• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil on Wii in 2007, More Wii Announcements Soon

fresquito

No6 said:
I wasn't aware that more power only resulted in improved textures. Do tell.
Wasn't aware that only through the increase of power you can increase the fun a game provides.

Are you trying to say that Zelda, Halo, or GT4 are above average (or even average) for what is expected from next-gen consoles? Content issues aside, I have a hard time thinking of many genres on next-gen consoles that haven't shown bar-raising improvements for what they try to achieve.
Super Mario 64 didn't do Super Mario World a worse game, not even something near average. In fact, it's a timeless classic that stands out as one of the best games ever. I hope you won't argue against me that Super Mario 64 raised the bar.

felipeko

I find it funny that Wii is getting some multi (licensed) games that are on X360/PS3, and the Wii version doesn't seem to lack much on anything... it even get higher scores...

EphemeralDream said:
Am I the only one who doesn't really know what a "Nintendo fan" constitutes these days? Is it someone who grew up playing the NES/SNES (two incredible consoles in terms of 3rd party support) or perhaps the N64 (first party dominant)? I find it hard to believe that someone who grew up with the NES or SNES would only be interested in Nintendo games. In general I think the sort of Nintendo fan who rarely looks to 3rd parties a myth that you'd only find at a place like GameFAQs. I really hope this stereotypical view of the Nintendo fan is killed off this generation. Any gamer who discriminates against good games because of the home console, region, company, etc. is an idiot.

What is really silly IMO is I see a lot of people who don't own a Wii coming in to the occasional Wii topic and saying "I'll get a Wii for SMG, Brawl, and SPM" as if there won't be any other decent games on the system. I think these are the gamers who are adding evidence to the "people only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles." It's not like games change fundamentally when they are put on a Nintendo console. The amount of games furthering the "lol Kiddy console" seems to be the minority IMO that has been blown out of proportion.
In my case, is because i got bored from PS games...
I can't enjoy them anymore..
But Nintendo games are still fun...
Looking at N64 and GC i would almost buy only Nintendo games...
And looking at Wii everything looks fun again, and hard to ignore.. I will buy a lot of third party games...

Jokeropia

No6 said:
if 3rd party Wii games (or even 1st party) were selling like 360 AAA 3rd party games
Hmm? Zelda is right on the heels of Gears of War (if it hasn't passed it already) and certainly trumps all 360 third party games.

ziran

No6 said:
The GC (eventually) got most midrange 3rd party games. Nor did (in most cases) the choice of lead platform result in an inability to port the game, it's just that some publishers decided not to bother. The difference is that this time, if you make a game for Wii (or 360/PS3), it basically can't go to the other platform. Even if the Wii totally demolishes the 360/PS3 in every territory (which is not remotely assured at this point), you'll still probably get something similar to the DS/PSP 3rd party scenario.
I don't think there's any guarantee 3rd parties will port everything to PS3 just because the assets are the same, especially if its sales don't pick up. The 360 launching early and the legions of eager sw buying Xbox fans could've already ensured 360 as the HD console of choice.

I'm pretty sure part of the reason PSP has had major 3rd party support is because of the theoretical potential of PS3 and PSP becoming massive Playstation products, like PS2, and I'm sure Sony pointed this out on several occasions. However, now there is less and less of a golden carrot for Sony to dangle in front of 3rd parties, as these new platforms fail to do what so many expected.

ziran said:
I don't think there's any guarantee 3rd parties will port everything to PS3 just because the assets are the same, especially if its sales don't pick up. The 360 launching early and the legions of eager sw buying Xbox fans could've already ensured 360 as the HD console of choice.

I'm pretty sure part of the reason PSP has had major 3rd party support is because of the theoretical potential of PS3 and PSP becoming massive Playstation products, like PS2, and I'm sure Sony pointed this out on several occasions. However, now there is less and less of a golden carrot for Sony to dangle in front of 3rd parties, as these new platforms fail to do what so many expected.

Yeah, about that PSP support.....

vasuba

Banned
ziran said:

Porting between 360 and PS3 will happen all the time nomatter what. even if only 15 million PS3s were to sell worldwide theyd get ports and 360 vice versa. The companies look for extra sales. GC RE4 outsold the PS2 version even though the PS2 sold 8 times as many consoles.

Similiar architecture almost guarantees PS3/360 game sharing for the entire gen

svenuce

vasuba said:
GC RE4 outsold the PS2 version even though the PS2 sold 8 times as many consoles.

Actually, according to NPD, the PS2 versions (premier and regular) has passed the GC and that small gap is widening (at least in the US). Not sure about Europe or Japan.

ziran

vasuba said:
Porting between 360 and PS3 will happen all the time nomatter what. even if only 15 million PS3s were to sell worldwide theyd get ports and 360 vice versa. The companies look for extra sales. GC RE4 outsold the PS2 version even though the PS2 sold 8 times as many consoles.

Similiar architecture almost guarantees PS3/360 game sharing for the entire gen
RE4 is different to the kind of general ports I was referring to. The GC game sold about the same as the PS2 version ww because it was released a year early and the franchise had already built a large following on GC because of previous exclusives. Also, like you mentioned, PS2 had a massive lead, which was the reason for the port, so this isn't similar to the current 360/PS3 situation.

I think there's every chance of 3rd party PS3 games being ported to 360 because of 360's installed base. I'm sure some porting will go on from 360 to PS3, but I disagree it's guaranteed to happen all the time just because the systems are similar.

This generation is going to be like no other because there has never been such a difference between hw, strategies and price.

Edit - Also, MS has the money and installed base in NA to make 3rd party ports to PS3 difficult.

Jokeropia

svenuce said:
Actually, according to NPD, the PS2 versions (premier and regular) has passed the GC and that small gap is widening (at least in the US). Not sure about Europe or Japan.
No, I'm pretty sure the GC version is still ahead (albeit slightly) unless NPD revised their own figures recently. (Looking over the numbers I've got it does seem like the PS2 version will win out eventually though.)

Wiitard

Banned
ziran said:
I think there's every chance of 3rd party PS3 games being ported to 360 because of 360's installed base. I'm sure some porting will go on from 360 to PS3, but I disagree it's guaranteed to happen all the time just because the systems are similar.

This generation is going to be like no other because there has never been such a difference between hw, strategies and price.

Edit - Also, MS has the money and installed base in NA to make 3rd party ports to PS3 difficult.

Exactly. Porting costs north of a 1 million most likely. A lot of pubs will want to see how a Game does on 360 before porting. Nobody is going to port Chromerhounds. Now some of games that flop are actually pretty decent. One Chromerhounds here another there and soon you are kidding yourself if you think it will not make a difference.

vala

About Inafune's ((omg best game creator ever! :lol :lol) ) new game:

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=226369&postcount=14

"SVEN: Inafune is the head of CJ R&D. All of his projects have producers and directors that aren't him.

For example, Lost Planet's producer was Takeuchi-san. Dead Rising's producer was Haruki-san. Yet both games are still Inafune games because they were produced under his guidance. Sasaki-san is the director on TIZ and he happened to be over to the US with me about two weeks ago where we did some focus testing on his title.

I wasn't present when he said what he said, but he referred to new IP on the Wii if I recall correctly (and don't crucify me if I don't). This is the new, new IP we have on that platform for the moment so I think this is what he was referring to."

sphinx

the piano man
I know it' not much but when games begin to get mentioned in articles, it's likely they'll surface sonner than alter....

http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776549p1.html

New Resident Evil Does 480p and 16:9
Not unexpected, we know, but if we don't report it then you'll be mad.
by Matt Casamassina

March 28, 2007 - Capcom is holding a Gamers Day event on April 12 to showcase at least part of its 2007 lineup and several Wii projects are expected to be on-hand, including the tentatively named Treasure Island Z. In addition, some reports indicate that the studio may choose this venue to unveil the anticipated Wii survival-horror sequel, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

Capcom's senior director of strategic planning and research, Christian Svensson, hasn't confirmed whether Umbrella Chronicles will be on-hand at the event. But he did reveal that the title will support both 480 progressive-scan and 16:9 widescreen modes whenever it finally ships for Nintendo's new console. Svensson was unsure if the game would run in Dolby Pro Logic II, though.

Very little has been confirmed officially about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, but some details have been pieced together based on reports from Famitsu and comments from Capcom officials. The title is being led by Masachika Kawata, who handled the port of Resident Evil 4 to PlayStation 2. According to Famitsu, the title will consist of two parts, including a more traditional survival horror experience that transpires between Code Veronica X and RE4, and another mode where gamers can play as various characters from the universe and traverse areas from the previous projects.

Capcom's American branch has remained reluctant to speak about the game, since details generally come from Japan first or, alternatively, are announced worldwide at official events, such as the company's forthcoming Gamers Day. We've got our fingers crossed for more.

Scum

sphinx said:
I know it' not much but when games begin to get mentioned in articles, it's likely they'll surface sonner than alter....

http://wii.ign.com/articles/776/776549p1.html

New Resident Evil Does 480p and 16:9
Not unexpected, we know, but if we don't report it then you'll be mad.
by Matt Casamassina

March 28, 2007 - Capcom is holding a Gamers Day event on April 12 to showcase at least part of its 2007 lineup and several Wii projects are expected to be on-hand, including the tentatively named Treasure Island Z. In addition, some reports indicate that the studio may choose this venue to unveil the anticipated Wii survival-horror sequel, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

Capcom's senior director of strategic planning and research, Christian Svensson, hasn't confirmed whether Umbrella Chronicles will be on-hand at the event. But he did reveal that the title will support both 480 progressive-scan and 16:9 widescreen modes whenever it finally ships for Nintendo's new console. Svensson was unsure if the game would run in Dolby Pro Logic II, though.

Very little has been confirmed officially about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, but some details have been pieced together based on reports from Famitsu and comments from Capcom officials. The title is being led by Masachika Kawata, who handled the port of Resident Evil 4 to PlayStation 2. According to Famitsu, the title will consist of two parts, including a more traditional survival horror experience that transpires between Code Veronica X and RE4, and another mode where gamers can play as various characters from the universe and traverse areas from the previous projects.

Capcom's American branch has remained reluctant to speak about the game, since details generally come from Japan first or, alternatively, are announced worldwide at official events, such as the company's forthcoming Gamers Day. We've got our fingers crossed for more.

dothesummoner.gif

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
According to Famitsu, the title will consist of two parts, including a more traditional survival horror experience that transpires between Code Veronica X and RE4, and another mode where gamers can play as various characters from the universe and traverse areas from the previous projects.

**** YES! **** YES! **** YES! **** YES! **** YES! **** YES! **** YES! **** YES!

Please let this come out soon.

Top Bottom