• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Hey ya'll.

I'm thinking about getting a 4k tv but I'm a little lost. What's the best brand/model to get here in Canada? Some TVs are hugely expensive while others are only in the $500 range and it's a bit confusing.

My stipulations are I want something with HDR, something suitable for gaming (low input lag), and I only want about a 40 inch display.
I don't think they make 4K TVs less than 50" or maybe 46". And for cheapest while still good I'd say Vizio P Serie or the Sony 830C, but I don't know the input lag on those. Honestly, both 4K and HDR are in their very very early generations, there's always bound to be some imperfections here and there, such as HDR having input lag on most TVs.
The clerk's reasoning was that I would not get the full $225 for the console if I put it toward a pre-order - apparently that only works if you are buying a console the same day or something.
What a load of horseshit, you should teach him a lesson by going there and asking him to be present while telling the manager he was lying to you. He's probably just trying to increase his current sales by getting customers to buy right away instead of pre-ordering.

The clerk's reasoning was that I would not get the full $225 for the console if I put it toward a pre-order - apparently that only works if you are buying a console the same day or something.

For anyone curious, I literally traded in my xbox an hour ago for an s preorder and their system automatically applies the promo. Without it an xbox trades in for $165.

Quadratic

I decided to trade in my xbox one at EB from the posts here. Smaller, no power brick and a new controller that I can sync with bluetooth on the PC without the expensive dongle.

I can wait a few weeks.

I placed a pre order on the 500GB model. The website says it comes with download codes for Halo 5 and the MC collection. I already have those. I might get in on a Madden 17 bundle if it's available here. Most likely we'll get a NHL bundle though.

Firehawk12. I called the EB at Sheppard Centre and the clerk there said he can't do the trade in. Called the EB at York Mills and Leslie and they did it for me. Got my business instead.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I called the EB at Sheppard Centre and the clerk there said he can't do the trade in. Called the EB at York Mills and Leslie and they did it for me. Got my business instead.
What a load of horseshit. Either management fucked up and didn't tell them or they're doing it on purpose.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder if the stores doing it don't know that they shouldn't, or if the stores who won't do it have no idea what they're doing. lol

I don't think they make 4K TVs less than 50" or maybe 46". And for cheapest while still good I'd say Vizio P Serie or the Sony 830C, but I don't know the input lag on those. Honestly, both 4K and HDR are in their very very early generations, there's always bound to be some imperfections here and there, such as HDR having input lag on most TVs.

Thanks. I'll need to do some input lag research.

I've heard good things about the visio p series as well. Are they available in canada? I'm having a hard time finding them online.

The ebgames I go to has employees that know less about the promos than I do. The trade 3 deal that lets you trade 3 for $70, but it is a tiered promotion (meaning if you trade 1, the system gives you $23.33)? They told me I had to trade 3. So I called them on it. "What does "can be a tiered promotion" mean then?" They had to call another store to tell them they were wrong. I think stores like this just have bad management that doesn't educate the employees about the promos.

Xenoflare

The ebgames I go to has employees that know less about the promos than I do. The trade 3 deal that lets you trade 3 for $70, but it is a tiered promotion (meaning if you trade 1, the system gives you $23.33)? They told me I had to trade 3. So I called them on it. "What does "can be a tiered promotion" mean then?" They had to call another store to tell them they were wrong. I think stores like this just have bad management that doesn't educate the employees about the promos.

Jesus

Thanks. I'll need to do some input lag research.

I've heard good things about the visio p series as well. Are they available in canada? I'm having a hard time finding them online.
Costco carries most of the vizio products from what I have seen. The P series comes in 50/55/65/75" versions starting at $1500.
M I think is 50/55/70/80" starting at $1200. I have a 2015 M series 43" which I like a lot but it looks like they don't come that small anymore. They do have an E series 43" but it wouldn't have HDR
http://www.costco.ca/Vizio-E43u-D2-...D-Home-Theater-Display.product.100299693.html

Costco carries most of the vizio products from what I have seen. The P series comes in 50/55/65/75" versions starting at $1500.
M I think is 50/55/70/80" starting at $1200. I have a 2015 M series 43" which I like a lot but it looks like they don't come that small anymore. They do have an E series 43" but it wouldn't have HDR
http://www.costco.ca/Vizio-E43u-D2-...D-Home-Theater-Display.product.100299693.html

I found a 40 inch vizio D series on amazon, as well.

Link

Looked up the input lag and it's very low in gaming mode, apparently.

Downsides are no HDR + only one of the hdmi inputs does 4k at 60hz, the others are 4k/30hz.

RaidenXZ

Hey guys, I know its the wrong thread but I was wondering if my fellow Canadians can help. So my screen on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge just cracked (a stapler fell on it at work and it cracked. Was hit by the corner of the stapler) and I'm looking to have it fixed. Are their any good deals out there (preferably from some sort of officially certified Samsung repair shop like Fonelab or CPR)? Cause its looking like this screen is gonna cost more than $500 to replace according with Bell :(

Rbk_3

They're wrong. Do you have another EB you can go to? Or go later when someone else is working.

What a load of horseshit, you should teach him a lesson by going there and asking him to be present while telling the manager he was lying to you. He's probably just trying to increase his current sales by getting customers to buy right away instead of pre-ordering.

The P series is 17ms on HDMI 5 in game mode, 30 in game mode on ports 1-4.

Not quite gaming-related, but i'm coss-posting this from the laptop thread regardless:

Not much to go on but I'd probably think twice. Mostly because of the "manufacturer refurbished" bit and the comment at the bottom of that page. That's not to say that I definitely wouldn't buy it or anything, but honestly I feel like you can easily get away with a 1TB drive and have more options that are not that much worse in cost per MB and better quality.

CazTGG

Not much to go on but I'd probably think twice. Mostly because of the "manufacturer refurbished" bit and the comment at the bottom of that page. That's not to say that I definitely wouldn't buy it or anything, but honestly I feel like you can easily get away with a 1TB drive and have more options that are not that much worse in cost per MB and better quality.

Yeah, sounds like it's a miss for me assuming it's true. I think i'll wait and see if the Mushkin 4TB SSD comes out a reasonable price instead (supposedly it'll be $500 US but i'm skeptical as to whether they can keep costs down to afford launching it at that price)

FrsDvl

Does anyone know if it is possible to get someone else (girlfriend) to deposit a pay cheque into my account if she has my debit card?

Lexxism

Does anyone know if it is possible to get someone else (girlfriend) to deposit a pay cheque into my account if she has my debit card?
If she knows your pin, you can ask her to deposit the cheque on the ABM. OR you can deposit the cheque via the bank's app. Way easier and less hassle.

Hey guys, I know its the wrong thread but I was wondering if my fellow Canadians can help. So my screen on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge just cracked (a stapler fell on it at work and it cracked. Was hit by the corner of the stapler) and I'm looking to have it fixed. Are their any good deals out there (preferably from some sort of officially certified Samsung repair shop like Fonelab or CPR)? Cause its looking like this screen is gonna cost more than $500 to replace according with Bell :(

What city? In GTA (particularly downtown and markham) there is alot of indie shops to fix phones.

SickBoy

From what I've heard/seen, their "new" computers generally apply promos reliably and automatically.

There was (is?) that bonus deal where you could get some percentage of extra credit toward preorders or new releases... I went in and asked about it and the guy's response was basically *shrug*. But when he went to actually process my trade-in, the bonus was applied automatically.

If I didn't have a store that was able to confirm, I would still go in. It seems to me there is a stage before they actually complete your preorder in the system where it shows an accurate reflection of your trade-in value plus whatever promos you're getting.

Not quite gaming-related, but i'm coss-posting this from the laptop thread regardless:

Historically, they had problems. Back when OCZ was independent they used their own SSD chipset that was capable of industry leading performance but also had a bad habit of corrupting the data table. I still have OCZ Agility/Vertex drives that will just suddenly go missing to the OS.

However in the years since, Toshiba bought the OCZ SSD division "OCZ Storage Technologies" (and I think the rest of OCZ went bankrupt?) and now uses it as a label for their own SSD products, so I don't even think they use that chipset line anymore. Reliability is supposed to be just fine. What is the product name of the drive you're looking at?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Doom's on sale at Best Buy! ...for $55. Meh. Anyone willing to sell it to me used for $40 or less?

Kyolux

So did anyone get a shipping update for any games on Amazon? My Final Fantasy XV has moved to October 7 - 15. Uhhhh ok?

I did yesterday, saying it was getting release date delivery.

That's my friend's copy though. Mine is from Future shop. Hope it gets there day 1 too. Otherwise I'll probably tell him it's mine that came in first. XD

He'll be busy with his classes anyway, and I have vacations set up for the following week just for this.

edit: I'm also a bit sad that I'm paying more than he his. Should have kept that extra amazon copy after all..

oh well, it's just a few bucks.

CazTGG

Historically, they had problems. Back when OCZ was independent they used their own SSD chipset that was capable of industry leading performance but also had a bad habit of corrupting the data table. I still have OCZ Agility/Vertex drives that will just suddenly go missing to the OS.

However in the years since, Toshiba bought the OCZ SSD division "OCZ Storage Technologies" (and I think the rest of OCZ went bankrupt?) and now uses it as a label for their own SSD products, so I don't even think they use that chipset line anymore. Reliability is supposed to be just fine. What is the product name of the drive you're looking at?

Seems to be a part of the Intrepid series, the Intrepid 3700 specifically.

etta

my hard graphic balls

BadWolf

Hmmmmmm, I got to Chapter 19 on PS4, and heard the last third of the game is a grindy shitfest.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's not a grind fest.

You just need to do side ops (about 7 or so in total) to trigger the story missions (just like in Peace Walker).

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's not a grind fest.

You just need to do side ops (about 7 or so in total) to trigger the story missions (just like in Peace Walker).

Yea but there's all that waiting for the base shit to build and it has to be done in-game time, I remember on PS4 I got pretty pissed about some of that stuff. Hmmmm, what to do what to do. Says here sale is until August 18, but I assume it's also until stock runs out?
Maybe I'll wait a few days and see if there's still stock, I'll get it. If not I'm sure it will be like $15 on Black Friday.

I feel that I should play MGS V again. I got it for free.

I started it when I borrowed it from the library near launch, but the opening was so silly and I found the beginning of the open world stuff to be overwhelming and uninteresting. I'd been planning to go back, but just haven't had the energy or interest.

I loved Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Snake Eater. The first and third the most. But I only played part of 4, and didn't get into Ground Zeroes. Somehow, my interest in the series has dissipated, or my depression has zapped it.

Kyolux

Yea but there's all that waiting for the base shit to build and it has to be done in-game time, I remember on PS4 I got pretty pissed about some of that stuff. Hmmmm, what to do what to do. Says here sale is until August 18, but I assume it's also until stock runs out?
Maybe I'll wait a few days and see if there's still stock, I'll get it. If not I'm sure it will be like $15 on Black Friday.

The base stuff, you just do while playing the game mostly. Not really need to do much more than that unless you want to unlock everything. And I played again last week, and it seems like they give you a whole lot of in-game cash really fast now. There's that whole online cash or something I didn't really understood but made whole use of.

Shipping talk:

UPS, please. Received a notice at my PO Box from UPS yesterday (July 28) of a package for pickup that says they couldn't deliver my package on July 19 and that it would be returned to sender on July 26. The notice actually arrive after the package was sent back. OTL

Amazon.com is sending a replacement, but I hope they get it right. I ordered the watch editions of ZTD and the order lists the version without it. They assured me I'll get the items I ordered, but I have doubts.

Ondore

If you need it, Week of Jul 29 - Aug 4 Round-up is available for your viewing pleasure - http://gamedealscanada.com/deals

Looks like Return to Popolocrois is matching its eShop price: http://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games/detail/return-to-popolocrois-a-story-of-seasons-fairytale-3ds

/bought it for that price on sale
//isn't bitter

Also, my Amazon Pokemon Sun/Moon preorders haven't fixed themselves yet, but I also didn't complain. The Nintendo web store is showing them at $39.99 Canadian - time to send a report in?

Seems to be a part of the Intrepid series, the Intrepid 3700 specifically.

I haven't heard anything negative then. In fact, looks like it's an enterprise level drive so you get ECC even. It's not going to be as blazing fast as a M.2 drive but it's already wayyyy better than a spinning disk drive. In theory should work fine on a laptop

Xenoflare

Didn't revisions typically come with price drops in years past? This sucks :(

I want to get one later this year just for the TV/DVR features, but man that's pricey.

It did, because it's based on the USD and our dollar is trash, 500G regular XB1 is $399 USD and this one is $299, not to mention the crazy fire sales the US is having

Should MS do the unthinkable and start this at $499 USD it would be over $600 for us.

If you think this is bad, think Scorpio and Neo

If Neo is going to coexist with OG PS4 like Andrew House said, then I probably am going to pick up an OG down the road instead.

whitehawk

Banned
It did, because it's based on the USD and our dollar is trash, 500G regular XB1 is $399 USD and this one is $299, not to mention the crazy fire sales the US is having

Should MS do the unthinkable and start this at $499 USD it would be over $600 for us.

If you think this is bad, think Scorpio and Neo

If Neo is going to coexist with OG PS4 like Andrew House said, then I probably am going to pick up an OG down the road instead.
Funny, I bought a PS4 at launch, and it's probably the first time it truly paid off to be an early adopter.

Guess I'll be looking for deals this fall, and maybe use all my optimum points.

Xenoflare

Funny, I bought a PS4 at launch, and it's probably the first time it truly paid off to be an early adopter.

Guess I'll be looking for deals this fall, and maybe use all my optimum points.

I am still mad at this since I always buy the second revision of things which is why I planned to get the One S since day one. While I understand the reason why Sony did that, and literally everything started to follow suit but the hasty adjustment made me really salty.

While the Vita is still $199 because no one gives a shit

Edit: Now I am contemplating whether or not to switch my 2TB order to a 1TB one, while 3 weeks isn't long, but it really sucks that my summer will be over soon and I got nothing new to play

Edit 2: OH, speaking of which, I was just at EB after school today and there were two guys in MS's clothing talking to the clerks, I overheard specifically about pitching the 2TB model to the people looking for the 1TB/500G because of the earlier availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom