• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, preordering Devil Survivor 2 from BestBuy.ca was a bad idea.

Still "processing".

And the product page says out of stock.

So did I get fucked over? Should I just cancel and try to find it somewhere else?

Edit: Just read the post above mine. Screw it, BB is a shithole. Ordering from VGP.

Same thing happened with BlazBlue. I *think* it just means they got their shipment in late, but I'm not sure. It took them a week to get BlazBlue after release date, and considering it was 10 dollars cheaper than EB, I was totally fine with that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't own a printer. Has anyone ever successfully used a coupon like this via showing their iPhone?
Yes, that's how I used it for the Vita pre-order deal and it's how I always do it when I redeem Reward Zone certificates. Only one time they didn't want to type out the number on the RZ cert (at the CS counter and he was old) so I logged into my account there and printed it out for him so he could scan the bar code.

zroid

Banned
Edit: And Cave Story 3DS is still in pre-order status...31/12/2012 release date...

Lol. I don't understand. Did you forget that you had pre-ordered it? Surely by now you would've either cancelled and picked up a copy in-store or given them a call. :S

Surprised that so many have problems with Best Buy. I pretty much buy all my games there -- at least those that I can. Their price match policy and the loyalty program provide the best deal by far, in most cases. The only reason I might get a game elsewhere is for exclusive pre-order bonuses like the Future Shop steelbooks.

Yes, that's how I used it for the Vita pre-order deal and it's how I always do it when I redeem Reward Zone certificates. Only one time they didn't want to type out the number on the RZ cert (at the CS counter and he was old) so I logged into my account there and printed it out for him so he could scan the bar code.

For some reason (maybe my printer sucks), the barcodes on my certificates never seem to scan right. Can't even remember the last time the cashier didn't have to manually enter the number.

Same thing happened with BlazBlue. I *think* it just means they got their shipment in late, but I'm not sure. It took them a week to get BlazBlue after release date, and considering it was 10 dollars cheaper than EB, I was totally fine with that.

Good to know it's their regular modus operandi. For me, the price difference here was only 5 bucks and I'd rather not have to deal with what appears to be quite inconsistent ship times.

Thanks, though. Now I know for next time.

schlew

So I pre-ordered SSX last summer from Best Buy and just checked my order status: "Shipment Cancelled". What does that even mean. They did send me a promo code via e-mail. Best Buy -_-

Edit: And Cave Story 3DS is still in pre-order status...31/12/2012 release date...

About Cave Story, I remember that (for whatever reason) they had two Cave Story product pages. One, the one you see with the fake boxart, was always listed as having that vague release date. The other had the official boxart, and the correct release date. Now, I imagine it's out of print and they shipped out all their copies, so they only have their weird product that doesn't really exist. I have seen it in best Buy stores though, so if you need some help getting it, let me know.

As far as best Buy online goes, I know that out of 5 items I've bought, I've cancelled all but one and just went to the store. The reason I keep ordering from them is because my Dad gives me their giftcards. I too had the problem with Devil Survivor 2, and ended up cancelling it. I called and complained that I basically pre-ordered nothing if they aren't going to just come out and tell me what is going on. In-store their perfectly fine, it's their online that's awful.

Firestorm

Repost from what I posted in the PC thread for PC Gaming Canada GAF:
Got a 128GB Crucial M4 coming my way. Price Matched Amazon.ca's price on Futureshop.ca and called in for a price beat. Memory Express and Tiger Direct have it at the same price if there's one in your area to price match (otherwise there's a shipping charge).

$330.99 - $149.99 = $181.00 * 10% = $18.10
$149.99 - $18.10 = $131.89

128GB Crucial M4 for $131.89+tax :D

Can anyone recommend a cheap 2.5" -> 3.5" adapter/bracket? I have an Antec 300 case.

So I pre-ordered SSX last summer from Best Buy and just checked my order status: "Shipment Cancelled". What does that even mean. They did send me a promo code via e-mail. Best Buy -_-

Shoulda e-mailed complaining. My friend had that happen for Skyward Sword and they sent him the game free.

Speaking of which, Mass Effect 3 on Tuesday means that this will likely become "Why is Future Shop so shitty" again as I think many of us have it pre-ordered from the E3 deal and that shit hasn't worked correctly once yet. I know my copy hasn't shipped. Remember you can buy it in store and use the store receipt to return the online copy once it gets to you.

ShaneB

Speaking of which, Mass Effect 3 on Tuesday means that this will likely become "Why is Future Shop so shitty" again as I think many of us have it pre-ordered from the E3 deal and that shit hasn't worked correctly once yet. I know my copy hasn't shipped. Remember you can buy it in store and use the store receipt to return the online copy once it gets to you.

Yeah, if my copy isn't shipped by tuesday, I'll just go pick up a copy and return the shipped one.

Lol. I don't understand. Did you forget that you had pre-ordered it? Surely by now you would've either cancelled and picked up a copy in-store or given them a call. :S

I did contact them soon after I saw it in-store. Had a back and forth conversation with one of the reps and then never heard anything back since then. Its original date was 31/12/11, so I figured I'd just wait 'till the end of last year to receive it, but then they changed it to 31/12/12...

About Cave Story, I remember that (for whatever reason) they had two Cave Story product pages. One, the one you see with the fake boxart, was always listed as having that vague release date. The other had the official boxart, and the correct release date. Now, I imagine it's out of print and they shipped out all their copies, so they only have their weird product that doesn't really exist. I have seen it in best Buy stores though, so if you need some help getting it, let me know.

Yeah that's what happened, and I did notify them that the game should only have one SKU. Only to never heard of it since late last year. Great customer service. I'm sure I can still find it in-store, thanks though. The only problem is I want it at the price I pre-ordered it ($31.49). I sent them another e-mail.

Just noticed Tekken 3DS is also listed for the end of this year...

sikkinixx

Repost from what I posted in the PC thread for PC Gaming Canada GAF:
Got a 128GB Crucial M4 coming my way. Price Matched Amazon.ca's price on Futureshop.ca and called in for a price beat. Memory Express and Tiger Direct have it at the same price if there's one in your area to price match (otherwise there's a shipping charge).

$330.99 - $149.99 = $181.00 * 10% = $18.10
$149.99 - $18.10 = $131.89

128GB Crucial M4 for $131.89+tax :D

Can anyone recommend a cheap 2.5" -> 3.5" adapter/bracket? I have an Antec 300 case.

People on RFD recommended this one:

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/222458/OCZACSSDBRKT2/OCZ Technology/
I am trying to PM NCIX with it but who knows if they will accept.

Shipping notice wait day:

FutureShop: Mass Effect 3: Collector's Edition (got this for $20). Still waiting.
Amazon.com: Game of Thrones $47 shipped. Great deal but I assume this will take a while to get to me. Still expect it to ship today.

Quadratic

Shipping notice wait day:

FutureShop: Mass Effect 3: Collector's Edition (got this for $20). Still waiting.
Amazon.com: Game of Thrones $47 shipped. Great deal but I assume this will take a while to get to me. Still expect it to ship today.

I've ordered a lot of DVD's and Blu Rays from Amazon.com (they are cheaper a lot of times than .ca WTF) and they always seem to arrive a few days before the expected delivery date. However your mileage may vary depending on where you are located for mail delivery. I live in West Scarborough and my mail service has been stellar for as long as I can remember.

I've ordered a lot of DVD's and Blu Rays from Amazon.com (they are cheaper a lot of times than .ca WTF) and they always seem to arrive a few days before the expected delivery date. However your mileage may vary depending on where you are located for mail delivery. I live in West Scarborough and my mail service has been stellar for as long as I can remember.

I'm on the West End of Toronto. Sometimes these things ship from Canada even though I order from Amazon.com. Hope that happens this time.

Quadratic

I just looked at my Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum points and I have 99000+ points. Never realized I had so much. Anyways, I was thinking of getting a Vita with the 170 discount. Do they even sell them at SDM in the GTA? I don't think I've seen them in store. I know they have a deal with Sony to sell their stuff in store. If anyone can suggest a location I can call I would be grateful.

vulva

Had my first real issue with EB Games today. Previously I had personal arguments with employees who were being condescending. I get that's just the employee, so I don't blame the company.

Today, though, I went to cancel a pre-order to get some money back. The gentleman behind the counter asked which game I'd like to switch it to, fair enough. When I said none he told me that since they didn't know how I paid they could only give a gift card with that amount on it. At this point he didn't even know if I had a receipt on hand or anything. Granted, I didn't have a receipt but I know that they store form of payment when a purchase is made.

So he told me I was out of luck and I could only get a gift card. When I told him that I'm pretty sure to take someone's money without a completed transaction is illegal he went back in the system. This time he said it did state I paid in cash and he returned the money to me.

I got what I wanted so I can't complain there. I just didn't like that he tried to take advantage of a customer's potential ignorance there. Some kid or mom or something might have believed him and been denied what they're entitled to. Pretty poor form I thought.

Brinbe

Not sure if already posted, but HMV currently has a great clearance sale going on at the moment with Games/Accessories up to 75% and consoles 30%.

Was able to pick up

Wii Classic Controller Pro
360 Quick Charge Kit
PS3 Nav controller
2 Move Controllers
PSEye

all for about 70 bucks at the Y&B HMV, all 75% off. Missed out on the Move Bundle I wanted, but still not bad. Will probably go back for games later.

They still had a few 360/PS3 accessories left at that location, and quite a lot of games left. Also checked at at the Eaton Centre location, and they were pretty much cleared out of accessories already, but also had tons of games left as well.

I read that the First Canadian Place location at King/Bay is also in on this too, but I haven't checked personally to see what they had left.

I know this deal has been posted on RFD/CAG for a few days, so better act fast haha. Hope y'all can find some good deals in your cities.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just looked at my Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum points and I have 99000+ points. Never realized I had so much. Anyways, I was thinking of getting a Vita with the 170 discount. Do they even sell them at SDM in the GTA? I don't think I've seen them in store. I know they have a deal with Sony to sell their stuff in store. If anyone can suggest a location I can call I would be grateful.
If you do find one (and I only saw it randomly in a mall SDM of all places), you might stalk that store and wait when your points are worth 250 dollars instead of 170. Apparently there's supposed to be one of those crazy redemption things this month.

Not sure if already posted, but HMV currently has a great clearance sale going on at the moment with Games/Accessories up to 75% and consoles 30%.

Was able to pick up

360 Quick Charge Kit
PS3 Nav controller
2 Move Controllers
PSEye

all for about 70 bucks at the Y&B HMV, all 75% off. Missed out on the Move Bundle I wanted, but still not bad. Will probably go back for games later.

They still had a few 360/PS3 accessories left at that location, and quite a lot of games left. Also checked at at the Eaton Centre location, and they were pretty much cleared out of accessories already, but also had tons of games left as well.

I read that the First Canadian Place location at King/Bay is also in on this too, but I haven't checked personally to see what they had left.

I know this deal has been posted on RFD/CAG for a few days, so better act fast haha. Hope y'all can find some good deals in your cities.

Yep I can confirm this. HMV @ FCP was a madhouse during my lunch hour, haven't seen it that busy since Boxing Day. Managed to get the last Wii remote & Classic controller plus. No games worth getting (for me at least) Heard Catherine was 60% off but was long gone. Looks like HMW is going out of the game selling business. First Sears Canada, now them. Not that either of them were great or anything but now we're having fewer and fewer competitors. :(

IISANDERII

That $20 off on 360 wireless controller is also at Future Shop.

Was able to pick up

360 Quick Charge Kit
PS3 Nav controller
2 Move Controllers
PSEye

Is HMV going out of business?

Eternia

Yep I can confirm this. HMW @ FCP was a madhouse during my lunch hour, haven't seen it that busy since Boxing Day. Managed to get the last Wii remote & Classic controller plus. No games worth getting (for me at least) Heard Catherine was 60% off but was long gone. Looks like HMW is going out of the game selling business. First Sears Canada, now them. Not that either of them were great or anything but now we're having fewer and fewer competitors. :(
I saw someone pick up Catherine for 360 but it was in an ugly black box so it's opened too. Hate that.

It really did get busy all of a sudden at noon. Such a weird sight for HMV.

Firestorm

For those in Metro Vancouver, don't worry about HMV sale. The only store left that sells games is apparently Metrotown and RFD reports they've been picked clean =( I would not have minded a Kinect at 75% off.
I've been wanting an SSD as a boot drive. Been spending on things like crazy lately. Might hold off... :/
My HDD is crapping out so I figure if I'm going to re-install Windows I might as well do it on an SSD. There's a great deal on it due to Future Shop's insane computer part pricing and a sale on Amazon / MemoryExpress on the 128GB Crucial M4.
People on RFD recommended this one:

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/222458/OCZACSSDBRKT2/OCZ Technology/
I am trying to PM NCIX with it but who knows if they will accept.
Thanks! I remember seeing this when I was contemplating an SSD a month or so ago but couldn't for the life of me find it again.
As mentioned, wait for the Redemption Event if you can. Keep an eye out on this thread and/or RFD!

krae_man

The HMV's where I live already had squat left for video game stuff. They had only one shelf filled with random crap. They haven't had anything worthwhile for months.

The only stuff worthwhile was 50% off PSP accessories but I already have everything I need in that department.

Just wondering... did stores stopped selling PSP cards? They used to have Patapon 2, Syphon Filter and more available as PSN download vouchers/cards and they don't carry it no more. Would love to pick those up for Vita...

Just wondering... did stores stopped selling PSP cards? They used to have Patapon 2, Syphon Filter and more available as PSN download vouchers/cards and they don't carry it no more. Would love to pick those up for Vita...

Yeah, I haven't been seeing these anywhere. I know gamestop US is selling codes for games through their website.

I saw someone pick up Catherine for 360 but it was in an ugly black box so it's opened too. Hate that.

It really did get busy all of a sudden at noon. Such a weird sight for HMV.

Oh, I think those black boxes are the display ones but when you take them to the counter they will give you the actual copy. But I'd like to think it really was an opened black box, therefore I can tell myself I wasn't so bad missing out on the deal. ;P

Was able to pick up

360 Quick Charge Kit
PS3 Nav controller
2 Move Controllers
PSEye

Is it worth checking out the Y&B HMV at all today?

Hyunkel6

Went to Downtown Montreal's HMV during lunch. A lot of games were between 30% and 75% off, but most of them were overpriced to begin with. I managed to grab Animal Crossing Wii for $8 and Brutal Legend for $5.

Eternia

Oh, I think those black boxes are the display ones but when you take them to the counter they will give you the actual copy. But I'd like to think it really was an opened black box, therefore I can tell myself I wasn't so bad missing out on the deal. ;P
That would make more sense. Just felt wrong that nearly 1/4 of what was on display was either opened (no security sticker) or in a black case. Worse than the other stores downtown.

Quadratic

Shoppers Drug is having bonus redemption days March 10 & 11, and it seems to be store-wide.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/shoppers-drug-mart-bonus-redemption-mar-10-11-a-1150096/

I coincidentally got the card in the mail when I got home from work. "up to $200 for 95K points".

The 18.5K on $75 is good till tomorrow. I think I'll do that for a Vita. I can get 30+K points with the remainder of the $170 redemption and the separate purchase of a memory card. So that's $60 in points.

I also called around and the Yonge and Bloor location has 6 Vita's in stock along with three 16GB memory cards. They don't have the other sizes.

Firestorm

I coincidentally got the card in the mail when I got home from work. "up to $200 for 95K points".

The 18.5K on $75 is good till tomorrow. I think I'll do that for a Vita. I can get 30+K points with the remainder of the $170 redemption and the separate purchase of a memory card. So that's $60 in points.

I also called around and the Yonge and Bloor location has 6 Vita's in stock along with three 16GB memory cards. They don't have the other sizes.
Wouldn't the best idea be to buy memory card and/or games now for the bonus points, then use the redemption event to buy the Vita this weekend? That way you're getting the $200 instead of $170 and you're still getting an extra $25 worth of bonus points or whatever it is.

Quadratic

Good suggestion but I don't think I'm buying any games at the moment, just a mem card (I have a lof of PSN PSP backlog). It could change after I sleep on it. I can get more points with the 18.5K promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom