• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom would like Dragon's Dogma to sell 10M copies, be 2nd best selling PS3 in Japan

boingball

10 million?

th

Perhaps if they release a free iPad version.

golem

Dragon's dogma looks good gameplay wise.. but the bland art style, no multiplayer, and lack of marketing won't help it reach 10mil.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Had a prequel on PS2 and was from the Company that brought out GTA.

Being an established franchise =/= having a prequel about which people don't know shit and don't care. Also people don't care about who made the game when we talk about people buying something en masse.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Lack of advertising is something that all of those games have in common. Dragon's Dogma isn't going to have that problem. Capcom will market it for two reasons

1.) It's their most expensive production ever and they need it to sell.

2.) They're shipping it with a pass to play the RE6 demo.

It also isn't an action game in the same way that those games are. It's Capcom's attempt at an open world game.

Well, if it's open world and it's an RPG to boot, I might have to pay closer attention come review time. Those genres are my favorites...and together that would be even better. :)

I think I ignored it from the initial screens I saw in magazines and that it's from Capcom, who has let me down a bit in recent years. I thought it was more of an action game where you kill dragons and stuff.

I have my copy preordered, I was sold 45 seconds into the announcement trailer. But there's no way it's going to be a huge hit. It should be, but it won't. I just hope it doesn't bomb badly either.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Okay, I finally watched the Youtube video and I was surprised. Went from off my radar and to a "when the heck does this release!?" May, so I have time to get some Amazon credit just in case the game reviews well. :)

I think the name sucks, especially for a new IP that hopes to sell a crap ton. Sounds too generic, but whatever.

Conor 419

Banned
Even with a metascore of 90+ I don't really see this happening. The game looks good and all but I really wanted it to be online co-op, which it isn't...

I'm jumping in to this thread late without reading the whole thing but wasn't the real context of this quote basically one guy saying "Hey it would be awesome if we could sell 10 million units!" as opposed to him saying "Yeah we EXPECT to sell 10 million units."?

If so, why is this thread so long?

Bruno MB

I'm afraid (because the game looks great, I will be getting it on day one) nothing can stop Dragon's Dogma from being one of the biggest bombs of this generation.

They can be tremendously pleased if this title manages to sell 250k - 300k units in Japan.

Worldwide I see a million or so shipment that it will take ages to be sold if ever.

What was the last console new IP that managed to sell over 1 million units in Japan?

I'm not sure if it was Onimusha.

Raide

Spending all this money trying to make something that resembles Monster Hunter but with no brand recognition? Maybe they should have spent the money on getting more Monster Hunter in the west instead.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
They'll barely sell 1ml of this game lol, let alone 10ml copies ahah ~

Capcpom wants PS3 version to be the 2nd best selling PS3 game in Japan, gives 360 version timed exclusive Resident Evil 6 demo with the game.

Bruno MB

Spending all this money trying to make something that resembles Monster Hunter but with no brand recognition? Maybe they should have spent the money on getting more Monster Hunter in the west instead.

The west already rejected Monster Hunter so I don't see any reason to give it a high push, I say the same about Dragon Quest. They will never be mainstream.

Mik2121

Being an established franchise =/= having a prequel about which people don't know shit and don't care. Also people don't care about who made the game when we talk about people buying something en masse.

That's absolutely untrue. Red Dead Redemption sold a lot because it was an amazing game, but also because it was made by the creators of GTA, and many people pretty much expected a "GTA with cowboys".
I bet the same will happen with whatever next title Bungie releases. The creators of Halo releasing a new game? A lot of people won't really care much about it as far as it even slightly resembles Halo (ie, science fiction theme, shooting around...).

For this game though, not many people in the western really loved Monster Hunter all that much. I think it will mostly sell thanks to word of mouth as soon as it gets released. I will be buying the game because it looks great, though :)

BadWolf

It looks solid but doesn't feel like it will sell big.

Seems like they sort of want it to be another MH but multiplayer is a big part of why that series is so popular in Japan, no such luck with this game.

monome

Dragon's Dogma seems extremely polished.

I find Skyrim a bit clunky and I am much more enthralled at the idea of a 3rd person action fantasy game that I wished to admit prior the game's reveal.

I don't get the laughs, it shows it's well rounded product.

Hellraider

The west already rejected Monster Hunter so I don't see any reason to give it a high push, I say the same about Dragon Quest. They will never be mainstream.

Monster Hunter is not that similar to Dragon's Dogma.I don't understand why everyone keeps mentioning MonHun.Comparisons with Souls series or hell even a W-RPG are much more accurate.

Also guys chill out.It's not like they are projecting 10m sales.Itsuno said he would like to.Every developer would like his game to sell 10m it has nothing to do with how much it will and how much it has to sell.

Bruno MB

Monster Hunter is not that similar to Dragon's Dogma.I don't understand why everyone keeps mentioning MonHun.Comparisons with Souls series or hell even a W-RPG are much more accurate.

Also guys chill out.It's not like they are projecting 10m sales.Itsuno said he would like to.Every developer would like his game to sell 10m it has nothing to do with how much it will and how much it has to sell.

I didn't say that. In fact I've always said otherwise hence why I like Dragon's Dogma.

I was addressing to a poster that suggested that Capcom maybe should spend the money on getting more Monster Hunter in the west instead of developing Dragon's Dogma.

Hellraider

I didn't say that. In fact I've always said otherwise hence why I like Dragon's Dogma.

I was addressing to a poster that suggested that Capcom maybe should spend the money on getting more Monster Hunter in the west instead of developing Dragon's Dogma.

Oh, then just ignore me. :p

I agree with you.DD has more chances of success in the west rather than MH and it would be wise for capcom to put their money on the first.But having more chances than MH doesn't mean DD will definitely succeed.

faridmon

Hahah. That is twice as many people as the population of Norway.
Capcom, keep on doing what you are doing, if nothing else, you deliver the entertainment package to Neogaf.

Ahasverus

Graphics are insane, it looks a little barren though, hope I'm wrong. It's kinda sad that we're starting to see good intriguing games at the end of the generation :(

Nah, doesn't matter. Anything that an employee says is considered to be an official line from the company itself; even if Itsuno had said that he wants the game to be bundled with ketamine so that everyone can have an out-of-body experience, that would be considered Capcpom's stance.

The good thing about this line of thinking is that it leaves Itsuno himself free of scrutiny and his reputation intact, which will allow him to glide back into people's good graces when he eventually heads back to helm Devil May Cry 5
and Gaiden. And maybe something based on the novels. And then 6, 7, 8, or however many games Capcom demands to offset the massive costs (and bomba) of Itsuno's dream project.

Psy-Phi

Hadn't heard of Dragon's Dogma until now. After watching the vid on that site, I am very interested.

Hoping for 10 million is borderline insane for a first game in a series. It might be possible, only because we're so far into the generations that there could possibly be 10 million people in the world willing to give this a shot on one of the two platforms it's on. However, that's a huge fucking number of people for a genre that generally doesn't sell like that.

It's nice to have hope though. I just hope they won't be disappointed when it sells 1.2 million.

When was the last time a new IP broke a million in Japan for a single iteration, let alone its first iteration? Monster Hunter? Layton? Inazuma?

It sure as fuck won't happen on PS3.

And I'm loving the use of that Calvin & Hobbes .jpg all over the place.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
10 millions!! 2nd best selling title on PS3? that crazy.

Closest thing we can compare to here is Dark Souls I guess (fantasy medieval themed game made by a Japanese studio) , so how much Dark Souls sold on consoles and in Japan on PS3?

Top Bottom