• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we stop griping about remasters?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One of the most IMO common complaints around here I see is people griping about remasters and I just don't get it and I have yet to see one single compelling reason as to why anybody should be against them. I created this thread because I am going to refute the major arguments I see against them and I would like to see someone after that offer a rational argument against them because it is just frustrating.

1. "Give me new games" - this has got to be the single worst argument I have seen for those being opposed to remasters because it has no basis in reality. The number of new AAA titles that have been released in 2014 has vastly outnumbered the remasters. Vastly.

Facts: New AAA titles on PS4/X1 (I am only considering big titles. I left off titles like Lego and Dynasty Warriors): 17 - this number can go way up if we consider indies and lesser titles.
Remasters: 7 (Im only considering 1 sku)

Sep, Oct and Nov had 10 new titles and during that time there were only 3 remasters. This "too many remasters" argument just got slapped and I can't wait to see if anyone can successfully argue otherwise.

2. "Quit wasting resources"- Most of these are farmed out to studios who specialize in porting and is not getting in the way of the main teams working on their games. This provides jobs and work for studios who may ot have work. There were some exceptions (Naughty Dog and Rockstar, 343), but there has not been one shred of legit evidence that a studio is devoting any significant resources to re-releasing titles on PS4/X1. They are cheap to make AND (get this) help provide additional funds to fund those NEW games you all want.

3. "Last gen needs to stay last gen" - A very selfish argument because it suggests that someone who already owns a PS4/X1 should go out and buy another system that they dont have. Many people do not have the space or desire to have multiple systems hooked up. I would prefer to have all of my favorite games playable on one or two systems with some nice graphical enhancements.

4. "Its taking advantage of gullible gamers" - this argument is plain dumb. You are NOT forced to buy the remasters. As a consumer you have a choice to buy or not buy something. It's not like your last gen version will cease to exist once the new version comes out.

5. "Get a PC" - Again, people assume that others have several hundred dollars to blow for the privilege of playing games with the best possible settings.

My personal view: I am 100% OK with remasters. I would love to have many of my favorite games ported to PS4/X1 with 1080p/60fps, higher rez textures and all DLC. For me that is a whole new experience. I can't afford $400+ to upgrade my PC (and I can't play exclusives on my PC) so a PS4/X1 re-release would suit me fine.

HOwever, I do feel that they should come out a fair price. SE re-releasing Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider at $60 was not even close to worth it and neither game had significant DLC so I waited until the price dropped. I would object if this becomes common practice.
The Halo: MCC is an example of exceptional value, while Metro Redux is an example of good value, while GTA5 and TLoU are debatable since they only include one game with a ton of enhancements. If they are going to re-release games from last gen I would prefer they be in a package that comes at a value price.

I look forward to this debate. Maybe I will learn something.

CozMick

Banned
I'm pretty sure the people who complain about remasters are the same people that say indies aren't real games.

You're fighting a losing battle. However I do agree with you 100%

Flappy

Banned
Agreed. It baffles me that people complain about remasters in a console generation with zero backwards compatibility.

I actually want MORE. Bring all the best up to date.

Springy

Facts: New AAA titles on PS4/X1 (I am only considering big titles. I left off titles like Lego and Dynasty Warriors): 17 - this number can go way up if we consider indies and lesser titles.
Remasters: 7 (Im only considering 1 sku)

Sep, Oct and Nov had 10 new titles and during that time there were only 3 remasters. This "too many remasters" argument just got slapped and I can't wait to see if anyone can successfully argue otherwise.

I think the argument will be tricky as there's already a basic statement we view very differently. "Only three." I think three of thirteen is a ridiculous number.

Easiest way to shut somebody up is to ask them directly how much they make. Money is usually the driving force behind negativity when it comes to consumer goods -- "I can't have it all, but I have it all up to this point... I want more".

Or ignore them and play what you want.

Flappy

Banned
The worst argument is when people call them a "Cheap money grab".

We always cry when a developer goes bust. Yet we bitch at them when they try to make extra money.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Agreed. It baffles me that people complain about remasters in a console generation with zero backwards compatibility.

I actually want MORE. Bring all the best up to date.

I'm glad that square is bringing FFX/X-2 HD to the PS4. lol

Capcom should port Okami as well.

Fdkn

I've had that same argument countless time on other forums and used those same points lol.

Some people can't just understand that not every product is aimed at them or that they don't HAVE to buy things they don't want.

kingwingin

I love re masters but only if they are priced right or include multiple games. Metro games are a great example of re masters done right, 2 games for 50 or you can buy it individually for 25 each.

I don't see a reason to complain, I personally love having all games in a series on one system. Rather than spaced out across 3

Fisty

The more remasters the better, I say. The newer consoles have a much greater chance of being supported on future hardware imo, so its likely PS4 games will carry forward with x86 to PS5.

My only concern with remasters is that, I think, sometimes the price is crazy. Other than that I welcome them.

TLOU with every dlc at the moment and at $50 was great, so was Diablo III and Metro Redux.

As a Wii U owner, I do want as many remasters as possible. One can argue a lot about lightning effects, face animation and other details, but SD to HD leap is too gigantic to dismiss just for the sake of "wanting new games" (especially when they do exist).

liquidtmd

Banned
Pretty sensible.

TLOU, Tomb Raider, Metro Redux I own and are fantastic experiences. I didnt own them on my 360 so am glad to experience them on PS4

Your logic extends equally to ports in the sense in that if they sell, let the market dictate if its worth it to the company. Even to the FFVII port incoming to PS4, yes Square screwed up with the announcement and botched the appearance of it but fuck it - I dont own a gaming PC, didnt own a PS2 or PS3 so Ill buy it on PS4

Constant moaning that Square-Enix are scum on GAF threads for the next three months...oh goodie

Fdkn

My only concern with remasters is that, I think, sometimes the price is crazy. Other than that I welcome them.

TLOU with every dlc at the moment and at $50 was great, so was Diablo III and Metro Redux.

If the price is crazy, like the FFX/X-2 one, just don't buy until it goes cheaper. Or don't buy it at all. That's a sqe problem to face.

How about SE releasing FF Type 0, a PSP game, for $60?

How about not buying something if you don't agree with its price

bigkurz

Banned
I'm with you.

a) Don't want it? Don't buy it.

b) No one is asking you to double dip. But realize not everyone bought the games last generation. I've put my ps3 away, and I never played the borderlands games. I'd gladly pay for a package of all 3 of them, remastered at great specs

c) Not everyone is a PC gamer. I don't wanna game on my computer. I game on my couch, in front of my tv. i have no desire to make a PC and output to a tv

d) Remaster = short dev cycle, relatively easier money, more ability to take risks on newer IP

Hugstable

Banned
I'm fine with remasters, I usually like replaying games I enjoy anyway so I never really had a problem with remasters as long as they are decently priced. Just this year I've enjoyed TLOU, Tomb Raider and even Bayonetta 1 thanks to remastering.

And I agree with the OP, if you don't like remasters, just don't buy them. Noone is forcing you to buy any game.

The Lamp

I love remasters because I don't think many games coming out today are as good or better than some of the gems that came out in the past, so I would like to experience them again with the benefits of new technology.

However, Type-O pricing is grade A bullshit.

I love remasters. All these games I kept hearing about like TLoU but never could play and then bam, I'm enjoying the best version. Uncharted 1-3 please.

They aren't for the people who already played them they are for newcomers. And they help fund riskier new titles. And give other parts of the team or another team something to do so they aren't laid off after a big release.

DorkyMohr

Banned
I don't recall ever hearing anyone say #3 or #4.

I think the problem is when it's a crapshoot whether or not the remaster is actually a nicer version. In an ideal world I'd have no problem with the best versions being the remasters but porting up doesn't always seem to be as straightforward as you would think.
A few examples:

Silent Hill HD
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas HD

Hiko

Banned
This is just another stupid thing you only see on gaming forums. If I went to a movie forum I doubt I'd see people griping over old movies coming out on bluray. And that's despite bluray players being fully backwards compatible with dvd.

I think the more games from ps3/360 get ported the better. Yes, that's mostly due to lack of BC, but it's the best next solution.

Springy

The more remasters the better, I say. The newer consoles have a much greater chance of being supported on future hardware imo, so its likely PS4 games will carry forward with x86 to PS5.

PS5 won't be backwards compatible; how will they sell you The Order 1886 Remastered?

This is just another stupid thing you only see on gaming forums.

If I went to a movie forum I doubt I'd see people griping over old movies coming out on bluray. And that's despite bluray players being fully backwards compatible with dvd.

What if seven of seventeen movies at the movie theater were not new?

As long as they're reasonably priced, ported well, and don't take away resources from newer games (Which is rarely the case, if ever), I fully welcome them.

I will say that Type-0 HD should have been $50 at most, though. Still plan on buying it, but yeah.

molnizzle

Remasters kick ass.

I never played God of War III/Ascension, Uncharted 3 or Heavy Rain. Gimme some remasters of that shit plz.

Also didn't finish Gears 3 or Judgement. 1080p60 remasters again plz thx.

Also Mass Effect trilogy.

JUST REMASTER ALL OF IT

PS5 won't be backwards compatible; how will they sell you The Order 1886 Remastered?

Unless the PS5 can drive 4k resolutions I don't see that happening.

Yeh we have a ton of new games out already and coming out next year.

I think remasters are in style this gen because we finally have enough power within the system to create a clean IQ. Games last gen were still ugly as F on consoles with jaggies everywhere, sub 30fps framerates, sub HD resolutions, etc.

So yeh, give me my Dragons Dogma and Demons Souls remasters!

If you love remasters so much get a kick ass PC and play every game as a 1080p 60 fps remaster
I love these kind of nonsense statements. "If you care so much about........ get a PC".
Uh no! People care about XYX and are console players. They want to game on a console.
So they care about XYX on consoles. Consoles!

I do need to not gripe about them. I don't do it on Neogaf but, I'll admit I have done it.

Honestly though last couple of months though I have seen more people asking for more remasters though.

Dinda

When DVD's replaced VHS, people began buying their favoutite movies again on DVD, and it's the same with BluRay now even when BluRay Players still play their DVD's.

Why shouldn't it be the same for Games?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Remasters.

I don't agree, remastering games from two years ago is just plain boring and it takes away people who could've
developed a new game (it doesn't matter if the AAA number outnumbers the remastered games, the point is that they could've developed another one).

Remaking games from two generations ago is ok on the other hand, because they actually look different
(and play different), like REmake* or Wind Waker HD, the SD to HD leap is just something different (in my opinion),
and those games have been released like 10 years ago.

*it's just one gen difference, but REmake and original one still look like two generations apart.

Biker19

Banned
c) Not everyone is a PC gamer. I don't wanna game on my computer. I game on my couch, in front of my tv. i have no desire to make a PC and output to a tv

I love these kind of nonsense statements. "If you care so much about........ get a PC".
Uh no! People care about XYX and are console players. They want to game on a console.
So they care about XYX on consoles. Consoles!

Thank you. People shouldn't have to spend between $600 to $1,000 just to play these games on PC at Native 1080p with a steady 60 FPS.

bigkurz

Banned
I don't recall ever hearing anyone say #3 or #4.

I think the problem is when it's a crapshoot whether or not the remaster is actually a nicer version. In an ideal world I'd have no problem with the best versions being the remasters but porting up doesn't always seem to be as straightforward as you would think.
A few examples:

Silent Hill HD
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas HD

Really? I see #4 ALL THE TIME, especially on other forums.

Anyone who even suggests they would like to buy a Square Enix remaster is instantly called a sheep.

RooMHM

This is just another stupid thing you only see on gaming forums.

If I went to a movie forum I doubt I'd see people griping over old movies coming out on bluray. And that's despite bluray players being fully backwards compatible with dvd.
You don t have to shoot movies again before getting them to bluray.

Remasters give a bad signal to industry leaders. Don t cry when more paid dlc for on disc content and other anti consumer practices come out.
Also, it s worrying because it means people are ok to replay the same games with just update technical parameters.

I like being able to play games I like on one console. Backwards compatibility would've been nice, but it didn't happen.

I'd still like to see a Bioshock/Infinite+DLC remaster
PC port
, but at this point I doubt it's happening

MilesTeg

Banned
How about that they dilute the total software lineup. A bunch of remasters is not incentive to buy a new machine, and makes their software lineup look stale. These aren't PS2 games; we already played these games in HD. The difference isn't nearly as big, and we are seeing these "remasters" a lot earlier in the generation this time.

It's making the software lineup look stale, especially when combined with the yearly franchise releases like CoD and AC which are clearly losing their power in the market due to franchise fatigue. As well as many games being cross gen already, so essentially it seems like you are already buying a remaster as it is.

When you combine cross gen games, yearly releases, and remasters, this gen's software support is looking very stale so far imo.

You can put me on team remaster. Many of the games getting remastered had technical/performance issues which stopped me enjoying them first time around (GTA5 and The Last of Us). Now I can enjoy them and they look and play better than ever.

Not to mention remasters of games like REmake, that would be at risk of being forgotten, or becoming overly difficult to find and play otherwise. PC versions of games especially help ensure that for at least the next few decades these games will be something people can revisit easily whenever they want.

molnizzle

Those black bars can be as big as they want.

LiVPnPN.gif

Touché.

Tagyhag

Hah, not happening.

Not only will the PS5 not be strong enough to emulate the PS4, but the devs already know they can re-release everything and people will buy it. BC is dead unless it's Nintendo.

I'm fine with remasters unless it's done badly or the price is a slap to the face.

Yes not everyone wants to build a PC, but if you don't want a premium experience, you shouldn't have to pay a premium price as well.

RowdyReverb

I think the reason for the explosion in remasters is that publishers weren't expecting the new console generation to catch on quite so abruptly and were caught with their pants down, so to speak. The quickest way they could rush a game to the game-starved new console owners is to port an existing game, so many of them did so with varying results. I think the tide of remasters will begin to slow as early as next year as studios by then will have had ample time to fully focus their production on the popular new consoles.

I, too, am fine with remasters, especially when I haven't played the game yet. I missed Tomb Raider and the Metro games last gen, for example, and I've been really glad that I could enjoy them in an enhanced way on my new box. There's still a few more remastered collections I hope to see before the fad ends though: Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioshock Trilogy, Arkham Trilogy, Uncharted Trilogy, and a Gears of War collection. While some of these could be spruced up on a modern mid-range PC, some of the texture work has aged poorly (I'm looking at you, Bioshock 1/2).

Top Bottom