• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment"

dan2026

How did Monster Hunter become so ridiculously big in Japan anyway?

It seems more prevalent than even Call of Duty is in the West.

Spiegel

I thought there was a slide from the last financial report having MH4 still at 2mln. Anyway, those are official projections, they cannot downplaying with investors just because.

Nope. They removed the forecast because it was not a FY2013 game anymore

capcomfy2013revised_gqjbly.png

6 months or so vs less than 1 month and MH have long legs, so the new forecast should be higher.

Saw this on Playstation Lifestyle earlier today. How come the link to them won't work?

http://www.************************...ns-for-a-psvita-monster-hunter-at-the-moment/

The site is banned on GAF.

Weird. I wonder why?

IIRC, a while back a representative of the site was self-promoting on GAF and being real nasty. There may be other reasons as well, like excessive sensationalism, but I don't know the whole story.

A chance for MH to be multiplatform and potential to be the best selling vita game....
Are the Vita numbers that bad :(

Vita numbers aren't so bad that port wouldn't make sense. Persona 4 Golden sold very well and that was with a small userbase.

I think the main reason of MH port happening/not happening on Vita is depending on whatever deals Nintendo has made with Capcom concerning the games.

Skyzard

Banned
Isn't the 3DS version rather similar to the PSP version, doesn't seem like there would be much benefit...no-online as well?

With soul sacrifice, GE2 and PSO2, doesn't seem like there would be much point of a port to Vita. Maybe a new one from the ground up down the line.

Nope. They removed the forecast because it was not a FY2013 game anymore
6 months or so vs less than 1 month and MH have long legs, so the new forecast should be higher.

Got it, thanks for the clarification. Anyway, MH4 should top easily 3.5mln, it's unlikely it'll underperform.

Isn't the 3DS version rather similar to the PSP version, doesn't seem like there would be much benefit...no-online as well?

With soul sacrifice, GE2 and PSO2, doesn't seem like there would be much point of a port to Vita. Maybe a new one from the ground up down the line.

MH4 will have online, and it will be quite a step forward for the series in terms of gameplay.

Pikma

Banned
Well... 3DS is selling a lot, especially in Japan... and Nintendo is handling western releases...

While Nintendo are helping and pushing for the games to come over, Sony were blocking them, so no surprise there.

I can imagine Capcom might put a Monster Hunter game out on Vita if they see Soul Sacrifice having success.

Even if SS was a big super fucking giant success it wouldn't be that smart of them to enter said platform market, which is relatively small, and try to compete with it, when they have a very successful platform all for themselves.

I think so, well 4 will have online though

Tri G 3ds has no online (without using a Wii u) mh4 will have online

VanWinkle

In japan Mh3g has outsold the biggest vita titles about 10 to 1 and has vastly outsold vita hardware

They also outsell about every game on every platform. A MH on Vita would do great numbers. Look at games that have releases on hugely popular platforms and also on Vita and its not like you'll see an insane difference like Muramasa and P4G.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is kinda sad, but I guess at this time, it just doesnt make sense to release it on a plattform with such a small install base? Especially if Nintendo really did offer some nice incentives to keep it exclusive.

jwhit28

Vita numbers aren't so bad that port wouldn't make sense. Persona 4 Golden sold very well and that was with a small userbase.

I think the main reason of MH port happening/not happening on Vita is depending on whatever deals Nintendo has made with Capcom concerning the games.

If the Monster Hunter crew is as petty as everyone says they are, I'm sure Sony releasing their own replacement Hunter-style game didn't help the relationship.

jeremy1456

From the moment it was announced at no point did it look like the Vita would ever come close to competing with the 3DS. Not in Japan or any part of the world. Not even for a moment.

Soriku

From the moment it was announced at no point did it look like the Vita would ever come close to competing with the 3DS. Not in Japan or any part of the world. Not even for a moment.

Quite a few people thought the Vita had an advantage when both it and the 3DS were priced at $250.

jeremy1456

When the price of the Vita was unvailed the 3DS was also 250.

Software sells hardware.

This isn't hard to grasp. Nintendo has the most popular franchises worldwide and Sony does not, and third parties were shy day 1 when it came to the Vita.

There was a sect of GAF that thought the Vita stood a chance, but this was based more on hopes and dreams.

Tis a shame, but I'll go wherever MH is at. At least Vita has some interesting titles that may be worth checking out for me that's some what like MH.

Spiegel

Got it, thanks for the clarification. Anyway, MH4 should top easily 3.5mln, it's unlikely it'll underperform.

Yeah. Iirc Capcom expected MHP3 to sell 3.6M in ~4 months and they ended shipping a million more, but they'll probably have a more conservative forecast for MH4 (3M?).

Korigama

A chance for MH to be multiplatform and potential to be the best selling vita game....
Are the Vita numbers that bad :(
The problem with a multiplatform portable MH is the fact that the game is so dependent upon the social gaming angle in Japan. Having two separate versions on two completely incompatible platforms would only divide the base, and make it inconvenient to organize playing the game locally. It would benefit Capcom more to keep the focus on 3DS with MH at this point, and consider a Vita-exclusive one in the future if its performance becomes more favorable than what it is right now.

Videoneon

My fault for missing two words. Not doing myself any favors.

I think he was just talking about the "Capcpom"...

In any case, what's with this supposed Nintendo-Monster Hunter deal? This is the first I've heard of it, and it must have been a pricey moneyhat.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Software sells hardware.

This isn't hard to grasp. Nintendo has the most popular franchises worldwide and Sony does not, and third parties were shy day 1 when it came to the Vita.

There was a sect of GAF that thought the Vita stood a chance, but this was based more on hopes and dreams.

Please stop. Hindsight is always 20/20.

So? If you want to play Monster Hunter go buy a 3DS/Wii U.

Problem solved.

Not everyone wants to buy a new system to play a single game. We already saw this with Bayonetta 2.

Skyzard

Banned
Software sells hardware.

Nintendo games hardly appeal to the same demographic that Vita is targeting.

How does that benefit us?

Who? Sony fans? Well..Sony will have to try harder.

Why would they need to fight, capcpom knows what side their bread is buttered by now

Preventing MH fans from getting it on Vita and being able to skip a 3DS really.

In any case, what's with this supposed Nintendo-Monster Hunter deal? This is the first I've heard of it, and it must have been a pricey moneyhat.
Holy shit

Holy shit I didnt even notice that. Me misreading consecutively argh.

Thats really well done

serplux

It's a may-or-may-not-be-true deal between Nintendo and Capcom that says that Nintendo gets Monster Hunter exclusivity for 2 years (starting from some unspecified time).

DaBoss

No offense to some of you, but I always find it aggravating when people who don't know much about MH talking about it. I should get over it.

Was PSP outselling DS in Japan before Capcom made Monster Hunter on the PSP?

Not sure, but the PSP games were all enhanced ports of the PS2 games and Wii's MHTri. They can be considered new entries with how much they changed and what they brought. Besides, the DS was never optimal for MH like the PSP was.

jeremy1456

Nintendo games hardly appeal to the same demographic that Vita is.

They are competing hardware no matter how you look at it.

Are we to assume that only 2 million of the PSP fan base own a 3DS based on Monster Hunter sales?

You're assuming there is zero cross over between the fan bases which is just crazy.

DaBoss

Why did Sony decline to publish Monster Hunter outside of Japan?

SCEA didn't want to implement an Ad-hoc solution for MHP3rd HD or something like that. I just know that MHP3rd HD didn't have actual online and it would be the only game with that solution released in the west.

Top Bottom