• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Smash hit Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) sold 500k copies

test_account

XP-39C²
I meant the HD version on the PS3.
It didnt get to that number (500k), but it after 7 weeks, it got to about 387k. Some months later it managed to climb to about 404k. It sold about 283k in the first week. This is for Japan only (it didnt get a western release like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did).

EDIT: These are Famitsu numbers.

Orayn

I'm happy with how well MH3U seems to have done on the Wii U. Should make a good case for the Monster Hunter 4 HD that a lot of people are hoping for.

Takao

Banned
As I understand it the 3U numbers include Japan through March and so one month sales in the west.

How long did it take Portable 3rd to get to that number?

It was released on August 25th, 2011. As of January 3rd, 2012 Media Create reports it sold through 415,943 copies in Japan at retail.

Tripon

How are the 3DS MH sales anyway?

From what I remember of the Media create threads comparing MH sales, 3DS sales for MH3G/3U was around 1,725,000.

500,000 worldwide for a console MH is great, especially since its just a port of its portable brother.

Edit: And I'm surprised that people didn't think this game wouldn't sell at least fairly well. It was released right in the middle of the drought in March 2013 where Wii U owners in the West were starved for content, and promised over a 100 hours of content and gameplay.

Fistwell

2py.gif

sörine;87602764 said:
Less than a month for the west and just under 4 months for Japan since the reporting period is through March 31, 2013.

It might only be shipments, I don't believe Capcom adds in digital for their sales reports. The big eShop sale was well after the period covered anyway.
Clarification:

1) This is from Capcom's 2013 Annual Report with data accurate as of March 31st, 2013

2) This refers to SHIPMENTS TO RETAILERS (+ eShop sales to consumers) of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U, worldwide from December 8th, 2012 through March 31st, 2013

3) The game launched in:
Japan - December 8th, 2012 (less than 4 months of tracking)
North America - March 19th, 2013 (less than 1 month of tracking)
Europe - March 22nd, 2013 (less than 1 month of tracking)

4) As of July 14th, 214,220 units (physical retail only) of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U have been sold to consumers in Japan (according to Dengeki).
Thanks for the clarification people XD
Guess this is the part where we downplay the 3rd party Nintendo game's sales, based on last generation trends.
The persecution complex in here is lovely. And cute at the same time.

DaBoss

I want to know how well the 3DS version did. That to me is the more important question to be answered.

And then the combined sales of the 3DS version and the Wii U version in the west.

Wait, wtf? Why is it reporting only until March 31st?
Also these numbers don't include Europe, right? Since it was published there by Nintendo?

Did Nintendo include it in their quarterly reports before?

Tripon

I want to know how well the 3DS version did. That to me is the more important question to be answered.

And then the combined sales of the 3DS version and the Wii U version in the west.

Wait, wtf? Why is it reporting only until March 31st?

Did Nintendo include it in their quarterly reports before?

March 31st is when the fiscal year ended.

Lol, 500k times zero is zero, lol Ninte...Oh wait. That joke doesn't work in this one.

This thread has too many zeroes. A few fewer and we could have had a 12 pager on our hands here. Instead this one will peter out around 3-4.

zroid

Banned
But it's still a Capcom game...

Sure, but if Nintendo is the one selling the game, I would think it'd be up to them to report the sales. I'm ignorant, though. That's why I posed the statement as a question. :p

edit: if Nintendo didn't mention it in their financial reports, then I would lean toward it being in Capcom's hands.

Sure, but if Nintendo is the one selling the game, I would think it'd be up to them to report the sales. I'm ignorant, though. That's why I posed the statement as a question. :p

I think the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Nintendo publishing ordeal was more of a distribution deal than anything.

In Nintendo's quarterly report ending December 30th, their supplementary information states Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U in Europe is part of their "upcoming third-party lineup for the FY ending March 31st," and it's "published by Capcom."

So, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate's shipment number would be worldwide.

zroid

Banned
I think the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Nintendo publishing ordeal was more of a distribution deal than anything.

In Nintendo's quarterly report ending December 30th, their supplementary information states Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U in Europe is part of their "upcoming third-party lineup for the FY ending March 31st," and it's "published by Capcom."

So, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate's shipment number would be worldwide.

Gotcha. Well that clears it up then.

Xedah66

Played over 400 hours. Still play every weekend with my friends. Come capcom announce 4 3ds/u for west already!

DaBoss

March 31st is when the fiscal year ended.

Yea, but Capcom isn't reporting shipment numbers for everything up until Q2 FY2013/14? Q2 just ended so I'm not understanding why they aren't reporting updated numbers. Is this the norm?

Yea, but Capcom isn't reporting shipment numbers for everything up until Q2 FY2013/14? Q2 just ended so I'm not understanding why they aren't reporting updated numbers. Is this the norm?

They're commenting on the success / failures of the previous fiscal year (April 1st, 2012 - March 31st, 2013). Why would they include data that's not pertinent to that specific fiscal year?

forrest

formerly nacire
Spotted a copy at Best Buy today for 20$ and since I'm getting a WiiU in a month I decided to pick it up. I've played numerous MH titles on PSP as well as Tri on Wii. Some mentioned this was a port? Does it not at least use the models from Tri? With 1080p output?

Porcile

Nice! Considering the game is still near it's original retail price, you'd imagine Capcom would be happy with these sales. I did my part.

DaBoss

They're commenting on the success / failures of the previous fiscal year (April 1st, 2012 - March 31st, 2013). Why would they include data that's not pertinent to that specific fiscal year?

OH, OK. Did not know that. Thanks for the explanation.

"Also, despite smash hit "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" for the new stationary game system Wii U, which sold 500,000 units, package software sales were sluggish overall at 14 million units (down 10.8% from to the previous fiscal year) and package sales of 40.7 billion yen (down 7.7% from to the previous fiscal year). That being said, significant growth in DLC contributed to earnings with sales of 5.2 billion yen (up 85.7% from the previous fiscal year)."

I think that can be read as saying 500,000 Wii U units were sold in this financial year and Capcom sold 14 million packaged games over all platforms in this financial year. Slightly ambiguous writing.

L Thammy

Proud to be one of those 500K.

Not as proud to have stopped shortly after reading Mark of the Hero. ;\

EDIT: Oh, wait, if it's just this fiscal year, than doesn't that nor include copies from NA launch?

Tripon

Spotted a copy at Best Buy today for 20$ and since I'm getting a WiiU in a month I decided to pick it up. I've played numerous MH titles on PSP as well as Tri on Wii. Some mentioned this was a port? Does it not at least use the models from Tri? With 1080p output?

Its a port of the 3DS version, which was a port/expansion/remake of Tri. It is 1080p, but with some simple textures.

Still a pretty game for what it is.

jeremy1456

It is basically just Tri on the Wii but with an upscaled resolution and a small amount of additional content.

I think it's 1080p but I could be wrong. What's cool is it includes off-screen play.

L Thammy

It is basically just Tri on the Wii but with an upscaled resolution and a small amount of additional content.

I think it's 1080p but I could be wrong. What's cool is it includes off-screen play.

Such as additional weapon classes and double the monsters.

Tripon

Proud to be one of those 500K.

Not as proud to have stopped shortly after reading Mark of the Hero. ;\

EDIT: Oh, wait, if it's just this fiscal year, than doesn't that nor include copies from NA launch?

It includes NA launch, and again, this is shipped, not sold, so your copy could be part of the 500,000 despite being it months later. ;P

"Also, despite smash hit "Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate" for the new stationary game system Wii U, which sold 500,000 units, package software sales were sluggish overall at 14 million units (down 10.8% from to the previous fiscal year) and package sales of 40.7 billion yen (down 7.7% from to the previous fiscal year). That being said, significant growth in DLC contributed to earnings with sales of 5.2 billion yen (up 85.7% from the previous fiscal year)."

I think that can be read as saying 500,000 Wii U units were sold in this financial year and Capcom sold 14 million packaged games over all platforms in this financial year. Slightly ambiguous writing.
No way, Wii U sold more than 500k in FY2013.

Japan alone: 854.247 (by March 31, 2013)

That would be pretty hilarious though, lol.

L Thammy

This brings me so much joy and makes me hopeful for MH4.

We were hearing good things about MH3U's sales from the beginning, so I'm sure that MH4 will come over. But this makes me more hopeful about a MH4 HD in particular.

3U HD is actually kind of shoddy, though, hopefully Capcom puts more effort into another one.

gogogow

Er.....no.
Not "think", it is native 1080p, better textures, online MP and save game transfarring with 3DS version.

Such as additional weapon classes and double the monsters.
^
Yep, tons of new armour/weapons, subspecies and new monsters, which were not in Nintendo's MH games.

sörine

Banned
2) This refers to SHIPMENTS TO RETAILERS (+ eShop sales to consumers) of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U, worldwide from December 8th, 2012 through March 31st, 2013.
Are you certain eShop sales are included? I thought the opposite was indicated from previous Capcom shipment reports?

Either way MH3U was their only Wii U release for that fiscal year. If 500,000 refers to MH3U sales or their Wii U software sales overall it's the same thing.

Artorias

Banned

I may just have a bad memory, but doesn't it have like a shitload of extra content? I'm not sure about single player because its boring as hell, but there are way more monsters and way more hunts available in multi.

No. It's clear they're talking about the FY ending March 31st, 2013 in all their figures because of their segment sales data.

Annual Report:

Consumer (Package) - 40.7 billion yen
Consumer (DLC) - 5.2 billion yen
Mobile - 11.0 billion yen
PC Online - 6.7 billion yen

Total reported: 63.6 billion yen

Original FY-end Earnings Statement (ending March 31st, 2013):
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2012/full/result_2012_full_08.pdf

Digital Contents Segment (Consumer + Mobile + PC Online): 63,636 million yen

Their terminology "current fiscal year" refers to the fiscal year they're talking about in the annual report (Apr 2012 - Mar 2013). "Next fiscal year" refers to the fiscal year after it (Apr 2013 - Mar 2014). "Previous fiscal year" refers to the previous one (Apr 2011 - Mar 2012).

Top Bottom