• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

Roxas

_Alkaline_ said:
You know what I don't like? That the RC requires the same amount of kills as the UAV.

Now every single motherfucker is going to use the RC instead of the UAV.

Fucking CoD.

What happens if you kill a player who is in the middle of using the RC? Does it just end or are you allowed to continue when you respawn?

I'm ok with more unique modes being a major selling point to this game rather than a reinvention of other things about it. Modes sound fun and might actually make me like FFA again.

_Alkaline_ said:
You know what I don't like? That the RC requires the same amount of kills as the UAV.

Fucking CoD.
The car is a freebie kill on a surprising enemy but I bet that a few months in people will learn to 1) listen out for the rc car 2) the time it takes to deploy and drive it around, your character is left idle and defenceless 3) I personally like using a uav to see enemy placements, works well for me in mw2 at least. 4) rc cars most likely can not climb ladders :p

U2NUMB

Roxas said:
What happens if you kill a player who is in the middle of using the RC? Does it just end or are you allowed to continue when you respawn?

I assume it will be the same as now if you are calling in a strike.... you just respawn when your done but you get to finish your action.

Cobra84

_Alkaline_ said:

Fucking CoD.
No one used the UAV in MW2 either. Cold blooded and questionably effective direct killing kill steaks killed it.

The car looks terrible, so the UAV might have some life in it if people don't always pick the cold blooded equivalent.

U2NUMB said:
I assume it will be the same as now if you are calling in a strike.... you just respawn when your done but you get to finish your action.
I can't see them allowing you to keep driving an rc car when you die, instant detonation I would think.

No_Style

I don't want unlimited sprinting because I found the maps in these games to be small. You shouldn't be able to cover that much ground within such little time. And pairing that with Lightweight makes it even more ridiculous. Even more annoying? When people know the spawn patterns and are already outflanking your spawn position thanks to this perk.

Treyarch seems to be toning down things in general, if they left Marathon as it was, it would have been much more of a nuisance.

And yes, the RC XD is a cause for concern as it is. I thought it would be similar to the Predator missile where it's always moving, but you can steer it and add extra boost. As it is, I can see people camping with it and then chasing down unsuspecting people. (Yo dawg, I heard you like camping..)

---

What are we expecting with regards to bullet penetration? Closer to COD4 or nearly non-existent like in MW2?

iNvidious01 said:
:lol

the days of £40+ should be way over, never do that again man.
where did you buy it from actually?

I got it from shopto who are usually cheap :\
But if I can't find it for less than around £35 I think I'll wait this time no matter how awesome this game is starting to look - It's really hard to imagine how IW went so far backwards with mw2.

Just watched the vids this morning. Looks very promising.

-I really hope they don't make the RC car unlimited time. It should have like 10-15 second timer instead.
-LOVE that second chance is back-you have a group of friends it really helps out.
-I like how the killstreaks don't add to your current streak.
-Some of those new modes are gonna be fun as hell.
-No juggernaut/stopping power? Finally!
-Levels shown look pretty sweet.
-I didn't get a chance to examine all the perks since-what is hardened and warlord?
-Theater mode-oh baby-is there an upload feature, too? I don't know how Halo 3s worked since I don't play it.
-Was that an M14? :)
-I have a feeling there will be map glitches in the first 2 weeks of release.

Looks good so far. Gonna preorder when I get the chance.

Raxus

Lionheart1827 said:
Just watched the vids this morning. Looks very promising.

-I really hope they don't make the RC car unlimited time. It should have like 10-15 second timer instead.
-LOVE that second chance is back-you have a group of friends it really helps out.
-Some of those new modes are gonna be fun as hell.
-Levels shown look pretty sweet.
-I have a feeling there will be map glitches in the first 2 weeks of release.

Looks good so far. Gonna preorder when I get the chance.
May not be true until we can confirm the new perks but it is a nice change of pace to lost those perks. I hope Scavenger gets nerfed as well with rockets still being secondary weapons.

Killstreaks being completely earned is a long time coming since CoD4.

It is a shame there is no beta but if there are no vehicles (and they don't fire the whole development team) then hopefully it will balance out shortly after its release.

I really wish care package didn't exist. At least it is a 5 kill now.

iNvid02

Solid_Rain said:
I got it from shopto who are usually cheap :\
But if I can't find it for less than around £35 I think I'll wait this time no matter how awesome this game is starting to look - It's really hard to imagine how IW went so far backwards with mw2.

i ordered mine from jackofallgames for £31.99
delivered 1st class recorded on release

they're pretty unknown/small, but are an ebay gold powerseller
best price i could find for guaranteed delivery

Lionheart1827 said:

You know, I really like what Im seeing so far, and there's quite a few things I could list, but those two things right there are ACE.

My anticipation level has risen.

G_Berry

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:

Fucking CoD.

You know what would fix that? Giving the player who launches the UAV bonus XP for kills other players make on enemies that show up on the mini map.

Removing Stopping Power is a pretty good move, hopefully we'll see a lot more perk variety from now on. It's kind of weird how Tier 2 now has only one perk that was Tier 2 in the other games.

DoomGyver

copied from kotaku

Perk 1
Lightweight - Move Faster (Pro)
Scavenger - Pick up ammo from fallen enemies. Replenish lethal grenades. (Pro)
Ghost - Undetectable by the Spy Plane and the Blackbird.
Flak Jacket - Reduces explosive damage.
Hardline - Killstreaks require 1 less kill.

Perk 2
Hardened - Bullets penetrate better.
Scout - Hold breath longer.
Steady Aim - Increased hip-fire accuracy.
Sleight of Hand - Faster reloads.
Warlord - Equip two attachments to your primary weapon.

Perk 3

Marathon - Longer sprint.
Ninja - Silent movement.
Second Chance - Pull out your pistol before dying.
Hacker - Ability to detect enemy equipment and explosives.
Tactical Mask - Reduces the effect of flash and concussion grenades.

KiKaL

Gah, can't believe I'm actually wanting to pick this up now. Granted I will pick this up on PC as opposed to a console version like MW&MW2 so that will make it a little different. Hopefully I can hold off.

Does everyone really think the RCs are going to be that big of a deal? I mean, out the gate, Im sure everyone will try them out as they are the lowest new killstreak award. But, and I havent seen this, but Im guessing you can shoot the RC car, Im assuming the blast radius and power is similiar to C4, meaning most of the time, you'll get 2 kills tops if any, and those 2 dont stack towards other killsteaks, and youre vulnerable the entire time your driving it.

I mean, I know it will be more annoying in certain gametypes compared to others, I just dont see it being that big of a deal. I will definitely be using the Spy Planes! :D

EDIT: Looks like Ghost-Sleight of Hand-Ninja for me!

iNvidious01 said:
i ordered mine from jackofallgames for £31.99
delivered 1st class recorded on release

Thanks I'll have to have a look into it at some point because buying from pretty much all the established places looks like it's going to cost upwards of £40
Thank you Activision, thats why we love you!

Am I crazy or do the guns look less "realistic" and the movement looks more floaty, like the game is more a weird MW2/Battlefield hybrid.

No matter, I'll be getting this day one.

Disguises said:
Ah yes, I see it too. Good spot :)

Man, that would be absolutely fantastic if that turns out. Local split-screen online multi with my group of friends would EASILY be the best feature the series has turned out.

Disguises

TheApatheticOne said:
Man, that would be absolutely fantastic if that turns out. Local split-screen online multi with my group of friends would EASILY be the best feature the series has turned out.
Yea, it would have been useful the past few CoD games, lots of situations where I could have used that feature. Halo has had this feature since 2, so I'm surprised it's taken them so long to implement it to more games.

DoomGyver

I know the weapon stat bars are bogus 99% of the time, but why does the M14 have half the accuracy of the other ARs? It should be right up there with the FAL.

SmokeMaxX said:
The only thing "wrong" with WaW (after the map glitch problem, which was promptly fixed) was that it actually took skill to be good at the game. Dogs were easy to get rid of. Tanks were easy to get rid of. I stand by the fact that the Type 100 is a vastly superior CQC gun than the MP40. After looking at the data, I think the numbers were negligible either way, but the Type 100 just has a much better feel.

They were easy to get rid of but necessitated using up an entire weapon slot to do so and the only alternative was the constantly avoid them. Total pain in the ass. I hope by "different than they were in W@W" they mean "this RC car is the only vehicle in the game"

Maffis

The parks looks underwhelming. I guess it will be the usual deep impact, steady aim, marathon for everybody again because nobody will use hardline, flak jacket and hacker because they're so situational.

Looks like standard Treyarch "take the last iteration and put a few 'creative' touches on it" to me. I think I'm done with CoD Multiplayer. :\

REV 09

TheApatheticOne said:
Does everyone really think the RCs are going to be that big of a deal? I mean, out the gate, Im sure everyone will try them out as they are the lowest new killstreak award. But, and I havent seen this, but Im guessing you can shoot the RC car, Im assuming the blast radius and power is similiar to C4, meaning most of the time, you'll get 2 kills tops if any, and those 2 dont stack towards other killsteaks, and youre vulnerable the entire time your driving it.

I mean, I know it will be more annoying in certain gametypes compared to others, I just dont see it being that big of a deal. I will definitely be using the Spy Planes! :D

EDIT: Looks like Ghost-Sleight of Hand-Ninja for me!
RCs seem to be a lot harder to get a kill than the Predator missile from MW2. Predator missile seems to now be called the Valkyrie Rocket and it's also a 7ks instead of 5ks. SAM being a 4ks should also help balance the choppers.

The general feel of the vids seems to be significantly less hectic. I'm liking what i'm seeing, and like others, i thought i was done with CoD.

corrosivefrost said:
Looks like standard Treyarch "take the last iteration and put a few 'creative' touches on it" to me. I think I'm done with CoD Multiplayer. :\

I don't get that vibe at all. W@W was really just a CoD4 mod, but this looks to do a lot of creative things that haven't been done before. I think you're selling it way short by saying things like that.

EDIT: And I love that there is no more Stopping Power! Finally you can choose a perk that fits your playstyle without feeling like you're handicapping yourself.

paskowitz

Personally, my faith is slowly being restored. Its like they some of the good bits from Halo 3 and Halo Reach, kept the visual style of WAW, and then made sure it was all relatively simple like MW1. I hope Trayarc are quick to correct any balancing issues. Without any form of added health or added bullet damage the statistics of each gun will become very important.

Myomoto

Stopping power was such an atrocious design error. Glad to see that it's gone.

Damn, I think I'm starting to get suckered into CoD again.

VaLiancY

corrosivefrost said:

"Looks like Call of Duty."

Treyarch can't please everyone.:lol They add some new game modes, fixes some issues that plague the last game and add some new features.

"Still looks like Call of Duty"

Tomasu

Neo Member
So have my dreams finally come true? Can I say goodbye to martyrdom and that death streak BS?

Sounds too good to be true

Blutonium

G_Berry said:
You know what would fix that? Giving the player who launches the UAV bonus XP for kills other players make on enemies that show up on the mini map.

This.

Teamplayers need to get more rewards. By the way: I heard assists get you more points than an actual kill? (?!?)

aku:jiki

I'll go ahead and be the first one to say it, regarding the perk list: MARTYRDOM IS FINALLY FUCKING GONE!! I'm gonna throw a party tonight just to celebrate that. :D

Can't believe it took them three games to finally realize what a horribly game-breaking piece of shit perk that was.

No_Style said:
I don't want unlimited sprinting because I found the maps in these games to be small. You shouldn't be able to cover that much ground within such little time.
But why shouldn't you be able to cover ground? What argument is there against it? Being able to run infinitely certainly doesn't break other games, like Bad Company 2. It causes zero problems at all, in fact.

No_Style said:
What are we expecting with regards to bullet penetration? Closer to COD4 or nearly non-existent like in MW2?
Wut? There's more penetration in MW2 than in any other CoD.

Blutonium said:
Teamplayers need to get more rewards. By the way: I heard assists get you more points than an actual kill? (?!?)
It probably works like WaW did, meaning the assist points scale according to how much damage you did. One bullet, +1 XP. Three bullets and 90% of the guy's life, +4 XP. Assists also add to your team's overall TDM score, as do headshots and other bonuses.

I still say that if you do 90% of the damage and some bozo appears out of nowhere and sprays the last bullet, you should still get the kill and the random bozo should get the assist.

butts

G_Berry said:

This is an excellent idea. I wish they would do something like this to promote more teamwork-oriented streak selection.

Erasus

Seems like the ultimate CoD to me

-No stopping power!!!!
-No nuke!!!
-Guns have recoil!!!
-Wager modes seem awesome
-Currency instead of EXP
-Dedicated servers

Getting this Day 1!

Not sure how I feel about a lot of the stuff I am seeing. As pumped as I am about the lack of stopping power, killstreaks not building up other killstreaks, the new currency system and new modes etc etc, I'm equally skeptical when I see bullshit like akimbo, lightweight, and secondary launchers return. Why not make it like the first couple games, where a launcher took up one of your perk slots?

Gun Game or whatever looks sweet on paper but wouldn't it be even better in reverse? Like, you start off with the powerful shit and work your way down to weaker weapons? Imho that sounds a lot more exciting, knowing that for the leading player to continue progressing, he has to kill people who have better weapons than him. The way it worked in the videos, once you got a handful of kills, you had pretty good weapons for the rest of the match. And then the launchers come into play and it's not even about guns anymore, it's about seeing someone and taking you and them out kamikaze style. I don't know, just seems like it would be better in reverse.

I read someone talking about how killstreaks not stacking on top of killstreaks would lead to more camping, I don't think so. In MW2 one of the reasons camping works so well for the big streaks is because while someone is sitting there camping, their other killstreak awards are out there racking up kills for them. If they don't stack then the person would have to rely 100% on their own kills so it makes it harder. A camper is more likely to play safe and even run away when they're getting streak kills from choppers and harriers. When they have to sit there and engage the opposition over and over to build the streak, it's far more likely that they'll die imho.

Top Bottom