• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
My Uncharted 3 Story

- Pre-ordered from FS with E3 promotion for $40 (+tax --> $45)

- Traded it back to FS in December for $50, with the intention of rebuying it for cheaper later. $50 was just too good to pass up, since I was essentially profiting off the game.

- If I buy it now for $20 (from, again, FS!), net cost will be about $17 after taxes. Not too shabby, huh? Especially considering I had the fortune of already finishing the game back in November.

zroid

Banned
That feels like a lot of back and forth just to save $6.

Don't misunderstand, it's not like I had this all plotted out, lol. I had never intended to trade the game in. I bought it for $40 at launch; that was the plan. It just so happens that through the series of events that unfolded, I could end up spending less than half than I originally intended. Or, if you go back to before E3, I was fully willing to spend the full $60, because I would have bought it at launch regardless, so less than a third of what I had originally intended. :)

Cru Jones

Don't misunderstand, it's not like I had this all plotted out, lol. I had never intended to trade the game in. I bought it for $40 at launch; that was the plan. It just so happens that through the series of events that unfolded, I could end up spending less than half than I originally intended. Or, if you go back to before E3, I was fully willing to spend the full $60, because I would have bought it at launch regardless, so less than a third of what I had originally intended. :)

The same could be said about anyone who waited to purchase. I didn't buy it because I didn't have the time. Now that I do, I can get it for 1/3 of the price I originally intended too :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The same could be said about anyone who waited to purchase. I didn't buy it because I didn't have the time. Now that I do, I can get it for 1/3 of the price I originally intended too :)
Only problem is the used copy for $20 doesn't come with the online pass if someone already used it.

zroid

Banned

True, but I technically got it at launch and finished the game. And got the online pass. And all that jazz. It's not like I would have replayed it in the time between November and now either, so for me it basically feels like getting the game brand new at launch for $18.

Not to take anything away from the fact that you waited :p

I don't normally do this rigmarole of trading in games and getting them later for cheap so I may be a little bit more enthused about it than some others.

yay! finally :D (me3 ce)
hopefully i should get it on Friday

yay!

Firestorm

My Uncharted 3 Story

- Traded it back to FS in December for $50, with the intention of rebuying it for cheaper later. $50 was just too good to pass up, since I was essentially profiting off the game.

- If I buy it now for $20 (from, again, FS!), net cost will be about $17 after taxes. Not too shabby, huh? Especially considering I had the fortune of already finishing the game back in November.
Same! Can't remember if I used my online pass or not though XD

SaitoH

My Uncharted 3 Story

I did the first two steps. I want to buy back U3 at some point, but I won't bother right now.

Socreges

Banned
Looking to buy a PS3 (as I have been, on and off, for a few years now). What's the best deal out there at the moment? I probably shouldn't expect a price drop or insane deal to come along anytime soon, right?

the3ye

Where can I get hori filters for 3DS in Vancouver?
I f* up the one from playasia, and I'd like to get it....like today

Quick

Banned
Looking to buy a PS3 (as I have been, on and off, for a few years now). What's the best deal out there at the moment? I probably shouldn't expect a price drop or insane deal to come along anytime soon, right?

You could go with refurbished ones from EB Games. They're under $200.

wingz

Tales of Graces f and a whole bunch of other games releasing next week are eligible for T2 @ Future Shop. Kinda of glad that I waited on trading for Street Fighter X Tekken.

Socreges

Banned
Could I get your guys' thoughts on this $300 package:

120 GB PS3, bought in June 2011. Looks/functions like new.
4 Year extended warranty purchased from best buy, can be transferred to your name.
Includes:
hdmi cable
2 controllers
Games:
Call of Duty MW3
Call of Duty Black ops
Portal 2
Need for Speed Pro Street
PS3 Slim 160GB is $250.
HDMI cable is $20, give or take.
Extra PS3 controller is $50
CODMW3 is about $50 used
Portal is about $25 used

Good deal? Is BB's extended warranty worth a damn?

Any comments would be appreciated

[edit] Quick, might look into that but I'm reluctant with refurbished electronics

looks like some nice deals from BB/FS for a change.

BBUY_b9825ac2-64c0-4e7b-a868-baca407e25a0_150_BB_030912_p18_00X11.jpg

FUTS_f5d5b73e-ccaa-4533-8c3c-8f9bc4e9aad4_150_030912_p17_00.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is the status of 3D Classic: Kid Icarus, as a preorder bonus, known in Canada? Can't find information for it on Best Buy, Amazon.ca, or Gamestop. Might just order from Amazon.com to be safe?

zroid

Banned
Is the status of 3D Classic: Kid Icarus, as a preorder bonus, known in Canada? Can't find information for it on Best Buy, Amazon.ca, or Gamestop. Might just order from Amazon.com to be safe?

So far we haven't heard a damn thing about it so it's safe to assume for now that at the very least retailers won't be involved in the promotion. I am holding out a sliver of hope that Nintendo of Canada has instead decided to pack codes in the game boxes of the initial KI:U shipment. But again, we've heard nothing. :/

--

I'm happy to see ToGf advertised in the flyer, that usually means you can count on it being available in-store on that day. I was a bit worried it'd be ultra-limited, online-only kinda thing.

I don't think we're getting the download code, unfortunately. We do get bonus AR cards, though. Wouldn't it be like super expensive to get the game from amazon.com? You could just wait and pay to dl 3D Classics KI when it hits the eShop.

CTE

Shoppers is offering a 160GB PS3 for 250, but you get a 50 dollar gift card with it. Good deal if you need to pick up a few things at SDM. Would rather have that deal than a free 20 dollar game. Plus, you also get SDM points.

Starts March 10th and ends March 16th.

Edit - If you already have points you can get extra money for them this weekend, too. You get an extra $15($100) for 50,000 points redeemed. Then you get an extra $30($200) for every 95,000 redeemed.

So basically if you have 95,000 points built up. Redeem them this Saturday and get the PS3 for 50 bucks. THEN you get a gift card for 50 on top of that. So it's a FREE PS3 essentially.

Sajjaja

Could I get your guys' thoughts on this $300 package:

PS3 Slim 160GB is $250.
HDMI cable is $20, give or take.
Extra PS3 controller is $50
CODMW3 is about $50 used
Portal is about $25 used

Good deal? Is BB's extended warranty worth a damn?

Any comments would be appreciated

[edit] Quick, might look into that but I'm reluctant with refurbished electronics

I was reluctant with refurb electronics as well, but I dished out $150 for a refurb PS3 from EB back in December and it's been working fine.

Also, I got 2 PHilips gold plated 8ft HDMI cables for $20 at Tigerdirect. Brand new, awesome deal.

Portal 2, you won't be able to activate it on Steam since it is used, unless of course you get lucky and it the code works.

I think it's a pretty decent deal. Then again, I don't know how BB refurbished it, is it factory refurbished or did they do it themselves?

iphys

With BestBuy's current online sale you can get 10% off Kid Icarus plus the 800 RZ points.

I pre-ordered before the RZ points when it was $5 off for pre-order and $5 off for an online sale. I suppose it's possible they would give me the 800 RZ points on top of that anyway, because they do seem to have been giving me extra RZ points on some purchases, but being as I ordered with a credit card that got fraudulently used and BestBuy's website keeps choking when I try to update it to my new card, I went ahead and re-pre-ordered now. I still have two E3 games on that credit card that their website won't let me change either, and it's really annoying -- anyone else have this problem of not being able to update payment info on their website?

isny

napkin dispenser
With BestBuy's current online sale you can get 10% off Kid Icarus plus the 800 RZ points.

I pre-ordered before the RZ points when it was $5 off for pre-order and $5 off for an online sale. I suppose it's possible they would give me the 800 RZ points on top of that anyway, because they do seem to have been giving me extra RZ points on some purchases, but being as I ordered with a credit card that got fraudulently used and BestBuy's website keeps choking when I try to update it to my new card, I went ahead and re-pre-ordered now. I still have two E3 games on that credit card that their website won't let me change either, and it's really annoying -- anyone else have this problem of not being able to update payment info on their website?

They'll just send you an email saying the credit card was declined, and you'll need to call in to update it, otherwise, you'll be fine.

I wonder if you get the pre-order bonus (AR cards) if you pre-order online (says it's only valid in-store). I suppose you have to decide between $4 (ordered online) or the AR cards.

iphys

I don't really have a choice since I have no public transit to take me to BestBuy right now anyway. I'm willing to bet someone will scan the cards and we'll be able to download them at some point; otherwise, people will drive themselves insane trying to collect all the exclusive ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom