• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom would like Dragon's Dogma to sell 10M copies, be 2nd best selling PS3 in Japan

LegatoB

I'm more amused by the million units in Japan, for a PS360 game. Whatever Capcom's having, it must be really good stuff!

MechaX

If it scratches the Dark Souls itch, it will be an interesting game to move on to. However, I think they're vastly overestimating their audience, especially at that time. Fantasy dungeon hack fans will be quite busy in the second half of May...

Has Dark Souls barely gotten past 1 mil world-wide on both consoles after 6 months?

Majanew

Banned
Well they better start advertising the hell out of it. I had to YouTube the game to remind myself what game it is. Oh yeah... good luck with that, Capcom.

Ploid 3.0

Just watched a video of it (never looked into the game before now), I always wanted multiplayer RPG games to take off this gen but this didn't look too good. White Knight Chronicles was ok until the insane grinding for the next level of upgrades (forgot what level). Good luck to them, maybe the video I watched wasn't the one to show off the highlights of this game.

Reading comprehension?

We WANT this to sell 10 million copies and we're not positive it will be a success means they expect it to sell 10 million copies?

People are just making shit up now to hate on capcom.

It's a completely unrealistic desire. It's damaging to have ambitions that high, and more importantly it showcases how unaware they are of their game's relevance in the market today. How is that not a bad thing?

Just watched a video of it (never looked into the game before now), I always wanted multiplayer RPG games to take off this gen but this didn't look too good. White Knight Chronicles was ok until the insane grinding for the next level of upgrades (forgot what level). Good luck to them, maybe the video I watched wasn't the one to show off the highlights of this game.

Yeah... about that.

The main reason why this game fails is no multiplayer

Capcom is crazy with there projections. Wasn't there another game recently they thought was going to sell well for some reason?

Anth0ny

isn't this the game that comes free with the RE6 demo?

there's lots of RE fans but I don't think there's that many.

VashTS

Here's to hoping they awkwardly climb their way to 10 million!!

5Byo3.gif

I feel like Capcom will put themselves up for sale when Dragon's Dogma bombs, DmC bombs and they run out of fighting game ports. Good opportunity for Konami or Sony to swoop in.

Yeah, and then do nothing with Capcom's IPs, just like what we're getting now. Or did we get a new Bomberman or Bloody Roar game while I wasn't looking?

Kyoufu

They think they can be the second best selling PS3 game of all time in Japan.

How is this remotely sane?

A little sane because the 2nd best selling game on PS3 hasn't reached 1 million.

I don't think they can beat One Piece Musou or Tales of Xillia though.

It's a completely unrealistic desire. It's damaging to have ambitions that high, and more importantly it showcases how unaware they are of their game's relevance in the market today. How is that not a bad thing?

The company expectation is for it to sell 1.5m. That seems pretty realistic to me.

Xater

When is this coming out again? Oh right, Diablo 3/Max Payne 3 month. This will not got well for Capcom. I almost feel sorry for them but then again they have done so much shit lately that it's kinda funny.

Setero

Neo Member
Capcom has such truly unrealistic expectations, something tells me they are trying to get the Skyrim crowd.

AHA-Lambda

ok can i ask why capcom are so stupid to A) give a game like this such a huge budget (their biggest team ever wasn't it?)? and B) seriously expect this to sell 10 millon?

We're talking skyrim numbers here for god sake!!!

Also didn't they previously expect a loss on this title? -_-

Kyoufu

When is this coming out again? Oh right, Diablo 3/Max Payne 3 month. This will not got well for Capcom. I almost feel sorry for them but then again they have done so much shit lately that it's kinda funny.

I'm not buying Max Payne 3 over Dragon's Dogma.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If they had a really well done PC port ready to go on day 1 that'd probably sell a couple of million in Europe.

Oh well, their loss.

I think it's a mistranslation. What Capcpom was trying to express is that they're going to "split the game up into 10 million pieces of DLC".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
HAHAHAHAHA

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this kind of game. But levels of expectation near Earth would be nice or it's going to kill good will to move forward with these things.

Isn't this a pretty apt comparison? Didn't Capcom also spend way too much money and ressources developing this game?

Don't think we have metrics or statements to say "too much money," but if it's their biggest project to date, then it's probably still "A whole helluva lot of money"

10 million units? Those expectations are unrealistic. Game is a new IP with no fanbase. So yea. No way in frozen hell its hitting anywhere near that number.

Right, that is realistic. It's good they have that. But just expressing that higher wish is bizarre to me.

I think it just shows that they committed to trying to make this game a big success. They've been releasing more media recently, doing live streams and they've attached a demo for their biggest property to it. They also have a demo for DD planned before the release. So they're doing a lot to try to get it noticed. Will it work? Only time will tell. But they should be able to hit that 1.5m number without too much trouble.

Top Bottom