• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Isn't that how a fighter should work? An unskilled individual should lose almost immediately to an expert...

Please stop messing with the timeline further. Post SFIII thanks.

• Ryu is Ansatsuken master
  • Kill Gouken again
  • Bring on Mel and Datta, another new generation if you will.
  • No gems or bullshit like that
  • 2D? (I know, I know)
  • Practical tutorials, VF still nails this
  • Bring back the standard single player modes. Makes no sense to leave them out.
  • No hand holding, babyfied nonsene without the option to turn them off and avoid them in online matches
  • Personally, bring back parries or rework them such that it doesn't mean newbies won't stand a chance. Focus was okay but I don't really like it.
  • Another personal dislike, Ultras. Not fond of them.

A lot of this sounds good to me. That's what I loved about SF3, the series showing progression in story/characters/movesets/etc. I understand SF4 going nostalgic got sales (at first), but I don't think it's wise to ride nostalgia forever.

Perhaps. I don't see the point of of condemning a game that is only in early planning based on highly speculative stuff.

I have updated the title to reflect the current status of the news. Regardless of what Ono says, it was a legit news report based on comments by the company's COO. If they can't get their own story straight, that's their fault, not the media's. Ono denying it does imply that there's a rift between what the management would desire and what the developers want though, so that might be good news for consumers assuming the developers are left alone.

I'd be happy to publically condemn what the game could be like, if it could mean preventing it from becoming like that. I wonder what the reception for SFxT would've been if they knew about the set up for gems around the beginning of production; honestly that might've gone either way in reception, but who knows.

It's nice that Ono probably doesn't want it, but someone above him saying they want it doesn't give me much hope for the game, unless the COO is going to retract his statement, and even then I'll still be weary.

And more than SFxT, it's several trends going on that make it easy to see it happening, including Capcom's increasing foray in mobile, other fighting franchises maybe looking into the same structure (hopefully not), and it being a common industry trend too.

I wish I could trust Capcom like I used to, but as I don't like trends like any kind of pay2win, I don't know now.

VariantX

Isn't that how a fighter should work? An unskilled individual should lose almost immediately to an expert...

That's why you need good matchmaking to keep these two groups of people from ever meeting in the first place. Hopefully it'd never be as awful as it was in the marvel games again.

Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

If this is legitimate, this could singlehandedly ruin SF5. Very bad idea. Gems? Tons of DLC? Pay to WIn Mechanics possibly??? Honestly, I HIGHLY doubt they would make a major fighter like SF5 with Pay to Win mechanics. Ok, hopefully, it is not true. Also, is this still coming out in 2018 or whatever?

Furyous

I'm all for pay to win as long as it's on smartphones. If you want to cheat to win in a free smartphone game then go ahead. Leave my $60 SF5 alone.

DedValve

Banned
I feel SF4 tried to do the watercolor look and gave up so went an ordinary look with only 1 watercolor move. I would actually really enjoy a watercolor SF that actually has watercolor.

DedValve

Banned

Fighting is based on real life. And in real life, money wins. *throws a wad of cash at your face* there. your dead. Point proven.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to wait in anticipation to hire pro-tourney players to summon with cash everytime I'm in danger of losing in SF4! I'm paying to win already! Thanks Cacpcom!

old

I'm okay with this in principal. It is a great joy to not pay for any advantages and yet beat someone who did pay for those advantages. At my skill level in shooter games a fair fight is dulled by the predictable outcome but an unfair fight rekindles the challenge.

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

Textbook wrong approach. Ono has clarified it as not true, so hopefully that's the end of it.

If it is F2P, cosmetics only is really the only way it could work.

Sayad

Then hire a decent artist. Love SF4 but it's so damn ugly compared to BlazBlue and GG. Either stay full 2D or go the MK route with more realistic looks
Come on now, BB 2D sprites/animation are as much an insult to good art as SF4 artstyle... With the exception of Rose, nothing is as ugly as SF4 Rose.

Imagine this function on FIFA. You can be Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini in the flesh + decide where the next campaign for the next virtual World Cup will be played and all!

smurfx

get some go again
even if ono denies the claim it doesn't mean they won't force him to put the pay2win mechanic in there. ono has mentioned that he's practically had to beg capcom to get some games into development in the past. in order for sf5 to get funding he might have to listen to some of their demands and work around the crap they force him to put into the game.

Skab

even if ono denies the claim it doesn't mean they won't force him to put the pay2win mechanic in there. ono has mentioned that he's practically had to beg capcom to get some games into development in the past. in order for sf5 to get funding he might have to listen to some of their demands and work around the crap they force him to put into the game.

You're quite the pessimist.

Westlo

Honestly you would expect them too look at this, same way sony looked at drm for the ps3 and ps4. Whet the they implement it or hit is the redl question.

Still gotta lol at the idea of p2w bridging a skill gap. a top sf player with an auto block gem >>>>>>>> some random scrub with the same gem.

Seijuro

Has anyone read this pay-to-win stuff in the japanese text? In addition to ono's tweet it's probably just a mistake in translation.
I just had it read to me by someone who can read japanese; and he read it as something like "looking into ways players don't have to remember moves", which seems more like (CvS2's) Easy Operation Mode which they are selling seperately.... This would make sense for new players to come to terms with the game and seasoned players won't care.

tbm24

Ono had to beg to get SF4 greenlit because they didn't thing it would be lucrative. Ono clearly proved them very wrong. He won't have to do any begging(despite how SFxT turned out, lucky for Ono SF4 has turned out to have long legs). Clearly SF5 has been greenlit, funding isn't a problem otherwise it wouldn't be. So if he says it's not being considered, then it's not being considered.

Has anyone read this pay-to-win stuff in the japanese text? In addition to ono's tweet it's probably just a mistake in translation.
I just had it read to me by someone who can read japanese; and he read it as something like "looking into ways players don't have to remember moves", which seems more like (CvS2's) Easy Operation Mode which they are selling seperately.... This would make sense for new players to come to terms with the game and seasoned players won't care.

That's interesting actually. Maybe kinda like BB's and GG's "simple mode" feature. This is actually what my gf uses whenever she wants to play.

Shengar

The fact that this Pay-to-win ever got into consideration for game design shows how rotten Capcom is.
Japanese video game industry, how low will you sunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom