• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom representative : Street Fighter V would never ship on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noshino

That's like saying Capcom doesn't want money.

Its not at all

On the contrary, this is the only way they could get a big SF game in the near future.

You must take different factors in mind:

- Capcom isn't doing well financially
- Japanese market/development moving towards mobile
- Fighting games are a niche genre
- Fighting games are very expensive (some people even claim that $150k per character is a bargain)
- Last few SF games weren't received well critically nor commercially.

Taking everything into consideration, put yourself in Capcom's shoes. Would you have sought Sony's help?

greenegt

The game was confirmed in development like a year and a half before the announcement, in that time Tomb Raider DE out came for both current gen consoles. The first time the game showed up there was no mention of platforms and it's confirmed the deal is just timed exclusivity. Also I think Kagari confirmed the game wasn't exclusive from the start.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to the PS4 eventually. Titanfall 1 is not.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

They might not be cheap, but they are cheaper than most genres nowadays, specially since fighting games stopped being the graphical showcases they once were.

Also, Ms has a very good example on how to get a pretty good fighter made without spending tons at once. It's a model that would work perfectly for SF. And Ms isn't the only one, other companies are also doing more than okay with F2P versions of their fighting games.
They're cheaper than big AAA games but most genres? No way. As said above, just making a character from scratch is expensive as fuck.

In order to do something like KI they'd have to tone down the scope of the game big time - remember KI was basically a $20 game - in which case they're better off spending money on making Monster Hunter number twenty

Curufinwe

I call bullshit.

This freaking Capcom of all companies.
urt.gif

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Not trying to call you out, but are we 100% on that? Was TR announced for PS4, but then pulled? I'm thinking TR was closer to the Titanfall scenario.

It was never announced for ANY platform. But it WAS announced a year before the exclusivity was announced. So it would be naïve to think it wasn't multiplat to begin with.

Krackatoa

Which ones weren't received well critically?

SFxT got a lot of flack from the core community, and had lackluster mainstream appeal. UMvC3 was well received by Marvel players, but the casual market wasn't really interested in rebuying the same game. It took a few major patches before SFxT would be a real game.

Faustek

It still doesn't make much sense, unless Capcom is run by idiots.

Ok, so the company is having financial trouble, so they decide to not fund the one game that costs less than all the others to develop and it's already a proven franchise where each new entry also outsolds the numbers from other franchises, not to mention that they could milk it with re-releases.

Or even, if they felt like making next gen versions of the entire cast would be too costly they could go for the KI route, where they make a few at a time and iterate, so they could spent less on the initial release and let the success of the game drive post content updates.

Not saying that they should've passed on the deal with sony, but I doubt they would never make this game without it, again, unless they are really stupid.

Isn't it a mix?
As in Sony helping them to actually fund a multiplat(PS4/PC) engine? The one DD was on that is.

Note: I'm not sure if it is actually. Just something I remember reading here.

Mik317

SFV was always coming but not for a long time. Sony sped up the process by funding it. However in doing so...they will only allow it on their console (and PC, in which they probably also get something from those sales) because why the fuck would they pay to the development for a game that releases on direct competitors?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Last few SF games weren't received well critically nor commercially.

Completely untrue. Street Fighter 4 was hugely successful in both circumstances.

3 was the one that wasn't that successful. Both in sales and reviews. 3 was the reason 4 took forever to happen.

Strangely enough, the even numbered Street Fighter games are the successful ones. The odd numbered games far less so. I'm sure 5 will buck that trend though.

NastyBook

Are you anticipating better sales for the series not that it's on less platforms?
I have no idea how much it's going to sell, I'll readily admit that. But with Sony partnering up with Capcom, at least we're getting another one. If this had never happened, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. Keep that in mind.

Korigama

They might not be cheap, but they are cheaper than most genres nowadays, specially since fighting games stopped being the graphical showcases they once were.
Fighting games are considerably more visually impressive now (seventh generation onward) than they've been in the past.

Zomba13

For this numbered run also implies "Super Street Fighter V" or whatever.

Yeah. If he said "this entry" then there could be wiggle room for ultra super turbo HD dash accent core # Plus reloded, but numbered run implies and and all Street Fight V games including remixes, addons, rebalances, GOTY versions and the like.

Faustek

Completely untrue. Street Fighter 4 was hugely successful in both circumstances.

3 was the one that wasn't that successful. Both in sales and reviews. 3 was the reason 4 took forever to happen.

Strangely enough, the even numbered Street Fighter games are the successful ones. The odd numbered games far less so. I'm sure 5 will buck that trend though.

Think people are fudging a bit.
As a whole 4 sold well. But with each iteration of 4 the sales dwindled.

Mael

Exclusive to Xbone would have been more surprising.
Considering how PS4 is pretty much the console of this gen with barely a competition thanks to the competition fucking it up anyway...
If Sony funded the project, it's even less likely to appear elsewhere.
Kinda like the situation for MonHun.
Nintendo is basically handling how MonHun goes in the West at no cost for Capcom(marketing, distribution...),
so yeah it's going to stay there.
If Sony handles more than just the funds for the 1rst version of SFV, there's good reason to not expect it elsewhere.

ksdixon

I know it was over ten years ago, but didn't Capcom say the same thing about RE4?

I know, bad analogy. The PS4 is a successful platform. The GameCube was not.

Wasn't FF versus13 supposed to be PS3 exclusive, but FF15 will be multi-platform. In fact, Street Fighter itself has an even better example than Super/Hyper etc. 'Special Champion Edition' was coined specifically so SF could be made on SEGA Genesis.

Seems like a name-change can nullify exclusivity agreements.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
XBO has Killer Instinct though, and maybe they'll get a MvC4 deal or something.

It still doesn't make much sense, unless Capcom is run by idiots.

Ok, so the company is having financial trouble, so they decide to not fund the one game that costs less than all the others to develop and it's already a proven franchise where each new entry also outsolds the numbers from other franchises, not to mention that they could milk it with re-releases.

Or even, if they felt like making next gen versions of the entire cast would be too costly they could go for the KI route, where they make a few at a time and iterate, so they could spent less on the initial release and let the success of the game drive post content updates.

Not saying that they should've passed on the deal with sony, but I doubt they would never make this game without it, again, unless they are really stupid.
Haha yes,

Well not really idiots, but higher ups who see more value on mobile games than ones on consoles.

jaypah

Companies buy games, big whoop. Sucks for X1 owners but that's the nature of the business. I'll probably pick up on PC as I already have a PC stick.

Noshino

Which ones weren't received well critically?

Ultra was a shit port, and its exclusive to the biggest console of the gen, so it got a lot of the spotlight.

Then you have SFxTK and AE that had low 80's, high 70's. SFxTK had a lot of problems with the community though when it came to content and features.

After SSF4 scores have declined. SF4 has gone from mid 90s to high 70s.

That sucks, 3rd party franchises that used to be multi plat going exclusive is bullshit. Particularly when they rub salt in the wound like that, but I understand business is business : /, tomb raider sucks too but at least you guys can count on that coming to your system of choice eventually.

FranXico

LOL true hilarity.

Though really, Capcom will probably just skip Super Street Fighter V and release Street Fighter VI 6 months after SFV and just say "What? We told you V was exclusive, so we released VI!"

You mean, like Namco did with Ridge Racer? Released Ridge Racer 6 as a 360 exclusive, then Ridge Racer "7" for the PS3.

I can see them doing that.

Terrell

I really have no faith in Capcom to follow through on this promise, their track record doesn't give much reason to.

sublimit

Banned
I can't believe what some people here are saying.Do you guys seriously think that Capcom would have never made SF5 if it wasn't for Sony?SF is one of the few flagship titles they have which still sells strongly worldwide.
This is like saying that they will not make RE7 unless Sony or MS funds the game.Which is crazy IMO.

Mael

It's all versions.

1) I doubt they're financing the PC version.
2) If Sony handles part of the marketing, localization, distribution it's likely you'll never see SFV on xbone in any way possible. Might even extent to SFVI if the partnership is beneficial to both parties and MSFT keeps being irrelevant outside of the US.

Lulubop

I can't believe what some people here are saying.Do you guys seriously think that Capcom would have never made SF5 if it wasn't for Sony?SF is one of the few flagship titles they have which still sells strongly worldwide.
This is like saying that they will not make RE7 unless Sony or MS funds the game.Which is crazy IMO.

Who saying that? What we do know is that people at Capcom said we wouldn't get another mainline game until at least 2018. Sony is just speeding up the process. Which is great as a PC guy.

If this means Capcom is willing to work for exclusives for the highest bidder then I wonder what franchises MS/Nintendo are willing to shell out for.

Dead rising MS is evidently willing to pay for.

E3 should get even more interesting.

Mael

If this means Capcom is willing to work for exclusives for the highest bidder then I wonder what franchises MS/Nintendo are willing to shell out for.

Dead rising MS is evidently willing to pay for.

E3 should get even more interesting.

Nintendo paid not in hat form for Monster Hunter, that's already quite clear.
There's more than money that you can offer for projects.

GVA1987

Glad I have a PS4 to play it but I still can't get over the massive outrage when something stays exclusive to XB1 and yet on the other side of the fence it is perfectly ok.

Business is business though and it'll always be this way. Hopefully everyone gets a chance to play in whatever iteration it ends up becoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom