• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
EB Games employees are too funny. I was picking up my pre-order for KH 1.5+2.5 and declined the $3 protection thing. The guy said, "are you sure? It's a long game." I told him I know and I've played the games before, and he said, "it's not about playing it, it's about scratching it."

What does that even mean? lmao

I kind of understand this concept if you have small children in the house because well they get into everything even when you thought you were being careful but it is annoying to be asked even after saying no. If I said no, that's what I meant.

I normally buy games on the Xbox One because that's the console friends have (PS4 for exclusives) and I had a guy trying to upsell me on the protection over and over. Eventually, I told him the game is installed on the HDD and the disk is just a license to run the game.

There were quite a few people in line so hopefully, they heard me.

I know those poor souls are just doing their jobs and this was more than likely at the height of the Circle of Life crap but come on.

On-topic. I really need EB to get a significant Switch order in stock. Preferably the Neon version. I have $320 in credit I want to use and I've passed up on some other retailers stock a few times now.

Dazzler

In some EB stores their job is at risk if they don't hit targets for those warranties, it's a poisonous atmosphere to work in

Dude I worked with at HMV got fired for not selling enough scratch protection warranties on games, but our manager was the world's biggest dickhead

I kind of understand this concept if you have small children in the house because well they get into everything even when you thought you were being careful but it is annoying to be asked even after saying no. If I said no, that's what I meant.

You may have meant no, but that's not how their script works. EB script is that they need to ask because their jobs can depend on their overall performance selling that stuff.

Honestly, I wish paying for the membership card would mean "opt out of the script" but nope, same problem...

Velkyn

I normally buy games on the Xbox One because that's the console friends have (PS4 for exclusives) and I had a guy trying to upsell me on the protection over and over. Eventually, I told him the game is installed on the HDD and the disk is just a license to run the game.

There were quite a few people in line so hopefully, they heard me.

I know those poor souls are just doing their jobs and this was more than likely at the height of the Circle of Life crap but come on.

On-topic. I really need EB to get a significant Switch order in stock. Preferably the Neon version. I have $320 in credit I want to use and I've passed up on some other retailers stock a few times now.

Buddy of mine in Montreal got his yesterday by camping the line at like 9:55 AM. Bad news though, all the restock units seem to be grey, as far as I can tell. :(

So TheSource just had the option to "backorder" the Pro Controller. So I just went ahead and did that. The hunt is finally over. Unfortunately the arrival date is April 10th, but whatever.

Sign up for their emails and get a $25 off $100 code. You'll need to add a $10 filler though.

antibolo

Banned
I always wonder who these people are and what the hell do they do with their games. Do they wear game discs as slippers on their sandpaper floors or something? I bought a used copy of Wipeout XL off eBay and it came scratched up enough that the music tracks skip in-game, and I'm like, what the hell did you do? This is why I don't buy used unless I absolutely have to, 90% of the time the stuff is in abysmal condition.

Kids happened. Most kids have zero understanding (and/or give zero fucks) on how to properly handle optical discs.

My nephews just leave discs lying around anywhere, readable side down, and don't hold them by the edges or the hole. Their parents don't care enough to start policing them on proper disc care.

I once lent my copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 to their father, and two years later when I visited them I found the game, was about to take it back but then I looked at the disc's condition... and decided to just leave it there.

They did the exact same thing for Lego City undercover for Switch (price error), put everyone back to full price and then apologized by email they reverted everyone back to the "lower" price...Not sure what will happen with Ff12! I say "lower" because it was like 6$ more expensive at the new lower price.

some shoppers have them yes.

source: family member works there

Awesome, thanks!

Did you ever consider asking the people who work there?

I've asked a few times and even after bringing up a picture on my phone they didn't know what I was talking about, hence asking here if anyone has had luck.

I purchased mine at a shoppers the day after launch. Some stores don't have the inventory on display and you need to ask if they have it in stock.

Interesting, when I go today I'll ask again and if I get the usual answer I'll ask them to check out back/see if someone else on shift knows what I'm on about, thanks!

Where do you see that? If I check my invoice it still shows 31.

Time to watch it like a hawk and jump down their throats when it gets reduced lol

But no seriously, this probably isn't the same amazon that fulfilled the cheap XBX orders. They're probably cracking down hard and avoiding having to pony up on their mistakes.

Whales

Banned
My FF12 order is still at 32$ too

But im surprised, did they not send you an email to tell you they raised the price? Amazon is usually good on that...

I don't understand, I now have 2 orders but one is at 31$. Did the Steelbook went up before the glitch and I ordered one then? (without remembering now, I do that)

If it's the case then my mistake, sorry! haha!

Anyone spotted any trade-in deals for a PS4 or PS4 pro? I'm getting ready to trade in my XB1 with 9 physical games and hoping to get maybe $300 or so for it.

Magnus

Mine's still showing up as $31. Crossin' fingers.

Do screenshots count for shit when complaining? Anyone could just modify them with Photoshop...

I guess I'll snap a few of my invoices regardless.

Seik

Banned
Welp, fuck Orzly, my tempered glass still isn't here.

I just bought a fucking cheap plastic protector for 6.99$ at Wal Mart, brand is Surge ProtectPack.

Just sent a shit, yet courteous e-mail to Orzly about how their shipping is messed up. Will deal with the shitty protector in the meantime.

Amazon didn't ship my Kingdom Hearts yesterday/today because of an "issue" with my credit card number.

So I gave them the exact same information that was already on the order, and now it worked and is shipping now.

Okaaaaay Amazon...

Persona better ship on time.

i-Jest

Kids happened. Most kids have zero understanding (and/or give zero fucks) on how to properly handle optical discs.

My nephews just leave discs lying around anywhere, readable side down, and don't hold them by the edges or the hole. Their parents don't care enough to start policing them on proper disc care.

I once lent my copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 to their father, and two years later when I visited them I found the game, was about to take it back but then I looked at the disc's condition... and decided to just leave it there.

Ouch.

I for one would have been pissed. When it's not your property, you don't give a shit. When it is you take proper care, or learn to the hard way. I guess one could make the argument that they're children and don't know better, but playing Dreamcast and PS1 games as a child taught me to handle these things with proper care less I be short one expensive game bought with my mom's money.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What do you have to do to get free return shipping from Amazon now? Say there's a defect with the product?

I forgot I ordered Planet Earth and I just assumed that the 4K Blurays would play on a normal Bluray player at a lower resolution...

liquidfox00

Neo Member
You may have meant no, but that's not how their script works. EB script is that they need to ask because their jobs can depend on their overall performance selling that stuff.

Honestly, I wish paying for the membership card would mean "opt out of the script" but nope, the same problem...

I totally understand. I very rarely get annoyed in these types of situations because I do know that these people's jobs depend on the all-mighty upsell. As someone who worked retail for a number of years, it's very easy to spot the customer who will bite and who won't.

It's honestly bad form to insist on an upsell in any market but like I said, I understand where they're coming from.

Most EB employees I've dealt with are usually very nice and accommodating and I normally enjoy my shopping experience in store.

Welp, fuck Orzly, my tempered glass still isn't here.

I just bought a fucking cheap plastic protector for 6.99$ at Wal Mart, brand is Surge ProtectPack.

Just sent a shit, yet courteous e-mail to Orzly about how their shipping is messed up. Will deal with the shitty protector in the meantime.

Just got the order I placed last Friday, and still hasn't received the order from .com site, which I placed on March 5.
The pigeon from .com site probably died when it was trying to cross the ocean. RIP birdie.

Did anyone order Has Been Heroes for the Switch from EB? I didn't get a call about my pre-order and the website doesn't allow me to check the store availability.

Seik

Banned
Just got the order I placed last Friday, and still hasn't received the order from .com site, which I placed on March 5.
The pigeon from .com site probably died when it was trying to cross the ocean. RIP birdie.

We ordered at the same time except it was on .ca in my case.

Anyways, when I'll be done placing that plastic screen I won't have to play the waiting game anymore and play my copy of I Am Setsuna that I received today from Play-Asia. :D

Can Amazon CS fix this: " Your item has not been cancelled because this item was part of a multi-item promotion, it cannot be cancelled at this time."

I don't remember what was the minimum amount of game to preorder for the deal to kick in (I even think that it was just 1, maybe 3), but I paid for like 10 games from that order already. No reason to not let me cancel what I want.

killroy87

Can Amazon CS fix this: " Your item has not been cancelled because this item was part of a multi-item promotion, it cannot be cancelled at this time."

I don't remember what was the minimum amount of game to preorder for the deal to kick in (I even think that it was just 1, maybe 3), but I paid for like 10 games from that order already. No reason to not let me cancel what I want.

Should be. Contact them.

antibolo

Banned
Ouch.

I for one would have been pissed. When it's not your property, you don't give a shit. When it is you take proper care, or learn to the hard way. I guess one could make the argument that they're children and don't know better, but playing Dreamcast and PS1 games as a child taught me to handle these things with proper care less I be short one expensive game bought with my mom's money.

Well, the way I perceive it is that they don't really care about individual games, if a game fails they just move on to something else, so for them those failures are a normal part of dealing with physical games.

Which is really an interesting study of how kids play video games nowadays. For them they're just disposable toys, they just faff around with them until they get bored, they don't care about completing them. They have so many games easily available to them for cheap that their attention span is nil.

Now I'm not saying that my nephews are necessarily representative of today's kids as a whole, but from my anecdotal point of view that's how I'm seeing it.

mdubs

Banned

Yeah I've contacted them regarding this issue with book orders and they'll fix it no problem

i-Jest

Well, the way I perceive it is that they don't really care about individual games, if a game fails they just move on to something else, so for them those failures are a normal part of dealing with physical games.

Which is really an interesting study of how kids play video games nowadays. For them they're just disposable toys, they just faff around with them until they get bored, they don't care about completing them. They have so many games easily available to them for cheap that their attention span is nil.

Now I'm not saying that my nephews are necessarily representative of today's kids as a whole, but from my anecdotal point of view that's how I'm seeing it.

Ah I see. I read your analysis on this generational difference and kids playing mobile games on tablets popped into my head. That's some food for thought when it comes to the future of video games on the go.

Also:

$34.99 Persona 5 (PS3) team stand up. We've waited a long time for this day and it's almost here.

The Persona 5 SteelBook Edition contains the same steelbook as the one in the "Take Your Heart" Premium Edition? I have regular, steelbook and Premium preordered. I need to take a decision before all 3 ships...

i-Jest

The Persona 5 SteelBook Edition contains the same steelbook as the one in the "Take Your Heart" Premium Edition? I have regular, steelbook and Premium preordered. I need to take a decision before all 3 ships...

I'm just gonna keep my standard PS4 edition. If I really want that steelbook, I'll get it later. I'd rather it be a preorder or first print run bonus though.

antibolo

Banned
I'm just gonna keep my standard PS4 edition. If I really want that steelbook, I'll get it later. I'd rather it be a preorder or first print run bonus though.

Is it cheaper or anything?

I'm not a fan of steelbooks, but given the option of steelbook or not steelbook for the same price, I definitely pick the steelbook.

You guys waiting for your Orzly screen protectors, I waited 3 weeks+ only to fuck up both screen protectors when applying them, yeeahhhhh baby.

Luigi87

You guys waiting for your Orzly screen protectors, I waited 3 weeks+ only to fuck up both screen protectors when applying them, yeeahhhhh baby.

I effed my first one. Got a tiny spec of dust under my second that I can live with.
... Oh and this is the one I ordered on Saturday, which arrived yesterday. The one I ordered back on March 3rd is still somewhere.

i-Jest

Is it cheaper or anything?

I'm not a fan of steelbooks, but given the option of steelbook or not steelbook for the same price, I definitely pick the steelbook.

I have to check but I vaguely remember ordering when Amazon still did 30% off E3 preorders. Can anyone confirm?

just fucked up my first installation, has some dust underneath D:

I effed my first one. Got a tiny spec of dust under my second that I can live with.
... Oh and this is the one I ordered on Saturday, which arrived yesterday. The one I ordered back on March 3rd is still somewhere.

My post from the Switch Protection Thread:
Fucked up both of my 2 Orzly screen protectors while applying them. Both times 1 or a couple specks of dust manage to get it in in the less than a second that takes to remove the film from the tempered glass and drop it. And yes I was a meticulous as I could, steamed room, hinge method, clean hands, I feel like I did everything right on my end, I even tried to ignore those specks of dust, but I couldn't, they were staring right into my soul every time I was playing.
I have my AmFil screen protectors coming today or tomorrow, will try again but now I feel there is some sort of luck in applying this thing perfectly.

Waiting for my Amfilm tomorrow to try my luck again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom