• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

EDarkness

Yup, I agree fully with this. One of the biggest attractions of the Switch is that you get full console games on a portable console. That's why Zelda is currently the best selling game on the console. Yet somehow Capcom sees that data and says, "hmmm what brand new games can we make that take advantage of its differences" while it announces ports of last gen games for stationary consoles.

If you really want to make these "unique" games then by all means do so, but why does that have to come at the expense of their traditional games?

Well, a lot of players seem to think that CEOs and higher ups at these companies know more about what's going on, but they are subject to misinformation and bias just like anyone else is. It's frustrating, because you'd think they'd have more a pulse on what gamers want than what they actually do.

They said they want to bring AAA games to Switch, doesn't mean that they are ready or that every multigame comes to Switch asap. In fact we don't know if they meant multigames with this, could also be Monster Hunter etc. (if they see their biggest ip as AAA)

When did this happen? I don't remember them saying anything about wanting to put AAA games on the system.

Well, a lot of players seem to think that CEOs and higher ups at these companies know more about what's going on, but they are subject to misinformation and bias just like anyone else is. It's frustrating, because you'd think they'd have more a pulse on what gamers want than what they actually do.

The only thing those higher ups would know very well is the cost of porting/developing/publishing games, and they would weigh that against their expected sales when considering games and ports. And that's far more information than we have.

But those expected sales are so, so often so very far off from reality that it doesn't instill confidence in their decision making. Yeah, they are probably doing the math well and they have the cost side of the equation down, but when Capcom misses on their expectations so often you have to wonder why they keep using the same decision making process.

mollipen

People really need to read the current OP and/or read more interviews with Japanese developers. There's pretty much nothing to get emotional about in any direction in what was said—it was a few light musing and then some boiler-plate Japanese dev responses. We've learned next to nothing about what Capcom is or isn't doing for the Switch from this.

And people wonder why Nintendo prioritize their first party over third party.

Only real way for Ninty to get good third party support is a monopoly or good relationship or marketing which requires money Nintendo isn't always ready to spend.

Vena

I'm willing to bet PS4 sales in Japan would see quite a bump if MonHun was exclusive to it. But, yeah we'll see soon enough (hopefully).

No, they wouldn't. Basic history of the market around the PS4 hardware+major software releases shows it has very little plasticity in Japan. It's software ceiling is strikingly low, with it only now finally achieving a million at retail with FFXV after months of slow accumulation.

Sadist

I've seen the thread title change, but right now I'm still puzzled about what Capcom will try to see from this specific title on Switch. I mean, apparently they have plans for more software on the system but as of right now they have no idea what to put on it. Okay, I guess... but its just so weird. What can a $ 40 port of a 20 years plus game tell you?

- Do Switch owners want to buy re-releases costing forty bucks?
- Do Switch owners want to buy fighters?
- Does the Street Fighter brand still resonate with people buying a Switch?
- Are they interested in buying Capcom games?
- Can we keep re-releasing lower budget projects at this price point?

Just a few questions on top of my head. I have no idea if Capcom keep an eye on the public (seeing their sales estimates every financial year, apparently not) but man, I can certainly tell them that this particular software should be a hard sell. And it's a bit of a double edged sword too. What if USF II succeeds on Switch? Whats next? They'll release Super Street Fighter III Third Strike? Resident Evil collections? Older Capcom titles? Or maybe the game won't sell and Capcom decides that Switch owners don't want fighters.

Conflicting.

When did this happen? I don't remember them saying anything about wanting to put AAA games on the system.

@ Game Creators Conference in february, a little bit longer ago than i thought.: They told how they ported MT Framework for Streetfighter with only two people in one month, that they worked with Nintendo while they developed Switch (Capcom wanted 4gb ram and so we got that amount), that they want to port Resi Engine and that they want to bring AAA titles on the Switch.

Would give a link but i don't know if ninevery... is banned here. You can google it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

The CEO of Capcom is 70+ and we wonder why they're out of touch.

I've seen the thread title change, but right now I'm still puzzled about what Capcom will try to see from this specific title on Switch. I mean, apparently they have plans for more software on the system but as of right now they have no idea what to put on it. Okay, I guess... but its just so weird. What can a $ 40 port of a 20 years plus game tell you?

Just a few questions on top of my head. I have no idea if Capcom keep an eye on the public (seeing their sales estimates every financial year, apparently not) but man, I can certainly tell them that this particular software should be a hard sell. And it's a bit of a double edged sword too. What if USF II succeeds on Switch? Whats next? They'll release Super Street Fighter III Third Strike? Resident Evil collections? Older Capcom titles? Or maybe the game won't sell and Capcom decides that Switch owners don't want fighters.

Conflicting.

Switch owners will get Umbrella Chornicles 3 and will like it.

mas8705

If Capcom wants to treat the Switch like how they treated the Wii U and 3DS, that's totally fine. Really if you do something as simple as "MONSTER HUNTER 5!!!" or something Monster Hunter related for the Switch, people will be more than happy to accept that. Hell, there are some that are already thinking that the reason why we're not seeing MHXX in the west is because we're going to possibly get MHXX on Switch. Who knows if this will actually happen, but it does feel like MH and Switch is a match made in heaven.

As for anything else outside of that... Well... That's a different discussion all together, and something to which has already been vocalized quite a bit thus far in this thread.

Conflicting.

They didn't say they will base anything on SF2 sales in the updated OP.

I think third parties expected another Wii U and based their potential support off of that.

Thats why Dragon Quest 11 was announced ages ago^^

People should read the updated OP

As Capcom, we aim to bring games to all platforms, and continue our research.
As for the Switch, in May we will release USF2 and we will plan our support while looking at the situation [of the platform].

So basically this is a quick plug for their next release in the pipeline, while giving the general "we look into it"-response any company gives. The word "sales" doesn't come up once.

We learned nothing new in this thread.

No, they wouldn't. Basic history of the market around the PS4 hardware+major software releases shows it has very little plasticity in Japan. It's software ceiling is strikingly low, with it only now finally achieving a million at retail with FFXV after months of slow accumulation.

Damn, yea. That is true. Would be a terrible decision for Capcom plus, Switch is selling hot right now in Japan. You make business decisions based on hardware that sells.

I know what the OP says. By situation of the platform they mean the sales of the Switch. I don't think Capcom (or anybody) thought the Switch would be this successful out of the gate.

Z3M0G

People really need to read the current OP and/or read more interviews with Japanese developers. There's pretty much nothing to get emotional about in any direction in what was said—it was a few light musing and then some boiler-plate Japanese dev responses. We've learned next to nothing about what Capcom is or isn't doing for the Switch from this.

I only just caught this thread... the first responses look like pretty crazy reactions.

What did the original OP & title say?

I only just caught this thread... the first responses look like pretty crazy reactions.

What did the original OP & title say?

That they were basing their future support on how well USFII sells.

I mean, we also have this below (seemingly much better translation) that also agrees with the updated OP, but it does provide some insight into their thought process regarding Switch support, and that thought process is kind of baffling to some us:

This should be in the OP:

DArTzLnXUAAC43I.jpg

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/867738758237388801

It's still worth discussing some of these bizarre comments.

Sadist

Switch owners will get Umbrella Chornicles 3 and will like it.
:(

I kinda liked Umbrella Chronicles, but on Switch pls no

They didn't say they will base anything on SF2 sales in the updated OP.
Oh it's not only a question about just sales anymore. The questions I just randomly thought off would are just a few that popped into my mind. Maybe we're over analyzing it, but even if its just a "we'll look into" comment, there are countless possibilities. Yes, I agree with some posters thinking "welp we were caught with our pants down yet again during a Nintendo hardware launch and we're scrambling to get something else done" but after Wii, I don't have much faith in third parties regarding Nintendo platforms.

Capcom mentioned a few months ago that they were thinking of porting the RE engine to Switch, but here's a free tip for Capcom: port that engine to Switch, get REmake 2 on that puppy and I can play Resi 2 everywhere. Portabillity seems a big plus with current Switch owners, so yeah, maybe thats a great idea.

But knowing Capcom we'll get a barebones RE 4 HD port...

Switching from TV to handheld don't sound like complicated gimmicks to understand.
It's not like VR, it's not like DS, it's probably even less than 3D.
The system's strengths are portability giving it a selling point to ports to a weaker system that wouldn't be there before. There's also a local co-op focus, MH should've shown this appeal already but with two joycons you can probably do more.
There are motion controls, but the people buying Switch don't want gimmicky tacked on garbage like Way of the Hado. ARMS will probably show how motion controls on Switch will work.
Going through this thought process now should be concerning to most people expecting stuff like Monster Hunter on Switch any time soon

A late port that we've haven't even seen that version of yet. You know what the first games Square announced for the PS4? Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III. Third parties have never been confidant of Nintendo.
While SE is likely not all in on Switch as they were with PS4 at its launch, they still have a lot of support pledged for it.
Launched with DQ Heroes, announced DQX and XI, and even announced an exclusive (?) in Octopath traveler in the first showing.

Switching from TV to handheld don't sound like complicated gimmicks to understand.
It's not like VR, it's not like DS, it's probably even less than 3D.
The system's strengths are portability giving it a selling point to ports to a weaker system that wouldn't be there before. There's also a local co-op focus, MH should've shown this appeal already but with two joycons you can probably do more.
There are motion controls, but the people buying Switch don't want gimmicky tacked on garbage like Way of the Hado. ARMS will probably show how motion controls on Switch will work.
Going through this thought process now should be concerning to most people expecting stuff like Monster Hunter on Switch any time soon

This is exactly what I feel reading that quote. Nintendo has tried very hard to make the Switch standard enough to not require any unique inputs or gimmicks, yet here we have Capcom treating it exactly as if it was the same "alternate" type of system like the DS and Wii. Without any good reason for doing so. Hell, the top selling game on the console is as "core" and non-gimmicky as you can possibly get. Why is that being ignored here?

Quite concerning.

I'm willing to bet PS4 sales in Japan would see quite a bump if MonHun was exclusive to it. But, yeah we'll see soon enough (hopefully).

Lol no. It would do basically nothing of significant note to hardware. You'll get a bump but you aren't seeing an explosion in hardware with sustained tail.

Oregano

Dragon's Dogma clearly isn't suited for the Switch. Who wants to play an Open World Action RPG on the Switch?

Don't be crazy.

Red Devil

This is exactly what I feel reading that quote. Nintendo has tried very hard to make the Switch standard enough to not require any unique inputs or gimmicks, yet here we have Capcom treating it exactly as if it was the same "alternate" type of system like the DS and Wii. Without any good reason for doing so. Hell, the top selling game on the console is as "core" and non-gimmicky as you can possibly get. Why is that being ignored here?

Quite concerning.
BOTW doesn't even have HD rumble.
Switch didn't even get the NES Disney games ported which is basically 1:1 their target audience.
I'd also take the quote as another confirmation that the 4chan rumor has a lot of merit to it and that Capcom decided that MH5 skipping Switch made a lot of sense to them.

Neff

Capcom's just being super-cautious. Switch is obviously going to become a platform with a bright future, and Capcom is obviously going to continue to support it. And there's a lot more information Capcom can glean from USFII's performance beyond the appeal of fighters and/or Capcom games in general on Switch.

The games will come, they just need to careful and informed about projects going forward because they're sadly not the relatively carefree company they were ten years ago.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It seems some (most?) 3rd parties saw Switch as a Wii U successor.

And a few see it as the 3DS successor.

Capcom sure seems to be thinking of the former.

Obviously companies have just been caught with their pants down again over the Switch's early success, they didn't expect much at all and now it's like oh shit how do I get a quick piece of that pie! It's the Wii all over again.

How many times does the industry need to be reminded not to count Nintendo out? :/

BOTW doesn't even have HD rumble.
Switch didn't even get the NES Disney games ported which is basically 1:1 their target audience.
I'd also take the quote as another confirmation that the 4chan rumor has a lot of merit to it and that Capcom decided that MH5 skipping Switch made a lot of sense to them.

I can understand The Disney Afternoon skipping Switch, as it was likely in development long before Digital Eclipse could be given access to dev kits.

We'll know for sure how serious Capcom is taking the Switch when the rumored Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 skips it. And I won't be remotely surprised if it does.

Red Devil

I can understand The Disney Afternoon skipping Switch, as it was likely in development long before Digital Eclipse could be given access to dev kits.

We'll know for sure how serious Capcom is taking the Switch when the rumored Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 skips it. And I won't be remotely surprised if it does.

And then they'll release MM1-6 on VC heh.

This is so surreal, it's sad, but it's Capcom.
First, when the wii came out they were ambitious enough to create a new game for that console, Zach and Wiki.

And second: "They need new people?" I read somewhere that was their goal to hire new people, but that was a year ago. Capcom spends a lot of $ for two new Research and Development buildings, but can't keep up with hiring staff?

Top Bottom