• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

Myomoto said:
Stopping power was such an atrocious design error. Glad to see that it's gone.

Damn, I think I'm starting to get suckered into CoD again.

Stopping Power existed because of sniper rifles. The idea is that a sniper has to make a decision when going stealth: when you're using a silencer, you can use Stopping Power to negate the damage loss, or you can go Cold Blooded to be fully invisible (and force yourself to get headshots to OHK). Of course, nobody ever silences sniper rifles anyway, so it became a moot point.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Stopping Power existed because of sniper rifles. The idea is that a sniper has to make a decision when going stealth: when you're using a silencer, you can use Stopping Power to negate the damage loss, or you can go Cold Blooded to be fully invisible (and force yourself to get headshots to OHK). Of course, nobody ever silences sniper rifles anyway, so it became a moot point.
Sniper rifles don't have silencers in CoD4, though. The only attachment available is ACOG.

knitoe

Perks are very shall I say stale.

I'll be surpass if anyone doesn't run Ghost, Hardened and Hacker. Only except I can see are runners with Lightweight and Marathon.

butts

Bumblebeetuna said:
Gun Game or whatever looks sweet on paper but wouldn't it be even better in reverse? Like, you start off with the powerful shit and work your way down to weaker weapons?

It works great in Counterstrike, and in that game there is even more of a heirarchy in weapon power. In general, almost all of the weapons in CoD games are balanced against each other, and only vary in play styles. It would be interesting though to see it in reverse order as an option.

knitoe said:

I'll be surpass if anyone doesn't run Ghost, Hardened and Hacker. Only except I can see are runners with Lightweight and Marathon.
Why Hacker? It's equivalents have never been particularly popular in any of the other games.

aku:jiki said:
Sniper rifles don't have silencers in CoD4, though. The only attachment available is ACOG.

Interesting. Well, I am just speaking from an MW2 perspective here; Stopping Power and snipers have an interesting relationship in that game. I'm actually curious to see if they'll let you silence snipers in BO with that relationship removed.

The more and more I go over the changes, the more and more excited I get. Time will tell about the execution of these changes and how the gameplay pans out, but in this stage of the game I really like everything Im hearing and am very excited now about this release. Day 1.

EDIT: One change I would like is less XP for kills in objective based games and more XP for achieving objectives and lending support in objective based games. Sure, in FFA and TDM, make kills worth the full amount, but in objective based games, the XP awarded for kills should be less, IMO.

But why shouldn't you be able to cover ground? What argument is there against it? Being able to run infinitely certainly doesn't break other games, like Bad Company 2. It causes zero problems at all, in fact.

It doesn't break Battlefield because the maps are massive compared to COD and it would be incredibly frustrating trying to make it across the map with limited sprint. And it has vehicles that cover ground much more quickly anyway so being able to run infinitely doesn't even affect the flow of the game whereas Marathon does in COD.

I still say that if you do 90% of the damage and some bozo appears out of nowhere and sprays the last bullet, you should still get the kill and the random bozo should get the assist.

I always felt that's how they they should have done Last Stand. Whoever killed them gets the points for it and whoever finished them off while they were in Last Stand gets a large assist (half of the points given for a kill).

knitoe

buy teh haloz said:
Why Hacker? It's equivalents have never been particularly popular in any of the other games.
In MW2, really helpful to see all claymores and grenades. Going assume Black Ops will have claymore equivalent and ability to seeing video camera. Only other tier 3 perk would be second chance which I have always thought was lame.

TheApatheticOne said:
EDIT: One change I would like is less XP for kills in objective based games and more XP for achieving objectives and lending support in objective based games. Sure, in FFA and TDM, make kills worth the full amount, but in objective based games, the XP awarded for kills should be less, IMO.

Your wish has been granted already.

knitoe said:

Scavenger/Sleight of Hand/Ninja for me. Is that really that surpassing?

The only thing I'm worried about right now is the RC Car, but that alone will not stop me from enjoying the game. The weapons look more balanced, the perks look more balanced, the BS perks are OUT, the MAPS AREN'T SWISS CHEESE, no shotguns on secondary, the dogs are still in, etc. etc. I don't know how anyone that liked CoD4/WaW couldn't be hyped for this. It really looks like they are pulling it back from MW2 which jumped WAY over the shark.

LQX

J2d said:
Fuck that, I'm sticking with MW2 then.
I don't get this. You can pretty much switch to a shotgun in MW2 and make it your primary weapon and plenty of people do.

knitoe

RJNavarrete said:
Scavenger/Sleight of Hand/Ninja for me. Is that really that surpassing?
Guess, you are going sniping? Personally, I die more to uav than running out of bullets. SoH only use in sniper rifle or class to shoot down air support. As for Ninja, without heartbeat sensor, what's the purpose? In case you run into someone with headphones?

Killstreak List:
FORMAT * KILLS - Name - Price of DLC
* 3 – Spy Plane
* 3 – RC XD
* 4 – Counter Spy Plane $1600
* 4 – Sam Turret $1600
* 5 – Care Package
* 5 – Napalm Strike
* 6 – Sentry Gun $3200
* 6 – Mortar Team
* 7 – Attack Helicopter
* 7 – Valkyrie Rockets $4000
* 8 – BlackBird $4500
* 8 – Rolling Thunder $4500
* 9 - Chopper Gunner $5000
* 11 – Attack Dogs $6000
* 11 Gunship $6000

Lawl. I don't know, I have played MW2 for over 10 days but I am not sure if I am ready for another COD

Cornbread78

Originally Posted by butts:
This is an excellent idea. I wish they would do something like this to promote more teamwork-oriented streak selection.

Diablohead said:
Team work in a CoD game? you mad!

Yeah seriously, CoD is made to be the epidomy of self-gratification and self glorification anywhere out there. (It's as American as you can get) Welcome to the "ME" world we live in these days.... Which is shy I'll play the $hit outta this, but with my eyes set on KZ3!

When I go shotgun whore with the spas 12 in MW2 I just change on spawn, can be a little annoying but its simple enough.

I'll say this now, not buying black ops until its around or close to the £25 mark in the UK which hopefully will be launch day at tesco :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, I'm with you. The primary/secondary argument on shotguns is pointless.

It's not pointless, I disagree. By FORCING Shotguns into Primary, they have in effect FORCED people to play a CQC style instead of always having a long range weapon to fall back on. Shotguns only on Primary is a GREAT idea, and should have stayed like that.

J2d

LQX said:
I don't get this. You can pretty much switch to a shotgun in MW2 and make it your primary weapon and plenty of people do.
I love my AA12 but there's no way I'd seriously use it in any way but as a room clearer. I never really clicked with CoD4 but how much use did the shotguns get there? I'm guessing not much.

If anything I don't get most of the MW2 complaints, "how dare he come at me with something else that a assault riffle" etc.

J2d said:
I love my AA12 but there's no way I'd seriously use it in any way but as a room clearer. I never really clicked with CoD4 but how much use did the shotguns get there? I'm guessing not much.

If anything I don't get most of the MW2 complaints, "how dare he come at me with something else that a assault riffle" etc.
Shotguns in COD4 weren't really used very often, but they were way, way worse than the MW2 ones.

butts

Cornbread78 said:
Yeah seriously, CoD is made to be the epidomy of self-gratification and self glorification anywhere out there. (It's as American as you can get) Welcome to the "ME" world we live in these days.... Which is shy I'll play the $hit outta this, but with my eyes set on KZ3!

I know, but that is the beauty of that idea; the extra XP is only useful for the person calling in the UAV (giving them a selfish reason to use it), while helping the team out immensely (going back to teamwork). Satisfies both sides without affecting the game with the selfish side of the reasoning.

Net_Wrecker said:
It's not pointless, I disagree. By FORCING Shotguns into Primary, they have in effect FORCED people to play a CQC style instead of always having a long range weapon to fall back on. Shotguns only on Primary is a GREAT idea, and should have stayed like that.

In MW2 it was entirely meaningless with the power of the machine pistols. Harping on primary vs. secondary is a pointless distinction unless you discuss it in combination with the power of guns like the PP2k and Raffica, since you could just roll with Shotgun/Machine Pistol and be just as strong as you just described.

aku:jiki

Net_Wrecker said:
How is it a great idea, exactly? Everybody else has a long-range and short-range weapon (the handgun, dur), why can't shotgun users have the same setup? How is it fair that the shotgun user gets saddled with 2 close-range weapons and 0 long or even medium-range?

Also, when shotguns are secondary, that means that you can have one too. Not just the shotgun whore you're so annoyed by.

TheApatheticOne said:
Awesome news, thanks!
It's been that way since CoD4, dude. :lol

Kills in TDM are +10, but in objective modes they're +5 and the objectives are +15-20. It's the same in WaW and MW2.

buy teh haloz said:
Shotguns in COD4 weren't really used very often, but they were way, way worse than the MW2 ones.

None of the Shottys in MW1 were anywhere as bad as the 1887's pre-patch in MW2. And plus, MOST people didn't bothers with Shotguns in CoD4 anyway. It was a M16 or MP5 fest.

knitoe said:
Guess, you are going sniping? Personally, I die more to uav than running out of bullets. SoH only use in sniper rifle or class to shoot down air support. As for Ninja, without heartbeat sensor, what's the purpose? In case you run into someone with headphones?
I main with Assault Rifles, so I run out of bullets pretty often seeing as how I get a lot of high killstreaks and I run a silencer 80% of the time (extra bullets needed to kill). Resupplying my ammo reserves is essential to my style of play. SoH will give me the edge in firefights where I may only have half of my clip left, for example. As for Ninja, I use Turtle Beach X11s myself, so I know how important silent footsteps are. I hate then I'm using commando classes and even my own footsteps are distracting :lol

Net_Wrecker said:
None of the Shottys in MW1 were anywhere as bad as the 1887's pre-patch in MW2. And plus, MOST people didn't bothers with Shotguns in CoD4 anyway. It was a M16 or MP5 fest.

Worse means worse in this case. As in "useless" and "not worth equipping."

Odrion

Banned
They say there's recoil now, but the videos say the opposite.

I like the perk lineup right now. They're getting it down where each one seems pretty damn useful, removing stopping power was a great idea. I'm excited to hear that it takes a little longer to kill people and will require a bit more skill to do so.

Looks good! I hope it's balanced.
How is it a great idea, exactly? Everybody else has a long-range and short-range weapon (the handgun, dur), why can't shotgun users have the same setup? How is it fair that the shotgun user gets saddled with 2 close-range weapons and 0 long or even medium-range?
Well, it means you're playing a short range class and you need to compensate by changing your playstyle. It's just like having a Sniper Rifle as a primary.

divisionbyzorro said:
Worse means worse in this case. As in "useless" and "not worth equipping."

Ohhhhhh :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
In MW2 it was entirely meaningless with the power of the machine pistols. Harping on primary vs. secondary is a pointless distinction unless you discuss it in combination with the power of guns like the PP2k and Raffica, since you could just roll with Shotgun/Machine Pistol and be just as strong as you just described.

Is that class possible in Black Ops? If it is, then forget everything I've been saying, but if you can only have a Shotgun + Regular pistol/Launcher/Crossbow, that is much more balanced than a Shotgun + Assault rifle with a potential grenade launcher.

Also, when shotguns are secondary, that means that you can have one too. Not just the shotgun whore you're so annoyed by.

That's a great idea because THAT'S THE CLASS THAT YOU PICKED. Have you played Battlefield Bad Company 2? Forcing a user into one primary weapon is a GOOD THING. The shotgun user gets saddled like that because that user opted for a close range class, period.

And yes secondary shotguns means I can have one too, but when there are angels of death raining down on you and I'm the only one that wants to carry a launcher to help the team, when would I ever get the chance to use a Shotty in secondary?

LM4sure

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
They weren't in WaW

I think the attack dogs in WaW could have been okay if the damn thing didn't last for what seemed like 5 minutes. Way too much attack dog going on there.

itsgreen

Not sure how I feel about the money thing. I don't like change :)

Is there a list with the descriptions of the killstreaks?

What does the SR71 do?

Hyunkel6

PetriP-TNT said:
Killstreak List:
FORMAT * KILLS - Name - Price of DLC
* 3 – Spy Plane
* 3 – RC XD
* 4 – Counter Spy Plane $1600
* 4 – Sam Turret $1600
* 5 – Care Package
* 5 – Napalm Strike
* 6 – Sentry Gun $3200
* 6 – Mortar Team
* 7 – Attack Helicopter
* 7 – Valkyrie Rockets $4000
* 8 – BlackBird $4500
* 8 – Rolling Thunder $4500
* 9 - Chopper Gunner $5000
* 11 – Attack Dogs $6000
* 11 Gunship $6000

How do the prices work?

Edit: Nvm. Just saw the video. Looks great.

AC!D

I don't care what anyone says, RC cars at 3 killstreak is going to be ridiculous. Sort it, Treyarch!

Otherwise, looking good.

Top Bottom