• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies hitting the West [Digital Only Confirmed]

Glass Rebel

I think it's an odd translation - it just means the "ready for retail" version but I have added it to the OP.

I find it very odd that they would totally miss putting in a physical release in the PR.

This is true but we can't come to a conclusion without considering all pieces of evidence.

aw24FgW.gif

eternalb

Read Digital Release... immediately stopped reading.

C'mon Capcom, that better have just been an ommission. You aren't going to build any new followers this way.

Plus I'm still bummed that we never got the 2nd Ace Attoney Investigations.

Esura

Banned
I get the account thing being an issue, really I do, but guys? The game is coming out. Were it not for the eShop we wouldn't be getting the game at all. I hate it, but it's the world we live in now, and even if you think this game had a chance to make money as a physical release, Capcom didn't.

So I won't buy it. Simple as that.

I won't be able to buy a digital copy used for £5 a few months after release. :(

There's too much coming out in autumn too; Zelda, Bravery Default, Pokemon, SMT4 all just for 3DS.

Oh what the hell Capcom.

If this is digital only, we better be getting AAI2 digital. >_>

This.

I'm so conflicted right now.

Level 5 get off your ass and release Layton vs PW soon!
as dat glorious boxed copy

I understood Capcom didn't want to do a boxed copy of AAI2 due to low sales and piracy on NDS but 3DS? Come on son.

At least make it possible to get a boxed version. Like from your own webstore or something.

Noi

Someone explain to me why digital only is such a terrible thing?

There's no way I'm not buying this. I love the AA games and this one looks great.

I'm not buying a digital game on Nintendo's garbage download system that's tied the hardware and not the actual account. It's that simple.

FSLink

Banned
Well this could be a way for them to gauge if AAI2 digital is worth it, that's why everyone here needs to buy it digitally regardless. Refusing to buy this digitally isn't going to make Capcom think "darn we should have made a retail version" it's going to make them go "we were right AA doesn't sell in the west lets not bother localizing any more games"

I'm still getting it. But it's disappointing. :p

Abandond

It shall be interesting to see how handheld and console gamers adapt to the current PC situation in North America judging by this thread.

Id say one of two things will happen.
1. Nintendo changes nothing and they'll get over it. No one liked Steam originally either.
2. Nintendo will introduce an account system like they said they would and people will stop whining and use the service.

Doesnt matter where it releases. Day 1.

18-Volt

I'm not surprised. They're already getting help from Nintendo to distrubute their titles (Monster Hunter, SSF43D, RE:R) and it's such a drag for Nintendo. Digital is way better for both of them. For physical only gamers, not so much. Well, Nintendo is already working for unified eShop accounts, so embracing digital won't be that hard.

NotLiquid

Don't care whether it's retail, digital, floppy drive or MSDOS. It's a brand new fucking Ace Attorney game that's actually coming at a timely release with Phoenix Wright finally back in the helm.

I will be there day one.

Esura

Banned
Well this could be a way for them to gauge if AAI2 digital is worth it, that's why everyone here needs to buy it digitally regardless. Refusing to buy this digitally isn't going to make Capcom think "darn we should have made a retail version" it's going to make them go "we were right AA doesn't sell in the west lets not bother localizing any more games"

If digital only is their only solution for bringing over AA games then I can live without them ever localizing any more of them.

I have a feeling they just forgot to add physical/retail in that PR piece though.

Santar

Shame if it's only digital, but not that surprising seeing as low sales was the reason we didn't get Edgeworth investigations 2. They can probably save quite a bit by not having to press up carts and boxes.
I would absolutely prefer a retail version myself though, but if it's either no english version or digital then digital it is.

Not sure if thats there logic, after all HD 1 & 2 were announced for ios at same time as this game.
Might of planned digital only from the start.

Phatmac

I'll buy this in a heart beat. Only issue for me is that Nintendo doesn't back up your digital purchases so if you lose your 3DS all your digital content is gone. :(

Eusis

It shall be interesting to see how handheld and console gamers adapt to the current PC situation in North America judging by this thread.
I wonder how much if it would have to do with media cost if so. Carts are more practical than optical for handheld games, but cost more and seemingly few people are willing to pay extra for carts despite the fidelity being roughly on par with the PS2, higher in the case of Vita. Also disappointing in that it's the bastion of Japanese niche games which tended to get better packaging, but if Vita and EOIV/Soul Hackers is any indication they may've been forced to compromise there anyway.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hell yeah, this is one of my most anticipiated games only and its coming this autumn as DIGITAL ONLY WHAT THE ?????

Seriously, if this is the future of video games, I think i'll just continue collecting old games fron now and till forever. I want to own these games, be able to play them whenever I want to (now or in ten years or whatever), and have a nice physical copy for my gamings shelf. Will definitely pass on this if it doesnt go retail.

Operation Retailfall anybody?

i am upset by the digital only news

other consoles digital only would have been fine, but i don't like how nintendo handles this stuff

please capcom say retail

plz

EDIT: fuck everything

Kyou

Digital only doesn't bother me in the least.

Edit: I wonder how much of this is because MH3U digital sales outdid retail

Marcel

Club Nintendo still isn't available everywhere.

That's why I said it's not perfect. Downloading from the eShop is buyer beware territory. Since my 3DS rarely goes far, I can't say it bothers me. The angry anti-digital luddites in here are laughable, though.

Level 5 get off your ass and release Layton vs PW soon!
as dat glorious boxed copy
Given Nintendo is already skipping ahead to Arzan Legacies and Capcom's foregoing retail for even the mainline AA series, my guess is the only way you'll see this game published at all is by Level 5 doing it themselves as an eShop exclusive.

wrowa

I'm okay with digital only (... at least I would be, if Nintendo's service wouldn't be so awful), but it's very disappointing to see the series being so small that a retail release apparently isn't viable anymore.

I refuse to believe that AA5 would sell worse at stores than a lot of the garbage that's on the 3DS shelves out there. :(

Top Bottom