• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

Stantron

Now that killstreaks don't stack, it may not always be worth it to risk death waiting for an earned care package to drop until after you reach your third killstreak, or you die before then.

Also, this looks like a cool killstreak setup. If there is no team spy plane up between kills 5-8, you might as well wait for your blackbird to maximize kills.

-Napalm Strike / 5
-Mortar Team / 6
-Blackbird / 8

Wish there was a way to cycle your available killstreaks. Say you've earned Spy Plane, Napalm Stike and Mortar Team in rapid succession. You're gonna want to put up the spy plane before calling in the strikes, yet the game always forces you to use you're latest earned killstreak first. Fix this Treyarch!

Nice, they included the Ak74u from mw but I hope it handles and sounds similar to the original; added with the FAMAS It will feel just like MGS :D

Portugeezer

Roxas said:
Did anybody in the UK see the ad that was played at half time of the England v Bulgaria game tonight?

Im surprised they have started advertising so early already!
Yep, and I loved the ad. (Activision loves to use Eminem music in their ads)

After that Halo Reach ad was shown.

Good day for ads.

ZeroRay

Xux said:
http://callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=269636

Vahn's asking about what the core playlists the game launches with should be. He doesn't like having too many playlists and thinks that not every game mode needs a dedicated playlist.

Agreed. If you can put a bunch of objective games under one playlist then go for it and have the more popular modes get their own playlists.

This game's looking like what I really wanted from MW2. Will get this since I got a hundred bucks to blow from my Birthday.

Xux said:
http://callofduty.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=269636

Vahn's asking about what the core playlists the game launches with should be. He doesn't like having too many playlists and thinks that not every game mode needs a dedicated playlist.

I'm fine with that as long as they don't go overboard with it like Halo 3 where you pretty much have no clue what you're gonna play when you pick a playlist. they can probably rid of the"pro" types and just make 1 good Headquarters and stick with it, and then consolidate "barebones" too. Maybe make a Hardcore moshpit.
As obvious as it is to combine demolition with domination with headquarters, etc...i think that's a bad idea. A lot of COD players are very adamant about which of the main gametypes they do and do not play.

On the opposite end, I just popped in mw2 for the first time in months and holy moley that's a lot of playlists. It was initially daunting for me, and I'm a veteran. But considering 200,000+ people were playing mw2 mp on a friday afternoon, I didn't have much issue finding a game.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Need a Mosh Pit-like playlist with everything in it. Except Free-For-All. No idea why the morons at Infinity Ward thought parties wanted to play FFAs.

I enjoyed the FFAs in moshpit. I thought they were fun as long as you weren't playing with asshats that took their stats too seriously. The change of pace with a random FFA can't get any...uh...changier.

meh.

I hope they avoid a lot of mosh pit style playlists. Call of Duty games are popular enough so that a good number of playlists are fine. We don't need to be herded into a tiny number of them. I don't like being forced into those mosh pit playlists hoping to get something I want. That's always been a strength. More playlists. More of what I want.

Hell there is nothing wrong with having a few dedicated rotating playlists that change out every so often so that you can concretely see what people like based on playlist numbers and just to have some variety instead of just guessing or listening to a small and unrepresentative population of forum posters.

Xux

Apparently the current setup on the development version is:

CORE
- Team Deathmatch
- Merc Team Deathmatch (no parties)
- Free for All
- Domination
- Ground War (TDM and DOMINATION on large(r) maps)
- Search & Destroy
- Capture The Flag
- Headquarters
- Demolition
- Sabotage

HARDCORE
-Team Deathmatch (12 players)
-Search & Destroy (12 player)
-Free for All (8 player)

BAREBONES
-Bones TDM (12 players, Team Deathmatch, everything disabled. No Perks, Kilsltreaks, Attachments, or Contracts)
-Classic TDM (12 players, killstreaks at 3, 5 and 7 levels like MW1 did)

PRESTIGE
(Nothing implemented yet - these would be play lists that you have to be a Prestige user in order to access. You know you will be playing with or against the best, most dedicated players, if you end up in here)

Not final and he says he's aware of the demand for more Hardcore and Barebones lists. He also notes that he thinks that's too many for Core.

Also, their current setup for the Wager Matches:

ANTE UP (FFA based, 6 players, low-buy in, parties allowed)
-One in the Chamber
-Sticks and Stones
-Gun Game
-Sharpshooter

WEEKEND GAMBLER (FFA based, 6 players, medium buy-in, no parties allowed)
-One in the Chamber
-Sticks and Stones
-Gun Game
-Sharpshooter

HIGH ROLLER (FFA based, 6 players, super high buy-in, no parties allowed)
-Pro Gambler (all 4 of the above modes, you are gambling now so ... it's gamble)

Also,

Vahn said:
- no "War" game type like World at War and Call of Duty 3. Go ahead and be angry about that and get it out of your system. That was a game mode built for super large maps with vehicles, which is not the direction we took Black Ops.
- no 3rd person version of these games. It's a First Person shooter. There are plenty of great 3rd person shooters on the market. Please buy one of those and stop yelling at me.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Xux said:
Apparently the current setup on the development version is:

- no "War" game type like World at War and Call of Duty 3. Go ahead and be angry about that and get it out of your system. That was a game mode built for super large maps with vehicles, which is not the direction we took Black Ops.

So the game is going back to W@W tiny restricted cramped maps (outside those 3 moderately large maps with vehicles).
Black Ops is shaping up to be worse & worse with every minute.

Xux said:

I think that first setup is exactly the sort of playlist style I would like to see. I could quibble on a few but the idea should be to please a wide number of people with specific playlists rather than multiple mosh pit style stuff where I'm forced into modes I don't want.

Dump the prestige playlist idea. That is pointless.

I still also like the idea of a couple of experimental rotating playlists that can be changed out often without having to do title updates.

EDIT: Also happy he pretty much confirms no vehicles (outside of the racecar and the killstreak stuff) with the war playlist comment. I mean I was pretty certain of that after the event but still nice to have confirmation. One of the other reasons I had issues with WaW. Don't try to turn my COD into a battlefield type game. Or if you do make that a completely separate spin off game.

Xux

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Wait hold on didn't War in W@W include medium-sized maps that had no vehicles? That sucks, War was tons of fun.

Yeah, they could just make more maps with the three flag setup. Though I guess that'd be pretty similar to Domination...even though Sabotage, Demolition, and SnD are pretty similar in concept. War coming back was one of the things I was excited about having Treyarch working on this.

While i like the FFA wager stuff i really wish that they did something with teams. Hopefully they're working on something atm that they haven't let us in on. if not, then meh.

Holy Shit, this is a MEGATON for me, I think I just got an orgasm, don't have to worry about any of the extreme stuff and play it like old times :D

BAREBONES
-Bones TDM (12 players, Team Deathmatch, everything disabled. No Perks, Kilsltreaks, Attachments, or Contracts)

DoomGyver

nweouc.jpg

M14 with acog on Summit

Deware80

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
Holy Shit, this is a MEGATON for me, I think I just got an orgasm, don't have to worry about any of the extreme stuff and play it like old times :D

WHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT???????????? Awesome:D

Just wish they would incoporate more modes instead of just TD but im grateful even for that

Nelo Ice

Banned
sweetvar26 said:

holy shit treyarch is going to deliver preorder confirmed!

scoobs

I'm honestly more impressed by what I've seen from this game than MW2... never thought I'd say that.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
i hope the maps aren't large like in MW2.

FFA was fucking awful in MW2 because of the size of the maps.

web01

no 3pv mode is fail it has more players in MW2 than other returning game modes...

edit: no regular team tactical WTF?

Guenther

BAREBONES
Yes!

kuYuri

- no 3rd person version of these games. It's a First Person shooter. There are plenty of great 3rd person shooters on the market. Please buy one of those and stop yelling at me.

WTF!?

I thought they said there were gonna be vehicles in the game. Did they get cut?

Also, War was in WaW on smaller maps, pretty lame reason for them to take it out.

aku:jiki

Strider2K99 said:
I thought they said there were gonna be vehicles in the game. Did they get cut?

Also, War was in WaW on smaller maps, pretty lame reason for them to take it out.
Yeah, this is BS! First bad news I've heard about this game. War doesn't require vehicles at all, what kind of nonsense is that? I was hyped about it coming back, it's easily my favorite mode in WaW. :(

One thing to consider is that the removal of stopping power essentially frees up a perk slot. In MW2 ~85-90% of people ran with SP as their red perk, yeah you'd get guys lightweighting with their UMPs or tacs or OMA/DCing but overall SP was by far the dominant red perk. As a consequence, it's virtually guaranteed that more people will run Ghost/Cold blooded and hence destructive killstreaks should in theory get less kills. I found that usually in MW2 people would just have CB in a dedicated stinger class.

It's intersting that ninja clashes with marathon now, it'll be more difficult to spawn rush stealthily though I guess you can equip lightweight as your first perk.

Wow there are now 8 SMGs! gonna be interesting to see how they differentiate them, btw that spectre smg looks beastly.

venom2124

celestial body said:
One thing to consider is that the removal of stopping power essentially frees up a perk slot. In MW2 ~85-90% of people ran with SP as their red perk, yeah you'd get guys lightweighting with their UMPs or tacs or OMA/DCing but overall SP was by far the dominant red perk. As a consequence, it's virtually guaranteed that more people will run Ghost/Cold blooded and hence destructive killstreaks should in theory get less kills. I found that usually in MW2 people would just have CB in a dedicated stinger class.

It's intersting that ninja clashes with marathon now, it'll be more difficult to spawn rush stealthily though I guess you can equip lightweight as your first perk.

Wow there are now 8 SMGs! gonna be interesting to see how they differentiate them, btw that spectre smg looks beastly.
I read that ghost only prevents you from showing up on the spy plane and blackbird killstreaks. It's similar to cod4 and waw where you are invisible to the uav but other killstreaks still actively hunt you.

Sealda

Banned
I really like Treyarchs attitude, they just seem to be more down to earth than Infinite Wards. It never felt like you had any real contact with IW and the whole community support with Robert Bowling was a joke. This is probably just because Treyarch always been in the shadows of IW so they had to develop differently, kinda like everybody love the smaller company until they get the big Microsoft then everybody hates them too. Its just the way companies and people who are not on the pedestal acts i guess.

Loxley

BAREBONES

Oh man I love what Treyarch is doing with this game. Everything I read that takes it one step closer to CoD4/WaW makes me a happier person. TD Classic, and smaller (hopefully more streamlined) maps is just OMG good.

Check Strider's post a little way up it looks like it out and it's probably a good thing because the mw2 maps weren't designed for that type gameplay.

I'm very pissed off about War not coming back. His explanation is bullshit. I bet they're just running out of time and can't balance the flag placements correctly. First bad thing I've heard about this game so far.

I hope Demolition stays it's own playlist. My friends and I play that 90% of the time and don't want to deal with domination if they merged. Too many people just camp flags and don't play correctly.

And I got to say, I'm a little surprised so many people were still against Treyarch. I thought 3 was the best WW2 and WaW was good for what it was. Obviously they couldn't compete with MW and MW2 since they were different time periods but I always thought they made great games.

Top Bottom