• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDH

I buy used controllers for retro consoles, and I take them apart wash every button, stick, d-pad with an APC (All-Pupose Cleaner) and then in soap and water. Then I do a wipe down of the circuit board with 99% alcohol. The gunk that comes off of all of those parts are disgusting.

Just don't be lazy and clean it properly, and it's like new. I'd never just start playing with a used one though *shudders*

I will say I bought controllers that smell of mothballs, and that odour is literally impossible to remove. I usually clean them up and re-sell them :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I buy used controllers for retro consoles, and I take them apart wash every button, stick, d-pad with an APC (All-Pupose Cleaner) and then in soap and water. Then I do a wipe down of the circuit board with 99% alcohol. The gunk that comes off of all of those parts are disgusting.

Just don't be lazy and clean it properly, and it's like new. I'd never just start playing with a used one though *shudders*

These days you have to worry about a flat battery as well. I somehow doubt EB is putting in fresh batteries when they resell these gunked up controllers.

JDH

These days you have to worry about a flat battery as well. I somehow doubt EB is putting in fresh batteries when they resell these gunked up controllers.

That's true. I do buy any current gen controllers new of course - just got to wait for those sales.

zroid

Banned
Feel slightly dumb now because I just bought the Zelda DLC last week and I haven't even played it yet. Could have used my EB credit to buy it off them directly (or even on a eShop card).

o well

Mikey Jr.

Ehhh if you clean them before use it's not that bad. I got a used PS2 controller at Game Shack once, asked if they could clean it since it seemed a bit grimey, and they did without a problem. After that there was pretty much no real issue. New is preferable, yeah, but as long as you clean it out it's not a big deal.

Nahhh, I'm good. Rather spend the extra $15 bucks personally.

Nothing against anyone here or anything, it's just the thought of it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nahhh, I'm good. Rather spend the extra $15 bucks personally.

Nothing against anyone here or anything, it's just the thought of it.

Do you take public transportation? Someone probably pissed on that seat.

Shake hands with people? They probably just finished rubbing one out.

Did you get cashed out at the store? The cashier probably picked their nose and scratched their buttcrack.

Did you get mail? The postman probably dropped a deuce before dropping your mail off.

Do you eat fast food? Don't even get me started on what goes into your food or how its prepared, because you have no idea what people are doing with your food.

Just sayin'

zroid

Banned

Did you get cashed out at the store? The cashier probably picked their nose and scratched their buttcrack.

Did you get mail? The postman probably dropped a deuce before dropping your mail off.

Do you eat fast food? Don't even get me started on what goes into your food or how its prepared, because you have no idea what people are doing with your food.

Just sayin'
poor guy is going to need years of therapy thanks to you, man

seriously though, money is extremely unhygienic. any time i handle cash i wash my hands asap.

Mikey Jr.

Just sayin'

Haha, true.

Some things I can at least control.

Sora_N

Traded in 2 DS3 and 1 PS4 controller.

One of the DS3s has a sticky/melted stick, and it doesn't work iirc (I didn't try it for years).

My DS4 was fine, but I only paid $20 for it and it's the older model. Not really using it right now so I figured I should trade it in and buy a second one later if I need it. I only used it for my Vita TV which isn't really being used for now.

$110 isn't bad. I wanted to buy Yakuza 0 but it's sold out at that store, so I bought Persona and preordered Mario. Going to return P5 at another store to buy Yakuza.

PFD

Thank you for bringing up the EB Games trade-in deal, I just got rid of my old DS3

But holy shit the sales guy was so aggressive trying to sell me their loyalty card, preorders, and other crap. I kept refusing and saying I just want the gift card, until eventually he literally said "why do you want the card if you're not buying anything?"

Can you believe this guy

Quick

Banned
Kinda rude and selfish that some of you are trading in controllers that don't work...

They probably know what they're getting, quality-wise. It's up to every EB employee to deny these trade-ins, but it seems they aren't unless the controllers are really fucked up or something.

That being said, they're probably gonna send a bunch of them out to be refurbished.

They probably know what they're getting, quality-wise. It's up to every EB employee to deny these trade-ins, but it seems they aren't unless the controllers are really fucked up or something.

That being said, they're probably gonna send a bunch of them out to be refurbished.
Yeah, hopefully they won't just toss everything they get onto the sales floor. I'd hate for someone to buy one of these busted controllers, just to have to return it to EB Games and go through a return process. Which, in turn, will either force EB to get the controller fixed or toss it in the garbage - either way, these broken controllers are going to cost them more than anticipated. I know EB isn't a mom & pop shop and will be able to take a couple hits, but still. I wouldn't feel good about trading in something I knew didn't work.

Mikey Jr.

Don't they take your driver license number when you do a trade in?

If the controller is fucked, they can't just take away your credits? Dunno what's the rule on that.

PFD

If the controller is fucked, they can't just take away your credits? Dunno what's the rule on that.

They took my name, phone number and email

I was kinda surprised that they didn't even inspect the controller or try to turn it on. My controller is in great shape, barely used it but still

Still mad at that sales guy though, they're way too pushy

Ventara

I don't think so. I think the ID thing is just some pawn shop rule just in case the stuff you traded in is stolen (not like they can identify stolen games, though, without any special markings).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, they're not going to track you down if you give them something broken. I bet lots of people snuck in some dead 360s back in the day.

zroid

Banned
interesting. it seems that the current domino's 50 off deal DOESN'T include feast pizzas. previously this was always allowed.

interesting. it seems that the current domino's 50 off deal DOESN'T include feast pizzas. previously this was always allowed.

Were you trying to use two coupons at once? I know there's a coupon that is applied to feast pizzas by default, so maybe that's why the 50% off didn't work for you? Just a thought...

zroid

Banned
Were you trying to use two coupons at once? I know there's a coupon that is applied to feast pizzas by default, so maybe that's why the 50% off didn't work for you? Just a thought...
it's possible that there's a different coupon for the feast pizzas this time maybe? but when I added my feast pizza to the cart and then entered the promo code it just acted as if the applicable items weren't there yet. so when I tried to "add item" by clicking on the link beside the coupon it showed a list of applicable items and the list was just one thing: "build your own pizza". when I tried that the coupon applied. sooooo yeah... 😥

big_z

I was checking the rfd thread last night because the code doesn't work for my store either. Apparently the 50% deal doesn't start until next week in some areas.
Also a few complaints about some locations increasing prices to counter the deal.

zroid

Banned
I was checking the rfd thread last night because the code doesn't work for my store either. Apparently the 50% deal doesn't start until next week in some areas.
Also a few complaints about some locations increasing prices to counter the deal.
ah never thought of that, maybe it's just the location I chose making that restriction.

Thanks for mentioning the EB Games deal. I traded in my old DS3, Just Cause 3 (since I now have it digitally through PS+), and Battlefield 4 (stopped playing it 2 years ago) for just over $45. I then used that to get a $25 PSN card and $20 Xbox Live code. Feels good to trade things I'll never use again for future digital purchases.

What a weird experience at EB Games though. While I was making my transactions, a guy behind me said: "why are you getting the PSN card? I hate PlayStation" in a real aggressive voice. I was shocked but calmly replied: "both systems are great, but I actually think PlayStation has the better exclusives". For some reason, that set him off. He said, "are you for real? Xbox has Forza...the best racing game in the world. I'd only ever buy a PlayStation for NHL 18". I was so dumbfounded and confused. All I said at that point was: "that's nice. You can have your opinion".

Yikes.

zroid

Banned
What a weird experience at EB Games though. While I was making my transactions, a guy behind me said: "why are you getting the PSN card? I hate PlayStation" in a real aggressive voice.

LOOOOOOL

this brings back memories of the time I was checking out a eShop card from Best Buy and started getting lectured on the flaws of Nintendo's online system

he wasn't anywhere near as aggressive as your guy apparently was though. it was just really stupid, and not a conversation I wanted to have.

ElNino

Not a bad deal. @EB Games. Aug 11 to 13 only

Time to trade my old ass DS4.
Hmm, I have a (clean) DS4 that has a dead battery, which is ridiculous considering it's only two years old and hasn't been used much. I wonder if I can trade it in towards a new controller if it doesn't turn on without being plugged in?

Ventara

So what is this EB X thing?

If you mean the trade deal everyone's talking about it's this

20727889_10155414648855999_5308463508604491187_n.png

khaaan

I've been thinking of trading in my controller, I keep it pretty clean but the left analog stick has some weird deterioration that leaves it a lot softer than the right analog stick. I'd feel bad about trading it in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a dangerous game of chicken we're playing here... but if it drops another dollar, my ideal "add-on" item won't qualify me for free shipping.
Superbeat dropped another 50 cents.

I've never seen this before on Amazon, where the price constantly changes every few hours.

zroid

Banned
No, He means the new store branding. It looks to me like HMV reincarnate tbh... Not sure if it's replacing EBGames or a supplemental brand but it seems to pander to those that buy funko pops and other kitchy stuff.

could have sworn "EB Games" was already doing that enough as it is

farisr

So can anyone confirm if you can bring in multiple controllers for that deal?

Man, I'm really, really sick. But that controller trade in deal is too good to pass up for my four DS3s that are never gonna get used again. Will just use the basic DS4 support the PS3 has if I ever need to play a game on it for the really rare local multiplayer game session of an old game, have a cronusmax plus as well.

Ventara

Man, I'm really, really sick. But that controller trade in deal is too good to pass up for my four DS3s that are never gonna get used again. Will just use the basic DS4 support the PS3 has if I ever need to play a game on it for the really rare local multiplayer game session of an old game, have a cronusmax plus as well.

Well, someone got $110 trade credit here, and I assume they got that from 2 DS3 and 1 DS4.

Anything like that ever happened to anyone? I had KH3 in a order for 0$ (put at that price by the CSR to fix an error they made). I even got a email 2 weeks ago to talk about them not having a release date for it yet. Now the game is gone from the order. Can't find it anywhere, looked in canceled and everything. I would refer to the original order mail but the CSR put the game at 0$ after making me do the order with normal prices.

How does a game simply disappear from an order, without a mail or a trace?

I traded in two DS4s without issues.

Damnit all. Can't find my old ps3 controllers. I know for a fact that they're somewhere in this house. But I've made a mess in near every room without any luck.

there goes 60 dollars... DX

ElNino

Great, now I can't even charge my DS3 controller. What's with Sony and not using AA batteries in their controllers. Two barely used controllers that look otherwise brand new are useless now, while I still have launch day 360 controllers and Wiimotes that work fine.

Now, if they don't try to power them on (or don't care) maybe I can still trade them in I guess.

jayu26

Great, now I can't even charge my DS3 controller. What's with Sony and not using AA batteries in their controllers. Two barely used controllers that look otherwise brand new are useless now, while I still have launch day 360 controllers and Wiimotes that work fine.

Now, if they don't try to power them on (or don't care) maybe I can still trade them in I guess.

You can buy replacement batteries. I had to buy one when mine wouldn't hold charge. It has been fine since (three to four years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom