• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Nintendo win you back?

Gnilres

If they just fix a few things they'd be perfect.

Amazing games are still amazing despite some questionable business practices.

Jay RaR

Hmm...let's see now

-Unified Account System - I don't want to jump through hoops just to keep my downloadable games on newer systems. It's bad enough with the 3DS transfer as I'd rather just have an account and download my games online at anytime anywhere without carrying my old Wiis around.

-3rd Party Support - Nintendo has a select few of many stellar first party titles I like, but they are not enough for me to spend money on the Wii U.

-No JRPGs - The only one that interests me is Xenoblade X, but I feel like I can wait until Nintendo's next console to play that. I'm iffy on SMT x FE.

-Not much use with online features - Limited voice chat on MK8 and SSB4 as well as many other games that could use online co-op (Mario Party, NintendoLand).

-Not much games I want on Wii U. Already have SSB4 on 3DS, 3D World doesn't grab me, both Sonic games are mediocre, pretty skeptical on Zelda U, and the rest don't interest me. I'm prolly interested in Star Fox, Xenoblade X, and maybe Bayonetta 2. Not much I want to really buy a system over.

I'm fine with the 3DS, but it's getting pretty outdated now lol. Bring on the NX!

Since I only have time for one console, It's gonna be real difficult for Nintendo to win me back, but if they can get hardware on par with ps5, or next xbox, and good third-party support then I might choose there next console, buts that's not gonna happen. There hardware has no value for me since the wii brand came out.

They need to stop buying into their own bullshit and actually try to compete again. Not, "Here's a peripheral with alternative inputs, you devs figure out something to do with it."

I'm talking about actually competitive hardware performance with the services to match. Without those crippling disadvantages the odds of third-parties showing up increase which should help with sales and make their first-party offerings and good support for local multiplayer actual difference-makers instead of consolation prizes.

plainr_

They will never my primary console or first choice ever again. I just don't agree with their hardware philosophy.

Neoxon

They need to stop buying into their own bullshit and actually try to compete again. Not, "Here's a peripheral with alternative inputs, you devs figure out something to do with it."

I'm talking about actually competitive hardware performance with the services to match. Without those crippling disadvantages the odds of third-parties showing up increase which should help with sales and make their first-party offerings and good support for local multiplayer actual difference-makers instead of consolation prizes.
I don't think they could at this point. Sony & Microsoft's systems are extremely similar, so there's no use for Nintendo to offer a third console that's just like the other two when most of the market already got cozy with those kinds of systems from Sony & Microsoft.

Servbot24

Banned
I think they're doing fine*. PS and XB are so similar that I can only justify buying one. Nintendo adds variety as my second console. All I ask is two or three great games per year from them.

*at meeting my individual needs :p

3rd party support and a modern online system are obvious things they need but I will stick to just Nintendo as a game company here...

I miss the Nintendo of the N64 era.

You had Mario and Zelda over there doing great Mario and Zelda things but on the other end you had Rare making games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. More action-y Teen rated games. Ever since then it seemed like Nintendo has abandoned that audience.

That kind of stuff I want from Nintendo again.

Branch out from the core franchises they recycle over and over. Dont be afraid to get out of the E for everyone and 3 and up rating.

Its why it bummed me out Retro got stuck with Donkey Kong. They seemed like a studio that could scratch that itch but then they got put on more Nintendo formula Nintendo games. I am as tired of it as I am the Ubisoft formula.

The quality is still clearly there... I am just tired of it.

Maybe open world Zelda U is a start is shaking things up again though.

JordanN

Banned
Since I only have time for one console, It's gonna be real difficult for Nintendo to win me back, but if they can get hardware on par with ps5, or next xbox, and good third-party support then I might choose there next console, buts that's not gonna happen. There hardware has no value for me since the wii brand came out.

I find it very unlikely the next Xbox/PS are launching in the same year as Wii U's successor. Without that, there's no chance of them matching future tech.

shanafan

Nintendo is doing just fine in my book. I will always pickup the new Nintendo console when it comes out, because it's just a different and unique experience on a Nintendo console.

I have a Xbox and PS for their exclusive and third party titles, so I am not stuck with having just one console being Nintendo. But I do like picking up third party titles on a Nintendo console because it's just that "I am playing on Nintendo" feel that brings me back to my childhood.

To me, it just feels like Nintendo doesn't get me as a gamer. There are a few other fighters I prefer to Smash Bros, and I'm not huge on platformers. The lack of diversity on the Wii U (especially) and 3DS just doesn't suit me well. Most of my favorite games and franchises from the past few years have completely missed Nintendo platforms, and Nintendo and their close 3rd parties don't really have any alternative games.

And I guess that kind of fits since I always preferred Arcade and Genesis games as a kid.

Nanashrew

Banned
Its why it bummed me out Retro got stuck with Donkey Kong. They seemed like a studio that could scratch that itch but then they got put on more Nintendo formula Nintendo games. I am as tired of it as I am the Ubisoft formula.

They didn't really get stuck with it. Retro requested it themselves.

I don't think they could at this point. Sony & Microsoft's systems are extremely similar, so there's no use for Nintendo to offer a third console that's just like the other two when most of the market already got cozy with those kinds of systems from Sony & Microsoft.

The point is it would make it easier for third-parties to support them and in a visual comparison or line up they wouldn't be at such a disadvantage.

Their entire hardware philosophy should be thrown out frankly. At least the GCN and Wii were cheap, the 3DS and Wii U made far too many tradeoffs for features that not many people care about. Performance has gotten too cheap with ARM/x64 and die shrinks have gotten too expensive to justify the kind of custom hardware that Nintendo stuck with on Wii U.

I find it very unlikely the next Xbox/PS are launching in the same year as Wii U's successor. Without that, there's no chance of them matching future tech.

If they launch early again without being dramatically cheaper (e.g. Wii) or at least in the same ballpark performance-wise (e.g. GCN) they'll be dead on arrival and fully deserve it. Raw CPU performance hasn't been increasing much lately and GPUs are still limited by thermal constraints. There is no reason they shouldn't at least be in a XB1 to PS4 situation performance-wise.

I liked Wii. I was sold on the whole motion control idea. There were a number of games I thoroughly enjoyed for it. But when I look at the Wii-U, I'm not sold on the controller, I don't like how it takes up a lot of system resource, and the games aren't enough to make me want to drop several hundred dollars for it.

Can they win me back? It would take quite a bit. Especially with PC gaming in full effect. I also want their console hardware to fail in order to force the company to develop third party. So, I guess the answer is no.

Neoxon

3rd party support and a modern online system are obvious things they need but I will stick to just Nintendo as a game company here... The 3rd parties aren't coming back, but DeNA was brought on to help with the online system part.

I miss the Nintendo of the N64 era.

You had Mario and Zelda over there doing great Mario and Zelda things but on the other end you had Rare making games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. More action-y Teen rated games. Bayonetta 2 & The Wonderful 101 say hi. Ever since then it seemed like Nintendo has abandoned that audience.

That kind of stuff I want from Nintendo again.

Branch out from the core franchises they recycle over and over. Splatoon, The Wonderful 101, Xenoblade Chronicles, & Code Name: STEAM all say hi Dont be afraid to get out of the E for everyone and 3 and up rating. Bayonetta 2 & Fatal Frame say hi

Its why it bummed me out Retro got stuck with Donkey Kong. Yeah, they got stuck with what turned out to be one of the best games of 2014 & one of the greatest platforms of all time. How unfortunate. Besides, they have a new project coming & we may learn of it this E3. They seemed like a studio that could scratch that itch but then they got put on more Nintendo formula Nintendo games. I am as tired of it as I am the Ubisoft formula.

The quality is still clearly there... I am just tired of it.

Maybe open world Zelda U is a start is shaking things up again though.
....Yeah

Bowl0l

There is no way the next Xbox/PS are launching in the same year as Wii U's successor. Without that, there's no chance of Nintendo matching tech from the future unless it cost like $999.
Nvidia Titan X alone is $999. Although it's unlikely
AMD/Intel can stuff an IGPU equal to Titan X in PS5/XBoxTwo...

Soroc

They haven't completely lost me but they do keep frustrating the shit out of me. If they came out and told me all these things were addressed in their next platforms I would day 1 the platforms. Until they do, I will no longer be one of the pioneers that carries Nintendo through their early years of a new generation.

Unified Account System
Region Free
Sophisticated Online Platform
Unified Virtual Console
No more extra plastic! (I swear Nintendo owns stock or part of a plastic company)

Novocaine

Ditch region locking and pack in gimmick controllers, and add a proper account system and I'll consider it, otherwise I'm fine with missing out. Bonus points to be able to turn down Mario's dumb voice in game without losing the rest of the sound.

Neoxon

The point is it would make it easier for third-parties to support them and in a visual comparison or line up they wouldn't be at such a disadvantage.

Their entire hardware philosophy should be thrown out frankly. At least the GCN and Wii were cheap, the 3DS and Wii U made far too many tradeoffs for features that not many people care about. Performance has gotten too cheap with ARM/x64 and die shrinks have gotten too expensive to justify the kind of custom hardware that Nintendo stuck with on Wii U.
But the third parties aren't coming back. It's not just about the system, but it's about the audience Nintendo tends to attract & the general stigma of the Nintendo brand to the uneducated audience that tends to buy Sony & Microsoft (not all, just a good chunk of the casual buyer). Besides, Nintendo going with a different route gives more justification of buying it alongside a Sony or Microsoft system, since they're practically the same anyway.

Haven't lost me yet, but they will if:

- Mario continues to be phoned in
- Zelda continues to be made to Aonuma's tastes and not to the tastes of fans of Zelda games made before Aonuma
- They don't actually justify the cost of their hardware with the quality improvements it adds to software
- They don't unify their account system
- They continue to dance around online multiplayer in places where it really belongs

flux1

They won me back by having the best exclusives this time around. If it wasn't for the Wii U, I wouldn't own any current gen system as neither the XB1 or PS4 have enough exclusives I consider good enough to pay the hardware costs. For 3rd party games I go to my PC.

carlsojo

Are we talking home console? It'd take them doing a total 180 from their current philosophy, i.e. make their system more open to 3rd parties, unified account system, not based on a gimmick, etc.

If we're talking portable then I never left, just recently got Devil Survivor 2 on the N3DS.

They lost me after the SNES, and didn't fully win me back until the Wii U. And even then, they're more or less permanently in the "third platform" category after PC and whatever console Sony happens to have out at the time.

- Had no interest in the N64. After the fact I've learned that console has some of the reputed best-ever games, but at the time its library got trounced by the PS1's library, especially in the third party arena.

- Had no interest in the GameCube, with a controller I strongly dislike to this day, goofy mini-disc format, no DVD playback, and a library that while good, was too first-party centric and could not possibly compete with the behemoth library of (IMO) the greatest console of all time, the PlayStation 2.

- I bought a Wii but barely used it. Forced motion controls, SD in the era of the HD twins, shovelware a-plenty, etc. They lost me for a good while when I gave away my original Wii and their circa-1980s account system (then) meant I couldn't get my VC library back without some serious hassle.

They finally got me back with the Wii U when they presented an HD machine, the option to use a standard (and ergonomically awesome) controller for most games, something resembling a 21st-century account system, the best software library they've had in years, etc. But even then, they still have no third party (that's what my PC is for), and no Last of Us/Bloodborne/Uncharted/etc, and not as strong of an indie presence as PC or PS4 (I might be wrong on that last point, though).

Which is why Nintendo will continue to get my business as a tertiary machine, one that I can use to play the often immaculately-designed Nintendo software I can't play anywhere else.

They'd have to do better than the weakness that is the Wii U.
There needs to be a competent online system this time around, with none of the backwards crap they're pulling even today with Splatoon.

So probably not.

a virtual console library that is gigantic and completely connected through a unified account system. every single NES/SNES/GB/GBA/N64 game should be available on the virtual console. with online functionality implemented. (if I could play snes bomberman against my friends like 15 years ago on my Dell laptop, I should be able to do it on video game hardware today)

Bolded is unreasonable because not even Sony, the comparative bastion of "how to do a retro game resale service" can't manage to get every old PS1 game on even their prime console, PS3 (license issues, contracts, companies going under, etc.). You might as well say "If Nintendo hands me the moon, sure, I'm theirs." If I were someone at Nintendo with authority I would have dismissed your post as "we're never gonna win this guy over so we're not gonna try," which makes your requests seem that much less worth pursuing.

Don't get me wrong...I want all that too! I think a more reasonable request, though, would be to get all of Nintendo's self-published catalog on there with all the third parties on board too. Online play I could see M2 pulling off, but Nintendo would need to actually give them that flexibility....I sadly don't see that happening, but I would LOVE to play me some online Tetris Attack. :(

But the third parties aren't coming back. It's not just about the system, but it's about the audience Nintendo tends to attract & the general stigma of the Nintendo brand to the uneducated audience that tends to buy Sony & Microsoft (not all, just a good chunk of the casual buyer). Besides, Nintendo going with a different route gives more justification of buying it alongside a Sony or Microsoft system, since they're practically the same anyway.

The audience that has bought into PS4 and XB1 are plenty educated on the things that matter to them and a big one is third-party support.

Nintendo's refusal to at least be competitive on performance is a self-inflicted wound drives away the kind of people who buy third-party games to begin with and limits their audience to mostly hardcore Nintendo loyalists. It's not sustainable.

I still love Nintendo. I still buy their hardware and games.

I would, however, like to see a proper account system, and a more powerful and focused piece of tech, when it comes to their next console.

I also think it's time that their portables had proper high ppi screens.

Neoxon

The audience that has bought into PS4 and XB1 are plenty educated on the things that matter to them and a big one is third-party support.

Nintendo's refusal to at least be competitive on performance is a self-inflicted wound drives away the kind of people who buy third-party games to begin with and limits their audience to mostly hardcore Nintendo loyalists. It's not sustainable.
But hardware performance is only half the problem, & the other half isn't one that can be fixed at the flip of a switch. It'd take years to wash away the stigma from the common gamer.

Nanashrew

Banned
Haven't lost me yet, but they will if:

- Mario continues to be phoned in
- Zelda continues to be made to Aonuma's tastes and not to the tastes of fans of Zelda games made before Aonuma
- They don't actually justify the cost of their hardware with the quality improvements it adds to software
- They don't unify their account system
- They continue to dance around online multiplayer in places where it really belongs

I always wonder about the Aonuma thing. His first involvement as Director was Ocarina of Time and onwards. What made Miyamoto interested in him was when he made Marvelous: Another Adventure which is like a slower paced ALttP with Point & Click aspects.

The work doesn't stray far from LttP outside of a more open explorable world and mini dungeons. And fans shouldn't have say in anything cause that's what got us Twilight Princess to bring back that whole OoT feeling which wasn't that great.

cj_iwakura

I don't care about their first party titles, and the devs I care about are ignoring them, so... nope.

I only bought the Wii for the third party support(Grasshopper Manufacture, Atlus, Alfa System), and Wii U sure doesn't have that going for it.

Kaban

I felt a bit burnt by Nintendo with the Wii, but thanks to Splatoon, I'm picking up a bundle this Friday.

batrush

Nah, don't care at all for their active franchises and the few interesting Nintendo releases over the past decade have been largely underwhelming. I only support the 3DS due to the great support it has received from Atlus.

But hardware performance is only half the problem, & the other half isn't one that can be fixed at the flip of a switch. It'd take years to wash away the stigma from the common gamer.

So start now by fixing their services. Microsoft's have been better almost since day one. Sony managed to do a better job with theirs on a console with ~90MB of RAM for the OS, while the Wii U is equipped with 2GB so what's Nintendo's excuse?

Microsoft gained and squandered a great reputation over the course of a few years, while Sony lost a decade's worth of good will in months and managed to recover it. It's doable, but you have to actually accept that you have a problem and do more than change the curtains to pull it off.

Majine

Banned
That's the thing, they're never coming back. Or at the very least, they won't return for the foreseeable future.

That's unfortunate. A Nintendo console with equal or comparable third party offering as the other two would be my #1 console of choice any day.

Opiate

You know its launching this year right? Club Nintendo has shut down so Nintendo can launch a unified account system. Id be surprised if we didnt get all the details at e3.

There are two reasons why I find this so odd.

1) This technology is now decades old. It isn't some new fangled thing that Microsoft and Sony have figured out; it's been widely adopted by technology companies for years and years.

2) It also isn't that complicated to implement. There are small websites with unified account systems; why has this proven so difficult for Nintendo?

It would be one thing if we were talking about some really complicated, new technology that Nintendo was struggling to implement, but this is very basic network infrastructure. The fact that something so simple has taken so long doesn't just suggest a failing, it suggests total and complete incompetence regarding networking.

I live in New Zealand. Even if Nintendo gets their act together and fixes all of their non-game nonsense, the probability of any of that making New Zealand and Australia is next to non-existent. Man, fuck NOAu.

Nintendo hasn't ever really lost me. However, there are a couple things I wish they would do better.

1) No region lock isn't a big thing for me, but I would definitely appreciate PlayStation caliber region free, i.e. region free games and region free online accounts (though the latter requires multiple accounts to be supported on one system, OR easy switching in and out of multiple accounts).

Here are the things I've enjoyed thanks to region free last gen and this gen (including region free hacks):

- All the Japanese versions of the Rhythm Tengoku games
- Tales of the Tempest (yeah, "enjoyed") and Tales of Innocence
- Boom Blox (European version from NeoGAF Secret Santa)
- Band Bros., Band Bros. DX, Jam with the Band (from Europe), and Band Bros. P
- E.X. Troopers (PS3 online demo)
- Free European PlayStation Plus for two months
- Free Lara Croft: Guardian of Light (Japanese version)

I'm also considering Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Fortunately, it seems like hackers find ways to make Nintendo consoles region free by the time the best games come out, but I don't want to count on that happening.

2) I'd like less small hardware revisions with exclusive games. Game Boy -> Game Boy Color was fine, and I consider them two different systems (even though not everyone does). Nintendo DS -> DSi was less fine, but it included a lot of great added features, including what was essentially the eShop and lots of awesome downloadable games. 3DS -> New 3DS was even less fine, and I feel like there's very little reason to buy it outside of the three or so inevitable New 3DS exclusive games. It's almost like buying a new console with backwards compatibility, but with only three games...

Outside of those things, though, I'm still very happy with Nintendo. The Wii IMO is the best Nintendo system since the SNES, and I feel like the Wii U and 3DS have had great Nintendo support so far, even if it isn't as good as the Wii or other past systems.

Neoxon

So start now by fixing their services. Microsoft's have been better almost since day one. Sony managed to do a better job with theirs on a console with ~90MB of RAM for the OS, while the Wii U is equipped with 2GB so what's Nintendo's excuse?

Microsoft gained and squandered a great reputation over the course of a few years, while Sony lost a decade's worth of good will in months and managed to recover it. It's doable, but you have to actually accept that you have a problem and do more than change the curtains to pull it off.
That would pretty much mean that Nintendo would have to charge for online, & free online is one of the only pros they have over the other two.

Top Bottom