• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

aku:jiki

SmokeMaxX said:
If you're one of the "best players" or whatever, then how can you claim that shotguns suck? Can you get 30, 40, 50 kills with low deaths with a shotgun? And if so, then how do they in any way suck?
Yes, I can, and they still suck, simply because (as zorro posted) they're a restriction, not a benefit. With a high sensitivity, good reactions and decent aim, you can win any CQC encounter with any weapon. It's not like a shotgun user is guaranteed a win against an M16 user in CQC, but the shotgun user is guaranteed a loss against the M16 guy at anything beyond 10 feet. Hence, the sucking.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Some people just don't mesh well with particular things in games. I don't really snipe in MW2 so if I tried, I would suck at it. However, this wouldn't lead me to believe sniper rifles are broken. I just don't do it well, and I can admit that.
Sniping in CoD actually is kinda broken! :D

Well, at least IW can't seem to get it right. WaW was fine.

Since there is no stopping power, I hope there are more CoD4 type guns where depending on your range the base power is 50. M14 and M60 were two of my favorite guns.

Only thing left to make it good is to make silenced LMGs not weaker than silenced assault rifles.

3 - Spy Plane (Shows enemies on the mini-map; can be shot down)
3 - RC-XD (Remote controlled car strapped with explosives)
4 - Counter-Spy Plane (Temporarily disables enemy mini-map)
4 - SAM Turret (Airdrop a placeable SAM turret that destroys aircraft)
5 - Care Package (Airdrop a random killstreak or ammo crate)
5 - Napalm Strike (Airstrike that covers an area in napalm)
6 - Sentry Gun (Airdrop a placeable Sentry Gun)
6 - Mortar Team (Target three locations to bombard with Mortar Strikes)
7 - Attack Helicopter (Call in a support helicopter)
7 - Valkyrie Rockets (Launcher with remote controlled rockets)
8 - Blackbird (Shows enemies on the mini-map; cannot be shot down)
8 - Rolling Thunder (Airstrike that carpet bombs a targeted area)
9 - Chopper Gunner (Man the turret of an attack helicopter)
11 - Attack Dogs (Call in pack of attack dogs)
11 - Gunship (Call in a heavily-armored Gunship)

im glad they brought the dogs back, but is it me or are they too high up on the the killstreak list. I mean 11 c'mon they dont even do much damage and are easy to kill

SmokeMaxX

aku:jiki said:
Yes, I can, and they still suck, simply because (as zorro posted) they're a restriction, not a benefit. With a high sensitivity, good reactions and decent aim, you can win any CQC encounter with any weapon. It's not like a shotgun user is guaranteed a win against an M16 user in CQC, but the shotgun user is guaranteed a loss against the M16 guy at anything beyond 10 feet. Hence, the sucking.

Sniping in CoD actually is kinda broken! :D

Well, at least IW can't seem to get it right. WaW was fine.

I still disagree. Shotguns ARE a restriction, but that's the whole point of the class system. To be honest, if I made COD4, then someone with an M16 should lose a CQC fight with someone who has a shotgun at least 3 times out of 4. ARs are generally mid-long range and that's where they should dominate. The fact that M16s also dominate CQC was quite annoying. Regardless, someone who has a shotgun beats someone who has an AR more than 50% of the time. At longer ranges, someone who has a shotgun loses more often than someone who has an AR, but I'd never say it's guaranteed. That's where special grenades and evasive tactics come in hand.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
I don't get it, what do you guys have against Marathon/Lightweight? I can understand when combined with Commando, but by themselves, they are nothing worth even worrying about. Not to mention Marathon got nerfed back down to Extreme Conditioning level, so it's not as good.
That was my main beef with those two perks. Combining them with Commando and people were like freight trains running the whole map. But yeah, now with Commando gone you'll still have runners but they shouldn't be much of a problem now. I mentioned that in my earlier post. ;)

Me said:
Finally got to check out the info on this game and thank God, they took out Commando! Really, thanks. I wouldn't say that perk single handedly broke MW2, but imo it came close. Pair that perk with Marathon and Lightweight and some people were like freight trains.

So glad that perk is gone. Even though there can still effectively be runners by having Marathon and Lightweight in different perk slots. But without Commando they won't be as invincible to me as with the teleporting super slide.

The new wager modes sound really cool as well. Betting with in game currency and your stats in that mode are independent of the more competitive modes. Just another way for people to play the game if they don't want to play any of the usual modes.

Looks like a couple of really good changes.

Stantron

weplaycod.blogspot.com said:
The care packages will offer special weapons such as the death machine (chain-gun) and the grim reaper (missile launcher).
Not sure if this is in addition to or in replacement of the usual killstreak rewards from care packages. Wouldn't surprise me if it were the later.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
NightHawk17 said:
im glad they brought the dogs back, but is it me or are they too high up on the the killstreak list. I mean 11 c'mon they dont even do much damage and are easy to kill

do much damage?

They are 1 bite 1 kill.

I like the dogs though :D

dIEHARD said:
Do some of the gun models look bad to you guys? The 4 rocket LAW in particular looks really really bad to me.

Looks to me like the graphics took a hit, there's a lot less attention to detail on the maps and guns. You might think that I'm dissing Treyarch, but I may not be. If they decided to cut down on the unnecessary-to-gameplay graphics and physics in order to decrease ping then I'm all for it. If connections to games don't return to cod4 form (and hopefully improved) but stay mw2 quality, then yeah, I'm gonna be disappointed in how the game looks.

REV 09

I am super impressed at how dialed back the core of this game seems. It will probably be around the pace of MW1 only with the layers of MW2.

VaLiancY

NightHawk17 said:

I liked dogs because they broke up a team, people would switch focus off an enemy player to the dog. Put this on top of any other killstreak and it's complete havoc.

g35twinturbo said:
do much damage?

They are 1 bite 1 kill.

I like the dogs though :D
were they? well that shows how long its been since i played W@W:lol, i thought they pounced on you and then you had a chance to fend em off before the final bite.

i probably buy the attack dogs first thing as soon as i have enough points

SmokeMaxX

Dogs took two bites to kill unless it was hardcore I'm almost positive. The problem was once they attacked you, it was almost impossible to avoid the next attack unless you were already in the process of responding to the attack.

Xux

AnEternalEnigma said:

So me, since I'm one of those saintly team players, has UAV, Counter UAV, Counter Air Support, and Another UAV.

I just hope the Gunship isn't as invincible as the AC-130 was when I'm the only person willing to shoot down air support.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SmokeMaxX said:
Dogs took two bites to kill unless it was hardcore I'm almost positive. The problem was once they attacked you, it was almost impossible to avoid the next attack unless you were already in the process of responding to the attack.

Nope, I'm pretty sure it was a pounce and kill.

SmokeMaxX

g35twinturbo said:
Nope, I'm pretty sure it was a pounce and kill.
Well, that's incorrect. According to the CoD Wiki:
In World at War multiplayer, dogs can be called in by a player after killing seven enemy players consecutively without dying. The dogs spawn and attack enemy players on the map for 60 seconds. Friendly dogs appear as German Shepherds and enemy dogs are black Belgian malinois.

The dogs can be killed, but will continue to respawn until the 60 second cycle has ended. Dogs attack by lunging and biting at enemy players. Players can survive up to 2 dog lunges before dying in Regular modes, but only one in Hardcore.

Xux said:
So me, since I'm one of those saintly team players, has UAV, Counter UAV, Counter Air Support, and Another UAV.

I just hope the Gunship isn't as invincible as the AC-130 was when I'm the only person willing to shoot down air support.

We should play together.

No matter what I am going to just buy Halo for now, and watch Black Ops user comments and see how the game pans out. Then maybe I will buy it in the spring.

Well, I gotta say that all of his multiplayer stuff looks really promising. Before yesterday I was square on the "I don't want to play another CoD game" side of fence. Now I'm right on the fence, leaning more towards the "heck, why not" side. So I guess that's a win for them!

unomas

Banned
Interesting indeed with Blackops, didn't realize there would be gambling within the game. I'll probably buy it from Amazon with the $20 credit I'll get from Halo Reach.

Loxley

With regards to the gore (or lack thereof) I was just under the assumption that that they've removed it from the majority of the media for the time being; as some of it could be construed to be pretty disturbing, as it was occasionally in W@W. It's possible that the build the press got to play around with also had the hardcore gore removed. It's easier to reach out to a wider audience if intestines aren't flying around in press footage making it's way through the net ;)

I only bring this up because, if you remember, a dude got his leg blown clean off in the first teaser trailer. As pointed out by GT's Pop Block of that teaser:

Not too mention the melee knife-kill is still bloody as hell, as it was in W@W.

Unless of course it was confirmed by Treyarch that the gore was removed for the final game? I certainly hope it's still there, blowing the legs off Nazis (both living and undead) with the trench-gun in W@W was a satisfying experience :lol

Weren't there challenges in W@W specifically around the gore? I believe it was called "Gib Factory;" I remember getting it alongside Bouncing Betty challenges :lol

kuYuri

GeneralIroh said:
I hope someone ask treyarch about the gore in multi and if leaning will return for the pc release.

Lean was confirmed months ago.

divisionbyzorro said:
Weren't there challenges in W@W specifically around the gore? I believe it was called "Gib Factory;" I remember getting it alongside Bouncing Betty challenges :lol

Yep.

rezuth

johnFkennedy said:
Does the new care package marker sound bug anyone? Or the way the care package falls without any weight to it whatsoever? It's little details like these that bug the crap out of me.
I'll rather have that than to have it bounce around like crazy and kill me.

rezuth said:
I'll rather have that than to have it bounce around like crazy and kill me.

Yep.

And I guess from that video we see that the Blackbird is just an up-rezzed spy plane? It actually looks really good - you can see all of the enemies as well as exactly how fast they're moving and which way they're facing. I wonder if it can be shot down/countered as easily as the regular spy plane (considering how much higher of a streak it takes I would doubt it).

EDIT: I also LOVE how much risk you have to put yourself through to use the Valkyrie rockets. I suppose it doesn't matter that much, since killstreak rewards won't stack, but the fact that you have to call it in via care package and expose yourself outdoors somewhat is fantastic. Way better than the Predator missile's easymode kills.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

And I guess from that video we see that the Blackbird is just an up-rezzed spy plane? It actually looks really good - you can see all of the enemies as well as exactly how fast they're moving and which way they're facing. I wonder if it can be shot down/countered as easily as the regular spy plane (considering how much higher of a streak it takes I would doubt it).
According to the CoD Wiki it can't be shot down at all.

So those kill streak rankings are really low...like 11 for the best killstreak.

Does that mean kill streaks are really dialed down?

aku:jiki

Mr. B Natural said:
If connections to games don't return to cod4 form (and hopefully improved) but stay mw2 quality, then yeah, I'm gonna be disappointed in how the game looks.
CoD4 has much larger lag issues than MW2, Wanted bullets aside (which I think is the massive hitbox, not lag). Sadly, WaW is by far the laggiest of the bunch. Really hope they get that sorted. :/

I hope they make the dogs semi-local to each player or something this time; nothing worse than when you're in full control but your knives just keep missing the god damn dogs because the owner is lagging like crazy and you still get taken out.

AnEternalEnigma said:
The list looks great, but isn't it a little small? And why stop it at 11? Sure, remove the nuke if you have to (I don't have a problem with it), but give us something huge to strive for!

Also, who's gonna use the SAM turret, really? There's only like 3 killstreaks that actually stick around, and two of them are 9 and 11 kills and will be pretty rare now that the streaks don't stack. Needs more Harriers or PaveLows or something, maybe not as powerful as in MW2 but at least make the SAM more useful!

Unless a SAM site can even stop the airstrikes and UAV's from happening, in which case everybody will use it and killstreaks will eventually feel entirely useless. :/

Unless a SAM site can even stop the airstrikes and UAV's from happening, in which case everybody will use it and killstreaks will eventually feel entirely useless. :/

Dude, come on - you know the community as well as I do. How many people ever equipped Stingers in MW2? Or counter UAVs? If it doesn't kill, nobody uses it. :lol

zam

divisionbyzorro said:
Dude, come on - you know the community as well as I do. How many people ever equipped Stingers in MW2? Or counter UAVs? If it doesn't kill, nobody uses it. :lol
Pretty much everyone in our crew has a cold-blooded + stinger class, and we either shout out if we are gonna switch and take a harrier/chopper/whatever down, or the unwritten rule is the first person killed by a killstreak switches and takes it down. You don't have to have the stinger equipped 24/7, just play with smart people who will switch to a stinger class as soon as a killstreak comes.

Blutonium

The list looks great, but isn't it a little small? And why stop it at 11? Sure, remove the nuke if you have to (I don't have a problem with it), but give us something huge to camp for!

Fixed

I still agree though...I love a lot of killstreaks, but it enforces camping like a bitch.

Top Bottom