• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Irrational Games. Guess at what we are making!

Pikelet

Holy crap at the angry people, it blows my mind that people can get that worked up about this thread :lol

I think that there next game will be a shooter with a very different theme to what we are used to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We know it's a new IP based on comments from their CEO.

L.A. Times said:
Quality is a matter of pride for Zelnick, who points to the company's relationship with top talent, including brothers Sam and Dan Houser, who run Rockstar, and Bioshock creator Ken Levine, who was freed from working on the sequel in order to produce an original title that could become another franchise.
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/13/business/la-fi-ct-taketwo13-2010apr13/3

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Teknopathetic said:
If you guys hooked up with GarageGames to play with the Tribes license, I have a fertile womb to donate to Irrational Games. I mean shit, GarageGames is all about that Onlive shit now with InstantAction, so it's not like they're gonna use it for anything.

And it's not like Tribes Vengeance was bad...just...different. I'll take it any day over another god damned modern combat FPS.

SWAT 5 is an exception to that though. So long as it's not dumbed down Call of Duty/Rainbow Six Vegas junk.

I want these so bad.

So bad.

=(

Zizbuka

Banned
Irrational Games? Heard of you, nothing memorable though.

This does seem like a more pathetic/sad type of viral marketing.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Zizbuka said:
Irrational Games? Heard of you, nothing memorable though.
frylock2.jpg

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Vamphuntr said:
Not liking shooters is somehow linked to awful tastes?

It's always nice when people skyline themselves like this. I NEVER PLAYED SYSTEM SHOCK 2 BUT I'LL SHIT ON IT!

Good job.

Vamphuntr

WanderingWind said:
It's always nice when people skyline themselves like this. I NEVER PLAYED SYSTEM SHOCK 2 BUT I'LL SHIT ON IT!

Good job.

And your point is? I did not even comment on a game. My point is that it's his opinion. That's like saying you cannot hate Bioware games. If you don't like RPGs it's highly probable that you won't like their projects. It's not because you like something that's it'S OMG NO ONE CAN'T SHIT ON IT. And that was not even the case at hand here.

It has nothing to do with liking the games personally, both Irrational and Bioware have had an undeniable impact on the industry, hence the ignorance comment. System Shock 2 is basically the template for most story-driven FPS games, and is still considered to be the best game ever made by a large number of gamers, critics and developers.

Also, Freedom Force.

Vamphuntr said:
And your point is? I did not even comment on a game. My point is that it's his opinion. That's like saying you cannot hate Bioware games. If you don't like RPGs it's highly probable that you won't like their projects. It's not because you like something that's it'S OMG NO ONE CAN'T SHIT ON IT. And that was not even the case at hand here.

You did comment on their games. You said they were "nothing memorable", which is a stretch, if not wholly innaccurate. Even if you're not a fan of their games, saying that Freedom Force, System Shock, Bioshock, etc. are not memorable is wrong. Maybe you haven't experienced them, but you know of them and they are important to the industry for better or worse.

Zizbuka

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
:lol

You're either ignorant or have awful taste.

OK, so I checked their web site. Says they developed System Shock 2 and Bioshock. I seem to remember System Shock 2 being developed by Looking Glass, and Bioshock by 2K Boston (or 2K something).

So what exactly did they actually develop? Tribes was mediocore, Freedom Force was different but not earth shattering.

A game where philosophers fight each other to the death in a futuristic future sport.

Pedantic-Shock a role playing real time strategy game, because some times words are not enough.

Vamphuntr

jim-jam bongs said:
It has nothing to do with liking the games personally, both Irrational and Bioware have had an undeniable impact on the industry, hence the ignorance comment. System Shock 2 is basically the template for most story-driven FPS games, and is still considered to be the best game ever made by a large number of gamers, critics and developers.

I agree they both have made a big impact but you're still free to like them or not. Sure he could be ignorant or simply maybe he don't like their games? Taste is not linked to liking the game?

[

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zizbuka said:
OK, so I checked their web site. Says they developed System Shock 2 and Bioshock. I seem to remember System Shock 2 being developed by Looking Glass, and Bioshock by 2K Boston (or 2K something).

So what exactly did they actually develop? Tribes was mediocore, Freedom Force was different but not earth shattering.
Irrational is 2K Boston is most of Looking Glass.

Zizbuka

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
I agree they both have made a big impact but you're still free to like them or not. Sure he could be ignorant or simply maybe he don't like their games? Taste is not linked to liking the game?

[

They seem to have us confused. I liked SS2 a lot, Bioshock a good deal but didn't think it was ground breaking. As I said, I don't associate those games with Irrational.

Some gaffers are just a little too sensitive. :lol

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Zizbuka said:

HULK SMASH

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Zizbuka said:
They seem to have us confused. I liked SS2 a lot, Bioshock a good deal but didn't think it was ground breaking. As I said, I don't associate those games with Irrational.

Some gaffers are just a little too sensitive. :lol
I think you're a bit confused.

Edge said:
2K Boston has changed its name back to Irrational Games to keep its identity and legacy intact.

Irrational Games changed its name following an acquisition by publisher Take-Two but the studio has gone back to its roots to keep the legacy alive, reports Game Informer.

“After repeatedly being referred to as ‘2K Boston (formerly Irrational Games),’ the team members recognized a value in the previous identity and the legacy that was tied to it. So, the name was changed again; 2K Boston is no more, and Irrational Games is back,” says the magazine, which is set to feature an in-depth look at the studio in its latest issue.

Irrational Games was founded by former members (including Ken Levine, pictured) of System Shock and Thief developer Looking Glass Studios. Both games are now considered PC classics.
Source: http://www.next-gen.biz/news/2k-boston-renamed-irrational-games

Vamphuntr said:

Alright, since Zizbuka has proven that the real issue is that he's just awfully ignorant and incapable of looking at Wikipedia before running his mouth I'll retract the awful taste remark. Pals?

Flavius

HAI GAIZ WHO ARE DEEZ GUYS I SEEM TO REMEMBER VIDEOGAMEZ ARE GAMEZ PLAYED ON THE VIDEO WHICH IS OKAY BUT NOTHIN SPECATULAR!!!

Gorgon

WanderingWind said:

Good job.

Sorry to bother you, but where is your avatar from? I asked you in another thread but you didn't answer :lol
It kinda reminds me of something but I can't place it.

Sorry folks, please proceed.

Twig

Banned
I had forgotten that I called in for this a couple weeks ago. I hope I get picked! It would please me.

Gorgon said:
Sorry to bother you, but where is your avatar from? I asked you in another thread but you didn't answer :lol
It kinda reminds me of something but I can't place it.

Sorry folks, please proceed.
Doctor Who. Weeping Angels. One of the best things ever.

Zizbuka

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Alright, since Zizbuka has proven that the real issue is that he's just awfully ignorant and incapable of looking at Wikipedia before running his mouth I'll retract the awful taste remark. Pals?

If you have to look them up on wikipedia, wouldn't that mean they're not 'memorable'?

Sorry, not all of us try to keep up with all the developer moves/name changes. Some of us just play the games we like. If that makes me 'awfully ignorant' then so be it.

Twig

Banned
The problem is that you've proven your ignorance more than once in your attempt to argue that the games are not "memorable."

There's nothing wrong with ignorance. All it means is you have a lack of information.

Willful ignorance is another story entirely. As is talking about something when you are, in fact, ignorant.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Twig said:
The problem is that you've proven your ignorance more than once in your attempt to argue that the games are not "memorable."

There's nothing wrong with ignorance. All it means is you have a lack of information.

Willful ignorance is another story entirely. As is talking about something when you are, in fact, ignorant.

Irrational/Looking Glass games are only memorable to older PC gamers. Today's gamers honestly don't give a shit about Tribes, System Shock 2, Thief and whatever else. Especially Freedom Force or SWAT. In their eyes, Bioshock Shock was a 2k Game, not an Irrational Game.

Unless Irrational is going back to PC only, today's console gamer doesn't care about any of their "memorable" efforts of 11 years ago. In effect, they're starting from Bioshock (as in "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF BIOSHOCK!) now.

Kind of like no console gamer gave a fuck about Tim Schafer's past works when Brutal Legend came around. All they saw was a flawed game with Jack Black in it and wondered why this Schafer game was so popular when his game sucked. Play in the console world and you start over from zero.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kintaro said:
Irrational/Looking Glass games are only memorable to older PC gamers. Today's gamers honestly don't give a shit about Tribes, System Shock 2, Thief and whatever else. Especially Freedom Force or SWAT. In their eyes, Bioshock Shock was a 2k Game, not an Irrational Game.

Unless Irrational is going back to PC only, today's console gamer doesn't care about any of their "memorable" efforts of 11 years ago. In effect, they're starting from Bioshock (as in "FROM THE DIRECTOR OF BIOSHOCK!) now.

Kind of like no console gamer gave a fuck about Tim Schafer's past works when Brutal Legend came around. All they saw was a flawed game with Jack Black in it and wondered why this Schafer game was so popular when his game sucked. Play in the console world and you start over from zero.
I'm reminded of that Unreal Tournament 3 trailer.

"From the creators of Gears of War."

i know this probably isn't the place but whatever happened to their podcast? i know their probably really busy with the announcement of their game coming up and all but i would still really like to hear a new one

Kintaro said:

Sad, but true.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Kintaro said:
Irrational/Looking Glass games are only memorable to older PC gamers. Today's gamers honestly don't give a shit about Tribes, System Shock 2, Thief and whatever else. Especially Freedom Force or SWAT.
Freedom Force is the only game in that list that I've played.

Saty

Who cares if this is a new IP. 'Guessing' doesn't make sense when it could be anything but their prior games, which are naturally what people will guess.

Top Bottom