• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Arcade Cabinet coming to all major game platforms in 2013

Game Guru

A dollar a game is terrible?

I think he's complaining about how you need to buy tokens to play games... except that not only can someone buy the game outright for $0.99 and thus no longer need any tokens for it, but that 10 tokens for $0.99 is a lot cheaper than what one had paid for a play at an arcade back in the day. There isn't much bad with that Capcom Arcade iOS app other than the usual flaw of smartphones not having buttons.

A dollar a game is terrible?
Oh, I misunderstood the concept of the game I guess.

I assumed that the way it worked is that you spent a dollar for a limited amount of the time with the game, after which you'd have to fork out another dollar ad infinitum to continue playing.

I wonder why they even bother with tokens if you can buy the game outright, then.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Oh, I misunderstood the concept of the game I guess.

I assumed that the way it worked is that you spent a dollar for a limited amount of the time with the game, after which you'd have to fork out another dollar ad infinitum to continue playing.

I wonder why they even bother with tokens if you can buy the game outright, then.

Buy super ghost and goblins for a dollar or spend 10 bucks in tokens on it? :p Yeah kinda weird ass concept

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Buy super ghost and goblins for a dollar or spend 10 bucks in tokens on it? :p Yeah kinda weird ass concept

Not really, Xbox Game Room had a similiar set-up: You could either buy the games for 3/5 dollars, of pay for a virtual quater, and play it limitedly.

Gave the option to replicate a real arcade experience, and maybe get a larger amount of play for, say, 2 dollars across multiple games, than some people would ever think to actually spend with arcade classics.

Also, you could "challenge" people to score runs and stuff per game, so being able to accept a friendly challenge, for 25 cents, VS having to fully pay for a game you didn't own, was a nice option.

Gameroom also changed over time, though; from a "Buy a single Xbox License / pc / both!" structure (with different cost for 1 or multi license), to later becoming a flat, cheaper price for both.

I wonder if Capcom has any dreams in this regard? Very unlikely in some ways, but if they allowed a purchase in this arcade to apply to all interconnected devices (such as all SEN / PSN purchases would work on Vita, and PS3, maybe even mobile, and all XBLA purchases worked on Surface, XBLA, Windows Phone, and Windows 8), that'd be a pretty nice way for things to work out...

Galdelico

SAB, your post made me realise how awesome would have been if this project could be integrated into Game Room, on XBLA... I know it's not gonna happen, I'm just thinking about this scenario. Emulation, there, was brilliant too.

As an aside, Game Room - as well as NeoGeo Station - was another potentially great project, left to die just when it was becoming really interesting.

zmet

I hope they don't use the Playstation version of Ghouls'n Ghosts that was in the Capcom Classics Collection. The gamma on that version was way off.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SAB, your post made me realise how awesome would have been if this project could be integrated into Game Room, on XBLA... I know it'n not gonna happen, I'm just thinking about this scenario. Emulation, there, was brilliant too.

As an aside, Game Room - as well as NeoGeo Station - was another potentially great project, left to die just when it was becoming really interesting.

Yeah, I really was a fan of gameroom, and I think it was a great idea. I finally got to play Twinbee and a few unknown-to-me classics thanks to it, too, so I appreciate it's short time here on this earth, ha. (Never got my Sunset Riders... :( )

NeoGeo Station would work out SO much better if they'd get it to work with Cross-Buy / Cross Play now... (I'd love some SNKP on my Vita) And I hated the fact that SNK Mini's didn't allow for multiplayer (No Co Op in POW, no Kensou in Psychic Soldier... argh.) A V.2 (with a price-cut on the original stuff) would be great...

... At any rate, though, I do hope Capcom is more dedicated to this than to simply release the Capcom Classics collection 1 games on it. Would totally be in this for King of Dragons / Knights of the Round / Captain Commando / Battle Circuit! All the Pinball Arcade / Pinball FX style things prove this approach to constantly-growing "shell" releases can work, hopefully, Capcom can be the first to get it right (with Sega coming in second with their SVC collections: love them individually, but would be better if they'd inter-connect somehow!)

If they don't have unlimited continues this will be a shot in the foot...

If it's similiar to Gameroom, it should allow you to access some "dipswitch" settings, hopefully. They also offered ranked (limited continues) and unranked (Unlimited Free Play) modes, so maybe this will do something similiar....

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think this is related to the Capcom arcade cabinet, Capcom has rated some games via ESRB:

- Ghosts n' Goblins
- SonSon
- Black Tiger
- Commando
- Legendary Wings
- Section Z
- Vulgus

Although they're only rated for PS3 and 360.

gunstarhero

If they don't have unlimited continues this will be a shot in the foot...

That would suck actually - but realistic in a way (provided you had unlimited quarters to play a game back in the day).

And incremental increase in continues would be the best approach. The more you play, the more credits you earn to play.

I think this is related to the Capcom arcade cabinet, Capcom has rated some games via ESRB:

- Ghosts n' Goblins
- SonSon
- Black Tiger
- Commando
- Legendary Wings
- Section Z
- Vulgus

I'm on board for almost all of those games - except for maybe Black Tiger since I bought it on Wii VC. I'm really looking forward to Section Z, since the NES version was VERY different from the arcade version.

Unlimited continues is probably the worst thing ever for arcade games.

That would suck actually - but realistic in a way (provided you had unlimited quarters to play a game back in the day).

And incremental increase in continues would be the best approach. The more you play, the more credits you earn to play.

That's the main reason I'd want to buy them, to play them and possibly see the endings. I think I play these old Arcadey games a bit too much. I got all the achievements in Konami's XBLA X-Men port, which involved playing it with every character once, and I still play that game from time to time to the end. I like the charm of the titles, I was frustrated with CCC1's game forcing you to start the level all over if you continue.

beje

Banned
I really hope "Three Wonders" is in: Midnight Wanderers + Chariot + Don't Pull would be an epic blast from the past for me.

Baron

- Ghosts n' Goblins
- SonSon
- Black Tiger
- Commando
- Legendary Wings
- Section Z
- Vulgus

I feel like every time a company starts up another "classic games" thing they drag out the same 10 or so games to start it off with ad infinitum. Why? Why not kick it off with some style and excitement - some Street Fighter 2 with online play to get the casuals excited, then some great new old arcade games...Capcom has such a rich stable of arcade history and they want us to get excited about playing Ghosts n' Goblins again?

bjork

I feel like every time a company starts up another "classic games" thing they drag out the same 10 or so games to start it off with ad infinitum. Why? Why not kick it off with some style and excitement - some Street Fighter 2 with online play to get the casuals excited, then some great new old arcade games...Capcom has such a rich stable of arcade history and they want us to get excited about playing Ghosts n' Goblins again?

I feel like SF2 has been trotted out just as much as Ghosts n Goblins, if not more so.

Baron

I feel like SF2 has been trotted out just as much as Ghosts n Goblins, if not more so.

The SF2 part of my post wasn't the point of what I was trying to say. I agree with your sentiments about SF2. I don't give a fuck about SF2. However, I also want this thing to succeed, and look at things like Game Room on 360 that fizzled and died - I'd argue it was because it was too niche. These "classic game platforms" need games with broad appeal. Everyone loves SF2. It doesn't get anymore broad than that. Moving on.

Then they can give us games like UN Squadron, Strider, and Alien vs. Predator. Publishers always start these services by trotting out their earliest, crudest games, but they never last long enough to get to the good stuff that was made later. I like 80s arcade games. I grew up in the 80s playing said games. But I can play those games via several older collections and various other means right now. And I also feel pretty confident predicting that this platform won't ever even make it out of the 80s games to some of the 90s content that's never been released and I' ve been dying to play for years.

Which is a shame.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There's probably no chance in hell this'll include their licensed beat-em-ups. Which is really the only thing that would prompt me to buy it.

bjork

The SF2 part of my post wasn't the point of what I was trying to say. I agree with your sentiments about SF2. I don't give a fuck about SF2. However, I also want this thing to succeed, and look at things like Game Room on 360 that fizzled and died - I'd argue it was because it was too niche. These "classic game platforms" need games with broad appeal. Everyone loves SF2. It doesn't get anymore broad than that. Moving on.

Then they can give us games like UN Squadron, Strider, and Alien vs. Predator. Publishers always start these services by trotting out their earliest, crudest games, but they never last long enough to get to the good stuff that was made later. I like 80s arcade games. I grew up in the 80s playing said games. But I can play those games via several older collections and various other means right now. And I also feel pretty confident predicting that this platform won't ever even make it out of the 80s games to some of the 90s content that's never been released and I' ve been dying to play for years.

Which is a shame.

Oh, I agree. And I feel you on Game Room, I'm one of the few who bothered to 1000/1000 it. :p Though, I wish it was like Game Room in the sense that GR had arcade and console stuff... imagine if they nailed down the rights to reissue all the old Disney stuff, I'd be all over it.

But yeah, I'd love to have access to stuff that came later on. Hopefully they don't leave this thing out to dry if it's not a runaway hit initially.

Caporale

Banned
Guessing they'll use MAME at least for the PC version.

Yup. Even if they're not actually using MAME, you know they were looking at the source code.

It's really hard to get excited about this, though, when these games have all been emulated well for so long (including the licensed games). This is yet another example of official channels failing to offer as good an experience as unofficial channels.

The only real advantage this can have over MAME is internet play.

Tizoc

As far as I know, as is, there aren't any perfect/near perfect arcade ports of Hyper Fighting and Super Turbo, both considered to be the best versions of SF2.

We're never gonna get any of those awesome licensed Capcom arcade games, are we?

I love how Konami cared enough to re-release X-Men and Simpsons, but Capcom refuses to give us AVP, Punisher, D&D, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, etc...

We're never gonna get any of those awesome licensed Capcom arcade games, are we?

I love how Konami cared enough to re-release X-Men and Simpsons, but Capcom refuses to give us AVP, Punisher, D&D, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, etc...

You'd think Punisher would relatively easy to work out for them, given they've already worked with Marvel to re-release some of their fighters already.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
You'd think Punisher would relatively easy to work out for them, given they've already worked with Marvel to re-release some of their fighters already.

Its all about those licenses! It the one reason why they released a second mvc3 in the same year... they only had the license for 1 year. This means each licensed game has to get approved by the third party and they have to pay again for the license... so yeah prob not going to happen with these packs!

Tenki

boo-this-man.gif

I'd have bought it on Wii U just to play on the Gamepad. Too bad.

So far :

Avengers
Black Dragon
Exed Exes
Gun.Smoke
Legendary Wings
Makaimura
Mercs
Pirate Ship Higemaru
Section Z
Side Arms Hyper Dyne
SonSon
Trojan

16 more games to be revealed right?.

Am I alone is my disappointment every time one of these collections is announced? It's never the collection I'm looking for.

Like the Powerstone Collection, or the Sega Model 3 collection. When those show up, I'm all in.

Top Bottom