• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can The 3DS and Switch Coexist Together?

Jubenhimer

For now, yes. But sooner or later, Nintendo is going to have to retire the 3DS. Having another video game console you can take with you on the market already defeats the point of the Switch. Not to mention, the 3DS is running on ancient hardware by now, and Nintendo can't keep that going forever. Still, I'm fine with the 3DS getting games until 2018 at least, I'd rather the system go out gracefully than come to a screeching, anti-climactic halt like the Wii U.

Brakke

Banned
Christ no. 3DS barely even exists as itself right now. Thing is old as heck, the only games that matter for it now now are new Picross e releases.

I thought it could pre launch but now after the fact I don't think so.

I'm looking at titles coming up for the 3DS or just released and can't help but think they would have had a better home on the Switch and not just something to release on the 3DS for the sake of releasing something.

2 examples are Mario Sports Superstars and Tank Troopers.

Mario Sports while not an amazing game looks like it could have been a nice launch month title to play via for something other than Zelda. Games like Tennis and Soccer could have shone as local multiplayer games with the 2 Joycons. Golf could have been a great game to play on either handheld or the TV, maybe even add in motion controls for it. I know it's not perfect but releasing it at this stage in the 3DS after it already has similar games seems pointless. On the Switch it would be a great filler game for people starved of things to play, on the 3DS its just a subpar game on a system with heaps of amazing titles.

Tank Troopers is a strange title, the multiplayer is local only and while the single player is fun, i can gaurentee you its been ignored this late in the 3DSs life. Now imagine it had of come to the Switch, a new IP to show off the system, a local multiplayer game to play with friends and maybe even online if that could add it. Would of been a nice fun multiplayer game to keep people happy until Splatoon comes out. At this stage no one is really playing attention to the 3DS, but in the Switch or could have been a thing.

I do see the need to keep content coming to the 3DS, but honestly I really do think they should be scaling back alot more just so the Switch has more content and the games don't get ignored.

baconcow

In my house, yes. In the marketplace, no. I think they will always have an ace up their sleeve with a 3DS successor, if the Switch ends up a failure.

psyfi

Banned
Not long term. It makes no sense. They're both handhelds. Even I see that, and I consider the Switch a true hybrid.

NolbertoS

GAF has such a short attention span. Remember Iwata praising the DS and saying it'll co-exist with GBA and then a year later, GBA gets discontinued and then 2 years later the GBa drive on DS gets removed. 3DS won't be in the market passed 2019 the latest.

clemenx

Banned
The "problem" is that 3DS is great enough that killing it outright wouldn't make much sense. Specially with the huge bump it got late 2016 thanks to Pokemon.

I think they will coexist this year, games that had already been planed for it will still come out but it will probably be non-existent in 2018

If they do it just for this year the Switch should be fine. No longer tho.

ryseing

It is worth noting that the 3DS is the only mainstream platform that isn't HD. It will continue to get lower cost titles for that reason.

SalvaPot

I think the 3DS can live like the Vita and just survive by third party games who don't want to invest in HD resources. Lots of ports and minor games are still getting released for them and they can charge $40 for them instead of the $20 they could get away with on Switch (Unless you are Capcom and have Violent Ken).

I can see 2 years more for 3DS, ceasing production in 2018 and the announcement of Switch DS/Mini.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If the Switch fizzles out, then they can ramp up their 3DS efforts going into 2018. Though as of now, Fire Emblem is jumping ship to the Switch after Echoes & Pokémon is rumored to be following suit, soooo......yeah.
I feel like ramping up on 3DS would be a death flag for 'em. If Switch fizzled and they had to retreat to the 3DS... that wouldn't be good! Its not a hot new item an far from a thing they could revitalize serious interest in! Would sure hope they have a genuinely new handheld in development right now if it ever came to that.

They do because of Nintendo's backward reasoning that the Switch is a home console first and a handheld second. The 3DS support and PR makes sense but past the Switch's release it only cements that image. Hopefully we see things change within the next year, because I'm ready to put mine to sleep.

Kalnos

Banned
I think it would be best if the 3ds went away... at the same time I'm hoping for a more portable Switch since the cartridges are so small.

Dryk

I didn't like the 3DS much - a DS with N64 level graphics and a dumb gimmick.
That's just straight up not true. It's held back by the screen but the model quality on 3DS is far above anything the 64 could do
ocarina_of_time_n64_3ds_comparison_thumb.jpg

Even the original DS could look better
sm64ds6.jpg

depward

They can but they shouldn't.

Nintendo should consolidate. One hardware device.

Wherever I play the 3DS I'm thinking: this is super old technology.

Knurek

Depends on how well Switch sells.
It it sells good, they will kill off 3DS soon, like they did with GBA and DS.

Caramello

They're different platforms with different target markets right now so of course they can co-exist.

I can't believe people think Nintendo shouldn't continue to release games on it...

Until Switch actually gets some games and has all the features implemented, absolutely. At this point not only do they coexist but the 3DS is the better handheld to own.

Sami+

God I hope not. I actively dislike playing games on 3DS. Dinky, underpowered hardware the day it came out- let alone 7 years later.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I certainly hope so; at least until Nintendo manages a smaller Switch anyway.

It's super convenient for me to slip my N3DS into my pocket when leaving the house in the morning to play a bit during my off time.

I couldn't imagine bringing my Switch to say...a movie theater to play during the pre-trailer ads. Its way too big and conspicuous for that. I practically have to have a ballistics carrying case to bring it around him because I feel like it's so fragile. The N3DS is roughly the dimensions of my iPhone 5c so I can easily slip it in and out of my pocket like a phone, don't have that luxury with the Switch.

Edit: One thing's for sure...I already miss the stereoscopic screen when I play my Switch. Breath of the Wild would be...well, breathtaking in 3D.

There will be a transitional period until Switch proves to be viable in the long run, supply issues are over and the install base grows.

Right now it's not affordable for too many, just look at how 2ds sold to the point of outselling new 3ds (impoverished country). Not every kid or parent can afford a 300+ € console right now. Plus thanks to Pokémon, there have been a lot of newcomers to 3DS recently.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I haven't touched my 3DS since the switch released. Oddly enough the switch has kind of made me start playing my vita again.

watershed

Banned
The 3ds is still selling and there is a large (enough) install base there for Nintendo to keep making money off of. We're generally older here on gaf but for many families the 3ds is the only gaming system kids have. For many teens, the 3ds is all they have. The 3ds has at least another year of life left to sell to late adopters, sell discounted greatest hits 1st party games, and sell a few smaller scale new games like Pikmin or off-shoots in popular franchises like FE Echoes. To me the 3ds has plenty of life left and I'm cool with it as long as there aren't big exclusives for it.

Alchemy

The 3DS is going to be milked as much as possible until the Switch cost can be reduced to take its place in the portable market. We'll probably see less New 3DSs and more 2DS to occupy the really low price point.

psyfi

Banned
GAF has such a short attention span. Remember Iwata praising the DS and saying it'll co-exist with GBA and then a year later, GBA gets discontinued and then 2 years later the GBa drive on DS gets removed. 3DS won't be in the market passed 2019 the latest.
Seriously though. Anyone who thinks the 3DS will carry significance past 2017 is bonkers.

asagami_

Banned
As a matter of fact, I expect Atlas continue to support 3DS until 2019 (and continue deliver games for Switch, too). But only them.

balohna

I play my 3DS more than I expected with a Switch and Zelda in my possession. Playing BoxBoxBoy on the train every day.

Kudo

I'd say it all depends on the sales of Switch, if it doesn't sell according to expectations developers on 3DS probably are not too keen to jump the ship.
Hopefully Switch gets the support it needs, I lent my 3DS to my brother many years ago and honestly haven't even thought to ask it back, some great games I need to play on it before giving it the burial but I'm ready for Switch anyway. (I have his Vita so it's fine.)

psyfi

Banned
I really can't imagine any scenario in which the Switch bombs so bad that Nintendo retreats to the 3DS. Does anyone honestly think that will happen?

Skeletos311

3DS fills a void in Nintendo's lineup that the Switch simply can't right now. 3DS is the cheap system you can buy one of for all your kids. Until you can get a Switch for around $150, the 3DS serves a purpose and Nintendo will want to keep it around.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Switch got a 40/40 game from Famitsu already. So unless they release a new version such as the DSLite. it's gonna peak this year,then fall off the face of the earth in 2018.

I highly doubt they're gonna release a new version. You can't make it smaller because of the JoyCons, and it doesn't need to be any bigger. We'll see.

Maybe they'll go back to the DS and release the DS3, or HDS, or whatever they decide to make.I don't see the Switch being a long time substitute.

batrush

Its done after this year. 2018 will have probably have some small obscure games and a couple localizations for westerners, but that's it.

3DS fills a void in Nintendo's lineup that the Switch simply can't right now. 3DS is the cheap system you can buy one of for all your kids. Until you can get a Switch for around $150, the 3DS serves a purpose and Nintendo will want to keep it around.
This. Price is everything. 2ds is made for kids and affordable. Switch is too expensive to give to your six year old!

Yes for about another year and a half or so the little system has been doing so strong the last few years with even more games still coming out for it. Cheap system for the whole family that seems pretty easy to make games for and localisations of franchises old and new will keep it busy until a few more Switch games come out.

Gba to ds was from 99 to 149 dollars.
2ds to switch is from 99 to 299 dollars.

The difference is too much to expect the same scenario.

knowing nintendo, they will release a cheaper version of the switch to boost switch sales.

Like, they could release a handheld-only switch where there arent detachable joycons.

Top Bottom