• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Rainbow Six: Seige save an entire genre? (on console)

I would love to see tactical shooters return to consoles. Nobody misses them more than me. I'm not sure that Siege is a tactical shooter per se. Even if it is, one game does not a resurrection make. But here's hoping.

I'd like to see a modern reinterpretation of games like the original Ghost Recon: a heavy focus on maneuvering and tactics, engagements at both long and short distances, the inclusion of modern suppression mechanics, etc. But that seems like a long shot.
Doubt it, a multiplayer only shooter is a hard sell at full price.
Siege has a single-player campaign.

ktynn

Banned
Siege doesn't look nearly as tactical as it needs to be.

This. And the fact that Ubisoft has anything to do with it makes me quite worried about the overall quality of the game(play), but who knows it might be good.

edit: I don't believe it will be able to save the genre though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The series died to me the moment they strayed away from the Raven Shield formula/mechanics.

RIP old school tactical shooter.

Siege has a single-player campaign.

Yeah sure. It is less than 3 months until release. They have not shown a campaign. They have not talked about a campaign. There is nothing about a campaign on their website.

The reason is simple:

a) there is no campaign or

b) the "campaign" isn't worth talking about, because it's just solo "missions" on MP maps.

They can't even implement team AI for terrorist hunt. This whole game screams low budget.

I would love to see tactical shooters return to consoles. Nobody misses them more than me. I'm not sure that Siege is a tactical shooter per se. Even if it is, one game does not a resurrection make. But here's hoping.

I'd like to see a modern reinterpretation of games like the original Ghost Recon: a heavy focus on maneuvering and tactics, engagements at both long and short distances, the inclusion of modern suppression mechanics, etc. But that seems like a long shot.

Well, no one bought SOCOM 4 so it's servers were quickly pulled down :(

And the new Ghost Recon actually looks a lot like that, a lot of options and execution free from a distance or up close. But it is very hollywood-like so realism is out the window though.

Gemüsepizza;172447508 said:
Yeah sure. It is less than 3 months until release. They have not shown a campaign. They have not talked about a campaign. There is nothing about a campaign on their website.

The reason is simple:

a) there is no campaign or

b) the "campaign" isn't worth talking about, because it's just solo "missions" on MP maps.

They can't even implement team AI for terrorist hunt. This whole game screams low budget.

This. Everything they've shown so far is underwhelming.

There is no campaign. You can play the multiplayer maps alone against AI. For some stupid reason they didn`t add team AI, so you have to play it as a lone wolf.

Ha ha; holy shit that sounds awful. So they're basically selling a package equivalent to Counter-Strike: GO as a full price retail release?

DryvBy

Wait. No single player?

Hrm. As much as I love R6:V's multiplayer (even hit top rank, which I never do), I was hoping for some terrorist hunt/single player co-op.

impact

Banned
I honestly think that this will die out really fast. I mean its launching next to Halo, Black Ops and Battlefront.

It's never even going to be alive really.

After playing the alpha/beta (whatever it was) I would not buy this unless it launched at $5. It's not a tactical shooter in any sense, it's another CoD.

Moongazer

There is no Campaign/Story mode. Just a set of missions which can only be done completely solo or in coop with other players. The same applies to Terrorist Hunt. You won't be able to command an AI squad in any of the modes.

What you will get in the full release taken directly from their forum:

"Just to clarify there are 3 main modes available in Rainbow Six Siege: Multiplayer (or PvP), Terrohunt (or PvE) and Missions:

-Multiplayer (PvP): Two teams of five CTU Operators go head-to-head in a multiplayer battle to secure the objective.

-Terrohunt (PvE): One to five CTU Operators work together to engage highly skilled enemy AI in varying operations. Players will be able to craft his or her own experience through multiple combinations and modes.

-Missions: Pre-set scenarios expose the player to the content and mechanics of the Siege and are specifically designed to be played solo as a Lone Wolf, but can also be played cooperatively with up to four friends."

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...gle-Player?p=10918627&viewfull=1#post10918627

Yes. It`s pretty much a mix between Counter-Strike and Call of Duty. People already enjoy those games for that experience.

Man this is not good. This is essentially how the Socom series died. Instead of sticking to their tactical genre that they were actually good at they tried to become a hybrid COD game.

This thread was supposed to give me hope :(

Liamc723

"Just to clarify there are 3 main modes available in Rainbow Six Siege: Multiplayer (or PvP), Terrohunt (or PvE) and Missions:

-Multiplayer (PvP): Two teams of five CTU Operators go head-to-head in a multiplayer battle to secure the objective.

-Terrohunt (PvE): One to five CTU Operators work together to engage highly skilled enemy AI in varying operations. Players will be able to craft his or her own experience through multiple combinations and modes.

-Missions: Pre-set scenarios expose the player to the content and mechanics of the Siege and are specifically designed to be played solo as a Lone Wolf, but can also be played cooperatively with up to four friends."

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...gle-Player?p=10918627&viewfull=1#post10918627

And with that, I just lost interest in this game.

Vegas/Ghost Recon AW were the perfect blend of dumbed down gameplay for Ubisoft's newfound brain dead audience and the older fans.

Splinter Cell Conviction/ Blacklist/GR Future Solider was the worst blend.

Siege looks to be a pretty bad blend too.

Wish Tom Clancy never sold his name to Ubisoft. After that, they stopped giving a semblance of a fuck about realism or their old fanbase.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man I loved my time with Rainbos Six on the original Xbox. My first clan matches were in that game.

If you are talking about Raven Shield, it truly was an amazing game. Played it like crazy and made maps for the PC version.

The series has been nothing like it since. :(

LogicStep

If you are talking about Raven Shield, it truly was an amazing game. Played it like crazy and made maps for the PC version.

Yeah, Rainbow Six 3 is the game I played. It was awesome. Wish they made something like that again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, Rainbow Six 3 is the game I played. It was awesome. Wish they made something like that again.

Agreed. It was one of my favorite FPS games of all time. The sound elements with headphones, gear, etc were so well balanced.

Sad they went with the arcadey formula since.

TheRed

I can't believe people think this looks good, aside from the first reveal, it looks pretty bad and not that tactical or fun. I'm not even that into CS but I would rather start up CS:GO then get this game. Hope it turns out well so console people can have a cool tactical shooter to play though, I just have really low expectations.

purg3

slept with Malkin
It`s true. Team AI wasn`t "part of their vision".

...for a team based shooter.

I really want this to be good but I think it's going to be a huge pile. At least Vegas/2 are coming to BC for xbox one.

If the terrorist hunt is as fun as the previous entries, I'll probably pick it up a discounted price.

Rockyrock

Gears execution is probably the best perma death mode we have on consoles today.

Siege doesnt even really look that tactical to me. Its just gonna be a CQB game where people blow up floors/walls constantly.

Ahhh Ravenshield was the glory years. Too bad Lockdown came after and effectively killed the franchise since :(

I can't believe people think this looks good, aside from the first reveal, it looks pretty bad and not that tactical or fun. I'm not even that into CS but I would rather start up CS:GO then get this game. Hope it turns out well so console people can have a cool tactical shooter to play though, I just have really low expectations.

I think a lot of us are just still going off that original reveal. That's what I was doing when I made this thread :(

The problem is they want to make it a big mainstream AAA+ "CoD killer" and will not be satisfied with selling a couple of million copies to the people who want a tactical shooter.

As a result, it'll be marketed like CoD and will probably fail because it is not CoD.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm burned out on CoD/Battlefield, and I'd like to try something like Rainbow 6.

Liamario

Banned
It looks like a cross between COD and a proper tactical shooter. A lot of the stuff I've seen looks like fun, but it's certainly not a hardcore game like GRAW or the older rainbow six titles. Even with R6 Vegas 2, there is a slight transition to a more cod style with the introduction of xp.
I think we'll be relying on an independent developer for a pure tactical shooter.

There is no Campaign/Story mode. Just a set of missions which can only be done completely solo or in coop with other players. The same applies to Terrorist Hunt. You won't be able to command an AI squad in any of the modes.

Well, shit. :(

The problem is they want to make it a big mainstream AAA+ "CoD killer" and will not be satisfied with selling a couple of million copies to the people who want a tactical shooter.

As a result, it'll be marketed like CoD and will probably fail because it is not CoD.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm burned out on CoD/Battlefield, and I'd like to try something like Rainbow 6.

This has been the oven for a while for anybody looking for a tactical console experience. These companies are all chasing the COD crowd and catering to a much simple pick up and play gameplay. But I think it's definitely worthwhile instead to reach the smaller tactical shooter market. I guess CS:Go was our best bet but instead we got a half assed effort.

Gamezone

Gold Member
It sure as hell looks cool when the developers are playing it, but people online don't play it that way. They play it like a CoD shooter, and the gameplay allows them to.

The1Ski

The alpha feedback notes were a great step.

Slowing the game by 20%, removing hitmarkers, more recoil etc. I am beyond stoked for it to be honest. I'm predicting a huge amount of support for competitive play

also after e3 R6S had a 690% boost in pre orders on amazon uk

I think it's going to fit right in a dead zone of esport / twitch interest. I don't think it'll be tight enough for the CS crowd and I don't think it'll be flashy enough for the CoD crowd. If Titanfall couldn't rouse the masses, I don't think this has a chance.

akitaone

Banned
Actually, I think Siege is, ironically, the nail in the coffin for tactical shooters. Outside of SWAT, it was really THE CQB tactical game series. This new game is just an inddor CoD with the Rainbow Six name on it.

And by the way...and I'll keep saying this...4 months away from launch and we have seen ZERO campaign footage or screenshots, and everyone knows that the general story line is what also made the series because it really made the missions feel important.

Actually, I think Siege is, ironically, the nail in the coffin for tactical shooters. Outside of SWAT, it was really THE CQB tactical game series. This new game is just an inddor CoD with the Rainbow Six name on it.

And by the way...and I'll keep saying this...4 months away from launch and we have seen ZERO campaign footage or screenshots, and everyone knows that the general story line is what also made the series because it really made the missions feel important.

Hate to break it to you, but there is no campaign

Valkrai

Maybe when it comes to AAA devs making tactical shooters but indies nailed it (except for Takedown: Red Sabre).

Maybe when it comes to AAA devs making tactical shooters but indies nailed it (except for Takedown: Red Sabre).

The problem for me is that those indies don't come ever come to console :(. I'm stuck playing a 12 year old PS2 game through a backdoor LAN method at this point because Sony killed all of the socom servers and nobody else thinks a tactical shooter on consoles is worthwhile. It's very strange!

Valkrai

The problem for me is that those indies don't come ever come to console :(. I'm stuck playing a 12 year old PS2 game through a backdoor LAN method at this point because Sony killed all of the socom servers and nobody else thinks a tactical shooter on consoles is worthwhile. It's very strange!

I'm surprised honestly that none of those games haven't thought of porting to console because there is some demand there. I'd love to get IM on consoles but that'd be a while. I do think that Insurgency would be a game on console that would bring justice to tactical shooters over Siege.

thenexus6

I am a big RS fan, but for some reason I am doubting this game.. I just have a bad feeling. I really hope I am proved wrong and its awesome.

I'm surprised honestly that none of those games haven't thought of porting to console because there is some demand there. I'd love to get IM on consoles but that'd be a while. I do think that Insurgency would be a game on console that would bring justice to tactical shooters over Siege.

I WISH valve did more than a half ass attempt with CS:GO, if that was more successful i bet you anything there would be a lot more PC ports.

Top Bottom