• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces TGS 2016 lineup

gotta agree with some folks here, Capcom should have at least added a 'mystery title' slot for the line-up.

As expected DMC5 is probably gonna be announced on a random tuesday, PSX, and finally E3 2017

why do people always think companies are just going to throw out the names of games they haven't announced yet when they announce show lineups?

DrArchon

Im hoping to see what the next MH mainline game is

Expecting it to be announced and excited to see where it will be

MHX was released a while ago in Japan, so I'd make sense to at least get a tease for MH5, unless MH5 is going to be NX exclusive and they're waiting on Nintendo to pull the trigger on that.

I'm thinking we might get another MH spinoff before we see MH5.

//ARCANUM

Does anyone have any idea where registration/info for the actual Street Fighter V tournament is at TGS? I can't find info ANYWHERE other than what day it's on on capcomprotour.com

Sesha

DMC5 at E3 2017, believe. Capcom's plate is full already. Any surprise announcements would have to be Deep Down, a new MH (as one was scheduled for the latter half of FY2016) or a proper reveal for RE2make.

I wonder if we'll see our first proper gameplay of RE7, since the last trailer was supposedly of another video puzzle sequence.

A new DMC is the only thing Itsuno could be working on that would make sense.

Sesha could probably pull up the Investor Report listing that backs this up (again). But suffice to say, DMC is pretty much the only "big deal" Capcom franchise that hasn't had a new game announced yet that would stand to be out by FY '17-'18, even though, RE, Sengoku BASARA and Monster Hunter have all had theirs since announced.

That said, as much as I want to believe...I wonder if they feel like the time is right, yet. Or if perhaps someone like Sony has since stepped in to scoop up exclusivity rights...

Thinks for thanking of me. I've made enough posts about DMC5's chances that this will suffice until we hear anything else. I suppose I've become the equivalent of Neoxon with his Marvel info posts.

Jawmuncher

Finally, Dino Crisis.

why do people always think companies are just going to throw out the names of games they haven't announced yet when they announce show lineups?

I don't think it's people want names, more they want to know for sure that surprises are in store.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Last one was announced how long ago? And it didn't meet expectations. It's fine for TGS to be sure though.

It's still a top franchise for Capcom. I think it was only recently edged out of the top 5 because they haven't released a new mainline game in so long. But that's what makes the current year and next so ripe.

DmC was announced at TGS 2010. DMC4SE was announced at the same time as DmCDE in December2014.

I do agree that they sort of missed a great window of opportunity to launch themselves off of the lukewarm reception of DmC and back into the classic series, but the demand is still there.

Neonep

Last one was announced how long ago? And it didn't meet expectations. It's fine for TGS to be sure though.
That had more to do with the change than the IP itself. Trust DMC5 is a very big deal. A lot of people are waiting on it. Guarantee there will be multiple threads pop up on here and articles on every gaming website when it is announced.

Some Nobody

That had more to do with the change than the IP itself. Trust DMC5 is a very big deal. A lot of people are waiting on it. Guarantee there will be multiple threads pop up on here and articles on every gaming website when it is announced.

Well, duh. I'm not arguing it's irrelevant. Just...E3 seems focused on western games and megatons. RE7 popped up because the last game did 6m...and it's for PSVR. SF V is a Sony exclusive.

Then again it could go to E3 off Sony's relationship with Capcom I suppose.

Neonep

All you need is a teaser of Dante & Vergil fighting, you know the usual. Then you see a red streak appear and it breaks them up. That red streak is Nero. Teaser ends, we see the new logo. BOOM!

It's still a top franchise for Capcom. I think it was only recently edged out of the top 5 because they haven't released a new mainline game in so long. But that's what makes the current year and next so ripe.

DmC was announced at TGS 2010. DMC4SE was announced at the same time as DmCDE in December2014.

I do agree that they sort of missed a great window of opportunity to launch themselves off of the lukewarm reception of DmC and back into the classic series, but the demand is still there.

I wonder if they're going to try to wait until it's close to release to announce it, sort of like what they've done with RE7. I fully understand not wanting to announce a game 2 years before it comes out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I wonder if they're going to try to wait until it's close to release to announce it, sort of like what they've done with RE7. I fully understand not wanting to announce a game 2 years before it comes out.

This is something they've traditionally done in recent years to avoid hype fatigue, and I'd argue it's a smart one. Resident Evil 5 was sort of the last of those Capcom titles that had multiple years between announcement and release (with almost 4 years in between).

At the same time, it makes fans needlessly antsy about what's in the pipeline. On the other hand, if they announce something and go radio silent to protect hype, they'll be accused of pulling another "deep down".

Since we already pretty much know the game is being worked on, I don't mind them being cautious with the announcement.

Neonep

Yeah that seems to be the dilemma. I would prefer that it is announced a year out. I think DMC4 was announced 2005 or 2006 and didn't come out till 2008 and DmC was announced in 2010 and didn't come out till 2013.

MacTag

Banned
MHX was released a while ago in Japan, so I'd make sense to at least get a tease for MH5, unless MH5 is going to be NX exclusive and they're waiting on Nintendo to pull the trigger on that.

I'm thinking we might get another MH spinoff before we see MH5.
My guess is MHXG being 3DS/NX multi followed by MH5 on NX only. Both announced at Nintendo's NX reveal, nothing at TGS except Stories, Spirits and mobile stuff.

Neonep

This is something they've traditionally done in recent years to avoid hype fatigue, and I'd argue it's a smart one. At the same time, it makes fans needlessly antsy about what's in the pipeline. Further, if they announce something and go radio silent to protect hype, they'll be accused of pulling another "deep down".

Since we already pretty much know the game is being worked on, I don't mind them being cautious with the announcement.
But wouldn't it depend on how they went radio silent? Like Deep Down was announced in February 2013 and it's August 2016 and we really don't know anything new outside of them saying it's coming. Also Ono is supposed to be working on that game but he's been tied up with SFV.

TreIII

This is something they've traditionally done in recent years to avoid hype fatigue, and I'd argue it's a smart one. Resident Evil 5 was sort of the last of those Capcom titles that had multiple years between announcement and release (with almost 4 years in between).

At the same time, it makes fans needlessly antsy about what's in the pipeline. On the other hand, if they announce something and go radio silent to protect hype, they'll be accused of pulling another "deep down".

True, but then again, we also have REmake2 that was officially announced earlier this year, and no clear date of when it'll be out besides "after RE7".

So, it's not like Capcom is completely against the idea of announcing something early and having the hype train go for a while because it's all part of a marketing deal. Even if a DMC wasn't going to be released until Q1 2018 (at the very latest I'd imagine), I think they could very well start the teases now and let the narrative of "(The Real) Dante's Back!" be something they allow to build over the course of 2017.

With DMC5 in particular, given the rather dicey history of the reception to both DMC4 and DmC, I think it's pretty important to get the announcement very right from a PR perspective *without* coming across as mean-spiritedly dunking on DmC or whatever (leave that part to us please, Capcom).

DMC4 had some very very serious flaws, some of which DmC tried to fix and some of which it even succeeded in fixing (mainly the fact that DMC4's environments were fairly boring-looking and its weapon variety was kinda insufficient, plus the backtracking part). It's worth showing that DMC5 is, in terms of aesthetics and design, a return to classic form while *also* (1) making it clear that it'll fix DMC4's many flaws and (2) moving the series forward in some important ways (because it *does* need modernizing - it's just that DmC kinda failed to achieve that).

In my opinion, a good easy way to communicate this to the audience (assuming an early trailer will be all about story and not so much about gameplay) is lots of callbacks to DMC3SE, the last uncontroversially great game in the series.

Aswitch

Damn no RE: Outbreak HD announcement hunh? I guess the rumors aren't true :'( They said that there was 1 more RE announcement outside from 4,5,6,7 and Umbrella Corps. Curious as to what that is then..... Good to hear that another Monster Hunter is in the works to take my life away. Boo at no DMC 5 or onimusha though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still no Resident Evil 2 Remake?
I'm really not interested in the guy that made Umbrella Chronicles next game, personally would have seen how REmake2 turns out and if good, give RE7 to them before destroying the series.

AmyS

Deep Down... bro?

As mentioned earlier, it's probably gonna be reintroduced alongside the PS4 Neo reveal (if the leak from a while back still holds up).

maxresdefault.jpg

Waiting for this.

Same here.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
With DMC5 in particular, given the rather dicey history of the reception to both DMC4 and DmC, I think it's pretty important to get the announcement very right from a PR perspective *without* coming across as mean-spiritedly dunking on DmC or whatever (leave that part to us please, Capcom).

DMC4 had some very very serious flaws, some of which DmC tried to fix and some of which it even succeeded in fixing (mainly the fact that DMC4's environments were fairly boring-looking and its weapon variety was kinda insufficient, plus the backtracking part). It's worth showing that DMC5 is, in terms of aesthetics and design, a return to classic form while *also* (1) making it clear that it'll fix DMC4's many flaws and (2) moving the series forward in some important ways (because it *does* need modernizing - it's just that DmC kinda failed to achieve that).

In my opinion, a good easy way to communicate this to the audience (assuming an early trailer will be all about story and not so much about gameplay) is lots of callbacks to DMC3SE, the last uncontroversially great game in the series.

The initial reveal can be pretty simple. They just need to establish a foundation of expectations. I personally think that classic Dante needs to be front and center. Maybe a hint of Gothic architecture and darker overall themes. And naturally some stylish action. It just needs to deliver the message to the audience that Dante is back in a succinct and effective way.

but I definitely agree that further promotional materials really need to hone in on what people loved about the past games, and as you've pointed out, and DMC3 was probably a high point for most.

The biggest issue is the time gap between Devil May Cry 4 and the potential Devil May Cry 5. Again, assuming that they are doing right by DMC 5, we won't see a release until close to 2019. That's eleven years. They need to start doing something soon.

I think that's partly why they released DMC4SE. It's been almost 8 goddammit years since the last mainline classic DMC. A lot of the player base never played DMC or hasn't played one in almost a decade. I feel like DMC4SE was meant to be a refresher back into the classic franchise. It only makes sense. Why else would that announcement come out of the blue and essentially eclipsing DmCDE's reveal trailer?

True, but then again, we also have REmake2 that was officially announced earlier this year, and no clear date of when it'll be out besides "after RE7".

So, it's not like Capcom is completely against the idea of announcing something early and having the hype train go for a while because it's all part of a marketing deal. Even if a DMC wasn't going to be released until Q1 2018 (at the very latest I'd imagine), I think they could very well start the teases now and let the narrative of "(The Real) Dante's Back!" be something they allow to build over the course of 2017.

I feel like RE2remake almost serves as a buffer for RE7. If you are apprehensive about the new direction for RE7, at least you've got this classic heading your way! I will admit that the way they went about RE2remake was peculiar, but I think they did it with RE7 in mind.

But wouldn't it depend on how they went radio silent? Like Deep Down was announced in February 2013 and it's August 2016 and we really don't know anything new outside of them saying it's coming. Also Ono is supposed to be working on that game but he's been tied up with SFV.

Definitely. But they're just asking for comparisons and accusations if they announce something early and decide to not reveal much. Basically, they're going to get flak either way, but it's easier to deal with flak on an unannounced game than it is on something that's been revealed and in the oven for years.

GSR

I put 60-40 odds on The Great Ace Attorney 2 popping up. Given how the first game was clearly designed as entry one in the series I imagine it's been in production for a while, but I do wonder if the first game's sales and AA6 being a step down from AA5 sales-wise might not lead Capcom to tap the brakes on yearly Ace Attorney.

Neonep

For anybody that is really looking forward to Deep Down, could you explain to me the intrigue because I just don't get it.

Shin-chan

If DMC is announced I really hope it's a RE situation where it's releasing very immediately. At the same time, I really hope they don't leave much to the imagination as to what the game is. There's so much confusion over the new direction for RE and after the false start of a reboot they can't afford that with DMC.

So on top of it being a return to classic elements (original Dante v Vergil, gothic architecture and dark colour scheme, stylish deep combat, great bosses and enemy design).

Something I'm curious about is if they continue with the more "clowny" elements of the series (Uncle Dante etc) or if they refocus on the more horror ambience of the first game, which really worked for it. Maybe they'll find a way to mix the two in a convincing and entertaining way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Something I'm curious about is if they continue with the more "clowny" elements of the series (Uncle Dante etc) or if they refocus on the more horror ambience of the first game, which really worked for it. Maybe they'll find a way to mix the two in a convincing and entertaining way.

I think a lot of people believe it's one or the other, but DMC has always been about having elements of Gothic horror subverted by an unimpressed super powered protagonist. It was more subdued in 1, but whether the approach is more slapstick or cheesy, it's always been a theme throughout the entire series.

Shin-chan

I think a lot of people believe it's one or the other, but DMC has always been about having elements of Gothic horror subverted by an unimpressed super powered protagonist. It was more subdued in 1, but whether the approach is more slapstick or cheesy, it's always been a theme throughout the entire series.

For myself, I think I could do with the more subdued version from the first game - just with more personality (and overall more plot). I don't particularly like DMC3 Dante, even though I do genuinely enjoy the story (it's the best CAG story next to W101). The horror elements make the original world more memorable.

I really hope they don't go down the Christopher Nolan gritty route with it like they sort of tried with Ninja Theory.

TreIII

I think that's partly why they released DMC4SE. It's been almost 8 goddammit years since the last mainline classic DMC. A lot of the player base never played DMC or hasn't played one in almost a decade. I feel like DMC4SE was meant to be a refresher back into the classic franchise. It only makes sense. Why else would that announcement come out of the blue and essentially eclipsing DmCDE's reveal trailer?

Agreed. Of course, by now, it's already been more than a year since 4SE came out. It was a nice thing to garner some hype and attention, but since then, nothing else. Not even a new manga, another stageplay or whatever to help keep up the attention on the brand.

The RE-masters, and everything else in between, were clearly used as a means to lead up to RE7 and anything else RE-related that may release in the next few months through 2017. Not seeing much else for DMC, however. Even a re-release of the HD Collection for PS4/XB1 would be something, even if it, too, is nothing "new". Hell, I'd like it anyway, so I could do more to retire my PS3 for good...

I feel like RE2remake almost serves as a buffer for RE7. If you are apprehensive about the new direction for RE7, at least you've got this classic heading your way! I will admit that the way they went about RE2remake was peculiar, but I think they did it with RE7 in mind.

And perhaps that is true (or has some elements of truth). But again, I guess my thing is, Capcom doesn't have any problem defying the "short time from announcement to release cycle" anymore than Nintendo does, when it suits them, anyway.

All I, and I think any decent fan with reasonable expectations, would just like a title card and short rendered animation of Dante, so as to say "Hey. We working on this thing. Now y'all can stop worrying about the brand's future and start getting hyped!"

Top Bottom