• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California gas prices 2nd highest in nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

http://www.folsomtelegraph.com/article/9/29/16/california-gas-prices-2nd-highest-nation

California state gas prices reportedly remain the second highest in the nation, as refinery issues in California continue to push prices upward.

“Strong demand in the West Coast region is currently pressing on limited supplies,” said Cynthia Harris, AAA Northern California spokesperson. “The drop in supplies can likely be attributed to issues at two California refineries earlier this month. The region also currently has the highest wholesale price for gasoline, which translates to higher prices for drivers.”

Northern California’s average price for a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline is $2.71— that’s $0.08 more than last month’s AAA reported price.

Danielle Barker, of Folsom, noticed since the last time she put gas in her car that the price went up slightly, she said.

I need to fill up, I've been looking at $2.68-2.80 a gallon in Reseda. What are you currently paying for gas?

jblank83

Welcome to every day since the beginning of time.

California is one of the busiest commuting states with the most total vehicles by far. They always get reamed on gas. Doesn't matter what the excuse is today. There could be zero refinery, production, or supply issues. California would still be gouged on gas.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
$1.79 - Central NJ

Isn't California always that high relative to other states?

Yeah I've been rather pleased with the prices in NJ this last year or so. Its not the cheapest in the country but the cheapest in the North East.

Tripon

2.85 down the street from work. Who is higher than CA? I'm shocked to see we're 2nd and not first.

Seriously, it's a long running joke at this point.

Hawaii or Alaska.

Hawaii because it's an island that needs to import its fuel. Alaska because despite it being an oil producing state, it has little to no actual refineries in the state, so it has to ship the oil to a refinery in another state, then ship the gas back up to Alaska.

johnny956

Only $1.98 in Kansas City.

Though honestly I would be ok with taxing it a bit more if it meant getting some decent roads.

Kansas City, MO or KC? Missouri has one of the lowest gas taxes in nation (5th lowest). I filled up for $1.79 in St. Louis. I know the last bill to keep the taxes in line with inflation failed. They won't even raise it 6 cents a gallon

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This is a headline? CA is always up there. It's like $2 in AZ. After it has hit $4, I feel like anything under 3 is a steal

tkscz

Paid 1.99 yesterday, with 70 cents worth of Giant Eagle fuel perks..... $1.29!

-Parma, Ohio.

$1.99 in most places here in Cincinnati, OH as well. Some places at $2.29 for like an hour then back to $1.99. Not sure why they're doing that.

GusBus

Unpopular opinion: gas prices should be doubled nationwide in order to help pay for desperately needed public infrastructure improvements and to encourage carpooling. See also: climate change and reducing CO2 emissions through less driving.

We pay less per gallon here than many folks in Europe pay per liter.

Unpopular opinion: gas prices should be doubled nationwide in order to help pay for desperately needed public infrastructure improvements and to encourage carpooling. See also: climate change and reducing CO2 emissions through less driving.

I'm inclined to agree, though it's never going to happen. Gas prices have historically been correlated with whether the incumbent political party gets more votes or not, so politicians will never increase gas taxes ever.

clav

Been that way forever although it doesn't compare to the high fuel prices of other countries.

Supposedly gas sold in CA has to adhere to a law about how much pollutant concentration is burned compared to fuel sold in other states. This has helped LA's smog problem as technically air quality has been cleaner compared to air quality decades ago.

Only some refineries make this type of fuel.

Therefore law makes production limited.

Recently there have been power outages that have affected production output. Thus, prices have increased.

Supposedly winter fuel transition laxes these emission rules.

They'll get back up there eventually...just wait.

pestul

It's about $4.80/gallon here in St. John's, NL Canada. Unless you go to costco and save a few cents. Even without the added 16c+ additional gas tax on top of the other gas taxes, we'd still be over $4/gallon.

Still way too cheap. Needs to get back to $4+. That's the only way people will become less reliant on cars and maybe even crap about climate change.

I literally couldn't afford to go to school right now if that happened. :(

I'd rather just see more push for renewable energies, and cars that either run on renewable energies or maybe electric cars.
Gas prices were about double a couple years ago, hasn't stopped anything.

£1.07 per litre where I am in the UK. Roughly half is various taxes, but still. It's roughly 4.5l per gallon, so around £4.81 in the UK for a gallon of petrol, which is around $6-$6.50.

There's a lot more to factor in than that, but it gives some perspective on how cheap petrol is in the US.

With the geography of the States, and it's societal reliance on the car due to how spread out everything is, you guys would be facing real economic issues if petrol prices ever approached UK/EU pricing.

Not unpopular, just completely impractical. Tons of businesses will go under immediately if that happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom