• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies hitting the West [Digital Only Confirmed]

Noi

Only hoop I'm aware of is contacting Nintendo with proof of purchase. Is it different in the NA? I mean that sounds only barely legal.

We've had stories here where a Nintendo customer service rep can clearly see the customer's digital purchase history, knows with 100% certainty that the person on the phone is the owner of said history, yet they still refuse to do a transfer. They make "exceptions" here and there, but otherwise, that is the official stance Nintendo has on the matter.

Meanwhile, I could lose/have stolen or break my PSP/Vita/PS3 today and I could simply buy another and re-download all my digital games. No fuzz, no hassle, no having to call up Sony with a police report to plead my case and get my games back.

I need this game. Digitally only is awful, considering I have every AA game (with case) released in NA... But I need this game. I would've preferred AAI2 digitally and a physical copy of AA5.

Midou

Will probably still buy, but I bet they will see suffering sales for DD only and once again have a reason to complain about AA sales, god dammit Capcpom. It's hard to get excited knowing they are likely sending it out to die.

Ath

On a positive note, I do like the name they gave to Winston Payne's brother, Gaspen :p Glad to see the puns are still as excellent as ever.

I want to believe that this reaction to a digital-only release will show Capcom that there's demand for a physical print run too, but I'd be a foolishly foolish fool to really believe that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is fucking awful news. I hate buying a digital release when a boxed version of it exists somewhere. I guess I'll just buy a boxed copy of the JP version.

It's even less enticing considering Nintendo's absolutely deplorable digital distribution policies.

Right, I think their size is the issue.

They're not small enough to where they find every sale worthwhile like an XSEED, but they're not big enough to be a secure title to release at retail.

They must have run business models and determined this made the most sense for them.

Square Enix for example also only releases their PC titles digitally in North America. If they were localizing Bravely Default themselves, they might go the same route, but Nintendo is so they're actually making a retail release (to our knowledge).

Quite true, but the super niche audience for those titles might care more about a physical release, which is why the pre-orders also often have extra physical goodies.

But PC digital sales are growing more and more. 3DS digital sales must be still quite low on average. Some Nintendo games did ok,but we lack numbers for most other titles.

XPE

I'm not too happy with DD only but if thats what it takes to get it in the west then so be it.

New voice actor for Pheonix as well, sounds pretty good.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeesh dudes I've bought 100% of my 3DS via DD after NSMB2. On a handheld it's totally the way to go. The only time you'd ever possibly end up hosed by the account system is if you actually lose your 3DS somewhere. They're fine about letting you redownload if your system breaks and you send it in to them.

Hero

Didn't we confirm before that AAI sold pretty much on par for an AA game and that Sven was just making up bullshit about the low numbers for the game?

Regardless this a dumb decision.

Vamphuntr

I hope the build in the trailer is a work in progress. It seems to use a new awful font because the text box doesn't appear to be expanded in this one. Previous AA localizations had an expanded text box compared to the Japanese release to fit the text in (the text box ix much bigger in the localized versions).

Sandfox

Will probably still buy, but I bet they will see suffering sales for DD only and once again have a reason to complain about AA sales, god dammit Capcpom. It's hard to get excited knowing they are likely sending it out to die.

They'll probably change their expectations if its DD only and if people still care about the series it'll do decent.

Tagg9

Disappointed with digital-only, as it will certainly affect their sales. Oh well, I'm happy to be getting the game in any form.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sucks, but I kinda understand it. The initial US supply shortages of the first game made the series seem a lot more popular here than it actually ever was. I saw plenty of copies of each subsequent release just gathering dust on shelves for months and years until stores clearanced 'em out.

On the bright side: Maybe if this does well, they'll give EX Troopers a digital release instead of no release?

Tadale

If digital only is the only way it's financially feasible, then I'll take it. But I'd rather have a boxed release.

Is full loop back to Phoenix Wright 1, when Capcom don´t put fate launching the game.
Capcom never had faith in the Ace Attorney series.

Anyway, I don't like digital downloads, although I do make exceptions. But this... I just don't know how to feel. Especially since it involves eshop.

I wished for AA5 this year and lo and behold it's actually happened, except with the digital downside, I must've wished on a monkey's paw.

We're lucky to be getting this at all. Considering how badly AAI sold, it's totally reasonable Capcom want to cut back on costs as much as possible by avoiding a physical release.

Midou

They'll probably change their expectations if its DD only and if people still care about the series it'll do decent.

I bought the original DS for this franchise, so I care about it a whole lot, but having a copy that can disappear if something happens to my system is pretty fucked up. It feels like some kind of extended rental.

We're lucky to be getting this at all. Considering how badly AAI sold, it's totally reasonable Capcom want to cut back on costs as much as possible by avoiding a physical release.

AAI was a spin-off anyways, so it's not entirely fair. I guess my real anger is towards Nintendo for having the worst possible 'account' system. If this was a Vita game with digital only, I would not even bat an eye.

Marcel

On the bright side: Maybe if this does well, they'll give EX Troopers a digital release instead of no release?

EX Troopers has some really novice programming thing where ALL the text is actually hardcoded into Japanese, making an English release near impossible.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeesh dudes I've bought 100% of my 3DS via DD after NSMB2. On a handheld it's totally the way to go. The only time you'd ever possibly end up hosed by the account system is if you actually lose your 3DS somewhere. They're fine about letting you redownload if your system breaks and you send it in to them.
...did you read this post before you hit submit?
One of the anti-digital luddites in another DD thread called buying games from the eShop "dangerous", so you must be public enemy number one. :p
Because people who are against using Nintendo's backwards online shop system that wouldn't even be acceptable in the late 90s must be "luddites" -- lol.

On a handheld it's totally the way to go.

Not in the uk. Stupid nintendo pricing.

Anyway... So uh, notice the words around the rhino in the top left of this picture?
wpFJxR9.jpg

Sendou

We've had stories here where a Nintendo customer service rep can clearly see the customer's digital purchase history, knows with 100% certainty that the person on the phone is the owner of said history, yet they still refuse to do a transfer. They make "exceptions" here and there, but otherwise, that is the official stance Nintendo has on the matter.

Meanwhile, I could lose/have stolen or break my PSP/Vita/PS3 today and I could simply buy another and re-download all my digital games. No fuzz, no hassle, no having to call up Sony with a police report to plead my case and get my games back.

Wow that sounds rash. Was that in North America? Though wouldn't you still want to file a police report if your console was stolen?

There's no question that Nintendo is backward as shit with their online "efforts"

Not in the uk. Stupid nintendo pricing.

That's why you import one from NA. After that basically everything on eShop is good 20-30% cheaper than local retail here.

serplux

But PC digital sales are growing more and more. 3DS digital sales must be still quite low on average. Some Nintendo games did ok,but we lack numbers for most other titles.

There are quite a number of games that have sold >50,000 on the eShop in the US alone (from extrapolation). Doubt that Ace Attorney 5 was ever going to do a whole lot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One of the anti-digital luddites in another DD thread called buying games from the eShop "dangerous", so you must be public enemy number one. :p

Well, considering your purchases aren't tied to an account where you can retrieve the game any time you want, I wouldn't exactly call it a sound purchase.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
...did you read this post before you hit submit?

Because people who are against using Nintendo's backwards online shop system that wouldn't even be acceptable in the late 90s must be "luddites" -- lol.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. What does that post have to do with mine?

I would pay 60-100 bucks for a crowdfunding like boxed copy incentive for both AAI2 and PW5.

I wonder if Capcom ever did one of these limited runs, how many sales it would attract. I'd guess enough to make a profit.

But probably not a big enough profit for Capcom.

:|

:(

; ;

Harlock

3DS is not fair digital only because the lack of on-line account. Too risk have the games linked only by a hardware.

Sandfox

I bought the original DS for this franchise, so I care about it a whole lot, but having a copy that can disappear if something happens to my system is pretty fucked up. It feels like some kind of extended rental.

That really only affects sales from people on sites like GAF because most people either don't know or don't concern themselves with it for whatever reason.

Top Bottom