• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces E.X. Troopers for 3DS/PS3 [Website and trailer online]

Nice graphics for a 3DS game. Well, assuming those characters talking aren't 2D art. But they don't seem to be.

Too bad there are no action shots. I'm sure the story will suck if it's Lost Planet High but it could be fun.

If the gameplay setup is even much more like Monster Hunter than LP was that'd be great too.

I think they are PS3 version.

wrowa

Yep, they've certainly got a bee in their bonnet about something. Cross platform PS3/Vita just made too much sense, especially with the tools Sony is providing.
Just because Sony offers tools for Vita/PS3 cross-development doesn't mean that it financially makes sense to develop such a game. Vita's sales are horrible and there's currently nothing that would indicate a change of things. At the same time the 3DS is selling more than the other consoles combined every weak (in Japan). The decision is an easy one...

Erethian

Just because Sony offers tools for Vita/PS3 cross-development doesn't mean that it financially makes sense to develop such a game. Vita's sales are horrible and there's currently nothing that would indicate a change of things. At the same time the 3DS is selling more than the other consoles combined every weak (in Japan). The decision is an easy one...

Yeah, but if the game is being announced now and will already be playable late next month, you have to assume the platform decisions were made sometime last year.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I think they are PS3 version.
I think it will be the same outside IQ and other enhancements. Otherwise I'd expect different names like Ninokuni DS/PS3. I guess that may be announced. For now those shots don't look outside the realm of the 3DS, especially given the low quality of the scans.

I think it will be the same outside resolution. Otherwise I'd expect some different naming like Ninokuni DS/PS3. Though I guess that may be announced later. But for now those shots don't look outside the realm of the 3DS, especially given the low quality of the scans.

I hope you're right. But let's remember it's Capcom, and MT Framework showed really nice things on 3DS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope you're right. But let's remember it's Capcol, and MT Framework showed really nice things on 3DS.

we have to admit that graphically Capcom is doing great things on 3DS.
and the overall look&feel of their 3DS support is very good.

no news up to now about multiplayer modes? or have I missed something?

wsippel

Banned
Doesn't matter either way, as Capcom has their own cross platform development tools that support a lot more platforms. To them, PS3/ 3DS is about as easy as PS3/ Vita.

Doesn't matter either way, as Capcom has their own cross platform development tools that support a lot more platforms. To them, PS3/ 3DS is about as easy as PS3/ Vita.

Also, PS3/Vita should be easier because there are less "sacrifices" to do, and control scheme is nearly the same.
I'm still surprised by PS3/3DS.

Luigiv

I imagine the screenshots are grabbed straight from the MT Framework IDE rather than from any platform in particular, since that tends to be the norm (print media tends to like ultra high resolution screens). Given that the assets in this shot look 3DS level, I'm guessing the PS3 version won't be meaningfully enhanced or we'd be those assets instead.

Also, PS3/Vita should be easier because there are less "sacrifices" to do, and control scheme is nearly the same.

You have it backwards. The 3DS version is the lead version. There's no downgrading that needs to be done. The assets are optimised for the 3DS version first and then the PS3 version gets compiled with no extra effort required.

Alexios

Also, PS3/Vita should be easier because there are less "sacrifices" to do
That's assuming they wanted to take advantage of more of what the PS3 can do to begin with however. Clearly they don't have to (and the screen shows they didn't if that's indeed the PS3 version regardless of how the game ends up). Lower end visuals with the 3DS in mind are easier/cheaper if anything, not harder because of feeling like they "sacrifice" things. Though I guess it could make it a harder sell for PS3. Not that you don't have to do such sacrifices for a PS3 & Vita game either, but potentially less so. But they have another Lost Planet game that doesn't compromise for lower end platforms, and that's not getting on Vita either so far.

The controls shouldn't be an issue either. Replace right analog with touch aiming & CPP support, add a couple functions on the touch screen, done. Now if it was meant to be an exact port of LP2 you'd have a point, they'd have to shoehorn some thingss as iirc it used all the buttons and functions, but this is a new game that can have streamlined or wholly different mechanics that don't utilise as many different buttons, though they could do so on PS3 for extra shortcuts/comfort where applicable.

With low enough expectations for the visuals you can multiplatform with just about anything with little effort. Like that DS/Wii Crystal Chronicles game Square made. Or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD. Or the MGS HD Collection. Etc.

What's hard is to take a game made without the low end platform in mind and shoehorn it on it. Like Dead Rising Wii. Or for something better the Call of Duty games' Wii editions (which were admirable, really). Stuff like that.

wsippel

Banned
You're looking at the situation from the wrong angle: The PS3 version would be an up-port either way. In fact, PS3/ 3DS is probably cheaper and easier.

EDIT: What Luigiv said.

I found the scans, and one is a big shot of what looks like gameplay, where the pink haired guy is shooting enemies with two of the other characters, seems like it's in 3rd-person, though it could be a cutscene considering the cinematic angle.

I love the look so far, can't wait to see more. :D

Hopefully Capcom will bring over the game on both platforms.

Whilst that would make sense from a consumer perspective
Even on that end, I'm not sure it does today. PSP is dramatically down YOY, games aren't performing nearly as well as they used to and the platform is clearly on the way out. By the time this game releases, I can't imagine any of those conditions will have improved. It's kind of like arguing Capcom should've had Wii versions of SSF4, RER and MH3G to go alongside the 3DS versions, it's just a bit late for that.

Plus the technical stuff (no MT framework, no advanced shaders, no 2nd analog/touchscreen) that would severly limit the game we're going to get. Between all that I think it's safe to say PSP really shouldn't even be a consideration.

Amalthea

Banned
There was a rumor a few weeks ago that japanese studios started moving projects from Vita to the 3DS.

Could this be an example of that trend?

Luigiv

Even on that end, I'm not sure it does today. PSP is dramatically down YOY, games aren't performing nearly as well as they used to and the platform is clearly on the way out. By the time this game releases, I can't imagine any of those conditions will have improved. It's kind of like arguing Capcom should've had Wii versions of SSF4, RER and MH3G to go alongside the 3DS versions, it's just a bit late for that.

Plus the technical stuff (no MT framework, no advanced shaders, no 2nd analog/touchscreen) that would severly limit the game we're going to get. Between all that I think it's safe to say PSP really shouldn't even be a consideration.

Well I can't argue that PSP hardware sales aren't slowing down but at the same time, even though the userbase isn't increasing like it use to, the userbase that is there is still active and buying software. If it weren't for the obvious technical limitations a PSP version would make sense (assume the controls aren't dependant on the touchscreen/CPP/DS3).

Well I can't argue that PSP hardware sales aren't slowing down but at the same time, even though the userbase isn't increasing like it use to, the userbase that is there is still active and buying software. If it weren't for the obvious technical limitations a PSP version would make sense (assume the controls aren't dependant on the touchscreen/CPP/DS3).
PSP software sales are down dramatically too. That's in part due to the release schedule drying up but even sequels like Black Leopard 2 and SRTZ2.2 aren't doing as well as a year ago.

Besides, Wii games are still selling now even too. Mario Party 9, Dragon Quest X and Just Dance Wii 2 are going to outsell any PSP games released this year. That doesn't make Wii any less "dead" in general though.

Is it just me, or do the in-game shots look a bit too good for 3DS? I'm pretty impressed if they're actually representative of both versions.

And then there's stuff like Dead Rising 2 which, even though it sold 2.2 million copies according to Wikipedia, I don't think with the development costs and the fact that it's a yen based company, 2.2M is enough to turn a profit in a game.

2.2 million is more than enough. That's a lot of money. Especially when you add the succes of Case Zero. I don't think DR2 was a particularly expensive game to make either.

Luigiv

Is it just me, or do the in-game shots look a bit too good for 3DS? I'm pretty impressed if they're actually representative of both versions.

That's because the resolution is a lot higher then 3DS resolution, which makes a pretty big difference. The actual assets are easily within 3DS capabilities, though.

wrowa

It's definitely too clean for a 3DS game, but at first sight the geometry looks rather simple. Add aliasing here and there, imagine it in running at a lower resolution and the result should be petty accurate for what we can expect on the 3DS. The scans make it look as if the project started on the 3DS and got upported to the PS3, imo.

Posted?

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/01/who-or-what-are-capcoms-e-x-troopers/

I hope it comes to the west, looks like a nice game.
It's only been posted, like, in the OP.

"3DS/PS3"

wut.

Lol.

Really?

Not.. Vita/3DS? or...

PS3/360... Lol ok.
Handheld/Console actually makes a lot of sense. That way Capcom is releasing the game on two different markets that are complementing each other. Same can't be said about console/console or handheld/handheld.

Yeah, but if the game is being announced now and will already be playable late next month, you have to assume the platform decisions were made sometime last year.

That only shows that Capcom either predicted the development of the market right or that the game might have been once planned as a 3DS exlusive but got ported to the PS3 when they feared that last year's 3DS sales would harm the game's sales potential.

That's because the resolution is a lot higher then 3DS resolution, which makes a pretty big difference. The actual assets are easily within 3DS capabilities, though.

Well, I know about the resolution, but I just haven't seen any 3DS game that uses cel-shaded models at that quality yet. I hope so; I suppose I might have said the same about some of the high-res RE:R shots.

Alexios

The first action shot showing shooting other humans doesn't inspire confidence. This really should be the shooter equivalent to Monster Hunter, with the main difference being, well, the shooting (I quite liked how Peace Walker's MonHun bosses worked out with shooter elements, even though I prefer MonHun's melees), and then flavor stuff like, you don't take monster parts to make gear out of them but to have people analyse them and research weapons and defenses that work best against that type of monster etc. I mean, I'm not against it also having multiplayer team deathmatch modes or whatever else, these would work a lot better here than they would in Monster Hunter of course, but that would just be supplementary to awesome PvE, it's not like they can hope to establish this over already popular PvP FPS. And having that stuff in single player or co-op levels, making them play like bot matches just isn't that fun to me. Trying to get a Monster Hunter caliber fix for fans who like third person shooters would be a good idea as I doubt it would compete with that series and it would also be different to most other Monster Hunter clones.

will this game have on-cart dlc?

lp3reggiecoffee.jpg

Mondriaan

That only shows that Capcom either predicted the development of the market right or that the game might have been once planned as a 3DS exlusive but got ported to the PS3 when they feared that last year's 3DS sales would harm the game's sales potential.
Maybe this is a Capcom test to see which platform is going to get future Resident Evil games.

The catch is that these will all be Operation Raccoon City type games.

Top Bottom