• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

Hyunkel6 said:
How do the prices work?

Edit: Nvm. Just saw the video. Looks great.

You earn money doing challenges and playing games, it is basically the new XP system, except that you can buy your stuff instead of just unlocking it.

buy teh haloz said:
Are pistols the only sidearm now?

Thank god, I am guessing they will let you carry launchers and pistols/machine pistols, Shotguns go under primary weapons so yeah, more balanced now.

I would have loved for the removal of Akimbo but whatever...

EDIT: My bad, double post, figured somebody would have posted already.

itsgreen said:
Not sure how I feel about the money thing. I don't like change :)

Is there a list with the descriptions of the killstreaks?

What does the SR71 do?

Maybe it will be like an enhanced UAV.

Ideas: 1)super fast refresh rate, 2)shows directions enemies are headed, 3)shows a realtime view of the radar but for half the time (15 seconds), 4)combo of a spy plane and counter spy plane 5)combo of any of the above.

I dont see what else it could do really. The plane wasn't a bomber so thats most likely out. Hmmm.

aku:jiki

Net_Wrecker said:
That's a great idea because THAT'S THE CLASS THAT YOU PICKED. Have you played Battlefield Bad Company 2? Forcing a user into one primary weapon is a GOOD THING. The shotgun user gets saddled like that because that user opted for a close range class, period.
But the difference and problem is that Dice shotguns have no max range, and the pellets don't just disappear after a certain range. They do in CoD, including WaW and this one (as you can tell in the clips where he's using that double-barreled one). A shotgun user in a Dice game can stand a chance outside his range, because his weapon is still damaging the enemy. That's not the case in CoD, where the shotgun user just gets destroyed if the opponent is even 10 feet away. Not even Shipment is a small enough map for shotguns!

The solution would have to be to redesign how they do shotguns, but with the miniscule health in CoD games, they'd just be opening a whole new can of rage if they extended shotgun range. The design is fine as is, but they are not useful as primaries.

Net_Wrecker said:
And yes secondary shotguns means I can have one too, but when there are angels of death raining down on you and I'm the only one that wants to carry a launcher to help the team, when would I ever get the chance to use a Shotty in secondary?
Sorry, but you're doing it completely wrong. You're not supposed to have a Stinger on at all times, on all your classes. When air support gets called in, you kill yourself, switch class and take it down, then you switch back to the class you were using. It's not the game's fault that you can't be bothered to do this and the game should not be redesigned with that in mind!

MW2 has evolved the series - it's not just "primary all the way until you run out of ammo in a tight situation and have to fast swap" anymore; both primaries and secondaries have different parts to play now and I think that makes it much more interesting.

aku:jiki said:
How is it a great idea, exactly? Everybody else has a long-range and short-range weapon (the handgun, dur), why can't shotgun users have the same setup? How is it fair that the shotgun user gets saddled with 2 close-range weapons and 0 long or even medium-range?

Also, when shotguns are secondary, that means that you can have one too. Not just the shotgun whore you're so annoyed by.

Your benefit for picking a shotgun is that you have a devastating close quarters weapon. Why should you have a great ranged weapon AND a great close quarters weapon? It just makes the game more balanced and more strategic.

sweetvar26 said:
Thank god, I am guessing they will let you carry launchers and pistols/machine pistols, Shotguns go under primary weapons so yeah, more balanced now.

I would have loved for the removal of Akimbo but whatever...

EDIT: My bad, double post, figured somebody would have posted already.
That's interesting. I hope they keep the machine pistols around in some capacity, they were fun to use.

EuropeOG said:
Hey, did they get rid of Stopping Power?

I hope they did.

Yep, they did.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Why should you have a great ranged weapon AND a great close quarters weapon?
No, the question is why not? Everybody can do it, so what's the problem? I really don't see how giving everybody the same side-arm makes the game more strategic, can you? In my mind, that just removes strategy, because it just means that everybody uses their primary 99.9% of the time and only switch to handgun when they have to. Again, I don't see how that's more strategic in any way, shape or form.

Cornbread78

zero margin said:
thank god

Oh know... It'll still be thsi loadout on almost every map...

Shotty, then:

Perk 1
Lightweight - Move Faster (Pro)

Perk 2
Sleight of Hand - Faster reloads.

Perk 3
Marathon - Longer sprint.

But the difference and problem is that Dice shotguns have no max range, and the pellets don't just disappear after a certain range. They do in CoD, including WaW and this one (as you can tell in the clips where he's using that double-barreled one). A shotgun user in a Dice game can stand a chance outside his range, because his weapon is still damaging the enemy. That's not the case in CoD, where the shotgun user just gets destroyed if the opponent is even 10 feet away. Not even Shipment is a small enough map for shotguns!

The solution would have to be to redesign how they do shotguns, but with the miniscule health in CoD games, they'd just be opening a whole new can of rage if they extended shotgun range. The design is fine as is, but they are not useful as primaries.

Well that is the "style" of the game, and one has to get used to it. If you want to use a shotgun, have Marathon and Lightweight to get up close quickly, and punt people into next week. A class based game should have people playing in a class based manner. There was nothing wrong with the way it was in CoD4, and WaW

Sorry, but you're doing it completely wrong. You're not supposed to have a Stinger on at all times, on all your classes. When air support gets called in, you kill yourself, switch class and take it down, then you switch back to the class you were using. It's not the game's fault that you can't be bothered to do this and the game should not be redesigned with that in mind!

MW2 has evolved the series - it's not just "primary all the way until you run out of ammo in a tight situation and have to fast swap" anymore; both primaries and secondaries have different parts to play now and I think that makes it much more interesting.

If I have Scavenger on, I don't need to have a back up weapon, especially because I'm on the move all the time. Allowing everyone to have a Shotgun secondary, especially if one particular shotgun is BEASTLY broken like the 1887s were means that all bases are covered. There's no scissors to your paper, and no rock to that guy's scissors. If you pick a Shotgun, you should be made to switch how you play the game to accommodate for your weaknesses.

No, the question is why not? Everybody can do it, so what's the problem? I really don't see how giving everybody the same side-arm makes the game more strategic, can you? In my mind, that just removes strategy, because it just means that everybody uses their primary 99.9% of the time and only switch to handgun when they have to. Again, I don't see how that's more strategic in any way, shape or form.

Where's the strategy if EVERYONE and their momma has the option of having optimal choices at any range on one class without at least sacrificing something? An Assault Rifle user SHOULD be destroyed in close quarters, and a Shotgun user caught out in the open should be destroyed in the same fashion.

Cornbread78 said:
Oh know... It'll still be thsi loadout on almost every map...

Shotty, then:

Perk 1
Lightweight - Move Faster (Pro)

Perk 2
Sleight of Hand - Faster reloads.

Perk 3
Marathon - Longer sprint.

I can actually deal with that as at LEAST it's not a continuous sprint and the range is toned down supposedly. Plus if you decide to go shotgun you've committed yourself to close quarters fighting until you pick something else up.

It's not perfect but it's something I can live with and not have it be game breaking.

Net_Wrecker said:
A class based game should have people playing in a class based manner.
But that's not what CoD is about. It is decidedly not a "class-based game," it's a highly customizable FPS that does away with the class system. You can make a run and gun LMG kit, a campy SMG kit, or whatever, and are not restricted to a class system. This is not Battlefield!

Net_Wrecker said:
There was nothing wrong with the way it was in CoD4, and WaW
You mean aside from the fact that it's completely impossible to do well with shotguns in both of those games?

Net_Wrecker said:
If I have Scavenger on, I don't need to have a back up weapon, especially because I'm on the move all the time.
Again, you're looking at it the wrong way. The secondaries in MW2 are not "back-ups", they're weapons meant for other situations (mostly indoor fighting). If you don't have a close-range secondary for when you need to head inside, you're simply playing it wrong. No offense or anything, but you seriously need to realize that MW2 is not CoD4 and neither of them are Battlefield. Things change.

Net_Wrecker said:
Where's the strategy if EVERYONE and their momma has the option of having no range weakness?
The strategy is needing to know when and where to use certain weapons, which I'd say is much more strategic than using your primary all the time, in all situations.

Sorry but that makes no sense to me. If everyone can just overload on power weapons then there is little strategy involved. However, if equipping one great weapon means you have a weakness somewhere else, but you can mix and match perks to help offset that weakness, and then everyone else is also dealing with their own strengths and weaknesses, then there is the depth. This is pretty much how class based shooters have worked forever. MW2 went away from the more strict rules and left it wide open, and we all know the result. A magnificent clusterfuck of broken gameplay elements.

sweetvar26 said:
You earn money doing challenges and playing games, it is basically the new XP system, except that you can buy your stuff instead of just unlocking it.

There's still an XP system that unlocks WHAT you can buy. If you're comparing to rpgs, the money is just your gold.

But that's not what CoD is about. It is decidedly not a "class-based game," it's a highly customizable FPS that does away with the class system. You can make a run and gun LMG kit, a campy SMG kit, or whatever, and are not restricted to a class system. This is not Battlefield!

OK, so the classes are customizable, but it's still a class based game at heart. Before you unlock the customizing, the only options available to you are, get this, CLASSES dealing with specific playing styles.

You mean aside from the fact that it's completely impossible to do well with shotguns in both of those games?

It was not completely impossible, just harder, as it should be. You have to pick and choose your spots, and change the way you play. Unless the guns are completely reworked as you said, then the Shotguns will always be hardest to use, but they SHOULD dominate in close quarters.

Again, you're looking at it the wrong way. The secondaries in MW2 are not "back-ups", they're weapons meant for other situations (mostly indoor fighting). If you don't have a close-range secondary for when you need to head inside, you're simply playing it wrong. No offense or anything, but you seriously need to realize that MW2 is not CoD4 and neither of them are Battlefield. Things change.

The strategy is needing to know when and where to use certain weapons, which I'd say is much more strategic than using your primary all the time, in all situations.

Well we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point because I think the secondaries on spawn should always be a back up weapon UNLESS you sacrifice a perk to have a primary as a secondary. Allowing everyone to have all their bases covered on spawn, even if you need the talent of knowing when to use them, is just too much IMO.

SCHUEY F1 said:
I only used shotguns in Cod4 for maps that it made sense to use it in, which is the way it should be.

Best example for that is Vacant, District etc. I did use the Auto-Shotgun in that game on certain maps and used to do pretty decent with it.

I never use Juggernaut but people used to be pretty happy with the Shotgun/Juggernaut combo.

SaggyMonkey said:
There's still an XP system that unlocks WHAT you can buy. If you're comparing to rpgs, the money is just your gold.

Didn't know that you still have to unlock before you can buy, interesting.

Bumblebeetuna said:
Sorry but that makes no sense to me. If everyone can just overload on power weapons then there is little strategy involved. However, if equipping one great weapon means you have a weakness somewhere else, but you can mix and match perks to help offset that weakness, and then everyone else is also dealing with their own strengths and weaknesses, then there is the depth.
But the strengths and weaknesses are still there even if you can equip different weapons? I don't see your point. If switching was instant and could be done in the middle of a firefight, I'd agree with you, but it's not. If you don't have the right weapon out before the encounter occurs, you will lose. Still the same strengths and weaknesses, just with the improvement that you're allowed to prepare yourself for any situation if you know the map and flow of traffic, and the added bit of strategy in that you now need to know when to use which weapon.

I mean, we can't ignore the fact that CoD games are centered around survival and killstreaks. That's the goal for most people who play, and I'm with them. I want to stand a chance in most situations so I can keep that streak going, and allowing different secondaries for different situations helps me with that and since everybody can do the same thing, I don't see a problem with it.

Bumblebeetuna said:
I still play CoD4 and WaW more than MW2 and I played CoD4 today; it's not false in the slightest.

Net_Wrecker said:
OK, so the classes are customizable, but it's still a class based game at heart. Before you unlock the customizing, the only option available to you are, get this, CLASSES dealing with specific playing styles.
You unlock create-a-class at level 4 in all CoD's. That equals something like 20 minutes of playtime, getting from level 1 to level 2 is two flag caps in Domination. Point being that nobody uses the default classes so your argument is moot.

sweetvar26 said:
I did use the Auto-Shotgun in that game on certain maps and used to do pretty decent with it.
There is no auto-shotgun in CoD4 and if you go shotgun on District, you must love dying.

Rickard

W1200, M1911
Grip
Double tap
Steady aim or Extreme conditioning

Was pretty much my main class in Cod4.

I hated countdown.

But the strengths and weaknesses are still there even if you can equip different weapons? I don't see your point. If switching was instant and could be done in the middle of a firefight, I'd agree with you, but it's not. If you don't have the right weapon out before the encounter occurs, you will lose. Still the same strengths and weaknesses, just with the improvement that you're allowed to prepare yourself for any situation if you know the map and flow of traffic, and the added bit of strategy in that you now need to know when to use which weapon.

I mean, we can't ignore the fact that CoD games are centered around survival and killstreaks. That's the goal for most people who play, and I'm with them. I want to stand a chance in most situations so I can keep that streak going, and allowing different secondaries for different situations helps me with that and since everybody can do the same thing, I don't see a problem with it.

Why are you so hellbent on having everyone be completely ready for every situation at hand? There has to be a downside SOMEWHERE in this method, and MW2 had NONE.

You unlock create-a-class at level 4 in all CoD's. That equals something like 20 minutes of playtime, getting from level 1 to level 2 is two flag caps in Domination. Point being that nobody uses the default classes so your argument is moot.

My argument isn't moot because CoD4 still required you to pick only ONE Primary style weapon unless you sacrificed a perk slot to make it otherwise. That means that MOST people would only have one Primary style weapon which still forces you to play YOUR class which is now the role of a close quarters soldier.

I still play CoD4 and WaW more than MW2 and I played CoD4 today; it's not false in the slightest.

The strengths and weaknesses are not still there. If a sniper picks a rifle and a pistol, he's got excellent ranged abilities and weak short range. If he picks a rifle and then akimbo shotguns or akimbo machine pistols then suddenly he has the same ranged advantage and he is perfectly fine with close range. With what you are describing, why even have different weapons? Lets just make one universal, generic weapon that is good at all ranges and be done with it? Then you'll be good to do no matter what situation you're in.

I never had any issue with shotguns in either of the first two games. I knew they were weak for ranged so I set up classes utilizing their short range abilities and usually dominated with them. There's that strategy. Must just vary depending on the player.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'd wish the people complaining would actually wait until they played the game before they started to complain, but whatever - Black Ops seems to look pretty tame (not in a bad way) gameplay-wise compared to MW2, but the feature list is pretty stacked...

Perks list being one of the tame areas - everything looks so safe and balanced, killstreaks being only earned by yourself and not by other killstreaks is a pretty big change as it'll stop camping in the sense that you don't need to just get 5 kills and chill in a corner anymore, you're gonna have to get out and get the rest yourself...

Again, bringing attack dogs back is the SHIT - I loved that killstreak in WaW, favorite killstreak in all of CoD to boot, and I swear if I didn't make up my mind to skip this game (hell if I can get it on the cheap, I'll still get it) I'd get it for Wage Matches and Attack Dogs mostly, plus the other changes here and there.

Of course it's still Call of Duty, why fix what sold by the boatload last year, but the changes are mighty impressive, not to mention making video clips of matches.

Odrion

Banned
They should balance RC cars by A: Being able to hear them coming for you and B: Not having them explode when you shoot them.

Foliorum Viridum said:
All this bitching about multiplayer ruined the MW2 thread, and now it's happening before this game is even out. Urgh.

We aren't bitching. We're calming discussing difference in philosophies regarding the balance or lack thereof involved with Secondary Weapon slots. But the bitching in the MW2 thread was completely warranted.

divisionbyzorro said:

:lol :lol :lol

Stantron

* 8 – Rolling Thunder $4500
* 11 Gunship $6000

Anyone have details about these killstreaks and how they work?

Bumblebeetuna said:
If he picks a rifle and then akimbo shotguns or akimbo machine pistols then suddenly he has the same ranged advantage and he is perfectly fine with close range.
Again; what's wrong with that? Where's the problem? The strategy isn't gone, it's just changed. As I've posted like 18 times now, the strategy in MW2 is knowing when and where to switch and making gambles based on that knowledge. This is not, in any way, "less strategic" or "more shallow" than constantly using your primary.

By default, only using your primary at all times is what's less strategic, because you're never switching it up on the fly and whatever class choice you make at spawn determines your strategy for the rest of the match.

Bumblebeetuna said:
usually dominated with them.
I call bullshit, and we both know it so just drop it. Like I said, I still play CoD4, so I'm not going to fall for any rose-tinted memories from 2 years ago, because I'm reminded daily of how the game works. The shotguns are useless, even on Vacant (the death trap corridors are too open and there are no alternate routes available).

Net_Wrecker said:
Why are you so hellbent on having everyone be completely ready for every situation at hand?
Because of the second paragraph in what you quoted.

divisionbyzorro said:
:lol

That guy would lose his fucking mind if he landed a triple headshot on the spawn snipe on Highrise. The bonuses from that carry on for like a minute. "First blood! Headshot! Longshot! Triple kill! Headshot! Longshot!" :lol

Stantron said:
* 11 Gunship $6000

Rolling Thunder is rumoured to be the stealth bomber based on one of the titles you unlock for it in MW2, and the Gunship is basically the Chopper Gunner.

Stantron said:
* 11 Gunship $6000

Gunship seems to be the same as that helicopter-scene from the SP. You could even see it in one of the MP-trailers.

I call bullshit, and we both know it so just drop it. Like I said, I still play CoD4, so I'm not going to fall for any rose-tinted memories from 2 years ago, because I'm reminded daily of how the game works. The shotguns are useless, even on Vacant (the death trap corridors are too open and there are no alternate routes available).

Not to buzzkill you too much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvI9yD2rVHs. He does drop the shotgun after a bit, but he was doing pretty well with it.

My basic experience in W@W was that while you could do well with shotguns, you were intentionally crippling yourself. Kinda like OnlyUseMeBlade - sure, he gets good gameplay only using a knife, but he's just crippling himself by doing it.

ultim8p00

Banned
Stantron said:
* 11 Gunship $6000

#8 Summons Dudley to punch your enemies while screaming all over the map

VASPER

Banned
Im really excited about no stopping power in this game, feels like a return to form. I loved COD4 and MW2 but i think i will enjoy this way more.

Again; what's wrong with that? Where's the problem? The strategy isn't gone, it's just changed. As I've posted like 18 times now, the strategy in MW2 is knowing when and where to switch and making gambles based on that knowledge. This is not, in any way, "less strategic" or "more shallow" than constantly using your primary.

By default, only using your primary at all times is what's less strategic, because you're never switching it up on the fly and whatever class choice you make at spawn determines your strategy for the rest of the match.

I'll just leave it here because we aren't changing each others minds on the subject: I just don't like the thought that everyone in the match has the option of having optimal weapons for all ranges on one class without having to sacrifice anything. You still have all your perks, your grenades, your knife, your secondary throwing item, killstreaks, etc. You are a super soldier, period. I like the fact that if someone picks a primary weapon, that person then has to play to his/her strengths and weaknesses unless that person either picks up someone's weapon, or uses a perk slot to have that second weapon. There was a much better balance to the matches until MW2 came around and just opened the playing field allowing ridiculous custom classes.

The strategy is gone. If everyone has the ability to be effective at every range then there is no strategy. What exactly is the strategy in switching between one power weapon and another? I have spent many a days worth of play time on MW2, I know how simple it is. It's no fluke that as soon as they removed the balance and allowed everyone in the game to equip secondaries that rivaled primaries in power that the game became a broken mess. In MW and WaW if I have a ranged weapon and someone is up close then I have to set them up so that when we do come face to face, I have as much of an advantage as possible since my short range weapon is much weaker to offset my powerful ranged weapon. As I make my way around a map with a short range weapon I have to constantly keep in mind that I need to be up close and personal with anyone I come across, I need to keep as short a distance as possible from everyone. In your scenario none of this strategy exists. If I have a sniper rifle and someone gets close, well, durr, just whip out my akimbo shotguns and lay waste to them. Hell, the shotguns are likely more powerful and effective than whatever rifle he's using anyway. If I am running around with a shotgun looking for some close quarters carnage and I see a sniper down the way, I just instantly switch back to my rifle primary and shoot him. Strategy? No.

I don't really care that you still play MW, you're probably the one and only person I have ever come across that claims the shotguns were worthless in the first two games. I think WaW's shotguns were weaker than MW1's, but in the right hands with the right play style you could dominate people with them. Again, must just vary by player. Give me a shotgun on Vacant, Crossfire, Crash, District, Castle, Dome, Courtyard etc etc and I could more than hold my own.

Anyway we're going to just agree to disagree. Sorry that you suck with shotties in the other games though :p

divisionbyzorro said:

What a perfect video to illustrate my opinion on the difference in strategies. Early in that video he has an enemy sitting somewhere and he can't just run out and get him because he has no range with his shotgun. So instead he flushes him towards some stairs, still unable to simply chase him because the enemy has a better ranged weapon, so instead he tosses a flashbang, hits him, then decides to chase and eventually kills him. In MW2 the same shotgun user would have just seen the enemy camping there, hid behind the corner for a split second to switch back to his primary rifle, then stepped out and killed him from range. No strategy involved imho. It's simple, the dude was too far away for the shotgun so just switch to your other power weapon. One of the main reasons MW2 is a broken mess imho.

Intentional or not, I like how the "full multiplayer reveal" turned out. Since Activision released limited numbers of press assests, most people have ended up relying on secondary sources and hands-on impressions. Reminds me of the days back when the internet wasn't nearly as popular.

Bumblebeetuna said:
What a perfect video to illustrate my opinion on the difference in strategies. Early in that video he has an enemy sitting somewhere and he can't just run out and get him because he has no range with his shotgun. So instead he flushes him towards some stairs, still unable to simply chase him because the enemy has a better ranged weapon, so instead he tosses a flashbang, hits him, then decides to chase and eventually kills him. In MW2 the same shotgun user would have just seen the enemy camping there, hid behind the corner for a split second to switch back to his primary rifle, then stepped out and killed him from range. No strategy involved imho. It's simple, the dude was too far away for the shotgun so just switch to your other power weapon. One of the main reasons MW2 is a broken mess imho.

I said I was done but yeah, that video is a perfect example. Numerous times he had to flank, and "outthink" his opponent because he was Shotgun Primary, and that just doesn't happen in MW2 because everyone has the option to work at all ranges without sacrificing anything.

Net_Wrecker said:
I said I was done but yeah, that video is a perfect example. Numerous times he had to flank, and "outthink" his opponent because he was Shotgun Primary, and that just doesn't happen in MW2 because everyone has the option to work at all ranges without sacrificing anything.

For what it's worth, a smart player in CoD4 would switch his pistol out the moment he had the opportunity, at which point he's just as powerful as the MW2 variant. MW2 just takes that step out of the equation.

There is no auto-shotgun in CoD4 and if you go shotgun on District, you must love dying.

I might not be saying it with the right name but it is the shotgun other than the pump action. Not sure about the number or the name, you can just spray the rounds.

No I did not die a lot, I managed to do decent on that map, my secondary with the shotgun used to be an RPG so it balanced it out for me. That used to be my fun class...

Top Bottom