• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

The "ultra thick" premium one may not even work if it's anything like the Wii U, which had issues with thick screen protectors rendering the system unplayable, so non-premium might actually be better.

If it's regarding touch capabilities, I think it wouldn't be as much an issue this time.
DS, 3DS, and Wii U all used resistive touch screens, but for the first time Nintendo has switched (not a pun) to a capacitive touch screen like smart phones use.

Lizardus

This stand is pretty sexy for the price (16.99), I think I'll order one.

61Ly9jIq-cL._SL1000_.jpg

the USB-C port is at the bottom, you can't charge it with the kickstand

Hahahaha actually?

I like getting new tech but damn if the Switch isn't one of the most poorly planned console launches alongside the Saturn and Xbox One.

It's like everyday another baffling choice is revealed like that. I understand it charges from the bottom when docked but they should have thought about all modes.

imBask

Banned
Fuck's sake, Nintendo.

Hahahaha actually?

I like getting new tech but damn if the Switch isn't one of the most poorly planned console launches alongside the Saturn and Xbox One.

It's like everyday another baffling choice is revealed like that. I understand it charges from the bottom when docked but they should have thought about all modes.

you should both lookup yesterday's thread about it, apparently it's not a big deal and we should thank Nintendo for it

Luigi87

Well I ordered one of the stands.
Now I just need to see confirmation of a Type-C portable charger functioning okay with the Switch.

you should both lookup yesterday's thread about it, apparently it's not a big deal and we should thank Nintendo for it

Yeah Nintendo apologists are the worst.

I'm getting my Switch and Master Edition day one but I know and can admit to it's shortcomings and major issues. Not to mention the challenges it faces on the industry itself such as third party support.

Ditto every other piece of tech. I got an Xbox One day one because I wanted to play games on it but I still bitched and hated it's poor decisions.

Sinistral

Anyone else get shipping information for Gravity Rush 2 with Amazon yet? Pre-Ordered it with Amazon Prime and it's supposed to come tomorrow but ... nothing shipped. :( Was looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Moltenix

lol you guys...

I was starting to reconsider if I should just maybe grab a Switch closer to launch instead of playing the waiting game. But with all these online uncertainties that have come up, I think waiting is the best bet for now.

Just got my new teksavvy bill today. It says my bandwidth limit is unlimited. But if I sign in to their website, it says 400GB. Which one to believe?

Who am I kidding? I never even come close to using the 400 anyway so it really makes no difference.

Luigi87

Anyone else get shipping information for Gravity Rush 2 with Amazon yet? Pre-Ordered it with Amazon Prime and it's supposed to come tomorrow but ... nothing shipped. :( Was looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Me neither, and, while I am Prime, they also have me at "Priority Shipping" speed due to a change I made in the order before.

What concerns me is while the release date updated, the "shipping date" in my tracking still says "Being shipped soon Expected 2-Dec-16" meaning they didn't update something in their system from after the game was delayed, so I hope it doesn't screw up the shipping.

I'm getting my Switch and Master Edition day one but I know and can admit to it's shortcomings and major issues. Not to mention the challenges it faces on the industry itself such as third party support.

Unless it's an exclusive, who'd want to play a third party game on this? It'll be of lesser quality then on any other system. If given the choice, I'm buying the game for the system that will show it off best. And that's just never going to be the Switch.

Luigi87

I'm interested in the post-launch teardowns of the Switch hardware simply so we can see how their space management and positioning is in the device.

Unless it's an exclusive, who'd want to play a third party game on this? It'll be of lesser quality then on any other system. If given the choice, I'm buying the game for the system that will show it off best. And that's just never going to be the Switch.

Portability sells it for me. If it's a competent port, I'll go with Switch. I have a feeling there won't be many times where I have to choose though...

NeoZylom

I have a question about the Nintendo Switch trade-in deals from EBGames.

Can I preorder random stuff (like 4 sets of Joycon) and cancel the preorders later (why would I need 4 sets of joycon? :p) and transfert the money to another preorder (Mario Switch, ARMS, Splatoon 2 when they become available?). Or will I lose the double TIVS value?

beta_fuse

I agree with you but for some people the portability aspect is what might push them to grab it over the other consoles.

I have a question about the Nintendo Switch trade-in deals from EBGames.

Can I preorder random stuff (like 4 sets of Joycon) and cancel the preorders later (why would I need 4 sets of joycon? :p) and transfert the money to another preorder (Mario Switch, ARMS, Splatoon 2 when they become available?). Or will I lose the double TIVS value?

I'm 99% sure you can do that. That's what I plan to do and the EB employee said I could, although he did seem a little confused (hence the 99% sure)

antibolo

Banned

Because it's portable??

Why the fuck is that so hard to understand

The switch is flawed in many ways but the only thing I care about is the first-party games so IN MY CASE most of those issues are negligible.

imBask

Banned
The switch is flawed in many ways but the only thing I care about is the first-party games so IN MY CASE most of those issues are negligible.

i'm not against that opinion, it's the only reason my Switch is still pre-ordered for now, but like... 3 games in the first year for over $400?

I played 3 games just last night

Lexxism

Uhm, those people who don't have a Ps4 or xb1?

Moltenix

The portability aspect is a big plus for stuff like longer RPG's. If given the choice, i'd rather get something like Persona 5 on Switch versus PS4.

i'm not against that opinion, it's the only reason my Switch is still pre-ordered for now, but like... 3 games in the first year for over $400?

I played 3 games just last night

Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Binding of Isaac, Rime, Stardew Valley, LEGO City and Yooka Laylee (if we get that version this year) are what I plan to get through 2017. Should be enough to keep my busy. Some genres (FPS) are definitely starved on the console though.

imBask

Banned
Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, Binding of Isaac, Rime, Stardew Valley, LEGO City and Yooka Laylee (if we get that version this year) are what I plan to get through 2017. Should be enough to keep my busy. Some genres (FPS) are definitely starved on the console though.

but I already own all of the games you named except for Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario...

but like... 4 of those are already out and I already own them
the other 2 are multiplat and i'm unsure about them

that leaves 3 games, it's not enough man

Sinistral

Me neither, and, while I am Prime, they also have me at "Priority Shipping" speed due to a change I made in the order before.

What concerns me is while the release date updated, the "shipping date" in my tracking still says "Being shipped soon Expected 2-Dec-16" meaning they didn't update something in their system from after the game was delayed, so I hope it doesn't screw up the shipping.

Ah that sucks! Guess I'll have to chat with CS tomorrow... I preordered mine last month along with Yakuza 0 and a few others in the coming months, hope Y0 doesn't miss its ship date.

Just got my new teksavvy bill today. It says my bandwidth limit is unlimited. But if I sign in to their website, it says 400GB. Which one to believe?

Who am I kidding? I never even come close to using the 400 anyway so it really makes no difference.

The bill, all their 400gb plans are now unlimited.

but I already own all of the games you named except for Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario...

but like... 4 of those are already out and I already own them
the other 2 are multiplat and i'm unsure about them

that leaves 3 games, it's not enough man

I feel ya. Like I said, it's enough for ME, but I can definitely see it not being enough for others.

CazTGG

Portability, for one. It's the main reason i've gotten several games that are available on PC, though that will likely change with the arrival of the Switch and Smach-Z, assuming the former has decent sales now and then/can be plugged into a portable bank to extend its minuscule battery life.

Speaking of digital sales, i've been looking around for a micro SD card for the Switch and i'm having trouble deciding between 128/200 (256 is far too expensive for what it offers.) Which should I go for and what brand are recommended? I've heard good things about Samsung's entire EVO/EVO + line and Sandisk's 200 GB card.

Iced

Portability, for one. It's the main reason i've gotten several games that are available on PC, though that will likely change with the arrival of the Switch and Smach-Z, assuming the former has decent sales now and then/can be plugged into a portable bank to extend its minuscule battery life.

Speaking of digital sales, i've been looking around for a micro SD card for the Switch and i'm having trouble deciding between 128/200 (256 is far too expensive for what it offers.) Which should I go for and what brand are recommended? I've heard good things about Samsung's entire EVO/EVO + line and Sandisk's 200 GB card.

You can't go wrong with either brand, really. I'd say go with whatever is cheaper at the time.

As far as storage size goes, I was trying to figure that out this morning myself. I already own a 128 GB micro sd, so I'll likely just use it.

https://www.destructoid.com/the-destructoid-wii-u-game-file-size-guide-291062.phtml

That should give you a semi-decent idea of what game install sizes will be, keeping in mind a lot of Switch games will likely have larger assets than their Wii U counterparts.

iphys

If it's regarding touch capabilities, I think it wouldn't be as much an issue this time.
DS, 3DS, and Wii U all used resistive touch screens, but for the first time Nintendo has switched (not a pun) to a capacitive touch screen like smart phones use.

Probably that will help, but I bought a third party one for Wii U that was slightly thicker than usual and not only could you not use the touch screen it somehow blocked you from even being able to use controller buttons to do anything like the screen protector was giving constant touchscreen input that interfered, so I wound up having to take it off after spending so much time to put it on without any dust or bubbles. I know others had the same problem.

Iced

The WiiU version of BotW has 3GB install size. Has Nintendo said anything about physical Switch games having installs?

I don't know if anything has officially been stated, but it's highly unlikely. You would need storage for any patch data, but not to play the game. We're not dealing with optical media so load times aren't really a factor. Everything can be read quickly enough from the card itself.

DVCY201

Don't forget the REAL system seller, Puyo Puyo Tetris! I'm in on that for Day 1. Also, Fire Emblem Warriors. No joke, the first year line up rivals what I have for PS4. I'm impressed

Uhm, those people who don't have a Ps4 or xb1?

Are there many of those people out there? For a few gens now, i've always viewed Nintendo consoles as the complimentary console. The second console you get after you've picked up an xbox or playstation.

Portability sells it for me. If it's a competent port, I'll go with Switch. I have a feeling there won't be many times where I have to choose though...

That's the hitch though. From a developer's point of view. They can create a game on the PS4 with a MASSIVE install base and assure good sales. Or try to figure out a way to port over their dream to a console that isn't going to show it off to it's fullest potential. Who's going to be eager to do that?

Because it's portable??

Why the fuck is that so hard to understand

Easy tiger. No need to get angry.

The portability aspect is a big plus for stuff like longer RPG's. If given the choice, i'd rather get something like Persona 5 on Switch versus PS4.

Interesting. I guess I just never see myself being or going anywhere where I'd be sinking in a lot of time on a portable console. I have my Vita. But for the most part I use it to play quick game sessions. And I tried to play Persona (4 is it?) on my Vita and just couldn't commit enough time to it on the go. And if I'm at home, I'd rather be playing on a bigger screen with better sound.

So portability is clearly a reason people would be getting it. But for my own personal tastes. The Switch is/will be the system for Nintendo exclusives. 3rd party on the go? Nope! I'd much rather play a game that is showcased the way a developer intended it. Not a dummied down version.

hiim_haz

Banned

Ditto every other piece of tech. I got an Xbox One day one because I wanted to play games on it but I still bitched and hated it's poor decisions.

I don't really see it as a major issue having the charging port at the bottom lol. That doesn't make me a Nintendo apologist. I think out of all the things that are actually shortcomings, that's the last thing I ever thought about. It's not hard to just go and charge your console from the bottom port.

imBask

Banned
I don't really see it as a major issue having the charging port at the bottom lol. That doesn't make me a Nintendo apologist. I think out of all the things that are actually shortcomings, that's the last thing I ever thought about. It's not hard to just go and charge your console from the bottom port.

it's a small detail, but the argument is more that the hundred details we've learned in the past week piled up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom