• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke is probably nerfed to the ground now since EU doesn't count anymore. He is probably at obiwan level strong at most. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke already got destoryed by snoke and went into hiding like Yoda. Don't expect too much out of this new trilogy. At least the TLJ looks visually very different. Only reason got me excited.

If Snoke is more powerful than Luke, why is Snoke so adamant on destroying him? As far as they're aware Luke's just hiding away somewhere on his lonesome. He's not a threat. Snoke's scared of Luke.

Rey turning bad is the laziest fucking thing you could do with her.
Just like Kylo turning good is the laziest thing you could do with that guy.

Granted, I'm sure there are ways to take that familiar bullshit and execute it well enough that it overcomes that tired nature. But it'd definitely be sorta disappointing, for me, to watch that be the path both those characters are led down.

The second act has some problems, I think harrison ford gives his best performance in years but a lot of his scenes are lacking something, the entire second act feels poorly executed to me, i wonder if it was because of his injury and time away from the set.

TFA is still FAR ahead of the prequels and rogue one though.

Rey turning bad is the laziest fucking thing you could do with her.

No, having her follow a predictable White Hat path is the laziest thing they could do. Besides, I am not even suggesting they should or would do it. Good grief.

I simply said, taking a character that endeared themselves to audience and flipping the script on them would be a shock. That, IMO, is interesting.

Her being retconned into being a Kenobi or Skywalkers would be paint by numbers, IMO.

No, having her follow a predictable White Hat path is the laziest thing they could do. Besides, I am not even suggesting they should or would do it. Good grief.

I simply said, taking a character that endeared themselves to audience and flipping the script on them would be a shock. That, IMO, is interesting.

Her being retconned into being a Kenobi or Skywalkers would be paint by numbers, IMO.
Yeah she's already too strong. If she turns bad then kylo will be the underdog. That way things will be interesting. But what most probably will happen is Luke will get owned by Kylo like nothing. Then Rey will step in to put kylo back in his place like last time.

How is it "retconning" if she was already written to be that from jump?

Her parentage was decided on before they made TFA.

No, having her follow a predictable White Hat path is the laziest thing they could do.

You see the easy solution there is to not make it predictable right?

There are a multitude of interesting things you can do with a hero that doesn't include making them the bad guy.

Pretty rich coming from the guy tirelessly defending a movie full of lazy conventions and plot points.

My stamina aside - I'm not even so much defending the movie as I am shitting on terrible lazy arguments that read like sneezings from the CinemaSins peanut gallery

Surfinn

I don't think that is true at all. If her fall was based around the issues she hasn't fully resolved within herself, I.e. being abandoned and left behind, the anguish and sense of loss would fester. I doubt all those feelings would have been fully reconciled by the time she lets the Force in.

There wouldn't be a conflict like Ren was dealing with per se, but the dark side could seep in through those vulnerabilities in her character. It would be a more tragic fall than anything else in my mind.

With that as a foundation, it could make for a potentially interesting extension of her arch.

While I don't think she should take a pure light path (even Luke did not), she'd proven, as Luke did in ANH, that she stands for what is good in the galaxy (flaws and all). She's on the hero's path. Now, you can still do a LOT with that path, and it doesn't have to necessarily succumb to a cookie cutter, soulless result.

Anakin, on the other hand, gave off such a creepy ass vibe that even at age like 7 they predicted his dark future.

But her turning completely evil or flipping to the dark side defies the significance of catching the saber, for one.

The entire point of that scene was to solidify her as the hero of the trilogy. Not Luke, not Finn, not Ren, not BB-8.

That was her moment. The beginning of her journey.. her "first steps", as Ewan seductively whispered into our ears.

While I don't think she should take a pure light path (even Luke did not), she'd proven, as Luke did, that she stands for what is good in the galaxy (flaws and all). She's on the hero's path. Now, you can still do a LOT with that path, and it doesn't have to necessarily succumb to a cookie cutter, soulless result.

But her turning completely evil or going to the dark side defies her catching the saber, for one.

The entire point of that scene was to solidify her as the hero of the trilogy. Not Luke, not Finn, not Ren, not BB-8.

That was her moment. The beginning of her journey.. her "first steps", as Ewan seductively whispered in our ears.

It might not be soulless but it could end up being vanilla. I hope there is a bit of nuance on her journey and not just losing the next lightsaber match in order to set the table for the rubber match in 9.

I guess we will see.

Surfinn

It might not be soulless but it could end up being vanilla. I hope there is a bit of nuance on her journey and not just losing the next lightsaber match in order to set the table for the rubber match in 9.

I guess we will see.

Everything we've seen and read from RJ tells us the opposite. That it WON'T be a "vanilla" approach. That there will be big risks taken.

And flipping sides is the easiest way to provide a cheap twist, but comes across as shallow and disappointing, after the narrative established in TFA, IMO.

I'm calling YOU out, Carol from TWD.

If Snoke is more powerful than Luke, why is Snoke so adamant on destroying him? As far as they're aware Luke's just hiding away somewhere on his lonesome. He's not a threat. Snoke's scared of Luke.
Those aren't the only two choices here...
Snoke can only want like dead because smoke is not as powerful as Luke? Logic 101

sphagnum

Banned
Is there even any leaks out there for TLJ? I thought Disney was good at keeping secrets.

Yes, but most as much as TFA. We knew almost the entire plot of TFA like a year in advance minus Starkiller Base (we knew what happened there but we didn't know exactly the weapon was).

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
When you fancy that girl in your class but don't want anyone to know

I think that would have been dumber than Rey destroying Kylo Ren like nothing
Yeah either Rey is the strongest Jedi ever lived or this whole character is just dumb
Is the Rey the strongest Jedi ever lived? I mean even stronger than the Force Unleashed character?
I think she would become the strongest. Even surpass EU luke I think.
But that still don't explain how Rey is so Godlike
Given how godlike she is i won't be surprised if she regen force power at 500% speed.
Once she is trained I think even EU luke will get destroyed by her. She is too strong maybe the strongest ever
Rey is a character in a movie and we are talking about how that character is too strong and defies the SW lore
I can see Rey being as ridiculously strong as this:
Episode 8 should be about Rey training Luke. Teach him a thing or two.
I wonder who is strongest jedi of all time a fully trained Rey or the character from the force unleashed
then Godlike Rey pop out of nowhere and obliterate kylo ren once again
I think based on the potential shown in ep 7 trained Rey is probably the strongest force user ever.
Yeah she's already too strong. If she turns bad then kylo will be the underdog.

When you fancy that girl in your class but don't want anyone to know

giphy.webp

ryutaro's next prediction:

Rey delves deep into a depression and won't come out of her room

But really.. do you think Rey is turning? And if so you must also predict Kylo's inevitable flip?

No I don't think she is turning...I just posited what I thought could be a shocking revelation.

Real prediction: I could see Kylo going full Saiyan and HE is the one that offs Snoke cause he is getting in the way of his off the rails evolution.

I could also see him re-assembling the Knights Of Ren.

Ren without his father is gonna be a force (no pun intended)

A cool scenario would be Luke holding his own against said Knights and Ren but they prove to be too much.

My special, secret wish is Rey constructs a twin bladed saber to mirror her staff and in doing so, stakes her claim.

Kyoufu

I want a badass female Sith lord in a Star Wars flick. How has this not happened yet? They obviously won't turn Rey, but I'm wondering why there's no other female character who uses the dark side of the Force.

Surfinn

No I don't think she is turning...I just posited what I thought could be a shocking revelation.

Real prediction: I could see Kylo going full Saiyan and HE is the one that offs Snoke cause he is getting in the way of his off the rails evolution.

I could also see him re-assembling the Knights Of Ren.

Ren without his father is gonna be a force (no pun intended)

A cool scenario would be Luke holding his own against said Knights and Ren but they prove to be too much.

My special, secret wish is Rey constructs a twin bladed saber to mirror her staff and in doing so, stakes her claim.
Correct me if I'm wrong here but.. I don't remember hearing about the knights being disassembled?

I'm down with a double saber. Would make sense for her character

Correct me if I'm wrong here but.. I don't remember hearing about the knights being disassembled?

I'm down with a double saber. Would make sense for her character

I'm speculating that since they were there in the flashback, they are still out there somewhere.

But who knows?

I always assumed they were out doing other shit, yeah.

I think it would be interesting to have one character lose the master trying to teach her the ways of the Force (and as a result takes those teachings forward and forges new splinter of the Jedi, ala Lutheran to Christians) vs. the other feels that their master has nothing to teach them and kills them, starting his own misguided "religion".

Surfinn

I think it would be interesting to have one character lose the master trying to teach her the ways of the Force (and as a result takes those teachings forward and forges new splinter of the Jedi, ala Lutheran to Christians) vs. the other feels that their master has nothing to teach them and kills them, starting his own misguided "religion".

Yeah, I see it going in this direction. Kinda similar to Plap and his master.

Would be incredible to finally see something like this play out on screen

Yeah, I see it going in this direction. Kinda similar to Plap and his master.

Would be incredible to finally see something like this play out on screen

Yeah, that was my first thought when I heard the title. Luke is the Last Jedi and Rey is the first <new>.

It makes sense in my mind that Ren would, in parallel, head down a twisted version of Rey's transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom