• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone recommend me a game with good characters and story?

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon is a pretty great Time.

The House in Fata Morgana is a Classic.

Paper Mario Color Splash has absolutely lovely writing but the main narrative arc isn't the compelling part.

And Yes, Yakuza 0 is pretty dope.

The Talos Principle. Seriously, it's a great game and the story is fantastic and the characters you read about and the ones you interact with are all very well written. I played it after finishing The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne and thinking that I would never play something as good as those games for a long while, and Talos was pretty much on the same level.

Gulz1992

I think that the original Starcraft does a decent job getting you to like and care about the characters, and it also has the best story Blizzard has ever written.

Stiler

Siberia 3 just came out I think? I've never played any of them. Maybe now is the time? That might be a solid suggestion.

Big Longest Journey fan. Looking forward to playing Chapters whenever it's out on PS4.

Syberia I and II are classics, they are right up there with TLJ imo and one of my favorite adventure series of all time.

Syberia 3 seems to have some rough edges atm, but if you can handle animation issues/bad lipsyncing then it might be ok IF you enjoy Syberia I/II. I definitely say give those two a try and see how you like the characters/story.

jb1234

I own it, but I really wasn't feeling the combat system or OST. I could always give it another go I guess.

Yeah, I don't like TitS' combat system either but I keep pushing through the games because I like everything else about them. It just needs a speed-up function, haha.

Definitely play Planescape: Torment if you haven't already.

Thewonandonly

GAF what the hell is wrong with u today :O

Why has no one mentioned dangarompa yet? Hell I hate handheld gaming and I played that game for 10 hours and loved every second of it. Haven't gone back yet and I sold my vita so imma just buy it on the PS4 and enjoy it a lot more on that just like persona 5 compared to golden. But for real if you haven't played then yet get them. I'm not a guy that likes anime but damn I was so invested in the story and characters after just like 30 minutes.

Dabgarompa get it!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't like TitS' combat system either but I keep pushing through the games because I like everything else about them. It just needs a speed-up function, haha.

Definitely play Planescape: Torment if you haven't already.

Although a lot of people are suggesting Trails in the Sky (and for good reason) its much harder to get into now since the combat among other things are severely outdated (doesn't help it was originally a PSP game).

So OP instead, play Trails of Cold Steel on PS3, its a more modern take on the series, has social-link like elements similar to Persona while still having a really good story and characters with great world building that will make you much more interested in playing through Trails in the Sky later on and the battle system is simply fantastic and much more fast paced then TitS.

Also when you play it don't dismiss the characters or story just because it starts out tropey and slow, you played Persona so I hope you understand that things get more interesting as you go. Also ignore haters, Gaf loves to hate on Cold Steel 1 and 2 when they are fantastic RPG's (flawed sure, but what isn't?) that more people should be playing!

Silvawuff

Kingdom Hearts. It just had a great compilation release on PS4. Start with Birth by Sleep, then Kingdom Hearts, Chain of Memories, KHII and Dream Drop Distance.

Some will argue the story is really wacky, but if you play the games in story order, it's a very deep and satisfying tale with interesting and familiar characters. If you like Disney and Final Fantasy stuff along with action RPGs, this will keep you busy for a long time.

Undertale is another good suggestion. It's best going in blind on this one. It really makes you think about your choices in the game.

PillarEN

To The Moon.

The gameplay is very passive though. As in the game is not reliant on skill. The game is about the story though which I think many would tell you is worth experiencing.

They've all been mentioned, but my first thoughts were Undertale (which seems like an appropriate kind of game to follow up Persona, Nier and NITW), Life is Strange, Full Throttle and Wolfenstein TNO.

Firewatch (walking sim with amazing voice acting and dialog)

Oxenfree (2d point and click made by some ex-telltale people where teens actually talk like teens cough life is strange cough)

The Wolf Among Us (Telltale's best game imo)

Mass Effect 1 + Bring Down the Sky
Mass Effect 2 + Kasumi, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker

Dragon Age Origins + Awakening (kinda generic fantasy tbh but the execution is really well done)
Dragon Age: Inquisition has a poor and short main story but has some of the best characters Bioware's ever done, Trespasser DLC is great for the plot stuff too

Deus Ex Mankind Divided has some great side stories, Human Revolution isn't as strong in that department but it's worth playing first anyway

Fallout: New Vegas not only has great writing but amazing interactivity within the world

I didn't like Alpha Protocol's characters very much at all but I know other people who did, main story is decent too and the dialog system is well done. Can also roleplay as a gigantic asshole if that's your thing.

Titanfall 2 had a shockingly good dynamic with BT, your Titan bff

Halo 1 - Reach are above average when it comes to shooters as well

Max Payne 3 has some great monologues and feels like playing an action movie, MP 1 and 2 have great writing too (But I haven't played them :3 )

Red Dead Redemption is my favorite Rockstar open world main story

Controversial pick here but Steven Ogg completely sells Trevor in GTA V, his dialog and acting are fantastic

Bioshock 1's story and atmosphere are the only parts I liked about it lol
Bioshock 2's Minerva's Den DLC is really good as well

Dragon's Dogma isn't story focused by any means but its last few hours are some batshit insane stuff that's worth experiencing

Spec Ops the Line is a nice take on the AAA war shooter that dominated the genre for a bit

Child of Light is really sweet so far but I haven't finished it

Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong

NieR (Original): I would honestly say this game has better characters and "story" than Automata, though that's very dependent on the person; whatever the case, it's got some great stuff.

Spec Ops: The Line: This game is a fascinating and harrowing dive into characters and themes that I would highly recommend. Some of the best character writing I've ever seen in games.

The World Ends With You: A DS game that is more anime than the other ones I've listed, but is super charming and does tell a great, engaging story with strong, developed characters and an interesting plot that sticks to its themes.

Dremorak

Banned
I would reccomend Nier if you can find it, or Xenoblade :)

Both had stories that I really really enjoyed. Xenoblade is my favourite game story ever, and I loved the cast as well.

kromeo

I really liked the story and characters of Final Fantasy X

I know a lot of people don't like the main character and keep bringing up the laughing scene as some kind of evidence that the writing's awful but it will always be one of my favourite stories in gaming. Best ending as well

Top Bottom