• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment"

I know what you meant, hence what I said. Ie, what you meant isn't true, nothing would force them to do that as nothing forced them and other companies to do that in my examples.

Perhaps in such circumstances with games like Soul Sacrifice they would want to compete with them on a visual level, unless Capcoms gonna Capcom and expect it to sell for just being a Monster Hunter game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Perhaps in such circumstances with games like Soul Sacrifice they would want to compete with them on a visual level, unless Capcoms gonna Capcom and expect it to sell for just being a Monster Hunter game.
They already compete with them and win, nothing stops people from buying Vita + Soul Sacrifice (or any other MonHun clone) instead of 3DS + MonHun. But people don't.

Besides, the HD versions of previous MonHuns show the artistic direction is enough for them to look great just with a little cleaned up image quality, sharper shadows, etc, nothing of significant effort.

But you're right, they could choose to go all out. But they also could choose not to. So it's a choice, not something they'd be forced to do as you imply, with that being the reason it's not on that platform at all.

"Sorry, we've got no plans for a PSVita Monster Hunter at the moment"

Capcom's Vita support has been woeful so far, I don't think it'll ever get any better.

jeremy1456

Popular franchises in Japan have never needed to compete with modern games for tech.

Look at Dragon Quest, Pokemon, and NSMB.

People are getting absolutely crazy here.

MightyKAC

I doubt Nintendo paid for a 3DS port.

Resident Evil always hit Nintendo platforms in one way or another, and pretty much all of them sell well.

Capcom has ALWAYS been in bed with Nntendo. And no matter how much money they make with Sony or anyone else they will always seem to prefer Nintendo no matter how well their brand is doing.

There's a rather simple reason why MH did not go to Vita.

They had the choice of going with Nintendo and the 3DS, a platform with guaranteed system sellers and have the opportunity to expose MH to new audiences. Or they could go with Sony and the Vita, a successor to a platform where Monster Hunter was the sole mega-franchise, and sell to an audience that they already had.

It's a rather easy choice.

saichi

Why does it have to sell that much? Would a potential MH4 Vita version need to sell 3 million for them to justify it? Would a number under 3 million not be considered "great numbers"?

Nope but based on VITA user base, first MH on VITA would likely to sell less than 1 mil and with the assumption of 3 mil on 3DS, it's over 2 mil difference which would contradict your statement of Look at games that have releases on hugely popular platforms and also on Vita and its not like you'll see an insane difference like Muramasa and P4G.

In addition, there are people on GAF considering MH3G not selling "great numbers" despite it outperformed Capcom's expectation by 25%. The interpretation of "great numbers" varies.

jeremy1456

Yes, a business that once moved Resident Evil to the second worst selling platform of the generation.

You act like there were more than three consoles.

I guess it was bad business to release anything on PS3 because it was the second worst selling console, huh?

iMerc

guys it's been over 5 years since MonHun primarily became a nintendo system franchise.
get over it already.

you know what system you need to buy if you want to enjoy this property.
it's ok. breathe.

ps4 is still going to be an amazing console to own. psvita is still worth owning, despite its haters.
the world will continue to spin ever so slowly just like it always has, and our pockets will continue to be gauged by rising oil prices.

why don't we all stop being such raging console warriors and grow up a little eh?

Takao

Banned
If you disagree then please tell me why Capcom didn't bother to put a console version of MHP3 on Wii rather than PS3?

I would love to hear it.

Because Wii was dead for third party support in 2011, and it's been rumored that Sony was the reason MHP3rd HD exists?

You act like there were more than three consoles.

I guess it was bad business to release anything on PS3 because it was the second worst selling console, huh?

I was referring to the Gamecube, and counting the Dreamcast in that generation. The PS2 is the best selling video game platform of all time and had no mainline Resident Evil developed for it. It just got ports from Dreamcast and Gamecube with spinoffs no one remembers anymore.

Anyone still expecting Monster Hunter Vita at this stage is deluded.
Yes, a business that once moved Resident Evil to the second worst selling platform of the generation.
I thought that was more Mikami. And it was more to do with difficulty to develop for the PS2.

jeremy1456

Because Wii was dead for third party support in 2011, and it's been rumored that Sony was the reason MHP3rd HD exists?

Wouldn't a third party software drought be the best time to, you know, release a game? Also, fan base was already on Wii.

The second part is a rumor that I never heard before. Probably originated here just like DQ9 on PSP and MH4 Vita.

serplux

...you do remember the fact that the N64 got 3 games from Capcom, 2 of them being ports, and one of them being Tetris, right?

And I'm sure you remember the reason why Resident Evil 4 went to Nintendo.

I thought that was more Mikami. And it was more to do with difficulty to develop for the PS2.

And even then, they talked with Microsoft first.

jeremy1456

I was referring to the Gamecube, and counting the Dreamcast in that generation. The PS2 is the best selling video game platform of all time and had no mainline Resident Evil developed for it. It just got ports from Dreamcast and Gamecube with spinoffs no one remembers anymore.

Oh you're talking worldwide sales.

I thought this was strictly Japanese sales discussion, because as you should know, it's the main fan base.

...you do remember the fact that the N64 got 3 games from Capcom, 2 of them being ports, and one of them being Tetris, right?

The Tetris game was an arcade port, and was also released on Playstation. So yeah, that wasn't exclusive either. And of the other two, one (RE2) was outsourced to an American team... only Mega Man 64 was actually internal. Well, that and RE0, which of course started out on N64 before getting moved over to the GC during development.

So yeah, it's not inevitable that this will happen just because Capcom had great support for the company's previous platform...

I must say though, I do enjoy this highly rational "CAPCOM is a business" talk; while concurrently we regularly get proclamations of things like "third parties hate Nintendo" "they're trying to sabotage the Wii U" and that whole EA is being spiteful thing being held as gospel etc. etc. etc.

DaBoss

I must say though, I do enjoy this highly rational "CAPCOM is a business" talk; while concurrently we regularly get proclamations of things like "third parties hate Nintendo" "they're trying to sabotage the Wii U" and that whole EA is being spiteful thing being held as gospel etc. etc. etc.

Anybody who uses the "business decision" reasoning is bound to be a hypocrite at some point.

Wasn't Monster Hunter Online shown on a Vita?

MHP3rd was shown running on it. Not sure if it was the HD version ported to Vita or if it was just the PSP version with dual analog support.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Capcom is just weird when making decision when it comes to releasing to platforms. See Capcom 5 "exclusive" on Gamecube.

Ridley327

I bet that Capcom wanted to port it to a home console but Nintendo wouldn't allow it to cross play with anything other than their console.

I highly doubt any money was involved at all.

Maybe not money, but I'm sure Capcom was thrilled when Nintendo lent a hand with the advertising for Tri outside of Japan, and I'm sure that they're even more thrilled that Nintendo makes it a point to feature MH3U as a part of their existing line-up (as evidenced by the callout in the last Nintendo Direct, as well as a feature spot on the eShop), in addition to hosting all of their servers for online play now. It's as good as a moneyhat without it being a moneyhat.

I'll never forget the Outbreak games ;-;
Capcom pleasssse

Kurod

Banned
Anybody who uses the "business decision" reasoning is bound to be a hypocrite at some point.

MHP3rd was shown running on it. Not sure if it was the HD version ported to Vita or if it was just the PSP version with dual analog support.

It was just the straight up PSP version.

Takao

Banned

Mikami is a game director. He could bitch, and moan about how hard a platform is to develop for but it's up to his superior's to decide that. They could've easily told him to deal with it.

Oh you're talking worldwide sales.

I thought this was strictly Japanese sales discussion, because as you should know, it's the main fan base.

Err, I was talking about Resident Evil. I never knew that franchise's main fanbase was in Japan ...

The reason I brought up Resident Evil in the first place is because of the whole "Capcom is a business, they don't do charity" sentiment in this thread. The Gamecube having more mainline entries in Resident Evil than the PS2 makes it quite clear that this company doesn't always act like a business as long as someone pays them.

Wouldn't a third party software drought be the best time to, you know, release a game? Also, fan base was already on Wii.

The second part is a rumor that I never heard before. Probably originated here just like DQ9 on PSP and MH4 Vita.

There's droughts, and then there's the Wii software lineup in 2011 from third parties. They abandoned the platform. Hardware sales in Japan were drying up quickly, and PS3 made sense as a platform.

As for the comment in regards to Sony, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD was the first in the line of the PSP Remasters program. That was started by Sony as a way for publishers to easily port content from PSP to PS3 using tools developed by ... Sony. Based on the way MHP3rd HD turned out it's seems to be a fairly automatic process. I'd be surprised if Sony had nothing to do with MHP3rd HD existing.

Refer to the earlier part of my post on why I brought up Resident Evil.

If one simply takes the relatively cynical wholesale position that money makes the world go round, or at least the world of large publicly traded corporations, it's far easier to be consistent.

Sure there are bound to be a few occasional exceptions where personalities have clashed or deals have gone sour, and the resultant fall-out has led to reluctance to do future business. Mikami and the GameCube; Akihiro Hino and Microsoft, probably other examples that escape me. There may be a grain of truth in the hullabaloo around EA and Nintendo even. Business is about relationships too of course.

But at the end of the day the almighty dollar/euro/yen rules more often than not.

quanchu

I think the street fighter x tekken 12 character dlc drama ruined capcom's interest in the vita. Also i think the game sold like 5000 copies on day 1.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
If you really want to play portable MH that badly, you'll get a 3DS for it. A Vita version would be nice, but I'm satisfied they're adding online to MH4.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Completely fine

KuGsj.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, what was Capcom's lineup for PS2 and GCN?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Isn't it rumored that Sony (America) is also the reason P3rd HD never got localized anywhere?

Takao

Banned
Just wondering, what was Capcom's lineup for PS2 and GCN?

PS2 had more everything except mainline RE.

I think the street fighter x tekken 12 character dlc drama ruined capcom's interest in the vita. Also i think the game sold like 5000 copies on day 1.

That's another laugh against the "Capcom is a business, they don't do charity" idea. Anyone with eyes could tell SFxT was gonna bomb hard on Vita but instead of canceling it they released it. It was pretty clear that Sony paid for that though.

Isn't it rumored that Sony (America) is also the reason P3rd HD never got localized anywhere?

It's not a rumor. Sven's said as much. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD uses SCEJ's network infrastructure to connect online. Neither SCEE, or SCEA have that, nor were they willing to build that for a single game.

Top Bottom