• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down (PS4) is an online game, TGS debut [Reading-RPG, online required]

Deep Down, The Division, Titan Fall, Sunset OverDrive, Destiny, DriveClub (technically it does have SP)

There is a clear effort to get people to game online through AAA titles, but with the paywall on both consoles it's just keeping me away from jumping into next gen. Keep it up guys.

I still feel this is a direction from the big pubs to phase out $60 games and try to get subscription based games to a more mainstream audience. I guarantee you at the end of next gen you'll see them try to get you to pay $10 a month for their games. And you'll have journalist spin this too "Is $60 really fair for hundreds of hours of entertainment managed by expensive datacenters and the powerzz of the cloud?"

Pistolero

Capcom's Deep Down (PS4) is an online game

online game

M29uz.gif

Madouu

It would be a shame if this ends up being disappointing, I'm looking forward to TGS to see how it plays exactly.

Bedlam

More like DEEP DOWNGRADE, am I rite?

Seriously, when will developers learn that prerendered, or even real-time but not ingame, trailers actually hurt the product in the end? From now on every screenshot, video and the final game will be measured by what was shown in the reveal trailer. And even if this game looks pretty good in the end, there's no chance they reach that kind of visual fidelity. This game will always have a scent of disappointment attached to it.

And yeah, the online-focus might be a dealbreaker for me. I'd be on board with a Monster Hunter/Dark Souls type game but if it gets more into MMO territory, with no SP at all, then I'm out. One more game to strike off the "must buy"-list.

Seriously, when will developers learn that some prerendered, or even real-time but not ingame, trailer actually hurt the product in the end? From now on every screenshot, video and the final game will be measured by what was shown in the reveal trailer. And even if this game looks pretty good in the end, there's no chance they reach that kind of visual fidelity.

lol, GAF doesn't sell video games. These trailers do.

orioto

Good Art™

Seriously, when will developers learn that some prerendered, or even real-time but not ingame, trailer actually hurt the product in the end? From now on every screenshot, video and the final game will be measured by what was shown in the reveal trailer. And even if this game looks pretty good in the end, there's no chance they reach that kind of visual fidelity.

There is every chance if they have money and time to do so.
It's probable that demo was done without a real game behind it, and maybe they didn't even had the budget to do what they wanted after that.

shink

Online titles don't interest me to be honest, and that blue thing just looks unappealing. Still would like to see more though.

Carcetti

Why the panic over online before we know anything more? Let's imagine it's an upgrade of Dragon's Dogma... you get summoned to help in someone's game instead of your pawn. Would people hate co-op Dragon's Dogma?

duckroll

Why the panic over online before we know anything more? Let's imagine it's an upgrade of Dragon's Dogma... you get summoned to help in someone's game instead of your pawn. Would people hate co-op Dragon's Dogma?

There's a difference between "online" and "Capcom Online Games". :(

Hollow

So many people getting their panties in a twist.

I'll hold out for more info at TGS before I write this off just yet.
And the online aspect hasn't even been detailed, yet. It could work similarly to Demon's/Dark Souls. People get too worked up at the thought of online in an RPG and automatically assume it's an MMO.

SMH

c0de

Link please? I may have missed that and not finding it on search. The one I found said it ran on PS4.

"The Deep Down demo ran in real time at the PS4 presentation and displayed between 10 and 20 million polygons per frame. It had a variable frame rate above 30 frames per second and a total texture capacity of 2 GB. It ran 30 different shaders at the same time.

The demo can run on a PC with an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 570, 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel Core i7 CPU. The development machines used at Capcom have Geforce GTX 680 and GTX 590 GPUs.

The peak performance of the PS4 is lower than that of an high end PC theoretically, but due to the ease of development and the streamlined architecture there are areas in which it can be superior"

Definitely!

c0de

Like I've already said... it looks like a current-gen game (a bad one).

more like a sad one... I still can't believe and understand that and why companies showed us tech-demos again which have close to nothing to do with what we will see on the actual hardware. Every gen it happens again. I can get used to bullshots but not this crap.

Those screencaps actually look worse than current gen.

They look sorta on par with Infinity Blade maxed out.

Perhaps there's an iOS version that will feature later. It could be plausable considering it now Cacpcom Online Games in control of this IP?

CG Trailer Deep Down would be pretty revolutionary to me though.

That dragon was intimidating, i'd genuinely be scared to kill it like no game has ever offered. Games with that level of graphics could be scary as hell, dat immersion.

JudgeB

Banned
Those trailer graphics though.

edit: Capcom Online Games? You mean the ones who just announced the 12 blockbuster iOS titles? Ya, this game is losing hype quickly.

Elios83

Game being online only and being developed by Capcom Online Games (the same of the iOS/Android games) means that I can look elsewhere.

nasos_333

Damn, this is the worst news ever

I dont play online games, so one of the most intriguing next gen titles has just been scraped from my list

Grave news, could have been such an amazing real game experience, than some random online generic title

The concept of what the game appears to be is actually close to what I originally hoped, judging from the first trailer and now this.

I think it is safe to assume it is a horror, set deep underground. Which is pretty fucking sweet.

But those graphics...I don't know about that and online...similarly. I'll wait and see.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Much like their iOS announcement games, I see no reason to have any worries yet.

Let's not go full on diva with the overreactions just now.

Christhor

Aw man, it's going to have more online than Dragon's Dogma did? But that game had the perfect kind of online. I don't want random people to shit up my game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Deep Down, The Division, Titan Fall, Sunset OverDrive, Destiny, DriveClub (technically it does have SP)

There is a clear effort to get people to game online through AAA titles, but with the paywall on both consoles it's just keeping me away from jumping into next gen. Keep it up guys.

I still feel this is a direction from the big pubs to phase out $60 games and try to get subscription based games to a more mainstream audience. I guarantee you at the end of next gen you'll see them try to get you to pay $10 a month for their games. And you'll have journalist spin this too "Is $60 really fair for hundreds of hours of entertainment managed by expensive datacenters and the powerzz of the cloud?"
Subscription fees won't be their target, microtransactions will.

So deep down is now the official name? There's no working title listed next to it anymore, and they've obviously registered a domain for it.

yeah it seems to have a logo and everything with ™:
deepdownlogo.jpg

a very modern or even futuristic logo? Assassins Creed -style virtual reality confirmed!! :D

That... logo, not medieval at all. Giving me Assassin's Creed teas. Oh god. EDIT: Damn Noisepurge!

Anyway, online? YAS LORD

PS4 system-seller here, please don't have subscriptions.

I think people should keep in mind that the game is now associated with Capcom Online Games. This puts it in the same stable as browser games, smartphone games, social/mobile stuff, and subscription based online Monster Hunter. It doesn't mean it's a MMO, but it does mean that the people in charge of producing and marketing this title are the same guys handling the other stuff I mentioned. Food for thought.

Edit: These threads should give you a good idea of the kind of management which is behind this game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641243

Why I got the feel that the whole concept was "downgraded"?. It certainly looked like the next gen AAA production and now basically is under the umbrella of some secondary division on Capcom...

Also production values are...well...not as impressive.

Alienous

Why I got the feel that the whole concept was "downgraded"?. It certainly looked like the next gen AAA production and now basically is under the umbrella of some secondary division on Capcom...

Also production values are...well...not as impressive.

If they can't afford Street Fighter V, I don't know how expansive this project could be.

I agree. With great care and precision did the media play the carrot of DLC horse armor, allowing it to slip in front of our eyes and blind us. Then, they started holding back content just to charge for it. Its like a travesty of what DLC was suppose to be when I first heard about it when Ken Kutaragi outlined his vision for PS2 in March 1999. He said, imagine a world where you could download content and it will take the game to the next chapter? Oh, how that was abused this gen. What you just said, sir, its like a post from Nostradamus himself. Its going to be one helluva next gen!

Clevinger

I think people should keep in mind that the game is now associated with Capcom Online Games. This puts it in the same stable as browser games, smartphone games, social/mobile stuff, and subscription based online Monster Hunter. It doesn't mean it's a MMO, but it does mean that the people in charge of producing and marketing this title are the same guys handling the other stuff I mentioned. Food for thought.

Edit: These threads should give you a good idea of the kind of management which is behind this game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641243

Duckroll, Destroyer of Hope and Dreams

Im so confused. Going off of the first trailer, this was my #2 or #3 most anticipated next gen. Then they show its COG and the trailer is first person and does not show another other players. I would enjoy an online style like Demons/Dark souls as long as there was an offline and/or single player mode. However, if this is an MMO, Capcom just lost my $60.

/anxiously waiting in a corner for more details. :(

Not sure which camp is more deluded: those that can't see a significant downgrade, or those that thought the reveal was totally legit and wouldn't eventually be downgraded.

Ah, it was nice to dream for a while, anyway.

nib95

Banned
Developers are screwing themselves. All these bloody online games. Good luck selling if all the focus with every other game is comprehensive online. Most people tend to stick to only one online game for a lengthy period of time. There's only so much gaming time people have, and online games tend to occupy too much of it. I smell online gaming saturation.

Top Bottom