• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom cuts content (local co-op) from PC version of Revelations 2.

TheBlade

Neo Member
Great work Sectus! I remember when I worked on the mod that brought Resident Evil 5 split-screen to PC!

Guys!

It looks like Capcom have added new branches to the Steam version of Resident Evil Revelations 2. To quote "qa_split*" this is suggestive of split-screen. I'm guessing due to all the complaints, Capcom are making it an official patch?

We sure did show them a lesson not to con PC players this should be done more often.

Velurian

Well, as a gaming company I'd feel shame if after a few days of my BS public announcment about how its impossible to provide decent resolution or input or any other feature some "random guy" just posts up a fix... like "hey, took a few minutes of thinking, but this should help" :p

me0wish

Great work Sectus! I remember when I worked on the mod that brought Resident Evil 5 split-screen to PC!

Guys!

It looks like Capcom have added new branches to the Steam version of Resident Evil Revelations 2. To quote "qa_split*" this is suggestive of split-screen. I'm guessing due to all the complaints, Capcom are making it an official patch?

We sure did show them a lesson not to con PC players this should be done more often.

It shall be done again if RE5: Gold lacks local multi-player.

Sectus

Guys!

Yeah, that can't mean anything but a split screen build. That makes me tempted to stop working on my mod for a while in case Capcom adds full local coop support for campaign and raid mode, as it'll be redundant for me to do so. At least my mod is fully working with episode 1 campaign right now.

I hope this convinces Capcom to be smarter in the future. If they have a feature 99% implemented and it would trivial to finish, then why not finish it? Even if it's a small percentage of PC gamers who will use it.

TheBlade

Neo Member

I ported Gold Edition stages/characters from Xbox to PC final RE5 engine partially as well :) It had some problems since there's a lot more to Gold Edition than the assets alone (it lacks most of the code for game/ai logic etc thus is pointless and it got canned). I'm glad they're finally bringing it to PC though and cannot wait at all.

Yeah, that can't mean anything but a split screen build. That makes me tempted to stop working on my mod for a while in case Capcom adds full local coop support for campaign and raid mode, as it'll be redundant for me to do so. At least my mod is fully working with episode 1 campaign right now.

I hope this convinces Capcom to be smarter in the future. If they have a feature 99% implemented and it would trivial to finish, then why not finish it? Even if it's a small percentage of PC gamers who will use it.

Oh, don't stop :) I'm pretty sure you'll beat Capcom at making a flawless co-op offline experience. P.S I tried to mod myself into the menus, it looks like the code itself is disabled as it does nothing (like for RE5).

Regards.

Nillansan

Great work Sectus, thank you!

Good news, I'll pick it up once the fix goes live.

Except next time Capcom might learn there lesson a different way , by not listing split screen as a feature at all. I hope i am wrong, because I want RE 5 Gold split screen too.

I am tired of resorting to mods to get experiences in the game that should have been included in the first place. This is a shameful, lazy practice that needs to stop. Some big name companies like Valve, Capcom, and Gearbox have been guilty of it and it needs to stop.

Valves push for the living room is obvious. With Big Picture Mode, in home streaming, Steam Machines, and Steam Controllers more gamers, including me, are going to expect feature parity between the console version and the PC version.

If Valve and third party partners like Capcom are going to be successful in this initiative they are going to have to earn the trust from those of us who enjoy PC gaming on our televisions.

Capcom here is my message to you:

Thank you for wanting to make it right with your PC community, but I will not support this game without an official patch that includes a split screen mode; furthermore, when you decide to release future Resident Evil games on PC like RE 5: Gold, I will not purchase those either unless you give us the same features the console version has. If the console version includes no such feature then no harm, no foul, but this practice of removing features from the PC version has to stop.

Edit-I used parts of this message to reach the Capcom developer on the official Steam topic. Here

Yudoken

Thank you for wanting to make it right with your PC community, but I will not support this game without an official patch that includes a split screen mode; furthermore, when you decide to release future Resident Evil games on PC like RE 5: Gold, I will not purchase those either unless you give us the same features the console version has. If the console version includes no such feature then no harm, no foul, but this practice of removing features from the PC version has to stop.

There is no good reason to remove features from the pc version and Capcom won't get a penny until they do not fuck with the pc version.

Sectus

Except next time Capcom might learn there lesson a different way , by not listing split screen as a feature at all. I hope i am wrong, because I want RE 5 Gold split screen too.

I am tired of resorting to mods to get experiences in the game that should have been included in the first place. This is a shameful, lazy practice that needs to stop. Some big name companies like Valve, Capcom, and Gearbox have been guilty of it and it needs to stop.

Valves push for the living room is obvious. With Big Picture Mode, in home streaming, Steam Machines, and Steam Controllers more gamers, including me, are going to expect feature parity between the console version and the PC version.

If Valve and third party partners like Capcom are going to be successful in this initiative they are going to have to earn the trust from those of us who enjoy PC gaming on our televisions.

RE5 Gold Edition is handled by Qloc, same company who made RE6 port with splitscreen support, so I'll be very surprised if it's missing this time around.

Parsnip

RE5 Gold Edition is handled by Qloc, same company who made RE6 port with splitscreen support, so I'll be very surprised if it's missing this time around.
They are? How do you know?
They don't usually announce this stuff that I've seen.

Sectus

They are? How do you know?
They don't usually announce this stuff that I've seen.

I should have specified it's not confirmed, but there's some big hints they're doing it. They're the only studio having done PC-only projects for Capcom so far, and Polish has been added as one of the languages for the new port and there's been several projects where Qloc has localized the game to Polish as part of the port. But yeah, it's not officially confirmed.

Arion

I can finally use this gif

wi3utCc.gif

Marcelo = Capcom
Ronaldo = Modders
Bottle = PC ports

Parsnip

I should have specified it's not confirmed, but there's some big hints they're doing it. They're the only studio having done PC-only projects for Capcom so far, and Polish has been added as one of the languages for the new port and there's been several projects where Qloc has localized the game to Polish as part of the port. But yeah, it's not officially confirmed.

Sounds reasonable. I wonder if they did Rev2 or HD Remaster as well.
It's a shame that pubs are so secretive about this stuff sometimes.

Sectus

Sounds reasonable. I wonder if they did Rev2 or HD Remaster as well.
It's a shame that pubs are so secretive about this stuff sometimes.

They didn't work on either as their name isn't attached to those games. I'm not sure, but I think all versions of those games were handled by the respective teams. K2 did REmaster, and I don't know who did Revelations 2 (probably same company who made Revelations 1, which I can't remember the name of).

Parsnip

They didn't work on either as their name isn't attached to those games. I'm not sure, but I think all versions of those games were handled by the respective teams. K2 did REmaster, and I don't know who did Revelations 2 (probably same company who made Revelations 1, which I can't remember the name of).

As far as Rev goes, do you mean Tose?

I really don't care about the offline co-op at this point. Capcom's last patch did more damage than good. They should optimize the game first before doing anything else.

me0wish

I ported Gold Edition stages/characters from Xbox to PC final RE5 engine partially as well :)

Thanks to people like you, Sectus and Durante, we can have really awesome stuff with PC gaming, I'm truly thankful for all of your hard passionate work, I've never been happy as a gaf member as much as I am when I see such amazing people being a part of it, hopefully, one day my programming skills would improve so I can give back. You guys inspire me, really, thanks a lot :)

This is why we should always make it happen again, weather Capcom announces it has local MP or not, we should always push for "console features" on PC.

FyreWulff

I'm not a PC gamer, but exactly how many new PC games still have local multiplayer? Seems like something very few people would take advantage of.

Still having it on the listing is scummy though.

It's pretty stupid that more games on PC don't support multiplayer splitscreen since computers have more power and breathing room to do so.

It's even more annoying when it's a PC game where the console version has splitscreen. All the work is done! You just need to make two viewports! C'mon!

FyreWulff

Forgive my ignorance but how would local co op work on a PC? 2 keyboards and mice? How does the PC decide which combo of keyboard/mouse belongs to which player?

You've always been able to enumerate multiple keyboards and mice on a computer. And tons of gamepads

Thanks to people like you, Sectus and Durante, we can have really awesome stuff with PC gaming, I'm truly thankful for all of your hard passionate work, I've never been happy as a gaf member as much as I am when I see such amazing people being a part of it, hopefully, one day my programming skills would improve so I can give back. You guys inspire me, really, thanks a lot :)

This is why we should always make it happen again, weather Capcom announces it has local MP or not, we should always push for "console features" on PC.

Trust me, if Valve releases L4D3 with splitscreen on the consoles and skips the PC version I will push them for the console features as well. No developer should get a free pass from here on out. Maybe if we all keep pressing the issue these kinds of practices will stop.

me0wish

Hello RE fans,

Following Resident Evil Revelations 2 PC player feedback, we've got some new information to share. The development team has been exploring various options and we're in the process of creating a way for players to utilize a local co-op feature

Soon we plan to release a beta branch on Steam which will allow two players to play the Story and Raid modes locally via a split screen. We want to get this feature in the hands of our PC players as soon as possible, so this option may not be 100% polished when it is released. Feedback from those who try it out is welcomed. For anyone who isn't satisfied with this option, refunds are available through Steam.

We'll have more specific news to share when the beta branch goes live, so please stay tuned.

Well done everyone, glad that the push succeeded, and we are getting local mp.

Trust me, if Valve releases L4D3 with splitscreen on the consoles and skips the PC version I will push them for the console features as well. No developer should get a free pass from here on out. Maybe if we all keep pressing the issue these kinds of practices will stop.

Totally agree, I am hoping that Valve will allow multiple account logins on a single machine, and allowing each player to use his own monitor.

Top Bottom