• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California gas prices 2nd highest in nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If gas got that expensive it would cause a surge in electric vehicles and maybe make cities besides New York and Chicago care about public transportation. Instead we get more and more suburban sprawl because gas is cheap.
LA cared the most about public transportation! Which other city cared enough to systematically dismantle and destroy it and build out in such a way that it can't realistically ever come back? Everyone else just let theirs be. Because they didn't care.

Anyway, I paid $2.76/gallon at Sam's Club in El Monte last night.

NeOak

$1.87, shoutouts to Houston, Texas, Oil/Gas capital of America
I think Costco has it at $1.79 atm

Unpopular opinion: gas prices should be doubled nationwide in order to help pay for desperately needed public infrastructure improvements and to encourage carpooling. See also: climate change and reducing CO2 emissions through less driving.

We pay less per gallon here than many folks in Europe pay per liter.

Unfortunately, can't happen like that :(

I'm surprised it's not the highest... Always thought California gas prices were the highest in the country normally.

Premium in Massachusetts is $2.70 or something. What I noticed is that gas stations really broke from the traditional "$0.10/per grade" unwritten rule once the recession hit. Regular used to almost always be $0.20 cheaper than premium, with plus or super being in the middle ($0.10 difference). But now, premium is like $0.45+ higher than regular or plus. Makes sense but stinks if your car wants premium and you don't want the engine to knock.

Just paid 2.30 in socal 🤑

It's not just "those" businesses, it's EVERY business. The entire economy is built on goods being transported by trucks powered by gasoline.

You can sit back and be smug in your Prius while the roads get fixed but say goodbye to your 2 for $2 meals at McDonalds and say hello to a gallon of milk jumping from 1.79 to 5 dollars.

Yup. Logistics costs are a mother fucker.

Unpopular opinion: gas prices should be doubled nationwide in order to help pay for desperately needed public infrastructure improvements and to encourage carpooling. See also: climate change and reducing CO2 emissions through less driving.

We pay less per gallon here than many folks in Europe pay per liter.

Europe's gas is more expensive because their cars get 3-4 times better mileage than US cars. Thus, the price appropriation.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Funny this thread comes about and then suddenly Chris Christie signs a 23 cent gas tax hike for all of New Jersey. Well guess we won't be so cheap anymore.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Even at almost $5 per gallon, we still drove just as much.

LA is doing a bit to further public transport, but the city was built with the car. It's not easy.

rrs

paid $2.07 yesterday
Oh no, $2.71 a gallon! What a burden. How do you cope?!
most of the united states lacks a population density to support mass transit, along with car focused infrastructure development for like everything, and decades of cheapish gas leave lower middle class with cars for piss for fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom