• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"By numbers, StarCraft is bigger than the NHL" - Blizzard CEO

Revenant

by the numbers I believe I'm the best poster neogaf has to offer, I hope these numbers increase next year, as it is in the numbers

other than saying they broke viewership numbers this is basically a guy hyping his product. There was talk of how the "MLS had taken over NHL and was soon to overtake basketball in attendance numbers!!!! OMG."

then you look up the revenues and see that the the NHL and NBA are 3 and 4 billion dollar leagues and MLS is at .3 billion.

Awful lot of people acting like idiots and spewing misinformation about a league they know not even the first thing about.

I never understood the knee-jerk hate towards the NHL. It's like the league as a whole kicked everyone's dog off of a mountain.

TUSR

Banned
Awful lot of people acting like idiots and spewing misinformation about a league they know not even the first thing about.

I never understood the knee-jerk hate towards the NHL. It's like the league as a whole kicked everyone's dog off of a mountain.

Its cool to jump on the Canada hate train of ignorance.

all aboard

Vexxan

I watch a lot of Starcraft but I still find it hard to believe even if you count all of the world watching SC versus only the people in US watching NHL.

zedge

:Americans

cept nhl gaf ones <3

I've tried watching hockey on TV and I just can't do it. I can't see the puck. I know highlighting it seems to be some horrendous thing for hockey purists, but I could do with the option.

Note: I'm Australian and my main sports are Australian Football and Cricket.

Hi fellow Aussie,

The reason you couldn't see the puck is because you were trying to see the puck itself. Thankfully HDTV makes that actual feat even easier, but with more game viewing experience you'll learn to see exactly who has the puck and where play is happening. Watch the players, the direction they're headed and trust in the cameraman making the play central to his filming.

Don't worry about the cool shit, there'll be replays. And with more viewing you won't even need to watch the replay to grasp what happened.

Like riding a bike, it just takes time and experience.

Aussie sports have dulled our senses and lowered our expectation for what "skill" and "excitement" is. Hockey will redefine those for you.

Seik

Banned
I think that's a bit exaggerated statement from Blizzard. I mean yeah, SC's numbers are pretty high, but...hmmm, not sure.

That said, can't wait for the Nordiques to come back!!! :D

wizard

Banned
To be fair, Gary Bettman hasn't spent years trying to destroy StarCraft.

Yeah he took a 400 million dollar business and brought it to 3.3 billion. He's grown the game and increase player salary across the board. I don't even like him, but an ignorant comment like this just gives people who don't watch the NHL the wrong impression.

RayStorm

To bring this thread back on topic for a bit, as much as it's possible for such a non statement: Somebody mentioned the WWE and their ridiculous "did you know?"-segments, which made me think a bit and come to the following conclusion: Couldn't it be that he was just comparing viewer numbers of Internet streams? Because as big even the smallest of the big 4 US/Canadian sports league is, I can believe that SC2 has more people watching their web streams compared to whatever the NHL offers in that regard.

lol like that's saying something. Lacrosse is probably bigger than the NHL.

8NZU6Dg.gif

Stet

Banned
Look, the big issue with what he's saying is that he's not taking into account the barrier of entry for fans. If StarCraft is being streamed online for free, obviously it's going to have more viewers than an NHL game that requires people to pay to view SportsNet or LeafsTV, or for people to pay hundreds of dollars to attend a game.

StarCraft also has stupidly low overhead for live games.

The only way he can say that it's bigger is if he compares gross revenue, which he won't because it would be a ridiculous comparison.

There's absolutely no point in even discussing it.

Curufinwe

lol like that's saying something. Lacrosse is probably bigger than the NHL.

Yeah, Lacrosse fills 19,000 seat stadiums around North America, has network TV deals, and the top Lacrosse players make $8 million a year.

I get that a lot of people are ignorant, but I don't get why they're so keen on letting the rest of us know that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wouldn't know it from my Facebook feed... where everyone lately is posting about the (eew) Rangers.
I'm an Islander and Sabre fan.

Although lately it seems that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" for the NHL. I don't really remember nearly the same level of excitement out of my FB feed before the lockout and subsequent re-start of the season.

their games aren't even on the bigger networks in America anymore. they fell off in popularity here.

NFL> >>> MLB > NBA >>>> NHL >>>>>>>>>>>MLS

that's pretty much how it goes.

the big 3 are american football, baseball, basketball over here

I'd argue that around NY (and possibly some other cities), MLB is even bigger than NFL.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Blizzard is probably using some silly math like "the total number of Starcraft 2 viewers at MLG was higher than a regular season NHL game".

"Hey guys, Starcraft is bigger than a small sport almost completely exclusive to one country that everyone makes fun of."

Congrats, I guess.

bumpkin

Hockey deserves way more love than it gets. It's a real shame to see such a great sport become so marginalized and ignored.
Truth.

Is hockey hard? "I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner, and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us, oh yeah did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick? Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."
-Brendan Shanahan
Every other game can suck it. Hockey for life!

Top Bottom