• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming "Deals" and Discussion Thread 6: Sorry, We Can't Afford a New Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has every pre-order game been a mess on Amazon Canada or is it primarily MGS V? The disconnect is interesting. Both Amazon US and Canada outsource customer service help to places like India, the Philippines etc. And yet I've never had an issue with Amazon US reps understanding the issue.

The only thing clear after reading this thread and the last thread, is that nobody has figured out how to get consistent release delivery. Paid v free v prime, seems so random according to the posts in here (assuming everyone's is being truthful).

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Kind of a pathetic deal but you guys might want to know Superstore has MGSV at $69.99.

I bought another copy there today and returned my Best Buy copy which was $74.99 (same price everywhere even amazon.ca).

Reveirg

The only thing clear after reading this thread and the last thread, is that nobody has figured out how to get consistent release delivery. Paid v free v prime, seems so random according to the posts in here (assuming everyone's is being truthful).

I've had a lot of issues in the past with amazon.ca orders where a new game would ship days after the release date.

This year, I ordered 20 games with the E3 deal and chose Free shipping. I don't have prime.

I spoke to a CS rep through chat and politely explained that amazon.ca always seems to stall and never ships new games in time.

He upgraded my 20 games to priority shipping. So far, the first 4 I got were delivered on release day.

Maybe it's just luck? But so far I'm quite happy ^^

Well this is a 'deal' or price discussion with wonderful shipping anecdotal. But I was at Fan Expo today. At the EB Games booth I thought it was CRAZY how many people were buying MGSV PP and other games at $74.99 or $79.99.

I'm actually curious to see the data behind the low dollar and price increase in video games and how much it's affecting gamers buying habits here.

Also this is the first con I've been to where our sinking dollar is affecting prices from the vendors. I usually buy manga at cons since they don't charge tax and they usually offer stuff like 'buy 5 get 1 free' deals. Some places upmark stuff but as usual you gotta look around in the con and online and see your options for prices. This is the first time I've seen so many things upmarked significantly to the point where I was flat out turned off by how much higher stuff was. I was looking to get the rest of Shokugeki no Soma, but I guess that ain't happening.

UberTag

Well this is a 'deal' or price discussion with wonderful shipping anecdotal. But I was at Fan Expo today. At the EB Games booth I thought it was CRAZY how many people were buying MGSV PP and other games at $74.99 or $79.99.
Lots of dumb folks out there still clueless about pre-ordering games from Amazon and elsewhere during E3. I paid $48.99 for my copy of Phantom Pain. Plenty of people here paid even less.
Also this is the first con I've been to where our sinking dollar is affecting prices from the vendors. I usually buy manga at cons since they don't charge tax and they usually offer stuff like 'buy 5 get 1 free' deals. Some places upmark stuff but as usual you gotta look around in the con and online and see your options for prices. This is the first time I've seen so many things upmarked significantly to the point where I was flat out turned off by how much higher stuff was. I was looking to get the rest of Shokugeki no Soma, but I guess that ain't happening.
Wait until the dealers mark everything down on Sunday. Hopefully you can score some bargains then as I suspect they're not going to move as much product this weekend as they have in years past.

BTails

Amazon just emailed me the code for MGS :)

Same here. Redeemed alright, though there seems to be no Metal Gear Online stuff in the pack (Where's my Metal Gear Rex mask?)... Hopefully that'll all unlock when MGO launches!

Speaking of which, we should get some Canada-GAF MGO matches going once that launches!!

jred2k

Anyone else doing Force Friday tomorrow?

Wal Mart opens at 7am and Toys R Us at 9am. I can go to both easily.

I want to get all 5 6" Black Series figures and some of the 2 pack 3.75" figures (Vader/Asoka and Chopper/Zeb).

My TRU isn't opening at midnight tonight but if yours is they are giving away posters.
I just got home from the midnight opening in Ottawa. It was pretty underwhelming. The entire display took up one small aisle and felt really disorganized. Different sets were all over the place and there were things on skids that should have been on shelves. At least I got a free poster out of it.

I've had a lot of issues in the past with amazon.ca orders where a new game would ship days after the release date.

This year, I ordered 20 games with the E3 deal and chose Free shipping. I don't have prime.

I spoke to a CS rep through chat and politely explained that amazon.ca always seems to stall and never ships new games in time.

He upgraded my 20 games to priority shipping. So far, the first 4 I got were delivered on release day.

Maybe it's just luck? But so far I'm quite happy ^^

It's not luck. The exact same scenario played out for me. Priority shipping seems golden.

Maximus.

I'm actually curious to see the data behind the low dollar and price increase in video games and how much it's affecting gamers buying habits here.

To be fair, a lot of people (subjectively speaking) are not aware of the E3 deal. No one else I know preorders games en mass. When I mention the sale, people listen, but do not care at all. It surprises me, but if people want a game they will just buy it. Obviously, there is are a lot of other people who do wait for deals.

UberTag

The other argument that hasn't been raised is that, for some people, price simply isn't an issue. If they want something, they get it. Whether a game costs $50 or $100. If you don't have a sense of the value of a dollar, seeking out sensible ways to get a game at a bargain price isn't a priority.

ohlawd

To be fair, a lot of people (subjectively speaking) are not aware of the E3 deal. No one else I know preorders games en mass. When I mention the sale, people listen, but do not care at all. It surprises me, but if people want a game they will just buy it. Obviously, there is are a lot of other people who do wait for deals.

None of my friends give a shit because they claim they don't buy enough games. really bizarre when 2-3 games is enough for the deal to kick in and they usually buy 3-6 games a year to start with. I ask them how they feel about paying $80 as opposed to $60 just a few years ago. nope, still the same reason. "I only buy a few games. $20 isn't that big a deal" one of them told me, "you care about the price increase because you buy too many games" fuck, what do I say to that? lol. they're right tho

they wait for deals which is good. but sometimes they buy something that's been discounted for $10 when they could have bought the same game months ago during E3 and save $20-30

frequency

Has every pre-order game been a mess on Amazon Canada or is it primarily MGS V? The disconnect is interesting. Both Amazon US and Canada outsource customer service help to places like India, the Philippines etc. And yet I've never had an issue with Amazon US reps understanding the issue.

I'm still waiting for Danganronpa Another Episode to ship. That released and has been in stock since Tuesday and it's still not even preparing for shipping yet. No charge or anything. No signs of it shipping any time soon.

So it's not just MGSV.

killroy87

I'm still waiting for Danganronpa Another Episode to ship. That released and has been in stock since Tuesday and it's still not even preparing for shipping yet. No charge or anything. No signs of it shipping any time soon.

So it's not just MGSV.

It's random. For me everything (including mgs) except Mad Max has been fine.

The other day I was at a local mall and saw a guy purchase a new X1 MC collection bundle at full price, and wondered why the hell he would buy it now. Deals on those are only a few months away :/

So it's not just MGSV.

Mine's the same way, but it says (at least on my order page) that it's estimated ship day is today. So who knows? Maybe we'll both get..."lucky".

As lucky as a four day delay is I guess.

FrsDvl

I must say Amazon has been pretty good this year, so far anyways. MGS V came on release, Tearaway is preparing for shipment, so that should come in time to. Hope they can keep this up!

i-Jest

I am starting to wonder if that Xenoblade X special edition is U.S. only as well.

Ugh. I hope CEs not coming to Canada doesn't become a thing because of the exchange rate and retailers not wanting to stock them.

Luckily I have a border store in the USA that is only 45 minutes away.

I have the Uncharted 4 and Xenoblade CE/SEs preordered with Amazon USA shipping there currently in case. Uncharted 4 is already confirmed not coming to Canada.

UGH, face palm. Not like this...just not like this Nintendo. I wonder if it'll be offered on Nintendo's online store at some point?

Sealtest

Well we havn't heard anything about xenoblades skipping Canada and BBYJuby said details are still being worked on so I wouldn't be to worried yet.

Chatin

So it's not just MGSV.
i bothered them about Danganronpa, yesterday, and they updated my order to ship items as they become available rather than group. I've had their shipping work fine with that option before, but customer service seems to think it will make a difference. Have to say that seeing on the order page that you could get the game by Monday but having an unshipped copy scheduled for a couple weeks away didn't have me very satisfied.

Eternia

128GB USB 3.0 Stick for $39.99!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../10363833.aspx?fullsite=true&CMP=RZ-rz-150903

Great deal, IMO. I'm going to save videos and songs on it for PS4 media player.
I bought a Lexar USB 3.0 stick (S23) and I have to say, it's one of the most cheaply made sticks I've ever seen. The body is just really thin plastic that you would expect to find in dollar store toys and the connector end is plastic too. It hasn't broke yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it does any day now.

Any outstanding deal on decent printers? I have no idea what to look for, but I'm really tired of going to my university's printing room so I'm about to pull the trigger on a cheap one.

I'm about to buy that one. Good idea or should I avoid it for some reason / is there a better deal somewhere?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=8724146831f7d5215c0275c9129c0932en02
The DCP-L2520DW popped up (today?) for $80. Looks similar to the 2540DW I bought recently for around $85 on Amazon where the main difference seems to be the automatic document feeder. Mine was pretty simple to setup through wifi to my network with no issues so far.

Tuck

I must say Amazon has been pretty good this year, so far anyways. MGS V came on release, Tearaway is preparing for shipment, so that should come in time to. Hope they can keep this up!

I bought Tearaway too, cause of the E3 deal. But realistically I won't touch it for a couple months as I need to work my way through MGS5 and the second half of Batman Arkham Knight.

Kind of wish it released a month from now =/

Oh well, after the E3 deal and the fact that Amazon dropped the price an extra 10% and the fact that the game was priced lower to begin with, I'm getting a very good deal.

killroy87

I bought Tearaway too, cause of the E3 deal. But realistically I won't touch it for a couple months as I need to work my way through MGS5 and the second half of Batman Arkham Knight.

Kind of wish it released a month from now =/

Oh well, after the E3 deal and the fact that Amazon dropped the price an extra 10% and the fact that the game was priced lower to begin with, I'm getting a very good deal.

Yeah, I had tearaway pre ordered as well, but I cancelled it. Even as I was adding it to my cart I was like (I don't really need or want this right now). I'm totally comfortable waiting for it to be $7 on a PS Plus sale.

Cactus

Banned
I'm (hopefully) near the end of a very pleasant chat with Amazon customer service about Danganronpa.

The first rep was lying through his teeth about stock availability and even changed the shipping estimate of my order while we were chatting. When I called him out, he immediately transferred me to a manager.

EDIT: LOL, the manager is just regurgitating everything the first guy told me. I asked her why I've had three different shipping estimates since I started the chat and she hasn't responded for 5 minutes.

Housh

Amazon was terrible to me this year but after fighting over my MGSV order from June. 17th with Amazon Prime Student...I'll be getting it September 14-15th for $3.90.

Next year I'm going with Bestbuy.ca for the E3 discount.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
3 days ago, the Amazon CS rep assured me my MGSV would definitely ship either yesterday or today. The day is almost over, and still no shipping notice... This is getting ridiculous.

khaaan

I'm (hopefully) near the end of a very pleasant chat with Amazon customer service about Danganronpa.

The first rep was lying through his teeth about stock availability and even changed the shipping estimate of my order while we were chatting. When I called him out, he immediately transferred me to a manager.

EDIT: LOL, the manager is just regurgitating everything the first guy told me. I asked her why I've had three different shipping estimates since I started the chat and she hasn't responded for 5 minutes.

Usually I don't care about shipping talk but this seems pretty entertaining.

Edit:

Entertaining from my perspective, would be infuriating if it was actually happening to me though. Hope it works out for you.

ohlawd

Amazon was terrible to me this year but after fighting over my MGSV order from June. 17th with Amazon Prime Student...I'll be getting it September 14-15th for $3.90.

Next year I'm going with Bestbuy.ca for the E3 discount.

but 20% vs 30%

None of my friends give a shit because they claim they don't buy enough games. really bizarre when 2-3 games is enough for the deal to kick in and they usually buy 3-6 games a year to start with. I ask them how they feel about paying $80 as opposed to $60 just a few years ago. nope, still the same reason. "I only buy a few games. $20 isn't that big a deal" one of them told me, "you care about the price increase because you buy too many games" fuck, what do I say to that? lol. they're right tho

they wait for deals which is good. but sometimes they buy something that's been discounted for $10 when they could have bought the same game months ago during E3 and save $20-30

My guess is they're like some of my friends: buying games is either "oh man I didn't know Grand Theft Auto V was coming I've been waiting for that game for FOREVER" or straight-up impulse decision. Basically, they don't follow games that much so they don't know what's coming out until just before, and once they commit to buying a game price doesn't matter that much to them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
but 20% vs 30%

The impatience is real.

Anyone here who grabbed Persona Q yesterday and would be interested in selling the tarot cards?

EDIT: I never realized that ohlawd had a Chrono Trigger-related tag, that is so awesome.

Vinc

Both are honestly pretty great, but Amazon has top notch customer service. I'm still going with them next year if the deals are still on.

Oneself

Just in case shipping GAF is interested: I got a mail from amazon at around 8am this morning confirming they have shipped Tearaway PS4.

Vamphuntr

From my own personal experience they always were hit and miss (with games) and they usually have more issues with niche games. It's just annoying that people were warned several times in the thread about this during the e3 deals and now we have pages and pages of whining about shipping from Amazon.ca.

Pretty sure that both the .ca and .com are run separately and the .com has a much bigger customer pool and face stronger competition.

I've been pretty happy so far with a gaming PC for the current dollar slump. With humble bundle and deals I have a huge backlog and also get new games with a nice discount. Got MGSV for like 48$ CDN. The Bioshock Infinite deal for a dollar was great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom