• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies hitting the West [Digital Only Confirmed]

Noi

Yeesh dudes I've bought 100% of my 3DS via DD after NSMB2. On a handheld it's totally the way to go. The only time you'd ever possibly end up hosed by the account system is if you actually lose your 3DS somewhere. They're fine about letting you redownload if your system breaks and you send it in to them.

I love having no options in how I choose to handle my broken hardware.

would be more salty but... I'm guilty of getting most 3ds games digitally these days. That lack of tax and it hitting eshop at midnight est, vs waiting for amazon for 2 more days or so :S

serplux

Because filing fraudulent police reports and clogging up the system is totally acceptable. It shouldn't even be considered an option.

It probably causes a lot more work for customer service this way too. Still, I got my stuff back, so I'm not personally concerned. I just don't like buying retail games digitally.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont actually have a 3DS, but was goint to get one later this year specifically for this game, the new Zelda and the Layton-crossover. Now im not really sure if im going to bother, i just hate thinking about this digital-only future that is slowly invading even Nintendos systems. Still a ton of old games to get for the DS, PSP, GBA etc that can probably hold my attention for years.

Digital only combined with Nintendo's policies typing the game to one system is horrible.

Someone is seriously trying to destroy my want for this game.

kurahador

Can't they just make a limited retail release at least???
Means you have to pre-order to get one or something.

Argghh...so bitter right now.

qko

Digital only? What the fucking fuck, Capcom? Who wants to willingly use Nintendo's dogshit DD service?

Capcom maybe?

2008: Nintendo is just so awful at their digital offerings!!!

2013: Why does Nintendo have to be so awful and make it so easy for third parties to go digital only?!?!?!

Sadist

2013 release? Imma gonna be a poor 3DS owner this year

Sucks about the digital only thing. Guess I have to buy a new SD card. Can I copy all of my data to a new one btw?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's DD policies are far from good, but seriously "they wouldn't have been acceptable in the '90s?" Alright, guys.

I'm mostly upset about this because my wife & I have played all these games independently, and I can't lend my copy to her to play now. That sucks. Capcom. :/

robotnik

A test to see how viable the market is for an AA Investigations 2 digital only release.
0TT5VEb.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Come the fuck on, Capcom. Digital only? It's not like this is PSN or something where there are such modern amenities as an account system. This is Nintendo. I mean, it's awesome they're bringing the game over, but seriously, they found the ultimate buzzkill even still. Honestly I dunno that I wanna drop $40 on the eshop, even for Phoenix Wright.

Well, still enough time for them to reconsider, right?

I have a U.S region 3DS despite living in Australia because I don't want to put up with Nintendos region locking bullshit and wait years to play games that are released in the States first. Will I still be able to download this?

Noi

Wow that sounds rash. Was that in North America? Though wouldn't you still want to file a police report if your console was stolen?

There's no question that Nintendo is backward as shit with their online "efforts"

If it was stolen, sure. Fill a police report away. But they require you to get a police report even if you yourself lost the 3DS. So what, now I have to lie to the police to get my games back?

serplux

Sucks about the digital only thing. Guess I have to buy a new SD card. Can I copy all of my data to a new one btw?

Yup. Just move the folder that says "Nintendo 3DS" over to the other SD card.

If it was stolen, sure. Fill a police report away. But they require you to get a police report even if you yourself lost the 3DS. So what, now I have to lie to the police to get my games back?

Err...when I filed out my police report I just said that I lost it.

Tenki

Yes. Simply copy the files from the SD to a PC, and copy back to the new SD.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From what we've extrapolated and all, there are good numbers on 3DS eShop, even just in US and just considering the 3DS-Only Current/All-Time Chart, with games like Luigi's Mansion 2 selling 50k in its first five weeks and FE over 80k (thanks to massive shortages, but still). It's something happening quite recently, and it doesn't seem to be just due to shortages. Still, I'd have preferred much better both retail and eShop release, can't say I'm not disappointed by this. I'd be less disappointed if this translates into 29.99$/Euro as launch price, though.

However, THIS FALL?!?! AMAZING.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would pay 60-100 bucks for a crowdfunding like boxed copy incentive for both AAI2 and PW5.

I wonder if Capcom ever did one of these limited runs, how many sales it would attract. I'd guess enough to make a profit.

But probably not a big enough profit for Capcom.

:|

:(

; ;

Seriously, we need to start this. Both games on one cart. Im donating.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Remember when DS games used to have DS-themed titles? (i.e. Dual Strike, Dawn of Sorrow, etc.)

Dual Destinies = DD = Digital Distribution. I've uncovered the dirty secret in the game's title.

Kunan

Wow. As if Fall 2013 couldn't get more stacked for 3DS! Things are crazy at this point!

So glad to finally get some more Phoenix Wright :D

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No, I'm asking if you read your own post before you hit submit.

Well now I have no idea what you're even talking about.

I love having no options in how I choose to handle my broken hardware.

Does your hardware just break all the fuckin time, or what? The main reason people freak out about all this is because "oh god what if it breaks what if I lose it" and man these have GOT to be fringe cases, aren't they? I sure as hell don't go through hardware every other week. It sucks when it happens, but if the issue is that it's a bit inconvenient to resolve if it does, is that really worth all this hullabaloo? It sucks if you lose it, absolutely, I won't defend Nintendo on that system. But if it breaks, just send it in, get it fixed. To not buy stuff because you want to "handle your broken hardware differently" is stretching the limits of credulity here.

Man, I really hope they do a limited physical run or something. I'd even be able to put up with ordering it from the Capcom store if necessary.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm sorry, but I find it hillarious that people are seriously considering skipping AA5 simply because there isn't a retail version available. When did gaming become this huge political-like movement for some of you? When did it become more about collecting then actually playing? When did it become anything but playing awesome games?

It's fucking Ace Atorney 5 people. I'd buy a Graphing-calculator and play it on that if I had to.

Midou

That really only affects sales from people on sites like GAF because most people either don't know or don't concern themselves with it for whatever reason.

Fire Emblem Awakening did reasonably because I suppose a lot of people were desperate when they could not find retail or got the special edition but Phoenix Wright is certainly no where near that popular. I hope it can do well as a digital only title, and I suspect they will indeed lower their expectations.

I guess the problem is, the average consumer (who is even aware they can buy games digitally) probably assumes it works like every other account system from the past 10 years and doesn't know they'd potentially lose all their games if anything happened to their system.

mooooose

They are probably afraid the game will bomb. They'll do DD only and then probably a small run of collectors copies later so everyone doesn't bitch and moan and they aren't liable for 100k+ copies not selling.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
LOL, Only digital on a game like this, is kind of shitty, since it's not a replayable game, once you are done, it's over, but since I'm going digital only on 3DS (I'm mad, i know), no problem for me. Shitty release though... but at least it is coming.

(since Capcom is selling their premium $50 RE:R at $20 on the eshop, maybe we should wait to buy this too?)

Seronei

If you lost your console it's likely you'd lose game cartridges (in fact I'd say it's easier to lose the cartridges by themselves since they're smaller) you wouldn't get it back either. Don't pretend that it being tied to hardware makes it worse than retail because of the risk of losing your console.
There's other reasons to prefer retail over digital but everytime someone cites that as a reason I facepalm hard. Because it's doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Roto13

You know that lost item police reports are an actual thing, right? And in fact they use the same forms as stolen property reports in a lot of places?

Marcel

Well, considering your purchases aren't tied to an account where you can retrieve the game any time you want, I wouldn't exactly call it a sound purchase.

Oh, it's definitely not. I could lose the game (in my situation I think it's a very slim chance). I have problem with being "against" the eShop in a reactionary, old man yells at clouds way since this is the only way we're getting the next AA game.

I'm ok with this. As a matter of fact, I think it's a really good move, considering the market. Phoenix games had to have been a hard sell nowadays in the US.

qq more

If you lost your console it's likely you'd lose game cartridges (in fact I'd say it's easier to lose the cartridges by themselves since they're smaller) you wouldn't get it back either. Don't pretend that it being tied to hardware makes it worse than retail because of the risk of losing your console.

What?

Are we seriously defending Nintendo's tied to console online practices?

Sendou

That's a good point I guess. If you don't have a proper insurance you will probably lose them for good too.

Funny how Virtues last reward can have extensive voice acting and be released on the 3DS/Vita yet Phoenix Wright is "dead" in the west.

If you lost your console you would lost "one" game, unless you bring you games everywhere and lost them too.

Is clearly not the same....

Top Bottom