• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California gas prices 2nd highest in nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you poor babies. $2.70/gal is like 70cents a litre. It's like a $1.20/L up here in Canada, which is like $4.50/gal.

So you can sit on it. haha

okaay

Neo Member
Yeah but we are also required to drive long distances for work, and we don't have high taxes for things like Healthcare

I doubt the distance from home to workplace in the US is alot greater than it is in europe. If you hint at the lower population density, its even lower in most scandinavian countries and the prices there are about 3 times higher.

Cherubae

Our local station in the Portland area is $2.49 for premium, although I pay about $0.12 per kwh to fill up in the garage. (~4 miles per kw)

rokkerkory

Unpopular opinion: gas prices should be doubled nationwide in order to help pay for desperately needed public infrastructure improvements and to encourage carpooling. See also: climate change and reducing CO2 emissions through less driving.

We pay less per gallon here than many folks in Europe pay per liter.

Terrible idea and impact on the economy.

Have those electric green loving car drivers pay extra because they are not paying for the infrastructure they drive on

£1.07 per litre where I am in the UK. Roughly half is various taxes, but still. It's roughly 4.5l per gallon, so around £4.81 in the UK for a gallon of petrol, which is around $6-$6.50.

There's a lot more to factor in than that, but it gives some perspective on how cheap petrol is in the US.

With the geography of the States, and it's societal reliance on the car due to how spread out everything is, you guys would be facing real economic issues if petrol prices ever approached UK/EU pricing.

Yeah, everything being spread out is a problem, as public transportation where I live is horrible. My 20 minute commute to work would take 2 hours on the bus.

On average I fill up my car about every 10 days or so after putting about 350 miles on it. Though my car only gets about 23mpg and I have to put premium in it. I haven't payed more than $35 to fill it up, so I really don't have much to complain about.

styl3s

Around $1.89-1.93 where i live in TN depending on if you get it at Costco/Sams or a normal gas station.

Seen it as high as $2.20 across town.

t26

Not unpopular, just completely impractical. Tons of businesses will go under immediately if that happened.

Well those business will have to figure something out, since you can't rely on cheap gas forever. Of course they won't do anything as gas is still cheap

Allforce

Well those business will have to figure something out, since you can't rely on cheap gas forever. Of course they won't do anything as gas is still cheap

It's not just "those" businesses, it's EVERY business. The entire economy is built on goods being transported by trucks powered by gasoline.

You can sit back and be smug in your Prius while the roads get fixed but say goodbye to your 2 for $2 meals at McDonalds and say hello to a gallon of milk jumping from 1.79 to 5 dollars.

mhayes86

About $2.15-$2.30 in NoVA. I'm about to fill up before heading up to Maryland, where I believe it's closer to $2.30 when I was there just a few days ago.

n0razi

It always amazes me when Americans complain about the price of their petrol. It's so cheap there.

Not the same thing at all... the average American commute is at least 30 miles (so like 1000km for you guys). Also all our cars get 15mpg.

It's still stupidly cheap.

Unpopular opinion: gas prices should be doubled nationwide in order to help pay for desperately needed public infrastructure improvements and to encourage carpooling. See also: climate change and reducing CO2 emissions through less driving.

Agreed.

GulAtiCa

$2.39 in GA around Atlanta, GA. But... This is only cause of a recent pipeline leak/issue/shortage. Should go back down to around $1.99 again in a month or so.

t26

It's not just "those" businesses, it's EVERY business. The entire economy is built on goods being transported by trucks powered by gasoline.

You can sit back and be smug in your Prius while the roads get fixed but say goodbye to your 2 for $2 meals at McDonalds and say hello to a gallon of milk jumping from 1.79 to 5 dollars.

We had that moment when price of gas double overnight in 1979. We haven't done enough when that happen again

chifanpoe

Well isn't 85 regular by you?

E85 is ethanol goodness, corn gas, ~ 112-117 octane. (for those of us with engines tuned for it, it gets us a lot of cheap power, around 25hp and 35ft/lb on a 10.5 to 1 compression engine running 22-23lbs of turbo boost)

Regular is prob around 87 octane.

Future

Still remember the dark days a few years ago when it hit $5 a gallon

Not gonna lie: it incentivized me not to drive or carpool

SuomiDude

What you pay per gallon, we pay per litre.. in Scandinavia.
If my math is correct, our price here in Finland (at least the city where I live in) the price is 6$/gallon (=1,39€/liter). Btw, while Finland isn't actually part of Scandinavia, I think the prices are somewhat similar in other Northern countries around here.

Sorry had a brain fart. I also don't know why you'd put that ethanol garbage in your vehicle if you have non ethanol options though.

E85 has a much higher octane rating than normal premium fuel and is below $2 a gallon. To get the same octane rating from normal gas you'd be spending $8+ per gallon on race fuel. Using E85 is just logical if you have a high power car that can use it.

Doomsayer

I didn't read the article (just part in the OP), but who has the highest prices?

I'm paying $2.95-$3.15 for premium. It is madness.

I love how they cite that because of issues at the refinery we have to pay more. I wish when I fucked up I could charge people more at my job.

chifanpoe

Sorry had a brain fart. I also don't know why you'd put that garbage in your vehicle if you have non ethanol options though.

Very cheap way to add a good amount of HP and Torque on Turbo charged cars that are tuned for it. Much Higher octane and it helps cool/drop the mix to help fight detonation)

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced Engine Tuning/E85 Basics.html

https://www.fsrmotorsports.com/tuni...e85-and-what-you-need-to-know-about-flex-fuel

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/04/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ethanol/

Orange County, CA - Paid $2.79 to fill up, and that was premium. Regular was $2.59.

Was in Vegas last weekend, and it was $2.49.

If California is #2, which is #1 - Hawaii?

For some reason I thought this thread was seven years old or something and just got bumped again today as gas stands react to the OPEC news by jacking up prices.

All we need is for another 'emergency shutdown' of a California refinery and we're back at four bones per gallon, USA USA.

Sulik2

How about no? The USA has the money for the infrastructure, they just don't care about using it. They paid $800 billion dollars to bail out criminal banks instead of starting a modern new deal to fix the infrastructure and boost the middle class. Priorities not the amount of money is why the infrastructure in the USA is falling apart. And if you need more money tax the corporations and 1% that are paying way, way less then should be in taxes. Gas prices just hurt poor people.

johnny956

How about no? The USA has the money for the infrastructure, they just don't care about using it. They paid $800 billion dollars to bail out criminal banks instead of starting a modern new deal to fix the infrastructure and boost the middle class. Priorities not the amount of money is why the infrastructure in the USA is falling apart. And if you need more money tax the corporations and 1% that are paying way, way less then should be in taxes. Gas prices just hurt poor people.

If gas got that expensive it would cause a surge in electric vehicles and maybe make cities besides New York and Chicago care about public transportation. Instead we get more and more suburban sprawl because gas is cheap.

smisk

Amazing how big the range of prices. I filled up for $1.99 the other day here in Northern Virginia. Honestly I hope gas prices shoot up again soon to spur Electric Vehicle development and ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom