• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Campus police shoot and kill LGBT activist armed with knife at university

Tecnniqe

Banned
Range on pepper spray and tasers is low. Taser is a one shot, so it's risky. Don't know about rubber bullets, maybe they didn't have one.

At a taser/spray distance, it's easier for the knifeman to run and stab you than it is to draw a gun and shoot them. Bulletproof vests don't stop blades.

Usually, the force used should be proportional to the risk, in this case, risk of getting stabbed is death so they used appropriate force. It's not like they didn't warn the person multiple times. You also don't know if the person is on drugs/high or something.

Advancing a cop with a weapon = death. Don't do it.
Taser at 35 feet is far enough to pull your lethal should it not work.

A consumer grade taser got like ~15 feet.

Carcetti

It's amazing how in other countries cops routinely arrest and disable armed criminals. In here we recently had an actual terrorist who was disabled with a shot into the leg minutes from the call to the police.

I guess US cops are either less skilled or just love killing people.

Or, straight up comparing these cases, maybe in this college student with a swiss army knife was more threatening than an islamic terrorist slaughtering people on the street with a huge knife.

cromofo

Did you watch the video? There was no risk. All the officers were 10-15ft away and had plenty of room to continue backing up if needed. No one was getting stabbed.

I did. Looked more closer when the gunshot went off.

Did they have one? If they did, perhaps one could've used it and the other cop could've been a back up with his sidearm.

Did they have one? If they did, perhaps one could've used it and the other cop could've been a back up with his sidearm.

The officer still had the option of backing up, he just chose to shoot. He didn't need to, he just chose to.

Tecnniqe

Banned

It doesn't seem like they do, which to me raise other questions. As campus security you usually deal with drunk people or just idiot kids so having a taser as a resolution should be mandatory equipment.

cromofo

The officer still had the option of backing up, he just chose to shoot. He didn't need to, he just chose to.

The view is obstructed but I read that the female officer was backed in a corner?

All in all, I'd love if it had been resolved relatively peacefully. I'm sure there are plenty cases where it is resolved peacefully but you mostly hear the ones where the person gets shot and killed.

Shitty situation but I won't blame the officer.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Here is a story where german police disarmed a knife wielding man with pepperspray. Link in German.
Stop with the stupid examples. We've been proven, time and again, in this very thread, that shooting dead sick people wielding pliers is the only sensible solution.

Already been stated a thousand times for sure, but from the sound of things, this individual was was being antagonistic towards cops. With that said, (also already stated) where the hell were the non-lethal disarming methods? What is going on with cops?

I feel like most people at this point would opt for poking sticks at a beehive rather than test their luck with a cop.

blu

They were responding to a potential active shooter. Had the person not called it in and said they had a gun, they'd probably still be alive.
The police could've just as well being responding to a tank-attack signal. Nothing on-site demonstrated the person had a gun. Heck, they didn't even have a proper knife.

Amory

Just got an alert from campus to Seek Shelter Immediately

Pictures of rioting happening at the Vigil for Scout. Getting pictures of a car on fire by the Campus Police Station. Shit is going crazy.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like people set a police car on fire. Entire Campus is shut down.

tS6KQlT.jpg
This is ridiculous.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
To the people shrugging off the danger of knife attacks, I'll leave this here.

NSFW *WARNING* MIGHT BE DISTURBING.

Police attacked and killed.. First cop got dropped in a second..

https://youtu.be/CZn3jGJY3u8

This stuff is NO JOKE people.

I'm sure that their good intentions and naive nature caused the ones that got killed their lives here. This is why cops shouldn't fuck around with a knife wielding bastard.

Alienfan

Range on pepper spray and tasers is low. Taser is a one shot, so it's risky. Don't know about rubber bullets, maybe they didn't have one.

At a taser/spray distance, it's easier for the knifeman to run and stab you than it is to draw a gun and shoot them. Bulletproof vests don't stop blades.

Usually, the force used should be proportional to the risk, in this case, risk of getting stabbed is death so they used appropriate force. It's not like they didn't warn the person multiple times. You also don't know if the person is on drugs/high or something.

Advancing a cop with a weapon = death. Don't do it.

There didn't seem like much risk in the video, the cops were pretty far back

I would imagine that pepper spray would be a bad idea as that has a limited range and may not bring her down fast enough if she goes in to do damage. I would assume a tazer would work just fine but I don't know.

blu

Police attacked and killed.. First guy got dropped in a second..

I'm sure that their good intentions and naive nature caused the ones that got killed their lives here. This is why cops shouldn't fuck around with a knife wielding bastard.
Have you seen the Schultz shooting video? Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSzAJv6naY

Victim was shot at first approach to an officer, from ~7m distance, judging by the muzzle flash seen through the foileage.

Nobody is shrugging off the danger, they're saying the police should be better prepared and know how to be able to deal with situations like this without shooting someone, example as per was posted above your post:

That and your example is quite different to the video of this situation.

Late Flag

Having watched the video, I don't think either officer did anything wrong. The student was absolutely determined to get shot. There are lots of good examples out there of police brutality. This isn't one of them.

g11

Could the cops have ended this non-lethally? Probably. That said, I'm not going to condemn them outright when the person in question orchestrated the entire scenario. If it was merely a mentally ill person brandishing a knife, I might have more sympathy for this person and would have expected the cops to attempt a non-lethal take down. But it wasn't just that. This person had the forethought to call the police on themselves, report a gun, and then advance on the cops after ignoring repeated instructions to drop the knife and not move. That may not be rational, but it's calculated. They ensured to a moral certainty that this would end fatally.

Seeing this protest/riot after the fact is just insane and sad. The crowd marching have signs about protecting LBGT people, as if that's why this person died. Unless when they called the cops they included "and by the way, the gunman is LGBT!" I can't even fathom how people would think it has anything to do with the outcome. Or maybe I'm mistaken and it's common place for LGBT people on this campus to be routinely shot by campus police even when they aren't brandishing knives at people.

F34R

And that's honestly above and beyond what I'd ever personally ask from you in all honesty, so thank you.

I just want to reiterate that my main gripe is with groups of cops, not generally single cops. I have absolutely no desire to armchair quarterback individual one on one encounters with people. When things are even I feel all bets are off personally. I know some here would argue otherwise and say every cop should always risk themselves but I'm not that soft. If the odds are even I want cops to prioritize themselves and the public at large first. But when the odds are heavily stacked in the polices' favor and they still resort to what's essentially executing people at that point, I have a problem with that.
I was "counseled" after that incident because I didn't use proper proper force. It was an unofficial meeting about wondering why I didn't use lethal force when our use of force continuum shows that I could have legally. Most officers probably would have pulled their service weapon and shot that guy. Several watched the bodycam footage and were shocked at what happened. The guy literally stopped with a couple feet with the bat cocked back to swing. It was loud in there, and it happened so fast. When he saw the tazer pointing at him, he stopped. Thank God for that. They guys watching it, reached for their guns! That's how stressful that shit was. Crazy.

I chose the option I chose, whether or not it was the best option is a matter of opinion I guess. It definitely was what I thought was the best option to try and not kill this guy. I have known him for 10 years and dealt with him and his mental capacity dozens of times over that decade. My experience with him helped I guess.

Looking over this incident, I would have kept going back until there wasn't any other option. If that officer that fired their weapon didn't have any more room to go back, then I can understand completely why it ended when it did. If there was still room to retreat safely while keeping Scout in a controllable distance, that's what I would have done.

Why couldn't they have used tasers, rubber bullets or pepper spray?
Because not a lot of departments have all those resources. So, if they don't have it, well, they can't use it eh?
Did you watch the video? There was no risk. All the officers were 10-15ft away and had plenty of room to continue backing up if needed. No one was getting stabbed.
BS. There isn't a distance requirement for risk. That person was a risk from the start. Not only to themselves, but to the public, and the officers.

Trying to use a taser further than 15ft away is not very reliable. A lot of departments use 15 or 21ft cartridges. Shooting the taser at 15ft. gives you just over a two foot spread. That in itself isn't very accurate for a medium size body. Trying to use one at 35ft would be dumb. Five to ten feet max has a higher percent of accuracy.

I've been shot with the Taser X26 at least two dozen times. The differences were ridiculous. Sometimes full contact was made, sometimes it wasn't. Sometimes the probes didn't completely penetrate my regular clothing. Never was I immobilized beyond 15ft.

Do we know that for sure at this point? I haven't seen any video that shows there was more space when the shot was fired. If there was more space, then I agree 100%.

Given the lax selection criteria and abysmal de-escalation training of US cops, it's no wonder they shoot so often.
Just a tragic situation all around.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm in no way intending to downplay how stressfull such situations are, nor how dangerous. Cops have a dangerous line of work, which is why proper and rigorous training is so important. Not just for the safety of those they are sworn to protect, but also their own.

Carcetti

Police attacked and killed.. First cop got dropped in a second..

Well, I mentioned a news story earlier where non-US cops shot in the leg a machete wielding islamic terrorist who'd just stabbed 8 people and then arrested him, alive.

Does one story trump another?

Just got an alert from campus to Seek Shelter Immediately

Pictures of rioting happening at the Vigil for Scout. Getting pictures of a car on fire by the Campus Police Station. Shit is going crazy.

EDIT: Yeah, looks like people set a police car on fire. Entire Campus is shut down.

tS6KQlT.jpg
Hopefully they get caught and sent to jail for a long time.

F34R

Well, I mentioned a news story earlier where non-US cops shot in the leg a machete wielding islamic terrorist who'd just stabbed 8 people and then arrested him, alive.

Does one story trump another?

None of these examples are even relevant to what happened in the ga tech incident. This can go on for a long time finding cases that have some of the same elements, but NONE of them are identical. That's the problem with trying to use other incidents to prove a point.

This is a unique incident, just like each of those other examples are unique.

BS. There isn't a distance requirement for risk. That person was a risk from the start. Not only to themselves, but to the public, and the officers.

Do we know that for sure at this point? I haven't seen any video that shows there was more space when the shot was fired. If there was more space, then I agree 100%.

There was no immediate risk. Unless they can lunge 10-15 feet faster than someone can pull the trigger there was no need to shoot. And yes, from the video there is room to circle around the individual, no one was trapped or at any immediate risk of getting stabbed. Nothing was happening that required any of the officers to shoot, nothing was preventing them from waiting the situation out.

Small 21 year old student approaches group of muscular police officers with a knife.

Explain exactly why they had to use a gun? They might get a cut on their arm, or something? Ridiculous police work from America as always.
What a joke. A small person can still kill a large person with a knife. How naive are you?

So what non-lethal options were used?

If they had a gun, I'd understand. But a knife? Use a taser or peper spray them.

Why would tasing not be an option first?

Good questions. I don't know what they are equipped with but they had to be equipped with non-Lethal measures.

its absolutely critical that we get officers de-escalation training and confrontation techniques. I see no reason this person isn't alive today.

The cops didn't do anything wrong according to the law but they also didn't do a lot of things right.

F34R

There was no immediate risk. Unless they can lunge 10-15 feet faster than someone can pull the trigger there was no need to shoot. And yes, from the video there is room to circle around the individual, no one was trapped or at any immediate risk of getting stabbed. Nothing was happening that required any of the officers to shoot, nothing was preventing them from waiting the situation out.

I disagree about the risk. The only thing that stops the risk is if the threat is eliminated. Whether by de-escalation or force.

All I can really say is, again, I would have done everything I could until there wasn't any other option that keeps myself, my partner, and anyone else in the area safe, before using deadly force.

Police lives matter less than civilian lives - they signed up to protect and serve.

They must be willing to put themselves at risk to save civilians (even unstable ones). Non-lethal takedown should have been attempted, even if it meant greater personal risk to the police.
That's not how it works.

F34R

It's how it should work and how it does work elsewhere.

That's on a personal level though. Show me a department that requires its officers to unnecessarily risk their own life to save another. Not happening. It's quite the contrary.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Everyone here arguing for the "just a knife" argument does realize that the police had been told (by Scout) that a gun was also potentially in play here, right? The campus police were told (by Scout) that there was a gun on the person. So "running away" to get the appropriate equipment meant letting someone who is very clearly mentally unstable and wielding one weapon while claiming to have a gun run around campus for 10-15 minutes.

Apparently the safety of all of the other students is completely irrelevant.

F34R

Everyone here arguing for the "just a knife" argument does realize that the police had been told (by Scout) that a gun was also potentially in play here, right? The campus police were told (by Scout) that there was a gun on the person. So "running away" to get the appropriate equipment meant letting someone who is very clearly mentally unstable and wielding one weapon while claiming to have a gun run around campus for 10-15 minutes.

Apparently the safety of all of the other students is completely irrelevant.

I'll take this is two parts..

One, they won't ever run away. Once the police have arrived, they don't run away.
Two, being told there is a gun, while alarming, doesn't matter much if you don't see it. That's for me anyways. Regarding this case, they didn't reach for a gun, and as far as I can tell, there wasn't any apparent concern about the gun at this point.

Two Words

it wasn't handled in the best manner, but for once let's say that the blame isn't entirely on the police force..
kid was clearly not in his right mind and the police actually PROMPTED for him to drop the knife several time and he ignored the order and advanced with a knife..
granted, I doubt a lot of harm could be done, but for once I have to admit that the blame is not on the police..
kid clearly was aiming for a "suicide by cops"..
Why would you doubt that a lot of harm could be done with a knife?

Raptomex

Do the cops carry tazers?
I question this, too. I brought it up once in regards to a cop shooting a kid wielding knives at a school a while back and was shot down pretty quick. Apparently "it won't work, the cop is a hero". Okay, but I still don't understand why.

Two Words

It's how it should work and how it does work elsewhere.
No country has that as their policy. It is absolutely disgusting to try and argue that police officer's lives matter less than other's lives. Like, that is some seriously disgusting stuff that I would expect to be ban-worthy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What is this supposed to mean?

In a thread speculating about the state of mind and intentions of a dead person it would nice if people were respectful enough to refer to them by the pronoun they preferred in life when posting their hot takes.

I thought that poster was making a dismissive or cruel statement about the deceased's state of mind, not their pronoun choice. A completely unrelated and contrary point. Apologies if I misinterpreted but I'm still not sure.

kirblar

I'll take this is two parts..

One, they won't ever run away. Once the police have arrived, they don't run away.
Two, being told there is a gun, while alarming, doesn't matter much if you don't see it. That's for me anyways. Regarding this case, they didn't reach for a gun, and as far as I can tell, there wasn't any apparent concern about the gun at this point.
America is a country where there are more guns than people. The latter point cannot be their default handling of a situation where they've been told about a gun.

xkramz

There should be a law that if a person is brandishing a gun or something thst looks like a gun, u can shjoot to kill. But if it's a blunt weapon and or a knife or machete, thst you must use non lethal means to disarm the bandit.

Like if someone is holding a knife in sure a taser would force them to drop the knife n shit

Zoe

There should be a law that if a person is brandishing a gun or something thst looks like a gun, u can shjoot to kill. But if it's a blunt weapon and or a knife or machete, thst you must use non lethal means to disarm the bandit.

Like if someone is holding a knife in sure a taser would force them to drop the knife n shit
And when they don't have a taser?

Top Bottom