• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

Loxley

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm very pissed off about War not coming back. His explanation is bullshit. I bet they're just running out of time and can't balance the flag placements correctly. First bad thing I've heard about this game so far.

Makes sense to me. If Treyarch designed the mode and corresponding maps in unison to work well with vehicular combat in both CoD3 and W@W, then I'd imagine they'd have to approach designing WAR from a very different perspective for Black Ops. So I actually agree this possibly just came down to a time issue, but it's likely that having to rethink their approach to the mode due to a lack vehicles and confinement to smaller maps was the culprit. After all, it's one game mode out of a dozen, so allocating extra time and resources just to re-tool what is likely the third or fourth most-popular game type from W@W probably just didn't seem worth it.

It sucks that it's gone, but I have no reason to not believe them when they say it just wouldn't work on BO's maps, it's not like Treyarch have a history of lying to the community.

bluehat9

Classic team deathmatch, eh? Sounds good to me.

And a bit off topic, but what maps is the Hardened edition coming with? Enough to justify the extra 20 bucks?

Arnie

One bullet in the chamber looks awesome.

I'm mixed about this game, I usually purchase COD games, enjoy them for a few weeks then I hit the skill ceiling in the game where I'm just topping the leaderboards each game and it becomes mindless trash. I don't know whether it's the lack of proper skill based matchmaking or the game mechanics themselves but it just becomes a breeze to play which puts me off returning.

Neuromancer said:
Let's talk about bots more.

I think it'll be great for getting some of my friends who aren't that into online FPS into the game. I know for a fact that some of my friends flat out refuse to play shooters online because they just don't find it entertaining, but an FPS equivalent of a "comp stomp" would definitely appeal to them. Obviously I'll still be playing regular multiplayer, but I really like this addition.

Loxley said:
I have yet to play the game, but I've heard that Killzone 2's bots were outstanding.
They were very good but here's the problem: playing against them you never ranked up, which means you never got new weapons or classes. It got old fast. This game sounds like it'll have it's own ranking/XP system for bot play so it'll be much better I think.

Disappointed that there's so War mode. Probably one of the best modes in Cod. Glad to hear there adding Classic and Barebones. Nice to have it being simple again.

RavenFox

Banned
BAREBONES
-Bones TDM (12 players, Team Deathmatch, everything disabled. No Perks, Kilsltreaks, Attachments, or Contracts)
-Classic TDM (12 players, killstreaks at 3, 5 and 7 levels like MW1 did)

YES!
98016.jpg

amar212

Xux said:
BAREBONES
-Classic TDM (12 players, killstreaks at 3, 5 and 7 levels like MW1 did)

Triple win.

Now give me my beloved 3vs3 (not that 4vs4 shit) Team Tactical Classic and I'll even stop playing Gran Turismo 5 from time to time in order to fulfill my need to kill.

Odrion said:
bet they're going to sell the COD Cash. :lol

Again, I don't think they can. Wager matches kinda screw with that. If COD points can have monetary value, letting people gamble with them has certain legal implications in different states that I bet they don't want to deal with.

Disguises said:
A new interview here: http://www.gamertagradio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14799 (from Go nintendo)

A lot of stuff that's already been covered about killstreaks and such, but for Wii fans - they confirm a new headset to be released and VOIP due to a partnership with Nintendo.

I'm going to have a guess and say that the record-a-match feature isn't going to be available on the Wii version :(.

That's good to hear. Seems like they're really trying hard with this version.

divisionbyzorro said:
Again, I don't think they can. Wager matches kinda screw with that. If COD points can have monetary value, letting people gamble with them has certain legal implications in different states that I bet they don't want to deal with.
Is it still a legal issue if you can't redeem any sort of tangible reward?

Sushen

divisionbyzorro said:
I think it'll be great for getting some of my friends who aren't that into online FPS into the game. I know for a fact that some of my friends flat out refuse to play shooters online because they just don't find it entertaining, but an FPS equivalent of a "comp stomp" would definitely appeal to them. Obviously I'll still be playing regular multiplayer, but I really like this addition.
Appealing to casual gamers and skill based gameplay are mutually exclusive with each other. Casual crowd can't/won't compete with hardcore FPS group who constantly cry about how MW2 ruined their game with features that provide some chances to less skilled/less serious gamers.

Nobody likes to lose all the time regardless of their skill level.

So they're favoring the small cramped corridor shit found in MW2. I knew there was a catch with this game. Fuck. And I didn't even like War (fucking spawn campers).

I hope I'm wrong. Outskirts and Seelow Search and Destroy ftw.

Mr Sandman said:
So they're favoring the small cramped corridor shit found in MW2. I knew there was a catch with this game. Fuck. And I didn't even like War (fucking spawn campers).

I hope I'm wrong. Outskirts and Seelow Search and Destroy ftw.
How many maps do we know of already, was it 3 or 4? Anyway isn't one of them supposedly very open, the snowy one I think it was. I think Treyarch will have a good balance of both. I'm with you on preference, not a deal breaker for me but I like open maps as well.

-Pyromaniac- said:
How many maps do we know of already, was it 3 or 4? Anyway isn't one of them supposedly very open, the snowy one I think it was. I think Treyarch will have a good balance of both. I'm with you on preference, not a deal breaker for me but I like open maps as well.
Yeah true, but just the one dev's quote rubs kinda rubs me the wrong way.

aku:jiki

Loxley said:
Makes sense to me. If Treyarch designed the mode and corresponding maps in unison to work well with vehicular combat in both CoD3 and W@W, then I'd imagine they'd have to approach designing WAR from a very different perspective for Black Ops.
Did you even play WaW? It has like 20+ maps, about 3 of which have vehicles. War is available on all 20+ and it plays great on all of them (maybe excluding Dome). War actually works worse in the vehicle maps, because tank campers make flag capping impossible. His explanation is pure BS, just an excuse for something or other.

divisionbyzorro said:
This. There's no way in hell Microsoft will risk all the lawsuits by allowing little kids to gamble with real currency on Xbox Live. That isn't even about states in the US; this game is getting a global release and most western countries have a pretty strict 18+ law for gambling of any kind. My country doesn't even allow arcade games or pinball machines for under-16's!

Sushen said:
Nobody likes to lose all the time regardless of their skill level.
And that means that honest players who can't help that they're a little better at the game should suffer for it? Yeah, that's completely fair.

Myomoto

Bumblebeetuna said:
Decoy grenades are going to be awesome. I hope the fake gunfire sound they generate are random though.

I like the whole 60's spy gadgets stuff in general. Flame thrower attachments to assault rifles, mobile thermal cameras, experimental weapons like the prototype FAMAS and G11, etc.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Decoy grenades are going to be awesome. I hope the fake gunfire sound they generate are random though.
Yeah that actually sounds like a really interesting and potentially hilarious addition to the game.

Myomoto said:
I like the whole 60's spy gadgets stuff in general. Flame thrower attachments to assault rifles, mobile thermal cameras, experimental weapons like the prototype FAMAS and G11, etc.

wah?

Myomoto said:
Exactly. I'm so glad it's not another modern warfare game. Shit's becoming worse than WWII...Cold War was the best they could have chosen.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Is there a video of this masterpiece?!
There is but I don't know where to find it :/ It's infinitely times more awesome due to the fact that he puts a "second chance" guy out of his misery with it. So evil :lol :lol :lol

Mr Sandman said:
Exactly. I'm so glad it's not another modern warfare game. Shit's becoming worse than WWII...Cold War was the best they could have chosen.
That's how it is. People whined and complained about WW2 games, but now it's modern shooters being completely skullfucked. I always liked the older ones so I'm happy it's happening like that.

RJNavarrete said:
There is but I don't know where to find it :/ It's infinitely times more awesome due to the fact that he puts a "second chance" guy out of his misery with it. So evil :lol :lol :lol

ntaDm.gif

Just saw the clip, that really was awesome :lol

My friend just sent me this. It's a few hours old but I haven't seen it on here yet.

CAMOUFLAGE

-None
-Dusty
-Ice
-Red
-Olive
-Nevada
-Sahara
-ERDL
-Tiger
-Berlin
-Warsaw
-Siberia
-Yukon
-Woodland
-Flora
-CLASSIFIED

RETICLE DESIGN

-Dot
-Semi-Circle
-Lines With Dot
-Circle
-Smiley Face
-Arrows Horizontal
-Arrows Vertical
-Arrows With Dot
-Bones
-Burst
-Circle Within A Circle
-Circle
-Circle Outline
-Circle Outline With DOt
-Circle With Crosshairs
-Circle With Outer Lines
-Circle with Inner Lines
-Circle With Arrows
-Circle With Triangles
-Outer Crosshairs
-Small Crosshairs
-Large Crosshairs
-Crosshairs
-Crosshairs With Dot
-Diamond
-Diamond Outline
-Heart
-Radiation
-Skull
-Square
-Square Outline
-Square With Crosshairs
-Star
-Three Dots
-Treyarch
-Triangle
-Outer triangles
-X
-X With Dot
-Ying Yang

RETICLE COLOR

-Red
-Green
-Blue
-Purple
-Teal
-Yellow
-Orange
http://www.iplaycod.com/forums/93-black-ops-tips-guides/3700-black-ops-camos-reticles.cod

Fuckin' awesome.

Loxley

-Pyromaniac- said:
That's how it is. People whined and complained about WW2 games, but now it's modern shooters being completely skullfucked. I always liked the older ones so I'm happy it's happening like that.

The interesting thing is it took shooters with a modern setting half the time to become tiresome that it took WWII shooters. We'll say for nostalgia's sake that Wolfenstein 3D (1992) kick-started it, and Medal of Honor (1999) released in the wake of Saving Private Ryan is what really brought the setting to mass popularity in the industry, and let's say that WWII as a popular setting for games got the final nail in it's coffin (ironically enough) when Medal of Honor abandoned the WWII setting (2010); that's 11-18 goddamn years.

Whereas let's say the modern aesthetic was kick-started in 1999 with the release of Counter-Strike, and then garnered more attention with Battlefield 2 in 2005, and they brought to mass popularity (aka: the console market) with Call of Duty 4. We're barely over five years from BF2's release and people are already sick of the setting.

Granted that's greatly due in part to the surge in popularity of online shooters over the last five years. But still, it's funny to me how quickly we've already shunned the setting and (arguably) want to move on to something new. Hell, DICE has already been there with BF 2142; ahead of it's time? Perhaps the Blade Runner of online shooters? :lol

Top Bottom