• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT2|

kuYuri

Bowling: Infinity Ward will “not rely solely on platform security” after PS3 crack

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/17/blame-mw2-hacks-on-compromised-ps3-security-says-infinity-ward/

Infinity Ward community head Rob Bowling has said that it will no longer solely rely on the first-party security of consoles, following reports that Modern Warfare 2 online stats were affected on PS3.

PS3 Modern Warfare 2 players have reportedly had their stats hacked and, in some cases, fully deleted.

The news comes after PlayStation 3 was fully compromised by hackers this year.

One user on the IW forums described the situation as “horrible, just horrible”.

“Games rely on the security of the encryption on the platforms they’re played on, therefore; updates to the game through patches will not resolve this problem, unless the security exploit itself is resolved on the platform,” said Bowling.

“Regretfully, Call of Duty games are receiving the bulk of the hackers’ attention, due to its high player counts and popularity. However, the number of legitimate players severely outweighs the bad apples.

“If you are concerned about playing with players who are hacking, I encourage you to play exclusively with friends by utilizing the party or private match options in Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty 4 to avoid such players as much as possible until this issue is resolved by Sony.

“Let me assure you, while we are very reliant on Sony updating their firmware and security to address the core problem of this issue. We are looking at EVERY option available to us to help any user affected.”

Bowling concluded: “This only applies to legacy games such as Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2.

“In the future we plan to adjust our approach to not rely solely on platform security and reduce the ability for this to happen in our games, as has already been displayed by the work Treyarch has done on Call of Duty: Black Ops to prevent similar measures.”

The real issue is that they keep building on top of the same game and not fixing the issues, so the same code and exploits work from game to game. And this is also heavily reliant on the hacked user being host, which is another reason we need dedicated servers on consoles.

Edit: I just looked at the last page and saw that I posted basically the same thing days ago, haha. I don't even remember it, whoops!

Crap, I just rebought MW2 and COD4 on ps3 for cheap (all my games were stolen a couple months ago). I hope the hacking isn't too prevalent.

Bowling concluded: “This only applies to legacy games such as Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2.

Which means that you better sell MW2 while you still can get some pennies from it.

And I was so damn close to that SitRep level 6

legacyzero

Banned
Picked this back up again the other day, as BLOPS was getting kinda old.

A fun game over all, but BLOPS seems to be alot more balanced. too much firepower in MW2. Still good fun though.

VALKYRAY

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Two games today with Nuke-whoring. Surprised that people still do this.

Oh, and French people are sore losers.
are you sure they are french, they could be canadians you know

Untracked

maomaoIYP said:
I still get messages asking for 1600 MS points to join their prestige 10 lobby.
I can only play this game if I have Voice and Text set to Friends Only (360). It stops both the message spamming and the screeching children. Win Win!

Maximus.

It is sad that IW hasnt released a patch for this game on PS3 yet. I haven't played this game in ages now because of all the hacked lobbies and risk of losing all the stuff I've worked to get. Hoping for a patch sooner than later.

Fraull said:
It is sad that IW hasnt released a patch for this game on PS3 yet. I haven't played this game in ages now because of all the hacked lobbies and risk of losing all the stuff I've worked to get. Hoping for a patch sooner than later.
Sad, but not surprising at all. And I am so goddamn close to achieving every emblem and title without cheating, I am not going to risk it, eeeh. I am not a trophy whore, but going after the rewards in MW2 MP made the game so much more long lasting for me.

Fraull said:
There's really no worry unless you stay in the game. It's completely obvious right off the bat that it's a hacked match, and if you leave right away you'll be fine.

started playing this again after seeing this thread and boy is the stability of this game refreshing compared to black ops, if only they could combine the 2 games. the balance of black ops and stability of mw2.

having a ball playing, and the maps seem wayyyyy better than those on black ops imo.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
NightHawk17 said:
started playing this again after seeing this thread and boy is the stability of this game refreshing compared to black ops, if only they could combine the 2 games. the balance of black ops and stability of mw2.

having a ball playing, and the maps seem wayyyyy better than those on black ops imo.

I feel the same way and have been playing recently too. I love how polished MW2 is, until you get noobtubed constantly.

Jb

NightHawk17 said:
and the maps seem wayyyyy better than those on black ops imo.
Yeah that's the reason I actually MW2's MP more than BLOPS'.
Just from a visual standpoint they're a lot more appealing and varied. But that might also be because Blops is running on the WaW engine.

Yeah I too came back-and something amazing happens...when you shoot someone in MW2, you know they're going down. In Black Ops, it's a coin toss.

maomaoIYP said:
I still get messages asking for 1600 MS points to join their prestige 10 lobby.
(In complete monotone 12-y.o. voice) Message to all recent players...

Heh. It's enjoyable to revisit this game now. I think it's a pinnacle of FPS achievement. Until someone tops this game--like really brings it and OWNS the genre--I'll stick to racing and sandbox and the extensive library of stuff I've acquired in the past 5 years.

I was honestly never so addicted to a game as I was with this. I was Charlie Sheen-addicted to this thing. But now I'm being treated by Dr. Drew.

CozMick

Banned
Had fun playing this on 360 this afternoon.

6,000,000,000xp per kill in one lobby and a guy firing AC-130 shells from the hip in another lobby.

Good times!

kuYuri

http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/43813867020763136

Just received word that we expect the latest Modern Warfare 2 patch for Playstation 3 to be available March 8th worldwide. Addresses hacking

Holy crap, that'll be great. I don't have a problem with the hacks that allows everyone in the room to jump high or whatever.

But the ones that make people invisible, auto aim from across the map, and shoot people through walls is ridiculous and have to go.

Me and a few buddies were playing a little while ago and were dominating, there doesn't seem to be many good ps3 players left.

Nizz

Strider2K99 said:
http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/43813867020763136
And that's when I'll fire this game up again. :) Been wanting to try it but was worried about losing all my stuff. Thanks for posting this, sometimes it's hard to keep up on everything.

Seventy5

I wonder if they are going to reset their PS3 server on March 8th. My son played a hacked game a few days ago and went from level 22 to 70 with 1 kill, and it didn't reset after the game was over and he can't prestige or anything to get rid of the level. Total bullshit. Honestly, I will probably start playing MW2 again if they get the game stabilized with the patch. At least until some douchebag camps for a nuke and ruins my day.

CozMick said:

6,000,000,000xp per kill in one lobby and a guy firing AC-130 shells from the hip in another lobby.

Good times!
whaaaaa

so I don't need to bother playing it again?

UFRA

Too late.

I already got "de-ranked" and lost all of my shit.

No gun attachments, all perks back to standard status instead of pro, no camos, etc...

Hundreds of hours spent, lost in 4 seconds.

Morn

Banned
But how long will the patch last? With the way the PS3 hack works, they can just go in and make a new hack within minutes of the game being patched.

Ovid

CozMick said:

Good times!
The fuck???

Dreams-Visions said:
whaaaaa

so I don't need to bother playing it again?
I play MW2 every weekend (on the 360) and I never see hacked lobbies. Actually, I haven't seen a hacked lobby since early last year. Although you do occasionally run into the nuke whoring douche bags.

It's still safe to play.

kuYuri

Interesting move from IW... they are apparently planning on going back and update CoD4, in addition to MW2. Maybe they finally hired enough people to do this work.

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=373630

Update: The Modern Warfare 2 patch was successful in eliminating much of the ability of hackers, however we have identified other areas that were vulnerable and have added additional security enhancements to the Xbox 360 and PC versions of the patch. We plan to re-patch the Playstation 3 version as well with these additional updates.

Now that we have these patches on the road to release (out of production) we are looking at how we can further improve the situation on legacy titles such as Call of Duty 4. The first such move will be to update the playlists for Call of Duty 4 to allow access to all game modes regardless of rank.

kuYuri

legacyzero said:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me a reason to go back to COD4. I would buy a new map pack at a high price. Although I dont see that happening...

It's just going to be a patch or a live playlist update, they are too busy moving ahead with their next game for another map pack.

even COD4 was patched, is it worth picking up? I sold mine after hacker swarm migrate to COD4, and I see more and more PS3 versions being traded in to gamestop, I wonder how many people still have the game or willing pick up that game again after patch.

DoomGyver

Anyone want to help me with the two co-op only SPEC OPS missions on x360? I just need to get 3 stars on these two and then the only other achievement left is kill 4 enemies while downed which is another one you can only get in 2 player. It only took me about 8 hours to 3 star all of the others. So these two missions will probably take 20 minutes or so.

Glad to see they're going to patch both MW2 and COD4. I may just pickup COD4 if they address all of the hacking.

LQX

Anyone still playing this on PC and notice its now taking a lot longer to find games? This shit has to be purposeful as it started right after BO came out. Its taking minutes to find games where as it use to be instant if not less than a minute. And I'm not an isolated case.

Is it this way on consoles? I'm thinking of caving and it buying it for the XBox 360.

Makoto

LQX said:
Anyone still playing this on PC and notice its now taking a lot longer to find games? This shit has to be purposeful as it started right after BO came out. Its taking minutes to find games where as it use to be instant if not less than a minute. And I'm not an isolated case.

35,000 players (at its peak) divided by 10+ playlists and 2 map packs is what's making it take so long. No one should buy the PC version of MW2 now that BO is out/players have switched games/grown bored of it. Get the 360 version if you still want to play MW2.

Ovid

I've had this game since it released, on both consoles and played everyday since.

Why am I only now discovering how awesome the WA2000 is? Even with a silencer this gun is a one shot kill. Amazing!!!

Sethos

Banned
Me and a friend decided to check out the game again on the 360 last night ... Cheaters gone but now it's just ALL snipers! In over 5 matches, we were basically the only two people using rifles - It was just dropshotting and ADHD sniping all over the place o_O

Top Bottom