• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

Hans Zimmer absolutely sucked in Modern Warfare 2. Not one track is memorable. Just the usual Dark Knight-style pomp.

The soundtrack for World at War was amazing, had variety and completely blew that waste of money away.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Hans Zimmer absolutely sucked in Modern Warfare 2. Not one track is memorable. Just the usual Dark Knight-style pomp.

The soundtrack for World at War was amazing, had variety and completely blew that waste of money away.

Can you name a track that was amazing?

Sethos

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
Do the graphics in person look better than MW2?

Pure graphics, not really. Overall design, yes. Textures seems to be of high quality, the atmosphere is spot-on and Treyarch's work in the engine to improve render distances makes for some amazing backdrops.

Sethos said:
Pure graphics, not really. Overall design, yes. Textures seems to be of high quality, the atmosphere is spot-on and Treyarch's work in the engine to improve render distances makes for some amazing backdrops.

I have to say the lighting on Crisis looked very nice indeed.

Jb

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I couldn't disagree more, I can recall at least 4 themes from mw2. Saying it absolutely sucked is just ludicrous.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Can you name a track that was amazing?
The BGM in Vendetta went balls-out crazy at times (that mission was the highlight of single-player IMO), and I still remember the exact stanza they used in the one mission where they had to storm the beach. W@W had a very memorable SP campaign.

Meanwhile I don't remember any of MW2's music.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

In fact the main theme is a pretty basic variation of the TDK main theme. :lol

Thought the soundtrack for MW 2 was amazing. Very intense. Great stuff throughout.

Although I didn't care for WaW that much the one immediate stand out was that the music was very good in that also. It wasn't just your usual WW 2 orchestra music.

Sn4ke_911

RJNavarrete said:
As for the cover...

Shoulda gone with generic guy walking, imo.

CoD-Modern-Warfare-2-cover.PNG

Definitely.

I think this one is better.

1089434-hardened_edition_cover_tn_super.jpg

Yen

I'm gonna get an Xbox sometime soon (it would be my first hd console) and I was wondering about Nazi Zombies with regards to online play.
Do you need Gold membership?
Do you need an Internet connection for Zombies?
Will my 0.3mb Internet connection cause the Zombies mode to be all laggy and crap?

Yenrot said:
I'm gonna get an Xbox sometime soon (it would be my first hd console) and I was wondering about Nazi Zombies with regards to online play.
Do you need Gold membership?
Do you need an Internet connection for Zombies?
Will my 0.3mb Internet connection cause the Zombies mode to be all laggy and crap?

you can play Nazi zombies offline by yourself.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Couldn't possibly disagree more. The OST is memorable, action packed and epic, as it should be.

End Credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR56UVKk-t0

Boneyard Flyby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Y8knna-mg

Whitehouse Battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyH8rKZchOg&feature=related

Gulag Armory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48j2KR919Cg

venom2124

Sethos said:
Next two maps;

#5 Grid: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfh8hj_call-of-duty-black-ops-map-walkthrough-5-grid_videogames

#6 Hanoi: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfh9f8_call-of-duty-black-ops-map-walkthrough-6-hanoi_videogames

EDIT: As for the above, when I'm in splitscreen I got two massive black bars on the side ... Doesn't take up my entire 42", plus it seems to be running 30-40fps.
Hanoi looks awesome. Reminds me of WaWs nightfire. Thanks for these walkthroughs. Makes the wait a tiny bit more tolerable.

Sn4ke_911

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
The BGM in Vendetta went balls-out crazy at times (that mission was the highlight of single-player IMO), and I still remember the exact stanza they used in the one mission where they had to storm the beach. W@W had a very memorable SP campaign.

Meanwhile I don't remember any of MW2's music.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Black Cats.
Hells Gate.
Beach.
Reznov.
Brave Soldat.
Russian March / Red Army Theme (and its rock version)

Will check them out, thanks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MW1's theme by Harry Gregson-Williams was better than anything in MW2. Then again Hans Zimmer recycles so much it gets fucking offensive at times.

Loxley

Jay-B said:
I couldn't disagree more, I can recall at least 4 themes from mw2. Saying it absolutely sucked is just ludicrous.

Yup, Shepard's Betrayal and Control Room are my two personal favorites.

I actually didn't like W@W's soundtrack, like a lot of the reviews said; choosing to have hardcore rock playing over burning Japanese soldiers alive with a flame thrower or blowing of Nazi limbs with an LMG sort of de-valued the real life conflicts Treyarch were trying to represent in the game. Try to imagine the most fucking atrocious battles that were depicted in The Pacific but with some blasty-ass guitar riffs caked over it. Sure W@W had its fair share of sweeping orchestral stuff, but none of it really stood out to me from any of the other sweeping orchestral tracks from CoD1/2/or 3.

Basically I felt the soundtrack to W@W was completely contrary to the game itself. While I agree there's a lot of generic stuff in the MW2 soundtrack, I think Zimmer did an excellent job for a guy who's never scored a video game before. That said, CoD4 still has the best soundtrack of the series in my humble opinion.

Spookie said:
Talking of servers. Almost a week away and I still don't have access to the PC servers I paid for. Hmph.

Same. I have 3 of them coming and I haven't heard anything from gameservers.com. I gotta admit, I used to deal with that company and hated them. Started running my own servers on my own hardware at a local datacenter... and now all they do is sit there or host files, seeing that every game as of lately simply doesn't offer any customer facing dedicated game server software ;(

Guess I'll go put in some tickets to gameservers.com and see what'ss up.

Yen

grap3fruitman said:
It kind of defeats the purpose however.
I don't really care for playing online, to be fair. I played single player zombies at a friends house and it was pretty fun.

I didn't own a 360 when MW2 came out and so I picked it up on PS3. All of my play time of it and MW has been on the PS3. I now own a 360 and would like to know what, if any, significant performance issues there were with the engine on PS3 that may make BO better/worse than the 360 version. I am not too concerned about graphics because I imagine they are minor and my friends list on PS3 would counteract that (as I have far fewer 360 friends). However, if there are substantial MP performance issues then any feedback would be appreciated.

Jb

the_prime_mover said:
I didn't own a 360 when MW2 came out and so I picked it up on PS3. All of my play time of it and MW has been on the PS3. I now own a 360 and would like to know what, if any, significant performance issues there were with the engine on PS3 that may make BO better/worse than the 360 version. I am not too concerned about graphics because I imagine they are minor and my friends list on PS3 would counteract that (as I have far fewer 360 friends). However, if there are substantial MP performance issues then any feedback would be appreciated.
Having played a fair amount of it on both systems, I haven't noticed any significant difference between the two versions.

the_prime_mover said:
They're literally the same. I understand this gen has made this question somewhat relevant but believe me when I tell you the differences are worthless, and that's even if there are any, which I haven't noticed after playing the games on both platforms.

Get it on the platform where you'll have more fun or more people to play with.

UFRA said:
So when is the OT going up?

Only 8 days to go!!!

Tomorrow, somewhere around noon GMT (that's 5 AM PST, 7AM CST, 8AM EST).

Alternately, if we can convince the mods that we should use GMT as our timezone for putting up OTs, I could do it this evening ;)

Sethos

Banned
No problem guys, always good to hear someone enjoying it because I've embarked upon something that's taking a lot longer that I'd like :lol Still annoys me to no end that DailyMotion doesn't offer basic HD to normal users, such a waste my 720p videos are being compressed to hell and back - Why YouTube, why must thou' be such a corporate whore :(

Anyway, next batch;

#7 Havana ( Amazing map ): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfhakn_call-of-duty-black-ops-map-walkthrough-7-havana_videogames

#8 Jungle ( I managed to die, twice ... ): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfhbkx_call-of-duty-black-ops-map-walkthrough-8-jungle_videogames

Next up: Double Rainbows Nuketown

Sethos said:
No problem guys, always good to hear someone enjoying it because I've embarked upon something that's taking a lot longer that I'd like :lol Still annoys me to no end that DailyMotion doesn't offer basic HD to normal users, such a waste my 720p videos are being compressed to hell and back - Why YouTube, why must thou' be such a corporate whore :(

Anyway, next batch;

#7 Havana ( Amazing map ): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfhakn_call-of-duty-black-ops-map-walkthrough-7-havana_videogames

#8 Jungle ( I managed to die, twice ... ): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfhbkx_call-of-duty-black-ops-map-walkthrough-8-jungle_videogames

Next up: Double Rainbows Nuketown
Holy shitbananas Havana is a nice map. Jungle is hot too and lol at dying alone on a map =(

Keep it up. All the maps look great so far for the most part.

the_prime_mover said:

Matchmaking is a lot faster for me on PS3. But that's probably just my network.

the_prime_mover said:

It's not even worth mentioning but I noticed on the PS3 version there was a bit more texture pop in when you were first spawned into a multiplayer map. But it's like a difference of textures appearing 3 seconds later on PS3 sometimes to 1 second later on the Xbox 360.

It's such a minor and completely irrelevant thing that you would have to be out of your mind to base your decision on these or any of the other potential engine port issues rather than important things like controller-preferences or what system more of your friends will be playing on.

I NEED SCISSORS said:

The best part about the MW2 soundtrack is not being able to turn it off or down. Thanks Infinity Ward! You guys rock!

Seriously though, while I may not particularly remember W@W's soundtrack, I also don't remember it offending my aural sensibilities the way MW2's did.

RiverBed said:
Before I freak out, can someone answer this question: if the screen is from the 360 version, why does it have so many grenades? Is that a custom choice or a hack?

...what? If you're referring to 30/90, that's the gun ammo. Otherwise, I don't follow...

Top Bottom