• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
Crewnh said:
Damn, I bought Vanquish for nearly $30 from EB like a week ago. Goddamn it.
Why not return it for store credit and then use that in the sale? Or were you over the return policy deadline?

soultron

Banned
Back when I used to work at EB, we would let anyone return a used game within 7 days for the exact amount they paid, but in store credit. It was a way to essentially rent, complete, and get another used game every week if you abused it at different stores every time. Haha.

soultron said:
Why not return it for store credit and then use that in the sale? Or were you over the return policy deadline?
Yeah, I think I am. Oh well. It's not that big a deal, it was their last copy.

soultron said:
Back when I used to work at EB, we would let anyone return a used game within 7 days for the exact amount they paid, but in store credit. It was a way to essentially rent, complete, and get another used game every week if you abused it at different stores every time. Haha.

Can you still do that ?!?

soultron

Banned
papersleeves said:
Can you still do that ?!?
I'm not sure. You have to remember that the game you want to take out next might require you paying the difference if it costs more than your last one, so YMMV.

SickBoy

No, I'm pretty sure they stopped that policy a long time ago. I think it was a great policy for me, but totally understood when they backed off on it -- too susceptible to abuse.

iphys

When you trade in games, do you pay tax on the remaining cost of the new game or the full value of the new game?

Median

iphys said:
When you trade in games, do you pay tax on the remaining cost of the new game or the full value of the new game?

Depends on where you do it. Best Buy and Future Shop treat trade in credit as gift cards basically, so they calculate your total with tax and then use your credit towards that. EB/Gamestop will take the credit off before tax, and you'll pay tax on the difference.

iphys

Median said:
Depends on where you do it. Best Buy and Future Shop treat trade in credit as gift cards basically, so they calculate your total with tax and then use your credit towards that. EB/Gamestop will take the credit off before tax, and you'll pay tax on the difference.

Interesting. The only time I ever did a trade was BlOps for free Zelda OoT at BB. I noticed it actually said I should pay $7.99, but I wasn't charged anything, so I'm assuming the trade-in for the game was $38 in general and I would have been left to pay the $1.99 plus $6 tax had it not been a special promotion. I guess that means the only exception to paying tax at BB and FS is when they advertise a trade for free promotion? Maybe they consider it sort of like coupons where normally you pay the full tax unless the coupon is for a free product.

Looking at the EB games list, my sister is definitely be interested in Epic Mickey for $19.99.
Nothing for me from that list though.

Truespeed

I bought Vanquish a couple of days ago in anticipation of this sale. Still sealed, but a price match shouldn't be an issue. Might also pick up Enslaved. Anyone think Tony Hawk ride is a good deal for $10? Also, considering Halo Reach for $19 at BB. I don't have a gold membership, so it Reach still worth buying if you can't play multiplayer?

No_Style

Truespeed said:
I bought Vanquish a couple of days ago in anticipation of this sale. Still sealed, but a price match shouldn't be an issue. Might also pick up Enslaved. Anyone think Tony Hawk ride is a good deal for $10? Also, considering Halo Reach for $19 at BB. I don't have a gold membership, so it Reach still worth buying if you can't play multiplayer?

Do it! I did for $10 before and I'm enjoying it a lot!

And I loved Reach even without spending much of the MP. Best Halo game in my books.

Spike

Truespeed said:

Actually, Vanquish isn't on sale. :(

The flyer was posted over at RFD and it isn't in there. As well, a known EB manager/employee has confirmed that it isn't on sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any deals on Child of Eden or Michael Jackson Kinect? Lowest I've seen both is $49 for CoE and $37 for MJ Kinect on Amazon, $39 at retail at a few places.

Spike

Stumpokapow said:
Any deals on Child of Eden or Michael Jackson Kinect? Lowest I've seen both is $49 for CoE and $37 for MJ Kinect on Amazon, $39 at retail at a few places.

Michael Jackson Kinect is $25 in that EB flyer.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I ask for a Michael Jackson deal, five seconds later a Michael Jackson deal is posted in this very thread. Who could complain about that? Thanks Spike!

Spike

dream said:
I don't see Yakuza 4. :(

Basically, if it is not in the flyer, it isn't happening.

That said, there have been some hints dropped that they might be starting the door crashers near the end of the month, and some of these may appear then.

Truespeed

Spike said:
Actually, Vanquish isn't on sale. :(

The flyer was posted over at RFD and it isn't in there. As well, a known EB manager/employee has confirmed that it isn't on sale.

Damn, that sucks. It may be one of their door crasher deals perhaps.

edit: there may be hope for Vanquish after all.

ZC said:
Some of the price drops in OP are from EB's special MIK (separate from the usual promotions), not the flyer. They aren't openly advertised but are scheduled to drop to the prices mentioned.

Truespeed

No_Style said:
Do it! I did for $10 before and I'm enjoying it a lot!

And I loved Reach even without spending much of the MP. Best Halo game in my books.

Which version did you get? I'm leading towards the 360 version since it's an UE3 game.

Spike

mentalfloss said:
Has anyone here actually played nhl slapshot?

I'm really curious to see how well the motion controls play.

I have it, but I only play it standard and not with the hockey stick addon. I like it fine, but it is more arcade-y than sim.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spike said:
Basically, if it is not in the flyer, it isn't happening.

That said, there have been some hints dropped that they might be starting the door crashers near the end of the month, and some of these may appear then.
Near the end of the month? The flyer states they start this Friday.

mentalfloss said:
Has anyone here actually played nhl slapshot?

I'm really curious to see how well the motion controls play.
Played it at PAX, REALLY enjoyed it, especially if you can play it multiplayer.

It's not NHL 11, think of it as the Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98. :p

oatmeal

Banned
I just want Zelda OoT in Calgary.

Fucking Nintendo...way to brutally undership the game. And then not ship more more than a week after release.

BOO!

ryan-ts

The guy on RFD said that even though it wasn't in the flyer, Yakuza 4 would be on sale. If you're going to be picking something else up at EB you might as well check out Yakuza 4 anyway.

Spike

Fuzzy said:
Which start this Friday, not the end of the month like Spike implied.

Let me clarify. The manager at my local EB said that they would be having their annual daily door crashers near the end of July into August. They have done this for the past couple of years.

If there is some happening from this Friday, he didn't say. I'll try to clarify tomorrow.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spike said:
Let me clarify. The manager at my local EB said that they would be having their annual daily door crashers near the end of July into August. They have done this for the past couple of years.

If there is some happening from this Friday, he didn't say. I'll try to clarify tomorrow.
What's to clarify? It's in the flyer you posted.

NmssL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom