• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyolux

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident or if Best Buy was releasing old returned stock back into the wild on Friday, but regardless I think it's a good idea for anyone who got one from them to call Nintendo and check (if it's something that would concern them). I'm not really sure how they operate as far as returned merchandise goes, but I assumed things like this would go back on the floor with a slight discount. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this could educate me though. I'm really curious!

Well luckily for me, wii u is still the only nintendo console I need.

jokkir

I bought these neon joycons and I don't even know if I want to keep them. I like the colours better than the grey but the price :\ Still thinking of returning

edit - whoops thought this was the switch thread lol

Kyolux

I bought these neon joycons and I don't even know if I want to keep them. I like the colours better than the grey but the price : Still thinking of returning

It pretty much is though.

Iced

I bought these neon joycons and I don't even know if I want to keep them. I like the colours better than the grey but the price :\ Still thinking of returning

You're not wrong

Windam

Scaley member
Oh shit, Kingdom Hearts comes out today, right? Beautiful, Amazon says my copy will arrive in April, despite being a Prime member because there was no Two-day shipping option when I pre-ordered. Oh well, I don't mind waiting: exams are starting next week, and I have a bunch of other games to finish start.

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident or if Best Buy was releasing old returned stock back into the wild on Friday, but regardless I think it's a good idea for anyone who got one from them to call Nintendo and check (if it's something that would concern them). I'm not really sure how they operate as far as returned merchandise goes, but I assumed things like this would go back on the floor with a slight discount. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this could educate me though. I'm really curious!

More likely that someone returned it and passed it off as new. They should've opened it to check while processing the return. That's how you get sand in iPad boxes.

Velkyn

Still trying to (fruitlessly) track down Horizon at Shoppers in an attempt to spend my optimum points on something useful.

It's a fucking mess. Why do they even stock video games?

I hate playing with the Joycons, the sticks feel poor quality (esp the left one)

I play mostly with a pro controller so no biggie

Yeah I dunno what it is but I'm playing Shovel Knight and the left one just feels bad. Like my thumb slips around on it or it's too tiny. The dpad isn't very good either.

Anyways don't wanna steer too far off topic. Hope some restocks arrive soon.

Vinc

Switch Pro controllers were dripping into stores over the last few weeks, but it seems to have completely stopped, at least in EB Games stores. I'm really annoyed, as I've been looking for one on a daily basis since launch in Montreal!

Switch Pro controllers were dripping into stores over the last few weeks, but it seems to have completely stopped, at least in EB Games stores. I'm really annoyed, as I've been looking for one on a daily basis since launch in Montreal!

The EB Games in downtown Montreal is comical. At best 1/2 games, the Switch display struggles to even show games let alone anything else. Pharmaprix does a better job of restocking consoles (the one near the BB has restocked, twice) and Best Buy always seems to have joycons.

Have never seen a Pro Controller in stores, got mine on Amazon and that was it...

antibolo

Banned
Still trying to (fruitlessly) track down Horizon at Shoppers in an attempt to spend my optimum points on something useful.

It's a fucking mess. Why do they even stock video games?

Do you guys remember when Canadian Tire used to carry video games?

Good times.

Well I'm supposed to send out my unusably bad left JoyCon to Nintendo after work today and now Purolator has gone on strike and suspended all shipments. I guess I should hold off? Bummer.

TheClair

Neo Member
It would appear this weekend will be a Super Sale at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's advertised as April 1 & 2 only. Probably will be similar to the Super Sale event in November. (No flyer yet, board advertisement outside my local store [in Edmonton]).

Also, if you redeemed points with the personalized bonus point redemption coupons earlier in March, the points should have been credited to you account (12000pts for 50000pt redemption, was what I used).

TheExodu5

Banned
So the Switch shipments are following the same pattern this week:

Monday - EB restock
Tuesday - Walmart and Source restocks.

If the pattern from last week holds true, expect more Switch stock at The Source this afternoon possibly.

iphys

Been trying to exchange my defective Pro controller at EB I got at launch. Kept calling to see if they were in stock and they'd tell me to call back. Finally went in there and they took down my number and said they'd reserve the first one they get for me but they've still never called back. I honestly thought they would get some last week when they got new systems, but I guess not. Not sure what happens if they don't get one in before the 30-day exchange period is up. At this rate it would have been faster to send it in to Nintendo for repair.

EB Games employees are too funny. I was picking up my pre-order for KH 1.5+2.5 and declined the $3 protection thing. The guy said, "are you sure? It's a long game." I told him I know and I've played the games before, and he said, "it's not about playing it, it's about scratching it."

What does that even mean? lmao

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
EB Games employees are too funny. I was picking up my pre-order for KH 1.5+2.5 and declined the $3 protection thing. The guy said, "are you sure? It's a long game." I told him I know and I've played the games before, and he said, "it's not about playing it, it's about scratching it."

What does that even mean? lmao

lol I wonder who if any buys this protection plan

So TheSource just had the option to "backorder" the Pro Controller. So I just went ahead and did that. The hunt is finally over. Unfortunately the arrival date is April 10th, but whatever.

jholmes

Do you guys remember when Canadian Tire used to carry video games?

Good times.

When I was a kid I saved up to buy a copy of Aero the Acro-Bat at BiWay. It was gone by the time I had the money, so I went to a better store to buy a better game.

Magnus

No one I know got a 20% PSN code in Canada. Did any of you?

Also, any word on if the XII Zodiac Steelbook orders on Amazon will hold? Got a few in for friends and I.

eyesradar

tbh I think the majority of the customers of the so called protection plan are those poor moms or grannies buying games for their kids.

I don't think I have ever seen a scratched blue-ray due to wear-and-tear. They are really really scratch-proof.

Edit: I did get a 20% code. Found it in my spam. Titled "PSN_ID, here is your weekly PlayStation update" or something like that.

Magnus

It would appear this weekend will be a Super Sale at Shoppers Drug Mart. It's advertised as April 1 & 2 only. Probably will be similar to the Super Sale event in November. (No flyer yet, board advertisement outside my local store [in Edmonton]).

Also, if you redeemed points with the personalized bonus point redemption coupons earlier in March, the points should have been credited to you account (12000pts for 50000pt redemption, was what I used).

What did the super sale entail?

And nice, I got my 12k points at Shoppers too. Was a great deal.

Velkyn

Uninformed people definitely do on individual games. I think even more people fall for it as the cost of stuff increases (controllers, consoles, etc). It's a really shitty way of preying on people who want to "protect their investment" despite the fact that it rarely covers most types of damage on hardware compared to manufacturer's warranties that cover mostly everything you could possibly have to worry about.

As for games...Literally the only scratches I have ever seen in my collection are from used PS3 games that I bought at EB.

Uninformed people definitely do on individual games. I think even more people fall for it as the cost of stuff increases (controllers, consoles, etc). It's a really shitty way of preying on people who want to "protect their investment" despite the fact that it rarely covers most types of damage on hardware compared to manufacturer's warranties that cover mostly everything you could possibly have to worry about.

As for games...Literally the only scratches I have ever seen in my collection are from used PS3 games that I bought at EB.

I always wonder who these people are and what the hell do they do with their games. Do they wear game discs as slippers on their sandpaper floors or something? I bought a used copy of Wipeout XL off eBay and it came scratched up enough that the music tracks skip in-game, and I'm like, what the hell did you do? This is why I don't buy used unless I absolutely have to, 90% of the time the stuff is in abysmal condition.

I always wonder who these people are and what the hell do they do with their games. Do they wear game discs as slippers on their sandpaper floors or something? I bought a used copy of Wipeout XL off eBay and it came scratched up enough that the music tracks skip in-game, and I'm like, what the hell did you do? This is why I don't buy used unless I absolutely have to, 90% of the time the stuff is in abysmal condition.

When I worked electronics retail I actively tried to talk people out of buying them on games and movies because I felt so bad, yet a lot of them forced me to sell it to them saying they don't want it to "get too scratched". Very bizarre.

I can see the appeal on TVs and stuff though, although I would probably still never buy one.

Velkyn

In the PS1+2 era, you used to see a lot of perfect circular scratches because of shitty drive mods, but I've no fucking idea how people get their PS3 games in the condition I've seen some games in. I guess they're not going Console>Case or Case>Console right away, or maybe they lost the boxes or something? I'm super into collecting and it just makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom