• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Picked up Michael Jackson at EB for girlfriend's birthday, saw a copy of Mindjack for $25, said "hmmm... can't be that bad, could it?" Bought it, came home, got on Amazon.ca, saw Mindjack for $8 from a third party seller ($13 with shipping). Will return Mindjack to EB tomorrow, I guess.

Also noticed that Duke Nukem Forever is $40 new and is also a "most wanted game" so it's minimum $35 trade-in until the end of the month. If anyone wanted a $5 month-long rental, that'd be a pretty good racket.

Draff said:
I haven't even seen a copy of 999 in Canada yet.

XSeed/Aksys have really poor distribution in Canada and often sells for a $5 premium (or if publishers are straddled between two exchange rate conversions, XSeed/Aksys's games are always the inferior ones). Noticed that all generation long.

Vanquish was sold out. But I did manage to get Crackdown 2, which might not be a good thing depending on how you look at it, and Yakuza 4.

Stumpokapow said:
XSeed/Aksys have really poor distribution in Canada and often sells for a $5 premium (or if publishers are straddled between two exchange rate conversions, XSeed/Aksys's games are always the inferior ones). Noticed that all generation long.
I wouldn't mind it too much if only they would let me buy stuff from their website.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lostconfused said:
Vanquish was sold out. But I did manage to get Crackdown 2, which might not be a good thing depending on how you look at it, and Yakuza 4.

I actually liked Crackdown 2 a lot. I got it for cheap, maybe $10 or $15, and looked at as "I'm playing this instead of replaying Crackdown" rather than "ooh a new game with a whole new world". I'd say I didn't like the campaign as much, but some of the new ideas were good and it was certainly worth a playthrough. I did end up getting all the agility orbs, which was a fun challenge!

Draff said:
Independently owned stores are your best bet. I've actually seen more copies of it recently than I'd ever had, as I think the mom & pops that are in the know are actually ordering some copies now due to the strong word of mouth.

It makes it a lot easier to recommend it to people that way too. :)

kliklik

Banned
A nice csr at EB put Vanquish and Enslaved aside for me till the end of the day. I waltzed in and bought em.

Then I brought my receipt for SotD back to BB and PM'd their sister store FS price and got $25 dollars back. Busy day!

Draff said:

I'm still looking for that game. I think i'll have to ebay it. So much for trying to pay the devs.

canadian crowe said:
Has anybody price Matched at wal mart? Do I need a paper copy of the ad, or can I use a digital copy?

Digital printed out should be ok, since they can always look it up online if they want to. But what game are you getting? If you can find stock in BB or FS, it's better to PM there cuz they do +10% of the difference and their csrs don't know math so they often end up giving you even more than that.

Takao said:
Gah, I want Vanquish but I don't got an ID on me.

They didn't card me.

Stumpokapow said:
I actually liked Crackdown 2 a lot. I got it for cheap, maybe $10 or $15, and looked at as "I'm playing this instead of replaying Crackdown" rather than "ooh a new game with a whole new world". I'd say I didn't like the campaign as much, but some of the new ideas were good and it was certainly worth a playthrough. I did end up getting all the agility orbs, which was a fun challenge!
Oh I am quiet well aware of what I am getting into since I did rent the game and played it for a few hours. I think my main complaint is that the game lost some of it's flavor in 2. No more variety in gangs, no more leader strongholds and assassinations, and no variety in agents.

kliklik said:
Digital printed out should be ok, since they can always look it up online if they want to. But what game are you getting? If you can find stock in BB or FS, it's better to PM there cuz they do +10% of the difference and their csrs don't know math so they often end up giving you even more than that.

Thanks. I was looking into getting Duke Nukem and Alice. They are on sale at Best Buy and Future Shop respectively. I would go there, but I have Wal Mart Gift Cards.

Atlantic

Got Vanquish and Enslaved (both 360, Toronto beaches GS) for a little over $20.

Asked about Vanquish for PS3 but they were sold out, so went with 360. They seemed to have quite a few.

Also, and I know it's only $15, but is Lost Planet 2 worth the effort? Really just looking for a couch co-op for when friends stop by. I liked the first but the haboob of shit that covered the launch of 2 really put me off.

kliklik

Banned
canadian crowe said:
Thanks. I was looking into getting Duke Nukem and Alice. They are on sale at Best Buy and Future Shop respectively. I would go there, but I have Wal Mart Gift Cards.

Ya I saw that Alice sale. Extremely tempting, but I'm swimming in games. I have to finish the ones I have before I get any more.

...I won't say anything about DNF =P

Atlantic said:
Also, and I know it's only $15, but is Lost Planet 2 worth the effort? Really just looking for a couch co-op for when friends stop by. I liked the first but the haboob of shit that covered the launch of 2 really put me off.

I haven't played the game, but there are cheaper coop games on xbla and psn that are probably more enjoyable... and psn is having a big sale starting soon on a bunch of them.

Atlantic said:

Definitely not, at least for me. I bought it for 20 not too long ago, and I couldn't even bear to finish the second chapter of the campaign. There are far better co-op games out there than for you to torture yourself (and your friends) with Lost Planet 2.

Anyway, I went to my EB early this morning and managed to grab a 360 version of Vanquish. Normally I would not have accepted a gutted copy, but since that's all they have left, I simply couldn't pass it. I was tempted to get MoH again with that price, but then I fear the online community has probably dissolved after all these months, so I didn't bother.

Ondore

So can someone stop me from buying Other M tomorrow @ EB? $10 for a game I got $35 TIV for back in February is awfully tempting.

dream

Grabbed Yakuza 4 but, uh...when they say "5127MB Required"...is there any chance they don't really mean "required" at all? :(

Takao

Banned
kliklik said:
They didn't card me.

It's okay anyways. I called up a bunch of my nearest locations, and they didn't have a copy for either platform. :(

Did pick up Enslaved, and am hoping to score a PS3 copy of TDU2 tomorrow alongside Other M.

squall23

dream said:
Grabbed Yakuza 4 but, uh...when they say "5127MB Required"...is there any chance they don't really mean "required" at all? :(
Nope. "Required" in this case actually means "Mandatory".

frequency

survivor said:
Just did today :)

What's the consensus on the game? Better than Yakuza3?
I enjoyed it more than Yakuza 3. The story is stronger. Playing as the other characters was refreshing. I particularly liked Tanimura's play style. And Akiyama is a great character.

I think consensus is that it's better, but Yakuza 3 is probably the weakest in the mainline series so...

dream

frequency said:
I enjoyed it more than Yakuza 3. The story is stronger. Playing as the other characters was refreshing. I particularly liked Tanimura's play style. And Akiyama is a great character.

I think consensus is that it's better, but Yakuza 3 is probably the weakest in the mainline series so...

Do I need to have played Yakuza 3 to understand Yakuza 4? I've played the PS2 installments...

dream

I'll be honest. I'm so out of touch with gaming that I didn't even know Yakuza 3 existed until I saw you guys talking about the $30 Yakuza 4.

survivor

Banned
frequency said:

That's good for me then. I loved Yakuza 3. Good story, enjoyable characters, and overall entertaining combat system. I had few issues with the side quests, especially some of the kids ones, but they weren't that big of a deal. Also playing with extra characters sounds like a killer feature.

Solune said:
And your ps3 isn't even working. I commend you good sir.
I recently got about 5 games in the past couple of weeks from various sales. Do you know how painful it is to stare at those games and not be able to play them :( I wouldn't wish this on my most hated enemy.

Thankfully, all the apartment cleaning and renovation is done. So now I will finally have time to salvage my save files from my old PS3 and get to buying a new one.

isny

napkin dispenser
So can anyone confirm? Can I trade in the PS2, etc. games I have worth only a few cents and get $5 each if I trade in 10+?

kliklik

Banned
isny said:
So can anyone confirm? Can I trade in the PS2, etc. games I have worth only a few cents and get $5 each if I trade in 10+?

Fine print says "valid on PS3, Wii, 3DS, Nintendo DS, and Xbox 360 games. Applies to titles with a minimum $5 trade value only."

darkvir

Grabbed Halo Reach yesterday, will probably grab Kane & Lynch 2 tomorrow from EB. Btw, thanks Stumpokapow for the MindJack info, I just grabbed it from amazon as well. Totally forgot about that game, but for that price, why not.

Truespeed

Lord Sugar would be proud.

EB Games:
Vanquish PS3 $9.99

Best Buy:
Enslaved PS3 $8.99 (for the Best Buy bonus DLC)
Tony Hawk Ride $7.99 (for the lulz)
Halo Reach $19

Future Shop:
2 copies of Uncharted 2 for $4.99 each

Reich

Grabbed Bioshock 2 (10$), Fallout 3 GOTY (20$), Vanquish (10$), Batman GOTY (20$) and AC Brotherhood (20$).

Gonna play all the weekend.

Zozobra

Is there anywhere in Canada, more specifically in the Vancouver area, that you can buy Tournament Edition Fightsticks anymore?

snack

Zozobra said:
Is there anywhere in Canada, more specifically in the Vancouver area, that you can buy Tournament Edition Fightsticks anymore?
NCIX sold them a while back. Not sure if they still do.

RS4-

Zozobra said:

I don't know if these guys still sell sticks, last time I checked they were quite pricey: http://heroes-world.com/

Have you checked online forums and sellers like RFD, Kijiji and such?

Anyone know a place that has a good price for an LG W2442PA-BF lcd monitor? I missed out with Memoryexpress had it for sale @ $160 a few days ago, locally I've been able to find it around $184. Was hoping to pay less than that.

Picked up a shrink-wrapped Other:M for 9.99. Good times. No way it will be worth so little to eb in 6 months, but regardless it's a great buy for 10 bucks.

Truespeed said:

EB Games:
Vanquish PS3 $9.99

Best Buy:
Halo Reach $19

Future Shop:
What??? When was this deal??

kliklik

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Picked up a shrink-wrapped Other:M for 9.99. Good times. No way it will be worth so little to eb in 6 months, but regardless it's a great buy for 10 bucks.

Do you mean you think its TIV will go up? It will never be above $8 again.

kliklik

Banned
Takao said:
Is $30 for GTA IV Complete Edition decent? I'm slightly tempted, but not too sure if I should bite.

I got it for $20 on Amazon a while back.

The fact is, you're getting a LOT of content, regardless of whether you pay $20 or $30. So you're getting a great deal either way. Consider whether a $10 difference is enough to make you put off experiencing it and wait for a price drop again.

Takao

Banned
MetalFearSolid said:
It is..but I would expect a price drop to $19.99 very soon or a general sale

Yeah, I'm really expecting a $20 price at Wal-Mart or something. Guess I'll hold out on that. Gonna pick up Other M, and skip TDU 2.

I might pick up Wii Music for $7 at The Source if it still qualifies for Club Nintendo points, haha.

kliklik said:
The fact is, you're getting a LOT of content, regardless of whether you pay $20 or $30. So you're getting a great deal either way. Consider whether a $10 difference is enough to make you put off experiencing it and wait for a price drop again.

I've already played through GTA IV, just no longer have a copy, and never played the DLC.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Truespeed said:

EB Games:
Vanquish PS3 $9.99

Best Buy:
Halo Reach $19

Future Shop:

Halo Reach is 20 bucks? Website says 40...

kliklik

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
A nintendo game at $8 is vaguely plausible, but in 2 years I have doubts. Anyway, I buy to play.

It's already at $3 and MP3 has a higher tiv. So ya, you better just buy to play. =P

Takao said:
Y
I've already played through GTA IV, just no longer have a copy, and never played the DLC.

Doesn't the DLC sell for $15 apiece (aka $30 total) anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom