• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

zam

Blutonium said:
Some of us don't need to camp to get high kill-streaks, even though most noobs camp in hope for high kill-streaks, but campers are gonna camp no matter what

Blutonium

zam said:
Some of us don't need to camp to get high kill-streaks, even though most noobs camp in hope for high kill-streaks, but campers are gonna camp no matter what

Luckily we've got RC cars to drive up their asses :D

Blutonium said:

Seriously. The more kills you need for the killstreak reward, the more the campers camp. Lower killstreak rewards are way better, especially since killstreaks don't build up more killstreaks. Getting 11 kills by your actual work isn't as easy as getting 14 kills with the Chopper Gunner/AC-130 for a Nuke.

lame. no one answered my question about the ammo types :(

Otherwise though I'm pretty happy. Devoured most of the info yesterday and liked what I saw. I like MW 2 a lot but I like changes between the versions of COD and there seems to be a good number of changes here.

Most of the core changes to the game seem to be conservative. Like none of the new perks are essentially "new" which is slightly disappointing but the new game types seem pretty dope. I've always hated free for all matches in the COD series but now suddenly I want to play all those wager match types.

The theater mode thing I've always wanted. I think I'm more excited for that than anything. I like some of the minor balance change things I've seen so far.

I didn't care much for WaW mp but I like how the complete dedication towards black ops for them as a studio has translated into a lot of good stuff.

aku:jiki

Net_Wrecker said:
Seriously. The more kills you need for the killstreak reward, the more the campers camp. Lower killstreak rewards are way better, especially since killstreaks don't build up more killstreaks. Getting 11 kills by your actual work isn't as easy as getting 14 kills with the Chopper Gunner/AC-130 for a Nuke.
You know, I used to really agree with you, then I bought Bad Company 2. It doesn't even have any killstreak rewards whatsoever, but people camp harder in it than they do in any CoD!

I think zam's right; a camper is a camper in any game or situation. They don't know how to get kills any other way, and kills are the only thing that counts for the kids nowadays. If you win the match by capping everything by yourself but with a 8-15 KD, you're a terrible player according to popular opinion, so they do what they have to do to and they don't do it for the killstreaks per se. That's just the bonus.

aku:jiki said:
You know, I used to really agree with you, then I bought Bad Company 2. It doesn't even have any killstreak rewards whatsoever, but people camp harder in it than they do in any CoD!

I think zam's right; a camper is a camper in any game or situation. They don't know how to get kills any other way, and kills are the only thing that counts for the kids nowadays. If you win the match by capping everything by yourself but with a 8-15 KD, you're a terrible player according to popular opinion, so they do what they have to do to and they don't do it for the killstreaks per se. That's just the bonus.

But I don't care about a camper in Bad Company 2 because he will always lose without a good team around him. Camping, in MW2 especially, seems to be rewarded with how you can just hide in a corner after a Harrier and potentially end the game if you rack up enough kills without ever having to fire your gun again. Having the Killstreaks max out at 11, removing the Nuke, and having them not build other streaks means that EVENTUALLY, that camper is going to run out of options and be forced to move.

ZZMitch

zam said:
Pretty much everyone in our crew has a cold-blooded + stinger class, and we either shout out if we are gonna switch and take a harrier/chopper/whatever down, or the unwritten rule is the first person killed by a killstreak switches and takes it down. You don't have to have the stinger equipped 24/7, just play with smart people who will switch to a stinger class as soon as a killstreak comes.

Well your crew was in the vast, vast minority :lol

zam

Blutonium said:
Luckily we've got RC cars to drive up their asses :D
Yeah the RC looks like an awesome anti-camper weapon

ZZMitch said:
Well your crew was in the vast, vast minority :lol
Maybe you should start playing with a better crew? ;)

Net_Wrecker said:
But I don't care about a camper in Bad Company 2 because he will always lose without a good team around him. Camping, in MW2 especially, seems to be rewarded with how you can just hide in a corner after a Harrier and potentially end the game if you rack up enough kills without ever having to fire your gun again. Having the Killstreaks max out at 11, removing the Nuke, and having them not build other streaks means that EVENTUALLY, that camper is going to run out of options and be forced to move.
I would love it if that were the case, but I fear that realistically the campers will keep camping once they max out their streak (or just end the streak by suicide or running out and then camp for a new streak), the kids don't care about winning, just about getting lots of kills/high kdr. As aku:jiki said, in objective games barely anyone cares about winning, just getting tons of wins. If we win a game of demolition but have lower kdr than people on the team that lost, the losers on the other team yell out how we suck and that we are losers, they just play objective games cause they can potentially rack up more kills than in TDM cause the time-limit is longer and there is no kill-limit..

zam said:
I would love it if that were the case, but I fear that realistically the campers will keep camping once they max out their streak (or just end the streak by suicide or running out and then camp for a new streak), the kids don't care about winning, just about getting lots of kills/high kdr. As aku:jiki said, in objective games barely anyone cares about winning, just getting tons of wins. If we win a game of demolition but have lower kdr than people on the team that lost, the losers on the other team yell out how we suck and that we are losers, they just play objective games cause they can potentially rack up more kills than in TDM cause the time-limit is longer and there is no kill-limit..

Well yeah, a camper is a camper is a camper. People camped in CoD4 long after their Chopper was gone, and that was only a 7 Killstreak. At least Black Ops looks to be going away from REWARDING these people because MW2 was at an all time high with the amount of ridiculous things people were doing to stay alive for the Chopper Gunner/AC130 -> Nuke combo.

And again, the RC Car and Dogs will be getting up in people's asses come November. That should help matters.

zam said:
Pretty much everyone in our crew has a cold-blooded + stinger class, and we either shout out if we are gonna switch and take a harrier/chopper/whatever down, or the unwritten rule is the first person killed by a killstreak switches and takes it down. You don't have to have the stinger equipped 24/7, just play with smart people who will switch to a stinger class as soon as a killstreak comes.

My crew does the same, but the community in general sure doesn't! I don't think aku needs to worry about the community abusing anti-air killstreaks. :lol

Yes, I can, and they still suck, simply because (as zorro posted) they're a restriction, not a benefit. With a high sensitivity, good reactions and decent aim, you can win any CQC encounter with any weapon. It's not like a shotgun user is guaranteed a win against an M16 user in CQC, but the shotgun user is guaranteed a loss against the M16 guy at anything beyond 10 feet. Hence, the sucking.

When you play with a shogun, you don't run around as you would with a M16. You put yourself in a position where you won't be firing across a length that reduces the impact of the 1 kill shot. i.e indoors/defending flags etc.

The shotgun doesn't suck at all, as long as you're using it in the environment it fits in.

ZZMitch

zam said:
Maybe you should start playing with a better crew? ;)

I wish :lol When i play CoD I usually go in alone or maybe with one or two friends that are online at the time. Can't rely on randoms for anything I guess!

You'll find that they are the lowest scoring players too.

Campers in BC2 are so easy get back at due to the reveal of the players after the kill. Is he still there? Great, I'll sneak up and knife him. Or maybe I'll just find a spot and snipe him as well. It always works, unless the player moves after each kill - playing the sniper role as it should, meaning less camping.

Playing on Hardcore is another story, but still.....

Net_Wrecker said:
Well yeah, a camper is a camper is a camper. People camped in CoD4 long after their Chopper was gone, and that was only a 7 Killstreak. At least Black Ops looks to be going away from REWARDING these people because MW2 was at an all time high with the amount of ridiculous things people were doing to stay alive for the Chopper Gunner/AC130 -> Nuke combo.

And again, the RC Car and Dogs will be getting up in people's asses come November. That should help matters.

Exactly.
What most people call camping in COD is sometimes just protecting key spots in the map. It's strategic especially when you actually have a team that you play with all the time that knows their "role" in the team-strategy. It, by itself, is a reward. I don't really need to go 21 and 2 for "camping" the 3rd floor in Crash. I can got 8 and 2. I'm ok with that.
And as much as I like having an amazing KDR and tons of kills, getting a free kill or two with the RC car is plenty incentive enough to try to get 3 kills in a row. I don't need to hide and chain to get an air strike, then a harrier along with it for incentive to kill and not be killed.

Odrion

Banned
Where can I see a good example of the recoil? I hear that it's in but it doesn't look like it, especially when compared to COD4 footage.

iNvid02

Tomcat said:
Am I the only one who hates the rc car especially at only three kills?

no, i think that is the only problem with the killstreaks, 3 is too low for an almost
guaranteed kill, you get unlimited time so its basically guaranteed like a predator
missile i guess. should be 5, i think 5 would be perfect for it.

as for everything else, i think its great. no more camping for massive streaks.
there will of course always be camping, but this should reduce it.

THEN again, the RC should be brilliant against boosters who will just cheat anyway
to improve their stats, and the dogs should fuck them over too.

Odrion

Banned
They could keep it at three if you were able to hear it coming and can shoot it.

I got a feeling that Flack Vest will be able to keep you alive through one, making it an option for campers.

Camping - an issue as old as time. I agree that there's a difference with holding down an area and keeping a two ft. by two ft. area warm. I understand camping, but dont understand the popularity. Its SOOOO boring. Even if I get PISSED and go "fine, ILL CAMP!", I dont even get to 5 seconds before I get so bored im on the move again.

Reading more once I got home from work yesterday and watching more videos, I absolutely cant wait for this. Love the changes so far. :D

Mr. B Natural said:
Exactly.
What most people call camping in COD is sometimes just protecting key spots in the map. It's strategic especially when you actually have a team that you play with all the time that knows their "role" in the team-strategy.

This.

My role play style in any COD no matter what the game is pretty much the same. The longer distance the weapon I'm using. The less I move. I generally try to hold down areas. When I die and respawn I go around to the next area nearest to where I respawn. If I get too many kills in any area I generally try to move to the next area simply because its obvious that people will be flooding that area soon due to the killcam. Often people will accuse you of camping if you don't run around like a madman just like they are. Holding down a good area of the map is smart play whether somebody wants to call that camping or not. This will always be the case no matter what the game.

Not to say that there isn't true camping but I do tire a bit of everybody talking about campers. Especially in a Team Deathmatch context.

For what its worth I "camped" even more in COD 4 simply because you got two claymores default without having to use OMA so you could seal off more entrances.

MarkMclovin said:
You'll find that they are the lowest scoring players too.

Campers in BC2 are so easy get back at due to the reveal of the players after the kill. Is he still there? Great, I'll sneak up and knife him. Or maybe I'll just find a spot and snipe him as well. It always works, unless the player moves after each kill - playing the sniper role as it should, meaning less camping.
Oh, I'm sure you're totally right about them being at the bottom of the scoreboard, but that wasn't really my point... I was just saying that people will camp for the sake of camping, not specifically for killstreaks.

Mr. B Natural said:
Exactly.
What most people call camping in COD is sometimes just protecting key spots in the map. It's strategic especially when you actually have a team that you play with all the time that knows their "role" in the team-strategy. It, by itself, is a reward. I don't really need to go 21 and 2 for "camping" the 3rd floor in Crash. I can got 8 and 2. I'm ok with that.
And as much as I like having an amazing KDR and tons of kills, getting a free kill or two with the RC car is plenty incentive enough to try to get 3 kills in a row. I don't need to hide and chain to get an air strike, then a harrier along with it for incentive to kill and not be killed.
Sorry man, but if you spend your matches on Crash on top of the three-story, you're a camper, not a "strategical defender." I mean, what do you think camping is, if not "protecting key spots (or high traffic areas)"? That's exactly what it is!

It's another thing to do it next to an objective, but no game mode has an objective on top of the three-story on Crash so... :p

It's another thing to do it next to an objective, but no game mode has an objective on top of the three-story on Crash so... :p

No, but there is a bomb site on the second story. Keeping people out of the building is generally a good idea.

itsgreen

Sorry man, but if you spend your matches on Crash on top of the three-story, you're a camper, not a "strategical defender." I mean, what do you think camping is, if not "protecting key spots (or high traffic areas)"? That's exactly what it is!

I respectfully disagree.

Camping in my book is sitting in a dark corner, where it doesn't make sense and taking guys off when they pass by...

Sitting on top of the 3 story building is getting a tactical advantage... no camping.

Stoney Mason said:
lame. no one answered my question about the ammo types :(

What was your question?(Can't find the question)

On the subject of camping, no sympathy for the true campers that crouch in a single corner with an HBS, but I do make it my mission to humiliate them for being a pussy. I once had a C4 class and this one guy on skidrow kept going back to the same spot, and it was a TERRIBLE spot right next to an open window. I swear, everytime I tossed a C4 in, I'd kill him. Must have gotten at least 10 C4 kills alone on this wiener. He just had no clue.. He raged after that match and called me a modder. Good job loser, stop camping the same spot. :lol

Btw, did they confirm tac insertion?

In a team death match context where killing is the objective then a three story building that gives overview of both sides of the map, then the person or team who hold thats building is the smart team.

You make not like the particular design of that map in that you think there should be more ways to attack that building. Which is a reasonable complaint. But holding that building is smart in nearly every playlist on that map. If that's camping then camp me up.

The argument should be more about level design or weapons to attack an area in that case if there is an argument to be had.

Lionheart1827 said:
What was your question?(Can't find the question)

Earlier they mentioned different ammo type and gave an example of Dragon's Breath ammo. Are there other ammo types and which weapons can use them and what is there effect is essentially what I've been trying to find out.

It may be a campaign only thing but it sounded earlier like something that was in the MP so I'm not sure.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

Here's hoping there's some sort of anti-cheat mechanic to go along with it.

Fuck.

Well I guess in worst case scenario, at least well have some more booster justice videos from sandy ravage. :D

Stoney Mason said:
Earlier they mentioned different ammo type and gave an example of Dragon's Breath ammo. Are there other ammo types and which weapons can use them and what is there effect is essentially what I've been trying to find out.

It may be a campaign only thing but it sounded earlier like something that was in the MP so I'm not sure.

Ohh. I have no idea, that's actually the first time I heard about it-shows how much I've been paying attention.:lol

Another area where I hope Black Ops improves tenfold over MW2 is in its spawns. I haven't played too many FPS, but from what I have I gather MW2 has the most fucked up spawns in the genre. You can be running along and the game will literally spawn an enemy behind you essentially handing them a free kill. That and some maps weren't even properly utilized like in Sub-Base where past the initial spawns half the map goes unused.

Zabka

Camping used to refer to guarding power weapons in games, or waiting outside spawn points and slaughtering people with power weapons as they come out. Now people just use it to complain whenever they lose.

If you're dumb enough to get killed by someone who doesn't change locations in COD it's your own fault.

So is there any info on the theatre mode on PS3? Does it have video editing capabilities, can you upload directly to youtube or at least save it to the XMB so you can upload it from there?
And are tactical respawns actually back? Because they never seemed to get much use outside of boosters. Even with lower killstreak rewards I think people will still use them to boost, I once saw a pair of boosters in Demolition on Scrapyard FFS.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

Here's hoping there's some sort of anti-cheat mechanic to go along with it.

Should have F5'd before I posted.

Zabka said:
Camping used to refer to guarding power weapons in games, or waiting outside spawn points and slaughtering people with power weapons as they come out. Now people just use it to complain whenever they lose.

If you're dumb enough to get killed by someone who doesn't change locations in COD it's your own fault.

Spawn camping happens all the time in MW2 (specifically in Demolition and Domination), and is recognized as a legitimate tactic. I really hope BO does something about it.

So is Gaf's hate for Treyarch diminishing now or have they just left the thread?

Never understood the hate either, if I'm honest.

Blutonium

Zabka said:

Very often it's not just one person camping. I can't count the times I've watched a killcam, and the player not even moves, and just pull the trigger whenever he sees somebody run up a flight of stairs he's looking down on. Then when you respawn (usually 3 feet away because the respawning f***ing sucks) and you want to flank the bastard, another akimbo shotgun camper in the corner, completely oblivious to you, kills you.

I'm not a sore loser, and I know the difference between defending a strategic point and flat out camping. The latter being done very often, just for the killstreaks.

MarkMclovin said:
So is Gaf's hate for Treyarch diminishing now or have they just left the thread?

I never understood the hate for Treyarch either. World at War is awesome, and better than MW2 in many ways.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Blutonium said:
Very often it's not just one person camping. I can't count the times I've watched a killcam, and the player not even moves, and just pull the trigger whenever he sees somebody run up a flight of stairs he's looking down on. Then when you respawn (usually 3 feet away because the respawning f***ing sucks) and you want to flank the bastard, another akimbo shotgun camper in the corner, completely oblivious to you, kills you.

I'm not a sore loser, and I know the difference between defending a strategic point and flat out camping. The latter being done very often, just for the killstreaks.

I've got about 4000 matches in now and I have to say shit like this is extremely rare in my experience.

Zabka

Blutonium said:
MW2's spawn system is pretty terrible, but your example just sounds like you need to be more careful about blindly running up staircases. People covering each other is just good teamwork.
Spawn camping happens all the time in MW2 (specifically in Demolition and Domination), and is recognized as a legitimate tactic. I really hope BO does something about it.
Yeah the spawn camping in those games can be rough, but most complaints about camping are just impotent whining due to losing. I generally stuck to TDM in MW2 so it wasn't a huge issue to me.

MarkMclovin said:

GAF is GAF which means they can safely be ignored as a mass collective on just about everything. I've never been much of a fan of Treyarch. I've never especially liked their prior output outside of COD. I hated COD 3. I thought WaW was an improvement in most respects but I also didn't especially care for it or find it very fun. Someone else is free to have a different opinion on those subjects of course.

I'm very much into Black Ops. I like a lot of what they have shown. It seems like they have taken a big step. And if the game turns out to be fun to play and I put a lot of time into it, then I will look forward to their next product. But that doesn't mean the prior reasons I didn't like their output suddenly disappear and history gets rewritten because I may like their current output. That's the way it works for any dev. "Gaf hate" or "Gaf love" is generally irrelevant to whether I end up liking or not liking a game. If anything having the entire company focused on one product seems to have done good things for them. If that's what it took for them to put out something I'm excited about then good for them.

VaLiancY

Nice. Care packages that aren't modeled after gumball physics. No more losing packages to cliffs and out of border area anymore.

itsgreen

MarkMclovin said:

Activision is still evil untill further notice...

Don't know if it means anything but I just did a poo in the shape of the Treyarch logo...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
itsgreen said:
Activision is still evil untill further notice...

Don't know if it means anything but I just did a poo in the shape of the Treyarch logo...

Activision will probably sue you for that.

zam

Outdoor Miner said:
Another area where I hope Black Ops improves tenfold over MW2 is in its spawns. I haven't played too many FPS, but from what I have I gather MW2 has the most fucked up spawns in the genre. You can be running along and the game will literally spawn an enemy behind you essentially handing them a free kill. That and some maps weren't even properly utilized like in Sub-Base where past the initial spawns half the map goes unused.
Play objective games like Domination or Demolition, no more enemies spawning 5 ft away ever again (unless you are in their spawn, or if your team was stupid and capped all 3 flags on domination for no good reason).

I haven't touched TDM or FFA in months cause the spawns are way better in most objective games.

MarkMclovin said:

It's not really a hate, it's just pointing out that they're a team devoted to fixing IW's games, not making new ones.

Zabka said:
Yeah, that's not really how it works. Considering the perspective issue in CoD (he can see all of you but you can only see a few pixels of his forehead), the available kits (noobtubes say hello) and so on, it's not as easy as that.

Can we skip arguments from people who played MW2 for like 3 weeks back in november yet still think they're absolute experts on the subject? Oh wait, no we can't, this is GAF...

Zabka said:

Agreed for the most part, especially in MW2. It's a lot harder to kill a good camper in MW and WaW, but there's really not much of an excuse in MW2. There are so many ways to get into virtually every area that people love to camp. A far cry from the corridor choke point flow of maps in the other two games.

Loxley

Tomcat said:
Am I the only one who hates the rc car especially at only three kills?

From what I've seen, it appears to have the same explosive power/radius as C4. I wouldn't compare it to the Pred Missile as others have, chiefly because with the RC Car you have quite a few disadvantages:

~ You can control it forever sure, but the chances that someone won't find you eventually are pretty far fetched, considering how much ground on the maps is covered by both teams over a short period of time. So, if you choose to wait for a rainy day to actually blow the thing up, it's likely someone will have already knifed you or simply seen the car and blown it up themselves.
~ It can only move across flat terrain. What I mean by that is it can't jump or climb walls. It can't fly through holes in the ceiling or windows. It can go up stairs, but oh well.
~ Yet to be proven, but I'm more than willing to bet it can set of off Claymores.
~ I've also yet to see this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the thing only took one or two shots from any weapon to be destroyed.

I guess at the end of the day, the Pred Missile is invincible, whereas the RC car looks like it has at least a couple weaknesses. It certainly doesn't do as much damage or have as large of a radius as the Pred Missile.

Of course we all know there will be a million of those things driving around on day 1. Which I can definitely see as getting annoying, I actually think if they nudged it up to a four Kill-Streak I'd be a lot more comfortable with it.

Top Bottom