• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Smash hit Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) sold 500k copies

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Only a month after and only WII U ver. If I remember right about other sales numbers for outside of japan it would mean this is actually quite good relative to the series.

Maybe now we can get MH4

So it could potentially have alot more sales now thanks to the deals and such for the wii U and 3DS?

sörine;87610579 said:
Are you certain eShop sales are included? I thought the opposite was indicated from previous Capcom shipment reports?

In their most recent press release regarding sales numbers, Capcom included download card + eShop sales along with shipments.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e131015.html

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce that shipments of its "Monster Hunter 4" game for Nintendo 3DS™ in Japan have exceeded three million units, including sales of the downloadable version through download cards and the Nintendo eShop.

Not sure if this is good of bad. The 500K total that is.

That means it performed half the sales of a million copies on the original Wii. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.

I wonder what their initial projection is/was.

Also, this doesn't show a pretty tendency for home console Monster Hunter software. All home console versions of general Monster Hunters games have sold significantly less software compared to the handheld versions, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I'd love to see updated numbers including:

- 3DS version
- Hunt & Gift promo (very effective in the UK!)
- eShop 50% off deal

But anyway, it looks like MH3U was very successful! So happy. T______T

Hoping the same for Ace Attorney Dual Destinies.

L Thammy

That means it performed half the sales of a million copies on the original Wii. Whether that's good or bad is debatable.

I wonder what their initial projection is/was.

Also, this doesn't show a pretty tendency for home console Monster Hunter software. All home console versions of general Monster Hunters games have sold significantly less software compared to the handheld versions, if I'm not mistaken.

Are you referring Monster Hunter Tri being a million-seller in Japan?
This is just an HD remake over there, and we already knew that the console versions aren't nearly as popular as the portable ones.

If you're referring to NPD sales of Monster Hunter Tri, disregard my statement. I'm not familiar with them/

fred

That would make it the best selling 3rd party game and MAYBE the 2nd best selling game in general on the WiiU (I think)

Not so sure about that, ZombiU and Sonic Racing Transformed should have done well over 500K by now. Both are as cheap as chips in brick and mortar shops and have had the benefit of cheap deals in the eShop.

I was really surprised when Ubisoft said a while back that ZombiU didn't even 'come close' to making a profit. Someone must have REALLY fucked up on the project management for that game.

forrest

formerly nacire
It is basically just Tri on the Wii but with an upscaled resolution and a small amount of additional content.

I think it's 1080p but I could be wrong. What's cool is it includes off-screen play.

Awesome, off screen play seems like it's worth the 20 bucks, but man, starting over will suck. :(

I need Capcom to release a proper console sequel already. I wonder if the installed user base for ps4 gets large enough if they would consider it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I may just have a bad memory, but doesn't it have like a shitload of extra content? I'm not sure about single player because its boring as hell, but there are way more monsters and way more hunts available in multi.

It has possibly more than twice as much content both multiplayer and single player. When you get to what was the end of the single player in Tri, it opens up with lots of new stuff.

Not so sure about that, ZombiU and Sonic Racing Transformed should have done well over 500K by now. Both are as cheap as chips in brick and mortar shops and have had the benefit of cheap deals in the eShop.

I was really surprised when Ubisoft said a while back that ZombiU didn't even 'come close' to making a profit. Someone must have REALLY fucked up on the project management for that game.

Didn't help that it was the THIRD version of the game in its development life cycle:

First it was Killer Rabbids on PS360 (it's what you think it is).

Then it became Killer Freaks from Outer Space on Wii U (shown at E3 2011).

FINALLY it became ZombiU on Wii U by E3 2012.

Who knows how much went into both of the previous stages/versions. Probably could've made all three on Wii U and sold quite a bit and had extra support, that would've been great honestly.

Tripon

Awesome, off screen play seems like it's worth the 20 bucks, but man, starting over will suck. :(

I need Capcom to release a proper console sequel already. I wonder if the installed user base for ps4 gets large enough if they would consider it.
Monhun is not leaving Nintendo machines anytime soon.

Toxi

Banned

The Wii U has a tiny install base compared to the Wii, and MH3U had a handheld version with Wii U functionality to compete against. It's sales seem pretty amazing to me, especially for the amount of work they put in.

fred

Didn't help that it was the THIRD version of the game in its development life cycle:

First it was Killer Rabbids on PS360 (it's what you think it is).

Then it became Killer Freaks from Outer Space on Wii U (shown at E3 2011).

FINALLY it became ZombiU on Wii U by E3 2012.

Who knows how much went into both of the previous stages/versions. Probably could've made all three on Wii U and sold quite a bit and had extra support, that would've been great honestly.

I think we'll see a sequel to ZombiU at some point and Killer Freaks From Outer Space later on down the line too once the installed userbase grows a bit more.

I think we'll see a sequel to ZombiU at some point and Killer Freaks From Outer Space later on down the line too once the installed userbase grows a bit more.

ZombiU didn't make money. I highly doubt there'd be a sequel.

We won't see Killer Freaks either. There's a reason it was changed into a different game.

jeremy1456

Well go out and buy a copy and we might get a proper console sequel (Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate).

hopefully this means more MH on consoles...or is MH exclusively on Nintendo's platforms now?

Hopefully that is not the case...Not hating on my WiiU or anything, but a MH4-based game with new engine X-play with PS4/VIta would be pretty cool...

Meh, just a MH on PS4 really...This proves there's an audience for it, and PS4 seems a good fit with the social stuff.

WIll add to the half million sales though when I pick it up on Black friday.

Yeah I'd love to see updated numbers including:

- 3DS version
- Hunt & Gift promo (very effective in the UK!)
- eShop 50% off deal

But anyway, it looks like MH3U was very successful! So happy. T______T

Hoping the same for Ace Attorney Dual Destinies.

Why would you count free promo copies as sold?

Hiltz

Best selling 3rd party game on the WiiU then?

I wonder if Capcom will support the thing with titles other than MoHu

Before Christian Svensson left Capcom, he mentioned that the publisher had other future projects planned for Wii U. He also said not to expect many ports of titles such as Resident Evil 6 and Lost Planet 3. Although, the next game that came out from it on Wii U was Resident Evil: Revelations HD. Of course, given how poorly Wii U has done this year, Capcom could have cancelled some projects for it.

It will be interesting to see what home console the next Monster Hunter game comes out on. PS4 seems to have the advantage in terms of a potentially bigger install base (it's not like Japanese gamers haven't expressed much interest in Wii U this year), but Capcom has a good relationship with Nintendo, and may be more willing to assist in reducing development costs among other things.

cafemomo

Before Christian Svensson left Capcom, he mentioned that the publisher had other future projects planned for Wii U. He also said not to expect many ports of titles such as Resident Evil 6 and Lost Planet 3. Although, the next game that came out from it on Wii U was Resident Evil: Revelations HD. Of course, given how poorly Wii U has done this year, Capcom could have cancelled some projects for it.

It will be interesting to see what home console the next Monster Hunter game comes out on. PS4 seems to have the advantage in terms of a potentially bigger install base (it's not like Japanese gamers haven't expressed much interest in Wii U this year), but Capcom has a good relationship with Nintendo, and may be more willing to assist in reducing development costs among other things.

Capcom (well to me) seems like the only huge Japanese 3rd party (along with SEGA) to have a decent relationship with Nintendo.

Okami would be a wonderful game to port over to the WiiU.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ZombiU didn't make money. I highly doubt there'd be a sequel.

We won't see Killer Freaks either. There's a reason it was changed into a different game.

I'm amazed it didn't make money. I enjoyed the game a lot (just beat it earlier today) but it was clearly on a super tight budget. Either the scrapping/remaking wasted loads of money, or it sold terribly even by Wii U standards. Actually I'm not sure I want to know the answer to this. :x

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A third party success story for the wii u woo, maybe it'll end up as a MH console.

TBF I think it was the best advertised 3rd party game on the wii u. It seemed like Capcom actually tried.

Once MH4 gets localized in the west and if it can turn up good numbers I wonder if it might be possible that MH5 (or MH4U) may get a simultaneous release worldwide when it comes out? (or close to it - basically RE:Revelations on 3DS came out the same time - I consider a few days delay in the west to not be a big deal).

Is it possible that the MonHun franchise is perhaps finally getting popular (enough) in the west for Capcom?

Hey - I can dream right? :(

Mithos

I'm amazed it didn't make money.

It didn't make money, because it didn't start as a Wii U title called ZombiU, it started as "some" game on Xbox 360, moved over to Wii U as "Killer Freaks from Outer Space", and finally ended up as ZombiU.

roknin

So good to see this <3

Happily contributed to the Wii U sales... then during the recent sale, I contributed to the 3DS version lol.

Really, really hoping / praying for an MH4U in the near future, or at the very least for MH4 to reach our shores. I can't imagine it won't happen, considering.

Glass Joe

Best selling 3rd party game on the WiiU then?

I wonder if Capcom will support the thing with titles other than MoHu

I think Zombi U may be right up there, if not above MH. At least if you go by the overall Miiverse unique user activity between all territories, Monster Hunter is at 196k and Zombi U is at 211k. Hard to say if the Miiverse/Sales ratio is at all a meaningful thing though.

Zombi U wasn't profitable I think because of all the incarnations it went through. A lot of the userbase gave the game a shot. Sure the sales aren't as high as anticipated but how many sales did they seriously expect? And I'm sure it's still been selling decently relative to the Wii U since Ubisoft talking about how it disappointed, which was months ago.

But glad to hear Capcom's happy with the success. I really would not mind seeing the new Street Fighter hit the U, which apparently isn't likely as of now. Some other games ported for eShop would be nice to see too.

I think Zombi U may be right up there, if not above MH. At least if you go by the overall Miiverse unique user activity between all territories, Monster Hunter is at 196k and Zombi U is at 211k. Hard to say if the Miiverse/Sales ratio is at all a meaningful thing though.

Zombi U wasn't profitable I think because of all the incarnations it went through. A lot of the userbase gave the game a shot. Sure the sales aren't as high as anticipated but how many sales did they seriously expect? And I'm sure it's still been selling decently relative to the Wii U since Ubisoft talking about how it disappointed, which was months ago.

But glad to hear Capcom's happy with the success. I really would not mind seeing the new Street Fighter hit the U, which apparently isn't likely as of now. Some other games ported for eShop would be nice to see too.

Red steel managed a million by virtue of being a launch title so I imagine they hoped for something similar to that.

Edit:I mean for zombiU sales expectations.

onipex

Red steel managed a million by virtue of being a launch title so I imagine they hoped for something similar to that.

Edit:I mean for zombiU sales expectations.

What Wii launch games didn't sell at least a million units. Ubisoft didn't think that through if that's what they were hoping for. The game will likely sell over the life of the console though. It seems to have pretty good word of mouth in game forums.

I have never played Monster Hunter, is this a good place to start?
very good place

The 2nd generation games(MHFU,MHF1 and 2) have terrible hitboxes and camera controls not to mention its missing some weapons.

The third generation(MHP3rd,MH3U,MH3) games improve on alot of things and makes stuff more streamlined. MH3U has the largest amount of monster compared to every other game iirc. The only thing youll probably hate is underwater battles

I guess this settles for a Wii U version of 4 then? I bought MHU3 on sale on the 3DS that I wish it had online but I will be fine without it until I get a Wii U.

wow im kind surprised that a wii u third party game can be a mild success
storafötter;87668857 said:
I guess this settles for a Wii U version of 4 then? I bought MHU3 on sale on the 3DS that I wish it had online but I will be fine without it until I get a Wii U.

no. due to bad sales of resident evil revelations unveiled edition
I would have thought that 500.000 copies is a small number for MH standards but whatever.

its on a system that sells like 3k in japan per week

Exile20

So happy for the MHU3. I hope it sells more when people pick up the Wii U during xmas. I really hope it has some more legs. Great game.

I would have thought that 500.000 copies is a small number for MH standards but whatever.

It's the second port of an old game on a console in Japan. It's not going to sell much. Even MH3 on Wii didn't sell that much in comparison to the handheld titles, despite being a mainline exclusive.

Top Bottom