• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment"

flippedb

Banned
Huh?

360 - Monster Hunter Frontier
PS3 - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD
PSP - A lot
Wii U - Monster Hunter Tri G HD
Wii - Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter Tri
3DS - Monster Hunter Tri G, Monster Hunter 4

PSVita - Nothing

DS has been discontinued so I don't count that anymore, even if it wasn't DS never got an MH because it couldn't run one. Vita can run a Monster Hunter.

wut
Portable, I meant. Hadn't seen the bigger picture, though. You could say it has a port, which is basically the same PS3 got.

Takao

Banned
Isn't that just because it's already playable?

Not in North America or Europe. The game was never released outside of Japan.

Portable, I meant. Hadn't seen the bigger picture, though. You could say it has a port, which is basically the same PS3 got.

You could say that, but then you'd be lying. The only Monster Hunter games playable on Vita are the PSP ones via backwards compatibility. Capcom did nothing to those games to make them run on Vita.

Not in North America or Europe. The game was never released outside of Japan.

I know that. But I guess you have a point. Working with Sony on a new title in Japan is probably not something they would do if they're not even willing to localize Type 0 for the Vita, I guess.

The full quote:"We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment because our devs decided next gen is too hard. So they're going to keep rehashing the same game that was originally released on the PS2, except make it look even worse."

Also, any Capcom branch outside of Japan is out of the loop. They have put out false statements in the past. I'm hard on this franchise because its one if my favorites. every new iteration is more frustrating than the last because of how it never advances. mh deserves to be open world HD with physics.

jineha

Neo Member
People always complain that Nintendo has no third parties support,.
Once N gets one people also complain. Even Sony the first party ignores Vita. Why should Capcom take care of it?

OryoN

A bit of sorrow over this matter, I see.

Hmm, take a scenario like this, then multiply it by the number of just-about-every-major-3rd-party-game-out-there, and then you'll understand a mere fraction of the frustration Nintendo console owners deal with, especially these days.

pftt, amateur sufferers! ;p

Why do these threads contain over-complicated reasoning when "moneyhats" would suffice?

And we all know a MH for Vita in Japan would have moved systems like crazy, which would have made the "Vita isn't selling well" argument irrelevant.

If Capcom brings anything else to the platform at this point, no matter how small-scale, I'd be surprised.

Word. I'd be surprised if beyond 2013 any major publishers puts a game on the vita. Heck we don't even know if its getting NBA 2k14 of FIFA 14. Heck it didn't even get NBA2K13 or PES13 which the PSP got. I mean you can pretty much play the PES 13 on everything including your toaster but the vita didn't get a port of the game.

Why do these threads contain over-complicated reasoning when "moneyhats" would suffice?

And we all know a MH for Vita in Japan would have moved systems like crazy, which would have made the "Vita isn't selling well" argument irrelevant.

Because it's doubtful that Nintendo needed moneyhats to get MH on their system. It was simply a sound business move by Capcom to move to a Nintendo handheld. It's the least risky move you could make for a Japanese-oriented franchise.

The real question is, why should Capcom need to move systems for Sony? It's better for Capcom to already have some install base already.

Because it's doubtful that Nintendo needed moneyhats to get MH on their system. It was simply a sound business move by Capcom to move to a Nintendo handheld. It's the least risky move you could make for a Japanese-oriented franchise.

right and P3rd never got an expansion on PSP for a different reason eh

Instro

People always complain that Nintendo has no third parties support,.
Once N gets one people also complain. Even Sony the first party ignores Vita. Why should Capcom take care of it?

Nintendo has always had superior 3rd party support on their handhelds, that is an issue with their consoles.

True. The Vita has, even 1 1/2 years after release in Japan, no relevance for the Japan market (or the worrldwide market) and even Sony does nothing about this fact. Why should some publisher bother to make games for the Vita in Japan?

Wynnebeck

Banned
True. The Vita has, even 1 1/2 years after release in Japan, no relevance for the Japan market (or the worrldwide market) and even Sony does nothing about this fact. Why should some publisher bother to make games for the Vita in Japan?

What kills this same argument that keeps getting brought up is that Capcom already had a MH planned for the 3DS BEFORE the Vita was even released. Capcom had no way of knowing how the Vita would sell yet they were already making a MH for Nintendo. As for your claim that Sony is doing nothing, obviously them releasing games and cutting the price of the Vita is doing nothing. I 'd hate to see what you call Nintendo's handling of the Wii U.

Billen

Banned
Monster Hunter would make me buy a vita. Wont buy a 3ds though. Who am I kidding? I want a vita for indiegames anyway.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I dont think capcom needs to wait until the vita's initial sales to come in to make the decision of moving the franchise to the 3DS, because we already knew what was going to happen right after the vita's information was revealed, especially the memory card price.

We are just going through the motion. Even kojima who made several mgs games from the ground up for the psp, didn't pledge much support himself thus far. Just a mgs collection and vaporwaring zoe collection.

I would expect that Sony offered a sack of money for a Vita version at some point but was knocked back for some reason. It was a huge seller on PSP and it would be a shock if they didn't think to make a move to bring it to the Vita.

Yes, a business that once moved Resident Evil to the second worst selling platform of the generation.

And a business that moved Monster Hunter on the best selling platform in Japan (which is also the fastest selling platform after DS in Japan). For a Japanese-oriented IP that's not really a bad business decision, but a wise one.

Capcom is just weird when making decision when it comes to releasing to platforms. See Capcom 5 "exclusive" on Gamecube.

In this case, one can say everything but weird. 3DS was the successor of DS, and it had all the right stuffs to replicate those sales (or at least selling a lot). On top of that, you have Nintendo which is willing to bring your IP in the West and spend money on it (something that Capcom is not really willing to do given MHP3rd on PSP).

I really don't care about Vita personally, but every time I read Capcom talking about their plans, it sounds pretty much "We are not planning anything of what our fans want at the moment".

Well, given the sales of MH3U on 3DS, and the fact that Vita owners seem to be really happy having SS, GE2, etc. I don't think many people want MH on Vita at the moment.

The full quote:"We've got no plans for PS Vita Monster Hunter at the moment because our devs decided next gen is too hard. So they're going to keep rehashing the same game that was originally released on the PS2, except make it look even worse."

Also, any Capcom branch outside of Japan is out of the loop. They have put out false statements in the past. I'm hard on this franchise because its one if my favorites. every new iteration is more frustrating than the last because of how it never advances. mh deserves to be open world HD with physics.

MH4 will be quite a big step forward for the series; not open world, but way bigger areas, developed on more levels; online; a bit more of plot; not a hub-village but many of them; new moves, etc. This time they are really focusing on the gameplay side.

Also, a MH "open world HD with physics" couldn't exist at this time because it won't sell in the West (just look at how poorly Dragon's Dogma sold) and it would be too costly to develop. MH is a portable series in Japan.

What kills this same argument that keeps getting brought up is that Capcom already had a MH planned for the 3DS BEFORE the Vita was even released. Capcom had no way of knowing how the Vita would sell yet they were already making a MH for Nintendo. As for your claim that Sony is doing nothing, obviously them releasing games and cutting the price of the Vita is doing nothing. I 'd hate to see what you call Nintendo's handling of the Wii U.

Well, after watching how abysmally is selling, Capcom is probably even more justified to not bring MH on Vita, right?

Anyway, we're sure that Capcom was planning at a certain point a porting of MHP3rd on Vita. If they scrapped it, it might be because of the poor sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
No plans at the moment? Soyouretellingmethereisachance.gif hehe ;)

Seriously though, if there are any plans for it, Capcom would not confirm it at this moment, especially not when Monster Hunter 4 is "around the corner". Only time will tell.

What kills this same argument that keeps getting brought up is that Capcom already had a MH planned for the 3DS BEFORE the Vita was even released. Capcom had no way of knowing how the Vita would sell yet they were already making a MH for Nintendo.
Why are people so surprised or resistant to the idea that publishers can make platform decisions prior to their release based on projections and expectations with regard to sales?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Why are people so surprised or resistant to the idea that publishers can make platform decisions prior to their release based on projections and expectations with regard to sales?

I'm not resistant to the idea of projections but your logic is basically stating that Capcom knew the Vita was going to sell badly many months before the the thing even released which not even the staunchest of analysts would have been to make that call that early. All Vita's failings have done now is given Capcom a reason to justify not bringing anything to Vita.

cj_iwakura

I don't blame Capcom. Sony isn't supporting the Vita so why should Capcom?

Then why do you think niche developers like Falcom and 5PB are making Vita games? Because it's a better fit for the platform.

And I'm pretty sure MH would work a lot better on the Vita given its origins.

I'm not resistant to the idea of projections but your logic is basically stating that Capcom knew the Vita was going to sell badly many months before the the thing even released which not even the staunchest of analysts would have been to make that call that early. All Vita's failings have done now is given Capcom a reason to justify not bringing anything to Vita.
Why exactly?

If one assumed that there was no market for a high end handheld gaming device, or that the 3DS would monopolize the remaining handheld market that hasn't drifted towards smartphones then it would make skipping Vita development quite easy. They bet on the 3DS having the largest addressable audience for their game.

It's the same as for the Wii U. Publishers didn't "know" how bad it would sell, but if one didn't see any merit in the GamePad idea being able to move units, then it would be difficult to see it worth the opportunity cost to greenlight additional SKUs for the system. They can already reach the audience for their games on the PS3 and/or 360.

For me they're simply taking the franchise as an hostage, Sony shown a Vita retail pamphlet including MHP3 and other stuff that got release and not, but I'm sure they wouldn't list such a big shot without any confirmation from Capcom, hell they could've been sued for using their logo and such.

They surely have a rought build of MHP3 working on Vita, but didn't let any of their team to work on it because they want money, and so far Vita=/=money.

But frankly, I thank them for letting other franchise take their place on this console (Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden)

To be fair, isnt 3rd basically an expansion to Tri?
I mean, G and 3rd are both extensions of Tri

No, it isn't.

Portable series and Main series are two diferent things altogether, although for all I know MHP3rd took some things off Tri but without water areas.

In fact many were reasonably expecting a MH3rdG on PSP - that they have completely skiped so far - and not MH3U on 3DS, so it appears they have completely ditched Portable series - although 3DS is techincally a handheld, 3G is based off Tri unlike MHP3, a little confusing I know.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Portable series and Main series are two diferent things altogether
Um, they started as enhanced ports of the PS2 games, the Portable title implying that it's that game, Monster Hunter, ported to and tuned for the Playstation Portable. Like Mario 64 DS, RE4Wii, or whatever other ports.

Portable 3rd was the first to deviate from the formula, likely because they couldn't port all Tri things like the water hunts (or to keep Tri exclusive) and filled in the blanks with new content. With a later port to PS3.

Then Wii was dead so it made little sense to release Tri G on that so they went to the handheld entry first and later ported it to the home platform as above.

Tri G is also in practice as much Tri G as it is Portable 3rd G since it includes monsters and equipment and mechanics changes from 3rd with the usual G additions on top and without excluding things from Tri.

Pretty much the only things it lacks are the town/city parts of 3rd since they wouldn't have two of each in a game that isn't meant to have multiple unlike 4 and that they went with shakalakas instead of felyne helpers.

Now I guess they've realized they have no reason to release on a home platform first as it's long been established where Monster Hunter sells (and no home platform seems so great at this point) and follow suit with 4.

I doubt a Monster Hunter on Vita would be called Portable just because you seem to believe it's some wholly separate series only because of a single entry's complex background, it'd likely be Monster Hunter Vita. If it was different it would only be to keep the games platform/brand exclusive and avoid burning bridges because of how things have evolved since, not because it really always was a separate series, as it wasn't. But even that would probably be unwanted as it would then appear like some kind of spin off since the 3DS entries don't have a subtitle like that which would imply they're the primary series now.

Then why do you think niche developers like Falcom and 5PB are making Vita games? Because it's a better fit for the platform.

And I'm pretty sure MH would work a lot better on the Vita given its origins.

Niche developers don't greatly benefit from a big userbase, so the Vita works pretty well for them. But with Capcom's ambitions with the MH franchise, the Vita's userbase definitely works against it.

They started as enhanced ports of the PS2 games, the Portable title implying that it's that game, Monster Hunter, but tuned for portability.

Yeah, but aside from that, from all I know Tri runs on a diiferent engine than MHP3 and has a different art style, with diferent weapons/armoursets and whatever, and that's the point I was making.

3rd was the first to deviate from the formula, likely because they couldn't port things like the water hunts and filled in the blanks with new content. But then it was also on PS3 so once again the same as a home game.

Exactly, that's because the Ps3 version was based on Portable version and not on Wii version, whereas 3DS version is a port of Tri and not of Portable version.

Jindujun

Neo Member
No, it isn't.

Portable series and Main series are two diferent things altogether, although for all I know MHP3rd took some things off Tri but without water areas.

In fact many were reasonably expecting a MH3rdG on PSP - that they have completely skiped so far - and not MH3U on 3DS, so it appears they have completely ditched Portable series - although 3DS is techincally a handheld, 3G is based off Tri unlike MHP3, a little confusing I know.

I fail to see the difference. Sure the G versions have always been "expansions" but there is nothing about 3rd to say it isnt basically G for the PSP.
Also about your last sentence, are you saying 3G is based on Tri while 3rd isnt? If 3rd isnt based on Tri why do they share the majority of the content?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
one of Iwata's last smackdowns. Securing MH on the 3DS is basically what killed Vita before it even got released

Alexios

I fail to see the difference. Sure the G versions have always been "expansions" but there is nothing about 3rd to say it isnt basically G for the PSP.
Also about your last sentence, are you saying 3G is based on Tri while 3rd isnt? If 3rd isnt based on Tri why do they share the majority of the content?
3rd isn't G for the PSP because it doesn't have G rank, the primary characteristic of the G expansions. It's more like an alternate Tri. But again it's the only Portable entry that was so different to the home entry, all the others were much more direct ports. It was the circumstances of that single title that necessitated that change, otherwise the series was one before that and now continues as one after that regardless of what he claims.

If 3rd isnt based on Tri why do they share the majority of the content?

I'll just post two screenshots from the villages from Tri and MH3P.

dolphin2010-02-2819-46ik5z.jpg

mhps35.jpg

I gather they have brought some content from Tri to MH3P, and then again brought some other stuff - monsters, armoursets, weapons - from MH3P to MH3U, but in my understanding they run on different engines and different graphic styles altogether.

Alexios

but in my understanding they run on different engines and different graphic styles altogether.
Monster Hunter Tri is on a different engine than TriG as they moved the latter to MT Framework, so that doesn't really mean shit.

They go with what works. The engine on Wii's Tri wasn't good for either PSP or 3DS so for the former they went back to the previous game's base and for the latter to MT Framework.

Yes, Portable 3rd was a different game out of necessity, no, the Portable games weren't a different series, just tuned for the PS Portable versions, again excluding 3rd alone because of the unique circumstances of the period.

Yes, they could theoretically branch out in having two series now if they really wanted to get on Vita while keeping exclusives for both brands to keep both happy but that's not how it used to be.

Plus, they'd likely call it Vita, not Portable, unless they too feel the Portable part has gained brand strength of its own for some reason, rather than the Monster Hunter part.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

That's Sony's job and they haven't done it. It's less risky for Capcom to release it on the 3DS since Nintendo's already established that platform well in Japan and done a pretty good job worldwide.

Top Bottom